Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Battlefield 3 Review

This is a discussion on Battlefield 3 Review within the Game Reviews forum, part of the Trophy Guides, Reviews & Articles; Battlefield 3 Review by Curse Basic Information: Developer: DICE Publisher: Electronic Arts North American Release Date: 25th October 2011 European ...

PRO Member

Battlefield 3 Review

Battlefield 3 Review
    by Curse

Basic Information:
    Developer: DICE
    Publisher: Electronic Arts
    North American Release Date: 25th October 2011
    European Release Date: 28th October 2011
    Trophies: 1 4 6 22

Overview
    It seems to be impossible to look at a website, walk into town or watch TV without being bombarded by Battlefield 3 and Modern Warfare 3 advertisements. These are exciting times for some people, in what's became one of the biggest ever 'gaming rivalries', the two franchises have split crowds creating massive discussions worldwide. But behind all of the hype, what really lies within Battlefield 3?

Gameplay
    The feel of any Battlefield game is unique, it has its own slower feel that works for it, with focuses on areas that are often ignored by other developers. Areas like attention to making the maps you play feel much more alive with the destruction capable with the game. There's a big influence on driving vehicles and a massive influx of modern weapons there for you to use. The biggest change is the change in game engine to the brand new Frostbite 2.0 engine. With frostbite the main thing you'll notice is the change in destruction. When you hit a wall with explosives, you'll feel it, and so will the wall. Chunks of concrete go flying through the air and the debris dropping to the road below possibly killing any passers by. So you'll see a group of enemies held out in a building and your teams new goal will be trying to take out their cover.

Of course, the destruction was present in the bad company series, but this just makes the bad company games look like a fun side project. DICE's knowledge in making a great FPS has been put to the test in creating Battlefield 3 to tackle the giant of Call of Duty, and in my opinion Frostbite 2.0 sets the game apart from others in a big way. The character movement feels very real, with little things such as a vaulting system for getting over low surfaces rather than blindly jumping. Camera sway when you're sprinting. The whole thing feels really refined, and whilst its a bit weighty it works with this heavier feel, it actually feels like your character is moving realistically.

Frostbite 2.0 looks astonishing in places

In terms of guns and vehicles, I've yet to find any flaws. Of course I have no experience with the true handling of anything in the game, it's all based on past experience from games and common knowledge. But everything feels like it has enough realism without being too close to a simulator in the handling aspects. You can feel the huge difference between the assault rifles and the LMG's, there is a massive range of assault rifles that all handle differently. Sniper rifles all have their own unique twists in terms of range and damage. The shotguns combined with different attachments all reach incredibly different ranges etc. The vehicles are such great fun, there's something satisfying about absolutely hammering your tank towards an enemy base, pushing it to its limit all to secure those few more kills. Your support gunner will be above wasting any foot soldiers whilst you go to town on obliterating the buildings surrounding you.

The helicopter physics are great but it takes a while to adjust to it (The only other games where I'm familiar with the controls would be Bad Company 2 and GTA 4) as it's a much more sensitive control scheme. Once I mastered the basics I began to try some more advanced maneuvers, time after time I ended up nose first in the sand. But it's not a problem, the learning curve may be steep but it's such good fun to try out. The same goes for the jets, the last experience I had was with Battlefield 2 all of those years ago. They're difficult to get to grips to, and a lot of players will give up on it due to this, but once you start getting there it's such a fun experience whether you're trying to gun down enemy vehicles or finish off a dog fight against an enemy plane.

Singleplayer
    Battlefield was never created to wow players with a single-player experience, from the announcement I knew I'd be buying it for the rich online mode rather than a story. With Bad Company 1 & 2, it was a different playing field. They were creating a funny story with comical characters, based around over the top destruction that players were not used to. It was bound to work, and compared to the task they have here with Battlefield 3. The single-player portion for Battlefield 3 is like an over the top action film, you want to be being wowed by crazy action, dramatic sequences and a fair amount of connection with what's happening around you. After playing the single-player I felt somewhat disconnected throughout.

The opening mission had me buzzing, so to say, but the format of the story just didn't grab me. With the first mission you're dropped straight into the action and you want to keep going, the pace is great, but then you're taken back in time to an interrogation of your character. The way they place you in missions is by having sections in the interrogation room, you'll be forced to tell the next part of the story and that's portrayed by the mission.

Charging through beautiful sections like this really creates a sense of atmosphere, shame it isn't recurrent throughout the game

The missions feel fairly linear and nothing out of the ordinary, no boundaries are being broken. There were times when I was on the edge of my seat, picking out the right spot to move to, observing the enemy position and this was great fun. But these moments were not much of a regular occurrence. The interrogation sequences just felt bland, due to the circumstances of what's happening it's an incredibly stressful time. You'd expect the interrogators to be breaking down, begging and getting really aggressive with your character. Instead you've got one guy being constantly mad, and one taking it fairly easy.

Whilst I appreciate that this is probably some form of technique behind getting information out of people, in these circumstances it really isn't convincing. And due to me not being able to connect to this key part of the story, there weren't many times where I was truly interested in what was happening. I'd be shooting guys, but I wouldn't know who or why, I wasn't affected by any of it. Not to say that the game doesn't have its moments, but for the most part it's fairly lackluster.

Multiplayer
    The competitive multiplayer is a true masterpiece. If you're into that kind of thing. It caters beautifully to those who are fans of Battlefield, as a Battlefield fan I can't really ask for much more from this. However, any newcomers to the franchise, whether you've never played online shooters or you're only really used to the faster paced likes of call of duty may not appreciate this, due to the natural pacing of Battlefield. Certain maps combat this fantastically, but there may still be one to many moments where the player is left travelling on foot for a few minutes, only to get shot down due to your inexperience when you do arrive. I can imagine this could lead to a frustrating experience with the game, and for the less patient among us to finish without giving the game a chance. But I can assure you that it really is worth your time, once you get adjusted to the pacing and feel of Battlefield 3

The gameplay improvements compliment the online play perfectly, and the well laid out maps ups the pace compared to what we're used to from Battlefield. The Rush gamemode displays this more so than others, due to the nature of the gamemode you're constantly moving to new positions on the map, which stops the game from feeling stale. In different maps you'll be changing from long range to medium and short range combat, meaning you'll be constantly adapting your approach and kits to match whats happening around you. Whilst every kit is effective, for obvious reasons different choices will be more effective than others, and there's this sometimes overwhelming feeling behind how much depth there is to the guns and accesories, with three different slots for gun attachments you can make the gun feel like your own. Two different additions are the laser sights and flashlights, whilst they've been used before in other games, in Battlefield 3 they can be used to dazzle your opponent. If you shine a laser site in someones eyes it will undoubtedly dazzle them, and all they'll see is red, if you stare into someones flashlight, all you'll really see is a bright white light. All of this looks stunning due to the lighting in Battlefield 3, which I'll be getting to shortly.

As I've mentioned, I'm a big fan of the maps on Battlefield 3, each one feels unique in its own way. Of course because of this there are maps that I didn't favor as much as others, but for the most part there isn't much in terms of a bad map. I'm sure that this will probably change after a lot of time spent on the game but that's only natural. I must say aswell, that even on my less favored maps, when played on Rush there would always be a sequence I enjoyed. Several gamemodes feature in the online, with the main three being Team Deathmatch, Conquest and Rush. Conquest and Rush play in the natural Battlefield style, and they compliment the gameplay and maps really well. My only dig is that they don't always utilize the destruction as much as they could.

Hectic online sequences are terrific to play and look at

One map in the city streets is terrific, by the end of a long game of conquest the surrounding buildings will all be wrecked, and it really looks and feels like a warzone. This is helped by the influence on using vehicles, you'll always be on the look for a tank or helicopter and this keeps you on your toes, and adds variation. Team deathmatch however, does not feel like Battlefield for me. The tempo feels like its been upped a lot, but it doesn't work for me. Whilst it might cater better for others, for me its a no. Squad deathmatch and squad rush are the other two modes, deathmatch is good fun, it really pays to be in a good squad. But squad rush just feels too slow, due to the small amount of players etc.

It is let down occasionally by some connection issues, but with the massive amount of players it's no surprise. DICE are apparently working away at fixing these problems, but I found no real game breaking problems in there. Despite the odd flaw, nothing could beat the scene of a squad working together to take out a tank with an airplane dogfight in the background. Your guy with the RPG gets downed so your medic goes out on a limb to pick him up, the RPG guy gets to his feet and fires away at the tank that's causing mayhem. At the same time a helicopter is passing by with more enemies dropping out of it, and with his dying moves your RPG holder fires a stray RPG at the tank. It can be a beautiful, hectic experience.

However, the co-op mode leaves a lot to be desired. It's a nice addition, but we entered a game online, there was no microphone support, and we're left with a really vague mission. And when I say vague, I mean vague. All we were told was to hold the line as wave upon wave of enemies came flooding in, but it's all heavily scripted, you could be left with one enemy left at some time and until he gets killed, nothing progresses. With no mic support we were clueless as to what we were doing to an extent, we could tag enemies but thats about it. It felt like we were in the early days of this generation, when there are a lot of other great examples of how to make a co-op experience work, this really was a disappointment. There's not a lot more I can say, it just feels so primitive and put a downer on the game for me for a short while

Technical
    The game really prevails in the graphical department, as I've mentioned the lighting effects are possibly the best I've ever seen. Everything looks alive, you'll be running down a street (The running animations look great might I add) and the streetlights will no longer be a boring piece of scenery, the stark contrast between the dark night skies and the bright white lights coming from it. If there's a fire in a dark place it looks stunning, every thing that's lit up just contrasts brilliantly with the dark making a lovely looking graphical style that sets it apart from other shooters. Ontop of the lighting, watching a building crumble looks great. The game sounds great, the guns sound aggressive and realistic, explosions sound like something is actually exploding. The soundtrack fits in really well on both singleplayer and multiplayer. Whilst playing, characters will shout out commands, such as when playing online and you're low on ammo, your character will be shouting in sheer desperation for an ammo pack. All in all it's top-notch in the technical aspect

Trophies
    The game gets you to play every aspect to the end in order to get the platinum, and yes, online trophies are needed. You'll need to get to rank 45 online and complete the co-op and singleplayer sections on hard difficulty. Not too bad in terms of difficulty, but a fair bit of time needed.

Closing Thoughts
    The game is superb, but the co-op and singleplayer both leave something to be desired. Whilst I do wish they'd of put more into that the game does much more than enough to combat it with the multiplayer. The multiplayer is a masterpiece and I'll be playing this for a long time.

Gameplay: 9/10
    Nothing amazingly groundbreaking in the general gameplay, but there have been significant developments over Bad Company 2 and the destruction element through Frostbite 2.0 is great

Singleplayer: 7/10
    Lackluster in general but there are some fun sequences. If they presented the story better I feel like I could've really enjoyed this.

Multiplayer: 9/10
    Only let down by the co-op mode, the competitive online is phenomenal.

Technical: 10/10
    Absolutely stunning looking and sounding game, a great example of how to not follow the norm and still get great results

Overall: 9/10
    Last edited by Curse; 11-06-2011 at 04:14 PM.

PRO Member

Can't say I agree with your assessment, I felt the demo was a solid FPS, but very uninspired.

The finished product must be more refined.
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.

Gauss's Rating Rationale:
    0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    2-4: A just plain bad game.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.
    7: An average game, should be played at some point
    8: A good game, should buy at some point
    9: A great game, day-one purchase
    10: A game that goes above and beyond the generation, its transcendent.

The Bushiest Pig

Good review ... altho I think it should have gotten a 8.5/10. Like you said the SP was lackluster but I personally do not like how many controlls there are and how some are set up. Like to knife? Don't quite like that, as well as to crouch and go prone. They just feel like for what they do they are in inconvinient (can't spell the dam word lol) places. Button layout kind of effects how I liek teh game lol.

Lvl 9 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Gauss View Post
    Can't say I agree with your assessment, I felt the demo was a solid FPS, but very uninspired.

The finished product must be more refined.
    To be honest, even with a proper squad for multiplayer, I find it very boring since there is very little to do.

I think after all these years of playing the same modes and doing the same things, it has just gotten tiring, even with a crisp, powerful engine now implemented.

I wouldn't rate this game any higher than a 7 or 8 to be honest, simply because I find it disappointed to be greeted with a Campaign and Co-op that are just complete tat.

Do it decent, or not at all.

The Bushiest Pig

Quote Originally Posted by HYSTΣR!A⋆➒➑ View Post
    To be honest, even with a proper squad for multiplayer, I find it very boring since there is very little to do.

I think after all these years of playing the same modes and doing the same things, it has just gotten tiring, even with a crisp, powerful engine now implemented.

I wouldn't rate this game any higher than a 7 or 8 to be honest, simply because I find it disappointed to be greeted with a Campaign and Co-op that are just complete tat.

Do it decent, or not at all.
    Kinda feel the same way. Personally I like the Co-op more then the SP. and it seems that the only way you can really enjoy the MP is if you play with friends. Playing alone just plain sucks

Gorilla see, Gorilla do

Can't say I agree also, but whatever floats ya boat.

I presonally enjoyed BC2 more. I'm not even sure what Frostbite 2 has brought to the franchise.

Xbox One GT: I Asari Milk I Steam: AsariMilk

Platinum Dohvakiin

After playing the PC and Console versions of this game this weekend. There's just no way I would give the console version a 9/10. MP would have gotten an 8 max. And with the bugs this game has. It should never get a 10 for technical. But it is your review Curse. And you are entitled to your own opinion. It's just on this one. I would have to disagree with you.

Sig & Avi by:Stupot00
    PlatzReign Supreme
    MLB2K11 Trophy Guide

Currently Playing:Lightning Returns:FFXIII, Dragon Age: Inquisition, Call of Duty: AW

Lvl 1 - Bronze

I totally agree with everything you said. Sick review bro!

Cal
    Lvl 2 - Bronze

i bought it for the singleplayer and for coop wich isnt available in this game like i expected it to be.

graphics i dont care about tbh, the sound however i notice and is impressive.
    But the lack of coop in mp is what killed this game for me.
    Going to the Chapel, Gonna Get Married.

PRO Member

It does depend what you came for in all fairness, as with everything. I adore the online which obviously makes me feel like it overshines the faults thus the score being higher

@Bush; The controls I've gotten used to surprisingly. I'm guessing you've put the same kind of time into it as me, but I feel fully comfortable with the change of control compared to other shooters. My only guess is that it's to take the emphasis off of knifing by taking off the quick press of R3

I played another shooter the other day and I was trying to use BF3 controls im that used to it now

The Bushiest Pig

Quote Originally Posted by Curse View Post
    It does depend what you came for in all fairness, as with everything. I adore the online which obviously makes me feel like it overshines the faults thus the score being higher

@Bush; The controls I've gotten used to surprisingly. I'm guessing you've put the same kind of time into it as me, but I feel fully comfortable with the change of control compared to other shooters. My only guess is that it's to take the emphasis off of knifing by taking off the quick press of R3

I played another shooter the other day and I was trying to use BF3 controls im that used to it now
    Between the SP, Co-op, MP and Beta I probabaly have like 40 hours in. I've gotten used to them but I still don't liek them. I bet when I go to play MW3 I'll be trying to use BF3 controls haha.

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bushpig94 View Post
    Kinda feel the same way. Personally I like the Co-op more then the SP. and it seems that the only way you can really enjoy the MP is if you play with friends. Playing alone just plain sucks
    Yet you were saying MW3 is a GOTY contender in the CB the other day...
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.

Gauss's Rating Rationale:
    0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    2-4: A just plain bad game.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.
    7: An average game, should be played at some point
    8: A good game, should buy at some point
    9: A great game, day-one purchase
    10: A game that goes above and beyond the generation, its transcendent.

The Bushiest Pig

Quote Originally Posted by Gauss View Post
    Yet you were saying MW3 is a GOTY contender in the CB the other day...
    I was saying it was my GOTY choice, like out of games I played :stare:

And what does what I said here have to do with what I said in the CB?

Lvl 9 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Bushpig94 View Post
    I was saying it was my GOTY choice, like out of games I played :stare:

And what does what I said here have to do with what I said in the CB?
    lol, have you not played anything else this year?

Portal 2, Deus Ex 3 and Dead Space 2 are on my GOTY list. So worth slaving over.

The Bushiest Pig

Quote Originally Posted by HYSTΣR!A⋆➒➑ View Post
    lol, have you not played anything else this year?

Portal 2, Deus Ex 3 and Dead Space 2 are on my GOTY list. So worth slaving over.
    I've played Dead Space 2, Homefront, Killzone 3, Resistance 3, Battlefield 3 and Crysis 2. Dead Space 2 was GREAT but I have to factor in the MP and how bad that was. I really life BF3 but the SP was meh and the co-op gets boring quick. From teh videos I've seen about MW3 (I've watched most of the campaign, I couldnt help myself ) I can tell it will be my favorite game this year.

Since Aug. 09

i haven't played SP yet, whats so bad about co op? short missions and kinda easy on hard. those are my complains, pretty fun otherwise. im really enjoying this game, but im with bushpig...MW3 will still rein king. tanks and jets are cool only for so long, i wanna battle face to face. BF is trying way to hard to be a real war simulator, which can NEVER happen. unless they can put a bullet threw my chest from the tv.
    i do mostly agree with the review, nicely done.

Dominate!

PRO Member

Good review, although I can't say I liked this game.

No Matter What

I'm definitely going to be getting this game over MW3, but I just hope they have DLC to add more co-op missions and regular DLC to add a survival mode. I would also love another $20 DLC like Vietnam that adds stuff from another game, maybe 2142? Actually how about a straight up remake of 2142.

"But now in the end I understand that it made be stronger."

Happy Tree Friends
    Come here for some bloody fun

Classic Rap Fans
    The hangout for fans of the Golden Era.

ExDesigns
    A prime spot for quality GFX

|Sig by Dare|

PRO Member

My overall rating is 9.5/10 and agree with must of your review.

Lvl 9 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Shady Death View Post
    I'm definitely going to be getting this game over MW3, but I just hope they have DLC to add more co-op missions and regular DLC to add a survival mode. I would also love another $20 DLC like Vietnam that adds stuff from another game, maybe 2142? Actually how about a straight up remake of 2142.
    theres a dlc coming out in december and a remake of one of the maps in battlefield 1943

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast