Payday: The Heist Review

This is a discussion on Payday: The Heist Review within the Game Reviews forum, part of the Trophy Guides, Reviews & Articles; Payday: The Heist by Nagflar Basic Information: Developer: Overkill Software Publisher: Sony Online Entertainment North American Release Date: October 18th, ...

Kiwi Defender

Payday: The Heist Review

Payday: The Heist
    by Nagflar

Basic Information:
    Developer: Overkill Software
    Publisher: Sony Online Entertainment
    North American Release Date: October 18th, 2011
    European Release Date: November 2nd, 2011
    Trophies: 18 | 11 | 5 | 1

Overview

Payday is a First Person Shooter that appeared out of nowhere on the PlayStation Store, being offered for free if one bought 4 selected PSN games. Only data available about the game was that the game was an FPS in which you and three other players start various heists in order to become rich. As time passed by, more trailers appeared and some people started to gain interest in the title.

Gameplay

The gameplay is very similar to the one standardized by Call of Duty, even in the button layout aspect. You can crouch, aim with your weapon, reload, melee, and even when your partners get killed, they got into a “Last stand” mode like CoD’s, in which they try to defend themselves with a gun and wait for a partner to revive them (or they go to jail). If anything, you’ll just wonder where the ability to throw grenades of any sort is, but that isn’t really something that’ll bother people.

Right off the bat, first thing you’ll notice is that the aiming is off. No, you won’t fix this by changing the sensitivity at the Options menu, your character simply sucks at aiming (maybe because he’s new to robbing banks and killing people). Naturally, this will be fixed as you keep playing and leveling up in one of the three upgrade trees the game has to offer: Assault, Sharpshooter and Support.

Opening that vault door will take more than shooting cops.

Assault is the kind of thing Rambo lovers will want to upgrade first. It unlocks new weapons, which are usually much more powerful; Sharpshooter is for those who believe accuracy will take them further than the amount of shots their weapon fires; Finally, Support is for those who prefer to help their team so their chances of success increases.

Each rank can be leveled up at will and allows one to “customize” their own character in a certain way thanks to the various unlocks they offer (whether they are new weapons, perks or equipment), meaning that one can have a very balanced team if everyone knows what they are doing, which is something recommendable due to how difficult the game is at times (specially on the harder difficulties).

Singleplayer

The game has a simple premise: you are one of four thugs who decide to make their own heists in order to become rich. This heists vary from stealing a bank, to infiltrating a penthouse and stealing a buttload of diamonds. Of course, this means you have to fight a lot of police officers, and FBI/SWAT agents, which won’t stop storming the place until you get away or get caught.

Starting a heist on a bank, taking hostages and fighting cops until you get the money you came for feels very satisfying.

As you can see, there’s not much of a story and the most you get to know about the characters is their names.
    Level design, while at first glance looks plain, is actually clever: as you progress through the missions, you’ll see that you won’t simply run in a straight line across a corridor, but you’ll have to visit the whole area at some point or another in order to fulfill the objectives. This makes one avoid camping in a single place, due to the constant change of the aforementioned objectives and the constant policemen trying to murder you.

Even with that, the maps do seem small at times and one will feel that they just dragged the missions with the constant drilling/cutting and having to restart the drill/saw, which makes it take much longer than it could. Instead of being able to finish a mission in 8-10 minutes, one finishes them on 15+.

Multiplayer

The multiplayer is the same as the Singleplayer, except that you are no longer playing with AI teammates. This is sometimes good, for you might find experienced players who’ll help you beat missions faster and who’ll even give you a tip or two, but sadly, that’s the best-case scenario.

Teamwork will be required to finish all of the missions on the Overkill difficulty.

More often than not, you’ll go into a lobby and if there are high-level players, they’ll kick you (unless you happen to have a mic, in which case, you’ll need to convince them you are good enough), and when that doesn’t happen, you’ll finish up with a low-level player who thinks he’s good enough to beat the mission on the hardest difficulty, and the mission will result in a disaster. This can get annoying at times, so I would just suggest to either set up a lobby of your own and see who joins, or level up until people start thinking you are good enough to play with them.

Technical

The graphics of the game are nothing out of the ordinary, but they work. Environments look good, character models are realistic and everything looks crisp. It’s no Killzone or Uncharted, but they are more than enough.
    Sound, just like the graphics, works and does what it has to, even if it won’t impress anyone and won’t be on-par with high-budget titles.

I also never found any problem connecting to lobbies or loading up matches, and even though someone told me there were bugs and glitches on the PC version, they seem to be non-existent on the PS3, so that’s a plus.

Trophies

The trophies for the game aren’t really complicated, they are actually very straightforward, like “Complete X mission with a 60% team accuracy on Overkill difficulty”. The real problem arises on the difficulty you have to play on to get some of the trophies, for the missions get pretty insane when your team is clueless as to what you must do. All in all, this is a plat only those with a good team and great communication will be able to get.

Closing Thoughts

Payday is a fun, cheap and entertaining game that you’ll enjoy the most with friends. Even though the gameplay and graphics are ordinary, it’s a great way to kill an hour or two a day after getting bored of playing other games.

Gameplay: 8/10
    Nothing out of the ordinary, but it’s entertaining. You’ll spend a good amount of time trying to level up and unlocking as much stuff as you can, even if the difficulty is a bit exaggerated.

Singleplayer: 7/10
    Nice level designs, but they get repetitive and boring the more you play them.

Multiplayer: 8/10
    Personally, this is the best part of the game. Nothing like teaming up with your friends and shooting up a bank. Lamely, most of the time you play with randoms, you’ll have a hard time or you’ll get kicked.

Technical: 8/10
    Nothing incredible or outstanding, but it is enough.

Overall: 8/10 Great
    Last edited by Nagflar; 07-23-2013 at 02:46 AM.

Lvl 5 - Silver

fair enough room, 8 seems about right
    INTERESTED IN YOUTUBE PARTNERSHIP? APPLY NOW!
    https://partner.makerstudios.com/?re...0UU00000048Wmj
    Check out my Videos!

Administrator

I played the game a little and found it hard to play alone with bots, maybe if I level up enough it will be easy to take the enemies on. The bots were useless in attempting to revive myself when in a sticky situation.

Kiwi Defender

Quote Originally Posted by Breakpoint View Post
    I played the game a little and found it hard to play alone with bots, maybe if I level up enough it will be easy to take the enemies on. The bots were useless in attempting to revive myself when in a sticky situation.
    I know and I agree. This is a game meant to play with other people, specially on the higher difficulties. I've barely been able to finish every mission on normal/hard except for Slaughterhouse with the AI. They are simply too dumb at times.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Player Hater

Great review, Nagflar. Good to see another from you. I quite enjoyed Payday and from what I've played, I'd agree with your review and rating.

Crocodile Hunter

i considered this when i 1st heard about it, my friend has it tho so i might just go to his house one day and play it.... after i finish MW3 and i still have to borrow Batman:AC off him too

Sig by Apokolypz

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Well I personally think th e game is hella fun for the cost and content value it takes me in the middle of the movie heat and Im Val Kilmer runnin top of cars w my FNFAL and my bank loot... no for real tho good game good fun case was made know who your playin w it s better w a solid squad
    ~EnDLesSMinD~

" The square route of 69 = 8 something "

Lvl 9 - Gold

I haven't tried it online yet, but the SP is outstanding. Can't go wrong with co-op games .

Vive La Révelation!

I was unsure of this game, but I think I might rent it after reading your review.
    Avy & Signature by the Legend, Bladia.

Kiwi Defender

Quote Originally Posted by Xx_R3V3LAT1ON_xX View Post
    I was unsure of this game, but I think I might rent it after reading your review.
    The game can only be downloaded via the PlayStation Store, though you could always try the demo.

Quote Originally Posted by Minarum View Post
    I haven't tried it online yet, but the SP is outstanding. Can't go wrong with co-op games .
    Yeah, I thought the same. If anyhting, I'm just kind of mad at how annoying some of the trophies are .

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Vive La Révelation!

Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post
    The game can only be downloaded via the PlayStation Store, though you could always try the demo.

Yeah, I thought the same. If anyhting, I'm just kind of mad at how annoying some of the trophies are .
    Lol, ok well I guess I'll try the demo
    Avy & Signature by the Legend, Bladia.

PRO Member

Game is free on PS store guess Ill have to definitly check it out! Good reveiw thanks Nag

PRO Member

Great review, Nag!

I've been hooked ever since I bought the game in February. You should definitely go back and give the mp another try. The mp is where this game really shines. Most randoms are preferable to the team AI. My biggest complaint is that most new people feel that they need to prove themselves by going "Rambo" and try to kill as many cops as possible instead of completing objectives. I have some minor gripes about the support that Overkill gives the PS3, but I still enjoy the game very much and I'm anxiously awaiting Payday 2.
    IV Card by: cmgravekeeper