Infamous: Festival of Blood Review

This is a discussion on Infamous: Festival of Blood Review within the Game Reviews forum, part of the Trophy Guides, Reviews & Articles; Infamous: Festival of Blood Review by Gauss Basic Information: Developer: Sucker Punch Publisher: Sony Computer Entertainment North American Release Date: ...

PRO Member

by Gauss

Basic Information:
    Developer: Sucker Punch
    Publisher: Sony Computer Entertainment
    North American Release Date: 10/25/2011
    European Release Date: 10/26/2011
    Trophies: Yes, 1 | 2 | 11

Overview

Festival of Blood is a standalone DLC for Infamous 2. It’s a Halloween themed chapter in the Infamous universe that takes place sometime during the events of Infamous 2. The story is narrated by Zeke and follows the event of Cole and his attempts to cure himself of his vampirism. As a standalone DLC, Festival of Blood can be played without owning Infamous 2, although the game has the same basic controls and gameplay.

Gameplay

Festival of Blood follows in the footsteps of Infamous 2, which is to be expected considering the DLC tag, but with two pieces removed… There is no EXP or Karma system. Instead there are a set number of upgrades that are unlocked by completing tasks such as destroying vampire hunting parties or finding vampires hidden among crowds.

The real place Festival of Blood shines though is Cole’s new vampire ability which allows him to zip around New Marais and, one upgraded, allows him to instant-kill vampires by colliding with them. Cole’s vampire ability is linked to a new blood meter that replaces the Karma meter. My one problem with this set-up is there is really only one power attached to this meter, and while this power is incredibly useful, it really takes away from a lot of the utility of the meter.

Harpies, one of the new enemies. They are more difficult than their counterparts in Infamous 2.

Along with these powers comes a new focus on melee. Festival of Blood follows typical vampire lore and Cole’s electric powers will only incapacitate them. To actually deliver the killing blow Cole must impale them with the new melee weapon introduced: A silver and wood cross. A second melee weapon, the Barbed Cross, actually is the primary focus of the single-player and, once obtained, allows Cole to instant kill any vampire.

The other addition of note is how vampires fight; it brings a new level of difficulty that was not seen in Infamous 2. Vampires are capable of teleporting around Cole, frequently fights will rely heavily on movement as you attempt to steer Cole around teleporting vampires and dodge their projectiles while trying to incapacitate them with grenades or rockets. Its quite interesting how this one small power and the increase in speed versus Infamous 2’s traditional enemies makes Festival of Blood feel like it fits well on Infamous 2’s difficulty curve.

Festival of Blood doesn’t introduce any revolutionary concepts though; while a lot of fun nothing here makes the game feel truly different from Infamous 2.

Singleplayer

Festival of Blood opens up at a bar where Zeke attempts to get in the pants of a very hot female. Pulling out his best game he tells the story of what happened to him and Cole on Pyre Night, a Halloween-esque celebration in New Marais. Cole, attempting to rescue a group of trapped civilians, ends up ambushed by a vampire and some of his blood is spilled to awake a Vampire queen: Bloody Mary. From that point forward Cole has one night to kill Bloody Mary, or he will forever be her slave.

The story is all about vampires

The story for Festival of Blood is a very standard vampire-flick affair, but in a good way. It has a deliberate sense of b-camp and embraces the over-the-top-ness that comes with the super natural all the way to the fun twist ending.

The story focuses on Cole dealing with his new vampire gifts as he and Zeke attempt to hunt down the only weapon that can kill Bloody Mary: The cross that was originally used to kill her owned by Father Ignatius. Festival of Blood opens up new windows into Zeke and Cole, and manages to fully flesh out a decent villain in Bloody Mary. For a story this short, this was a stroke of genius because the story doesn’t feel like it has the appropriate number of characters and none of them feel rushed.

The story does move quickly though, comprising a total of about 5 hours spread over a handful of missions. Some of the side-content does hash out more character development, Mary’s Teachings, for example, really helps flesh her character out as she recants several outings throughout her long life stretching several centuries.

Technical

Sucker Punch did a great job here. New Marais really changes with Pyre Night. Despite being the same basic landscape the decorations and celebration the NPCs are having make New Marais feel more chaotic and colorful. It really compliments the vampire sub-plot as well as the elements of Pyre Night are connected closely to the story, drawing the life of the world out in full bloom.

Pyre Night feels real.

Infamous 2’s quality soundtrack work is also back with a vengeance. Some of Infamous 2’s music is back, but the new music is really what shines here. It serves to wrap the whole package up beautifully.

My only real complaint is that only one island of New Marais is available, which makes Festival of Blood feel smaller. In the end this is not a big deal as the one island was done wonderfully, but it also makes me question if this would have been better as true DLC rather than standalone DLC. Perhaps it would have felt more like a transformation of New Marais.

Trophies

Festival of Blood is a pretty easy 100%. There is no difficulty requirements and can be done in one playthrough thanks to the lack of any moral choices in FoB. There are a few collection trophies, which are the only time consuming elements of the list, and much like Infamous 2 they are made easy thanks to Cole’s new vampire vision power which, once upgraded) will always point out the nearest collectible. The entire trophy list can be easily completed in 5-7 hours.

Closing Thoughts

Festival of Blood is a good addition to the Infamous universe all things considered. It doesn’t stand up as its own game, but for a DLC its pretty meaty. The story does a great job of moving forward and maintaining interest and is a great example of something I’ve been convinced of since Infamous 2’s release: Sucker Punch designed a deep enough universe that it can spawn many quality stories. Festival of Blood is a short, but fun Halloween tale. Considering the price, its well worth playing, and I have to reflect that in my overall score.

Gameplay: 8/10
    - Not as deep as Infamous 2 since upgrades are fixed. The vampirism brings an interesting gameplay dynamic.

Singleplayer: 8/10
    - The story is short, but is classic horror store fare. It’s a good 5-6 hour play.

Technical: 8/10
    - Sucker Punch did a great job of making New Marais feel different. Pyre Night is alive and well, although I wish the second island was included.

Overall: 8/10 Great
    Last edited by Gauss; 10-31-2011 at 02:37 PM.
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.

Gauss's Rating Rationale:
    0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    2-4: A just plain bad game.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.
    7: An average game, should be played at some point
    8: A good game, should buy at some point
    9: A great game, day-one purchase
    10: A game that goes above and beyond the generation, its transcendent.

PRO Member

I could be wrong, but I thought that Vampire Vision was also tied to the Blood Meter. I thought I noticed it depleting while I was using vision early in the game, but no so much later. Or I could be crazy

Very nice review. This was quite an enjoyable little DLC, and I hope they take some of the elements (flight) and adapt them in InFamous 3.

PRO Member

Great review. I found this to be a fun little Infamous story. It was enough to quench my infamous thirst. I believe Sucker Punch did a really good job and can't wait to see what they do next.

Sig and Avatar by Jondeere

Indie Game Developer

Great review. I highly enjoyed FoB, and I really appreciated it for what it was: an episode set in the infamous universe. The new gameplay elements were a lot of fun (especially the bat-flight) and the enemies put up more of a challenge than the standard goons in inFamous 2. The story was a fun 5 hour diversion, and playing some of the UGC missions was fun too. I like how this game took a very lighthearted and almost cheesy tone, which was nice since the rest of the series has a lot of seriousness to it.

Good game, worth the $10, and definitely worth the $8 if you had PS+.
    Hey. Hey. Look. Look at me. I'm playing video games.

PRO Member

I dont know how but i actually downloaded it for free

PRO Member

Great review! It is certainly an enjoyable experience for the asking price.

Sig by Bladia

Lvl 2 - Bronze

This game was easy at first game and I wanna clarify one thing this game isn't DLC its actually full game this game also has no part of infamous 2.

Buy my book, Alteration

Nice review. It was nice, but not enough meat to be it's own game.

Sig by DaRe
    Click the sig and be whisked away to my checklist (now with updates!)! Or click here to visit my YouTube channel!
    Author of Alteration, now available!

The One and Only

I don't want to read alot of this review so I can play the DLC and not know alot of what to expect before playing it. I'm glad to see it's an 8/10, because now I can decide to get a PSN card and get this game much earlier than expected.

Siggin' since June 2012 | Sig, Avy, and Bar Made by Me | Platcard made by djunglist
    DaRe's Journey of Art
    Drawings on first post, sig showcase on second.

DaRe's Adventures v5.20
    My Trophy Checklist getting revived soon!

Free-Style Signature Request Shop
    My sig shop, currently open!

DareCity701
    My dA account.

My YouTube Channel

Please subscribe today!

Requests Due: 0
    Collabs Due: 0

Digital Terror

great review

Lvl 9 - Gold

I really enjoyed this. It was a very fun little 5-hour diversion that I played through last Friday night. The only part that I didn't enjoy was the same thing I didn't like about inFAMOUS 2: the UGC trophy. Luckily, for anyone else who hates it as much as I do, if you change your UGC settings to find the most popular trending missions, there are a set of missions called "Play. Create. Scare. XX", where the XXs are a two-digit number starting at 01, and they're all linked, so if you find one and complete it, it prompts you to do the next one. They finish at the same point they start, so you can rack up completions really quickly this way. If you really enjoy playing the UGC, there are about a dozen featured missions that are very well done and take great advantage of the new Comic Book slide creator, and offer some interesting insight into the characters and expand on the story, even if they are largely fanfic-ish.
    And the Shadow Swarm ability is amazingly fun, especially once you max out your Blood Meter. Flying through the sky and around buildings until it's almost empty, dropping out of flight mode onto a street of civilians and grabbing one to quench your thirst, then (for flare) jumping into the air and activating Shadow Swarm again to take off into the night never got old, and I spent a good ten minutes just flying around the island like this.
    Overall, really good DLC for the price, and well worth it for any fan of inFAMOUS.

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by xxmirxx View Post
    this game isn't DLC its actually full game this game also has no part of infamous 2.
    Yup, Sony calls it "Standalone DLC."

Red Alert 3 had a similar setup with their DLC.

You don't need to clarify this, I explain this in the Overview section.
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.

0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.

Renegade Time Lord

Quote Originally Posted by Gauss View Post
    Yup, Sony calls it "Standalone DLC."

Red Alert 3 had a similar setup with their DLC.

You don't need to clarify this, I explain this in the Overview section.
    I think what he was getting at was that FoB is not Canon by which as you say in your Overview that it takes place sometime during inFamous 2 when in actual fact it does not take place in inFamous 2 at all. Sucker Punch even said this themselves. It is just Zeke telling a story.
    Hello, I'm so pleased to finally see you. I'm The Doctor and I will be your victim this evening, are you my mummy?

Avatar, Signature and Banner by Bladia. Thank You!

Lvl 2 - Bronze

This game looks so sweet. Cannot wait to get it.

PRO Member

I agree with the review, and the only time-consuming part of it was the UGC trophy, which varied depending on how serious each content creator was with building their mission. On the whole, it was a nice, short break from longer games, and a lot of fun.

It was also a slight, but good tweak of the standard formula of "Game X... now with Zombies!" I know vampires and zombies are not exactly apples and oranges, but there are tons of zombie games or DLCs, and it's good to see something just a little different for a change. Nice to give blood suckers their moment in the sun... so to speak.

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by LordZargus View Post
    I think what he was getting at was that FoB is not Canon by which as you say in your Overview that it takes place sometime during inFamous 2 when in actual fact it does not take place in inFamous 2 at all. Sucker Punch even said this themselves. It is just Zeke telling a story.
    1) Well if thats the case he is wrong or using a personal definition of DLC... Its called Standalone DLC by all press material. Sony is saying it IS DLC and DLC does not imply its 'canon,' as such I call it DLC.

2) I say its a story narrated by Zeke, but nowhere do I say or imply its canon. It takes place sometimes during Infamous 2 because

Toggle Spoiler

It has to take place within that time-frame simply because those two things are true. Period. Zeke is telling the story, but the story he tells takes place sometime during Infamous 2.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Awesome review and was a fun game to 100%
    Maybe they left the 2nd island locked for another stand alone dlc!? That would be cool

IF YOU NEED TROPHY HELP JUST ASK ME. DO NOT SEND A BLANK FRIEND REQUEST

The One and Only

Quote Originally Posted by weeztha View Post
    Awesome review and was a fun game to 100%
    Maybe they left the 2nd island locked for another stand alone dlc!? That would be cool
    Indeed. I would be excited for it if they do

Siggin' since June 2012 | Sig, Avy, and Bar Made by Me | Platcard made by djunglist
    DaRe's Journey of Art
    Drawings on first post, sig showcase on second.

DaRe's Adventures v5.20
    My Trophy Checklist getting revived soon!

Free-Style Signature Request Shop
    My sig shop, currently open!

DareCity701
    My dA account.

My YouTube Channel

Please subscribe today!

Requests Due: 0
    Collabs Due: 0

Lvl 2 - Bronze

I hope they will make another DLC but with more models and sounds, it gets boring after a while :/ but its a really good game ;p completed in 1 day, (4/5 hours) (all trophies)
    69 Games, Average % Game Completion 56.5%
    Updated 27/12/2013