Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ratchet and Clank: All 4 One Review

This is a discussion on Ratchet and Clank: All 4 One Review within the Game Reviews forum, part of the Trophy Guides, Reviews & Articles; Ratchet and Clank: All 4 One by Kerwan_Ratchet Basic Information: Developer: Insomniac Games Publisher: Sony North American Release Date: October ...

PRO Member

In a multiverses of different bodies and souls

Ratchet and Clank: All 4 One Review

Ratchet and Clank: All 4 One
    by Kerwan_Ratchet

Basic Information:
    Developer: Insomniac Games
    Publisher: Sony
    North American Release Date: October 18, 2011
    European Release Date: October 19, 2011
    Trophies: 1 , 4 , 6 , 32

Overview
    Our old Lombax friend, his robotic sidekick, the green clown in green and evil genius with a few screws loose all team up in the latest Ratchet and Clank game from Insomniac. Has this game lived up to its worthy predecessors, or has it taken the evitable turn for the worst?

Gameplay
    Ratchet and Clank is probably best known for its meticulous and ridiculously fun gameplay. After taking a dab in the shooter genre with Gladiator, the gameplay continuously kept improving from Tools of Destruction, before giving us the innovative Clank time mechanics and more in A Crack In Time. Where does that lead up to in R&C A4O?

You basically get a similar experience for the most part that you got in the previous games; you bought and upgraded bizarre weapons, you solved puzzles and leapt across bottomless pits, and you used as many gadgets as you could possibly handle. Itís all here in Ratchet and Clank: A4O, but it doesnít do it quite as well as it did in the previous games. The camera angle continuously struggles to keep with you and your buddies, for instance. Itíll be jerking all over the place, and youíll be unable to focus on your objective simply because you cannot get to it. Even as the AI characters will be busying doing something else that they happen to believe is more important than the situation or objective at present.

Team effort is often a requirement.

The controls also infuriate you time after time. Youíll often clear a gap and then suddenly slip off for no apparent reason. Other annoying quirks like getting the aim and select weapon analog sticks confused are more plentiful than they should, and will most likely turn you off after a short while.

Never the less, the gameplay is as fun youíd expect it to be, and with the classic bolts, creates and more, A4O does at least do the franchise dignity by supplying us with enjoyable gameplay and co-op craziness. Now that youíre able to play with a total of four people youíll have action and carnage a plenty as you all rush to the bolts or rescue a friend from a close shave with a razor saw. As expected, many puzzles and bosses can only be beaten with steady co-operation from all four players. The sense of victory achieved from pure teamwork is well worth the effort in every instance. Having a few buddies over or playing with other gaming dweebs online is a blast. The clunky controls are slightly less noticeable in co-op, which is a great thing as there are enough problems playing co-op as it is thanks to the jerky camera angles.

Thankfully for previous entries in the series brushes with glitches have been kept to a minimal. All 4 One has obviously decided to make up for it, as the glitches are worse than they should be at any rate. Youíll regularly die expectedly; the enemies will be un-killable or certain section nigh-on impossible unless done with fewer or less people. The Ratchet and Clank franchise has built itself on tight controls and ridiculously fun gameplay; and whilst it still has that the game feels as if itís been rushed and dumbbed down.

Ratchet and Clank: A4Oís gameplay is close enough to the core to remind us of its origin, but simultaneously itís too far to match up to any other previous installment on any scale. The glitches are also more than annoyance, but you can get by for a good amount of the time.

Singleplayer
    Our two heroes can never seem to catch a break, can they? From stopping Dr. Nefariousí plan to turn the universeís inhabitants into robots and being held hostage by an organization baying for blood, to running from a certain Cragmite and racing against time, Ratchet and Clank have always had their more than fair share of action and adventure in a (mostly) light-hearted universe. The stories were always comical and intriguing, particularly A Crack In Time which possessed the most powerful and awe-inspiring stories ever created by Insomniac Games. Plenty of replay value and goodies always kept you coming back for more through the fantastic campaign.

He's even cuter upside down...

So what went wrong this time?

Ratchet and Clank have finally decided to retire from playing the roles as heroes, but the universe has other plans for them. Captain Qwark and Dr. Nefarious are also thrown into the confusion as the four are marooned in foreign territory and struggle to find a way back home. Now, as if this didnít sound tacky enough as the four work together to get home they come across Ephemeris the Creature Collector and have to save the universe once again. This sounds the standard procedure for Ratchet and Clank, but in truth itís anything but. The story gets no form of attention or care of any sort. You wouldnít be able to care less about our heroes or what theyíre getting up to this time. Thereís nothing to hold your interest or imagination. Youíll trudge through the levels continuously without even noticing them slip through your fingers, and then youíll come to the end of the single-player in near to no time at all with a story that is underwhelming simple and poorly constructed.

Even the level design is simple and straight forward. Youíll clear gaps, fire your guns, solve simple puzzles and plod along with barely anything holding your interest. Itís tragic that Insomniac had to soil the franchises reputation for their lengthy and enjoyable single-player campaigns. Instead they give us the complete polar opposite. Avoid like verenal disease.

Multiplayer
    If thereís one area where R&C A4O shines the most itís in the co-op without a doubt. Solving puzzles, leaping across gaps and exchanging insults with three other buddies is a pure blast. Itís enough reason to play the game alone; not that thereís many other reasons at all that this.

All four of 'em happen to the same height? Interesting, no?

As enjoyable as it may be Ė the server issues cause a severe headache. Constant lobby crashes, excruciatingly long loading times, connection errors and more will send you into an occasional fit. Even when youíve created the lobby the game will freeze suddenly when someone wants to join. Youíll be unable to exit out as they attempt to join the lobby, and then in the end they wonít end up joining. Even finding a lobby that isnít full can prove to be a challenge, and for some reason people seem to be fighting over Ratchet Ė which cuts down the available lobbies even more so.

But when you do happen to find a lobby that you can have a game in Ė or get three friends to share with the tiny couch with at home, youíll enjoy the co-op even more so. Firing your guns rapidly together to create an explosive effect and working together with each of your unique abilities is somewhat similar to LittleBigPlanet, albeit a much timid version.
    The multiplayer is enjoyable, explosive and will get a few good laughs out of you. The many problems with match making and alike will frustrate you, but for the worst part itís worth putting up with it until the end.

Technical
    Rich and deep colours inspired the artistic visuals behind R&C A4O, as well as a silky smooth framerate and very rare moments of slow-down or texture pop-in. They arenít as smooth as R&C ACiT, nor are they as technically outstanding, but they do a fine job regardless.

The soundtrack is designed by Boris Salchow, the same mind behind the works of ACiTís soundtrack. Comical and light-hearted tunes occupy your mind as you play through the game; though itís noticeably less brilliant than ACiTís. The audio design is above average at best, neither being particularly poor nor fantastic.

Trophies
    The trophies in R&C A4O are ridiciously easy; with trophies given away at almost every point for minimal effort. This is a platinum that you could possibly earn in a single day. The trophy names, however, are as creative and crude as you'd expect 'em to be. You will need a friend or two over to get your "4play" platinum, though.

Closing Thoughts
    Ratchet and Clank: All 4 One shows us exactly what happens when you turn a series into something that is the complete polar opposite of the previous games. Itís almost as if Insomniac Games wanted to disappoint their fanbase. A4O doesnít feel like a feel Ratchet and Clank game, and if it werenít for the title name the game would be called back off the shelves. The comical humour and enjoyable co-op do ease the pain of seeing this franchise hit rock bottom, but maybe this is just another lesson learned; and our creative designers at Insomniac have humbly released their mistake and will bring the real franchise and its dignity back.

You got what you deserved Insomniac.

Gameplay: 6/10
    Ratchet and Clank meets LBP but dramatically dumbed down. Pah.

Singleplayer: 2/10
    Short, lackluster, and over the top dull. Nothing here for someone above five years old.

Multiplayer: 8/10
    Get a few partners together and you'll be spending a great few hours together. That is if you can actually get in a game.

Technical: 7/10
    Stunning visuals but poor audio.

Overall: 6/10
    Last edited by Kerwan_Ratchet; 11-07-2011 at 03:32 PM.

Buy my book, Alteration

Whoa, didn't see that coming! Especially from Kerwan! My friend's got this, so some co-op fun would be nice. Nice review Kerwan.

Sig by DaRe
    Click the sig and be whisked away to my checklist (now with updates!)! Or click here to visit my YouTube channel!
    Author of Alteration, now available!

The One and Only

Bah, I'm not surprised to see the low score, but I'll still give this game a go anyway

Anyway nice review. Of course I'll have to play the game before I can make any disagreements to it, so in that perspective nice review.

Siggin' since June 2012 | Sig, Avy, and Bar Made by Me | Platcard made by djunglist
    DaRe's Journey of Art
    Drawings on first post, sig showcase on second.

DaRe's Adventures v5.20
    My Trophy Checklist getting revived soon!

Free-Style Signature Request Shop
    My sig shop, currently open!

DareCity701
    My dA account.

My YouTube Channel

Please subscribe today!

Requests Due: 0
    Collabs Due: 0

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by digitalman123 View Post
    Whoa, didn't see that coming! Especially from Kerwan!
    I may be a fan but I'm not a fanboy.
    I can't say I'm surprised at the game myself though.

Retired TGT Member

The problem was I didn't set my expectations for this game properly. I wanted something as good as or better than a Crack in Time, and this game is a different category, like apples and oranges. I like that the SP campaign got a 2/10, sounds about right to me.

Nice work Kerwan.

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by antoniosbandana View Post
    The problem was I didn't set my expectations for this game properly. I wanted something as good as or better than a Crack in Time, and this game is a different category, like apples and oranges. I like that the SP campaign got a 2/10, sounds about right to me.

Nice work Kerwan.
    Thanks. My problem was that I wanted it to be a near carbon copy of ACiT.

Trophy Huntin'

To be honest, i saw this score coming from a mile away. I didn't really have high hopes for this game. The whole idea seemed pretty flawed and kiddy from the get-go. Not to mention I got to try a demo at the San Diego Comic Con. But whatever, i'll probably try it out eventually. I mean I probably won't buy it, but it'll be a nice rental i'd assume as well as an easy plat.

Crocodile Hunter

its sad to read this and see A4O failed, i suspected it would

Sig by Apokolypz

Lvl 6 - Silver

ill be honest i knew what the game looked like before it came out and knew it wasnt gonna be like a crack in time but i enjoyed the game.but no replay value for me just an easy platinum

Lvl 9 - Gold

Honestly, Tools of Destruction and A Crack in Time are the only R&C games I've ever played. I thought they were both really good. So when I saw that the next one was going to be some cumbersome, diluted, MP-focused 4-player grabbag of ass, I knew instantly it was going to be bad. I didn't expect it'd be this bad, but it really doesn't surprise me. I'm glad I had no hopes for this game, or intentions to buy it.
    Good review, Kerwan.

Retired

I think this will be good for me, because I'm not expecting a Ratchet and Clank game.. Well R&C's brother game (Sly Cooper) better be better!

Quartercircle Forward.

Thought you were going to be biased... but it seems not. Good to see you gave an honest score. Still, I may try this someday

Sigs & Beyond [Requests].
    Want a Sig/Banner/Avatar? Click here!

Giftage
    Thanks Guys! <3

deviantART
    Awesome Sig Gifted by Prosthetic. Epic avatar by Kid420247.

-My Soul Calibur V Match Thread!-

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ac3dUd3- View Post
    its sad to read this and see A4O failed, i suspected it would
    It was inevitable.

Quote Originally Posted by unchartednick13 View Post
    ill be honest i knew what the game looked like before it came out and knew it wasnt gonna be like a crack in time but i enjoyed the game.but no replay value for me just an easy platinum
    Indeed. It's basically copied CoD's style of replay-value and SP I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by AizawaYuuichi View Post
    Honestly, Tools of Destruction and A Crack in Time are the only R&C games I've ever played. I thought they were both really good. So when I saw that the next one was going to be some cumbersome, diluted, MP-focused 4-player grabbag of ass, I knew instantly it was going to be bad. I didn't expect it'd be this bad, but it really doesn't surprise me. I'm glad I had no hopes for this game, or intentions to buy it.
    Good review, Kerwan.
    Thanks. Believe me, it's even woth playing the PS2 ones if you're a true R&C fan.

Quote Originally Posted by D1mech View Post
    Thought you were going to be biased... but it seems not. Good to see you gave an honest score. Still, I may try this someday
    I'm sorry to disappoint you, good sir.

The Old Guy

I might be convinced to give this game a 7, but I wouldn't go any further than that, and I think you're pretty much on the money with your critiques. R&C games have always been relatively easy, and ACIT is one of the easiest platinums I have, but this one is on a whole different level - you can tell they wanted to make this a game that ANYONE could pick up and play.

The only time you'll have any challenge at all is if you jump into the end of the game with a character who isn't leveled up at all. The co-op can be fun for a while, and I like playing it with my 8 year old son, but it feels more like a game I bought for him than one I bought for myself and just like playing with him.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Some people talk that it's a game for kids. But it always has been. The funny weapons, the cutscenes are still funny, the big arsenal, (ok, not that big anymore but it already was reduced in ACIT) & funny characters. You know what? YOU are growing too old for these days OR play too much BF & COD. I say its a great game and yeah ok, the characters look different but i care about the gameplay and many others should. And Coop? A damn nice new feature! I give it a 8.5! (Even though you cant give a .*number*)

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigBoss672 View Post
    Some people talk that it's a game for kids. But it always has been. The funny weapons, the cutscenes are still funny, the big arsenal, (ok, not that big anymore but it already was reduced in ACIT) & funny characters. You know what? YOU are growing too old for these days OR play too much BF & COD. I say its a great game and yeah ok, the characters look different but i care about the gameplay and many others should. And Coop? A damn nice new feature! I give it a 8.5! (Even though you cant give a .*number*)
    I disagree; the previous R&C games may have been child friendly, but that doesn't mean they were directly for kids. Let's have a quick count shall we? Going Commando, Up Your Arsenal, Quest for Booty, Tools of Destruction, A Crack in Time, and best of all: Size Matters. Come on, can't you see a patten here, eh?

And another thing, if you want to tell me that I'm growing too old for these games I'll let you know that I'm a massive R&C fanboy, and I happen to be 16 years old. And maybe if you want to actually look at my PSN profile you'll see that I don't have a single CoD or BF game. In fact I only even have a single FPS - only made by Insomniac. Sorry to disappoint you?

Quote Originally Posted by ONUOsFan View Post
    The only time you'll have any challenge at all is if you jump into the end of the game with a character who isn't leveled up at all. The co-op can be fun for a while, and I like playing it with my 8 year old son, but it feels more like a game I bought for him than one I bought for myself and just like playing with him.
    Indeed. I still look at it on my shelves and wonder what it's doing there. If Insomniac ever wanted to prove that the R&C franchise weren't for kids alone then they've done the complete opposite.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by Kerwan_Ratchet View Post
    I disagree; the previous R&C games may have been child friendly, but that doesn't mean they were directly for kids. Let's have a quick count shall we? Going Commando, Up Your Arsenal, Quest for Booty, Tools of Destruction, A Crack in Time, and best of all: Size Matters. Come on, can't you see a patten here, eh?

And another thing, if you want to tell me that I'm growing too old for these games I'll let you know that I'm a massive R&C fanboy, and I happen to be 16 years old. And maybe if you want to actually look at my PSN profile you'll see that I don't have a single CoD or BF game. In fact I only even have a single FPS - only made by Insomniac. Sorry to disappoint you?
    Nah, you don't disappoint me. I never said that they were directly for kids. I said they were pretty childish. (<--- With that word, i didn't mean it in a bad way.) I actually don't know what you mean with that order of R&C games except if you mean if it's good or not cause then i vote for UYO.

What a coincidence. I'm 16 too. But i wasn't talking specific to you. I was talking globally. (<--- Bad English?) If i say that a lot have out-grown it, the ones that haven't, will react and the ones that have out grown it, won't react. I hate COD & BF too. You can check my list.

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Kerwan_Ratchet you say this game easy but u haven't even beaten game you shouldn't make review say how easy game if you can't even win platinum.

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by xxmirxx View Post
    Kerwan_Ratchet you say this game easy but u haven't even beaten game you shouldn't make review say how easy game if you can't even win platinum.
    Actually I have beaten it. Just because the trophy didn't pop or I didn't save it doesn't mean I didn't finish it. And besides, it's not my opinion that it's easy; it's a fact. And I think I could platinum it if I wanted, but I'd be wasting my time. If I can platinum Vanquish I can platinum this.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBoss672 View Post
    Nah, you don't disappoint me. I never said that they were directly for kids. I said they were pretty childish. (<--- With that word, i didn't mean it in a bad way.) I actually don't know what you mean with that order of R&C games except if you mean if it's good or not cause then i vote for UYO.

What a coincidence. I'm 16 too. But i wasn't talking specific to you. I was talking globally. (<--- Bad English?) If i say that a lot have out-grown it, the ones that haven't, will react and the ones that have out grown it, won't react. I hate COD & BF too. You can check my list.
    No problem mate. I haven't grown out of it, and I'm glad you're the same.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

NOW we understand eachother. (Lol, don't know why i said that.) Believe me, if i still had my R&C games on the PS2 (Sold all my PS2 games & the PS2 for PS3) i would still be playing them cause they're so awesome.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast