Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Review

This is a discussion on Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Review within the Game Reviews forum, part of the Trophy Guides, Reviews & Articles; good review. its a great game. single player, loved every second of it. great way to end the MW series....

Lvl 6 - Silver

good review. its a great game. single player, loved every second of it. great way to end the MW series.
    I still play Black Ops because me and brother have 2 PS3's and share a copy of Modern Warfare 3. So that is why I play it sometimes. Thats the *ONLY* time I play Black Ops! When brother is not playing MW3, I am!

The Old Guy

Quote Originally Posted by DJ_Keyser View Post
    I'm not saying one game is better than the other, but these are the same reviewers that gave AC2 a 10 and AC:B a 9. So that's what I mean by inconsistency. If they stuck by how they truly felt, they would have given Revelations a 9 at least as well, judging by how they reviewed MW3, but this has not been the case. They've had opposite reactions for the same reasons, the definition of insanity pretty much.
    Fair enough.

Crocodile Hunter

great review man

Sig by Apokolypz

PRO Member

In a multiverses of different bodies and souls

Great video review, though I don't completely agree with the score. It's the best CoD 4 DLC yet, though.

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by ONUOsFan View Post
    I don't think I'd "innovate" either, if I was selling 18,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 copies every year, and I don't really think it's fair to give low marks for technical and gameplay just because it's the same as what it was... it's the same because it works, and works better than almost anything else out there.

That being said, your points are all fair and well stated. Nice review.
    I'm not sure everything does work, I haven't really gotten too deep into MW3 to render a verdict but my problem with the CoD series up to this point is the story DOES NOT WORK. The SP the last 2 games has been a series of disconnected set-pieces with characters that are more than vehicles to drive the set-pieces between the exposition.

I've said before CoD garners no respect from me for being popular, popularity and quality aren't correlated.
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.

Gauss's Rating Rationale:
    0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    2-4: A just plain bad game.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.
    7: An average game, should be played at some point
    8: A good game, should buy at some point
    9: A great game, day-one purchase
    10: A game that goes above and beyond the generation, its transcendent.

The Old Guy

Quote Originally Posted by Gauss View Post
    I'm not sure everything does work, I haven't really gotten too deep into MW3 to render a verdict but my problem with the CoD series up to this point is the story DOES NOT WORK. The SP the last 2 games has been a series of disconnected set-pieces with characters that are more than vehicles to drive the set-pieces between the exposition.

I've said before CoD garners no respect from me for being popular, popularity and quality aren't correlated.
    Well, I generally think story is overrated in video games, apart from a very few exceptions, so we'll have to agree to disagree on that one. For the most part, I couldn't care less about the story as long as the game is fun to play.

Crocodile Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by Gauss View Post
    so your saying you dnt respect me because i enjoy the game?
    CoD was my first ever online game and yes i know each new instalment is pretty much exactly the same but i still enjoy it because it is fun...but it seems that you cant understand that?

Sig by Apokolypz

Breakfast and Chill

Great video review, though I don't completely agree with the score. It's the best CoD 4 DLC yet, though.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

WHO DAT!!!!

i dont see how u can compare ACR to MW3...but ok. Great review bro and thanks for that. My score would be somewhere in the 9 range. I also feel if they changed COD it wouldnt be COD....just keep giving me a new story and awesome weapons and im a happy man

Resident PHD

Quote Originally Posted by gixxerrider View Post
    i dont see how u can compare ACR to MW3...but ok. Great review bro and thanks for that. My score would be somewhere in the 9 range. I also feel if they changed COD it wouldnt be COD....just keep giving me a new story and awesome weapons and im a happy man
    But wouldn't you be happier to instead have them release a 10-20$ dlc that would give you new maps and maybe a small single player story (like Undead nightmare or Festival of Blood).

The idea of buying the exact same game over and over and being happy that it isn't different is silly. The people who still play Counter Strike play it because they like it not because they have to buy it over and over.

AWESOME SIG AND AVY BY ALISON CHECK OUT HER WORK HERE

The Old Guy

Quote Originally Posted by dr_mayus View Post
    But wouldn't you be happier to instead have them release a 10-20$ dlc that would give you new maps and maybe a small single player story (like Undead nightmare or Festival of Blood).

The idea of buying the exact same game over and over and being happy that it isn't different is silly. The people who still play Counter Strike play it because they like it not because they have to buy it over and over.
    If you're asking me if I'd rather pay $20 for what I got with MW3 and have them call it an expansion pack, sure, that would be great - but it's not realistic. They're charging $15 for a couple of maps as it is. Why? Because they can.

Right or wrong, it is what it is and it's not going to change, so you have to decide whether or not you think it's worth your money for the amount of enjoyment you get out of it. For me, the answer is yes - I'll spend a lot of hours playing MW3, and it's worth a lot more than some of the "original" games that came out recently and suckered me into paying $60 (I'm looking at you, R&C All 4 One).

Lvl 3 - Bronze

the formula change they should make is stopping Treyarch from making CoD games [email protected] and Blackops were miserable and sucked. MW1-3 were better by comparison but I still have more fun playing Borderlands. I still play it and I platinumed it, that is saying something.
    To compare a pseudo-hack and slash to a FPS is just asinine. It would be like trying to compare Twilight to Transformers. So stop trying to compare AC to MW it doesn't work.
    Compare MW to BBC, Borderlands, and Bioshock or something.

Resident PHD

Quote Originally Posted by Zaraeleus View Post
    the formula change they should make is stopping Treyarch from making CoD games [email protected] and Blackops were miserable and sucked. MW1-3 were better by comparison but I still have more fun playing Borderlands. I still play it and I platinumed it, that is saying something.
    To compare a pseudo-hack and slash to a FPS is just asinine. It would be like trying to compare Twilight to Transformers. So stop trying to compare AC to MW it doesn't work.
    Compare MW to BBC, Borderlands, and Bioshock or something.
    I think what they are comparing is the fact that both games come out every year but AC got slammed for being the same while COD got a pass.

AWESOME SIG AND AVY BY ALISON CHECK OUT HER WORK HERE

Lvl 3 - Bronze

AC is supposed to be the same as a developing story. MW has been the same in just about every way, no co-op mode (although that would be easier than veteran already was) duck run shoot repeat. if you ca find a choke point in MW games the level is a joke. Not to mention they killed every major character in all of their series keeping only

Toggle Spoiler

Guess what? its an FPS... FPS games are usually the same with a few minor exceptions (portal elder scrolls fallout even borderlands)

AC 1 and AC2 were totally different in gameplay and controls. ACB was extremely different in just about every way (minus the combat) from the first two and added the multiplayer mode. havent played revalations yet to compare it. If we are going to smash game for continuity then why hasnt GOW series gotten bashed yet.

I think everyone just has natural biases that wont go away. If you like the games buy them. If not dont play them. I played BBC2 for the first time 2 days after BBC3 came out. Found the game far more enjoyable than MW games to date, wish I had played them before.

PRO Member

I love it how some-one compared MW and AC due to them releasing games with very little innovation, and its now escalated into full out war

Quote Originally Posted by dr_mayus View Post

RDR is a fantastic example of how to keep making money out of the consumers without making it a yearly franchise. I'm sure that RDR made a shit load compared to most games, but not compared to an annual CoD. But do they really need to make that much?

The comparison to Counter Strike is good too, but I think it's a little unfair in a way. People still play CS:S because of the fanbase and clan community. I'm not saying that it's a bad thing, but if say CoD4 still had a CS:S size clanbase and the ability to make custom maps, none of us would be bothered in buying a new CoD. Forcing them into innovating before releasing a new game

Can't blame the companies for making money whilst they can, if no-one did that we'd be living in an entirely different world

Lvl 3 - Bronze

"Can't blame the companies for making money whilst they can, if no-one did that we'd be living in an entirely different world"
    Tell that to the "Occupy" hippies here in the US. Capitalism rules, without profit there is no jobs. Nobody ever innovates for free.

I wouldn't call the lack of change in the games an all out war. I am pretty sure our comparison of the games is one of the most civil flame-free conversations I have seen on the forums.

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by ONUOsFan View Post
    Well, I generally think story is overrated in video games, apart from a very few exceptions, so we'll have to agree to disagree on that one. For the most part, I couldn't care less about the story as long as the game is fun to play.
    Well the story isn't my only complaint, just my primary one, and I do disagree with you on the overrated front seeing as there really isn't alot of good writing in video games right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Ac3dUd3- View Post
    so your saying you dnt respect me because i enjoy the game?
    CoD was my first ever online game and yes i know each new instalment is pretty much exactly the same but i still enjoy it because it is fun...but it seems that you cant understand that?
    Um, I have no idea what you are reading in that statement.

I don't like CoD and have no respect for it, ergo I have no respect for anybody who enjoys the game?

I can't even fathom how that makes logical or rational sense.

Whats more is nowhere in there did I talk about fun, I said popularity and quality aren't correlated.

So I have no idea how you interpreted that comment this way, why is an detraction to a game a detraction against those who play it?

My problem is not with things by in large being the same from one title to the next, its all about what is the same. CoD really HASN'T just been same-y. My problem with it is certain things are regressing title to title and then improve title to title.

Transitioning from MW2 to Black Ops, holy shit it was like polar opposites. MW2's SP was a fucking stupid mess, but it had alot of fun in its MP. Then Black Ops comes along and flips that around with a bland MP, but holy shit did that SP campaign actually have some interest to it. It harkened back to what made MW1 so good.

My problem with CoD is there is only one element of consistency from title to title: The Gameplay. Everything else is so disjointed title-to-title, and everytime I play one its clear where things were and weren't rushed, etc. CoD always makes me feel like "Activision is really rushing this."

NONE of this has anything to do with fun though, problem is just being fun isn't unique in gaming. The entire point of this entire industry is entertainment. If something isn't fun, THATS weird...

And CoD is fun, but its that mindless type of fun that does nothing for anybody. CoD is gaming's version of Micheal Bay films, everything is about set-pieces and explosions and special effects and (in the case of CoD) gameplay or (in the case of MB films) camera angles/framing. CoD is the type of game that I never go back and play after I'm done with it, MW1 is the only CoD this entire gen I've gone back and played after "completing" it.

These things though don't make it the death of gaming or the death of intelligence. I just have perspective though... CoD is gaming's version of a popcorn flick: Its designed to appeal to everybody and challenge nothing. Thats not really that respectable (in my eyes) because thats easy.

I will never fault anybody for saying they enjoy CoDs or saying they are fun, and I'll never argue against their popularity. They just aren't quality titles. They aren't the type of game we, as gamers, should be saying "YES! More of that!"
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.

Gauss's Rating Rationale:
    0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    2-4: A just plain bad game.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.
    7: An average game, should be played at some point
    8: A good game, should buy at some point
    9: A great game, day-one purchase
    10: A game that goes above and beyond the generation, its transcendent.

Lvl 2 - Bronze

I've got to say I really like MW3 despite all the talk of it being MW 2.5...a rehash etc. If it isn't broke why fix it? I mean they did fix quite a few things and the multiplayer is far more balanced than MW2.

As for the comparison people are making between which game is better AC or MW...I love them both but they are compeletly seperate genres. AC definitely has the better storyline, but it is a more story driven game, but if we're talking multiplayer online, MW3 smokes AC in my opinion.
    Last edited by Mavrick; 11-18-2011 at 12:00 PM.

The Bushiest Pig

Quote Originally Posted by Zaraeleus View Post
    I played BBC2 for the first time 2 days after BBC3 came out.
    Umm .... it's BFBC2 and it's Battlefield 3 ( or what your calling BB3) has not relation to BFBC2.

Player Hater

Quote Originally Posted by Curse View Post
    I love it how some-one compared MW and AC due to them releasing games with very little innovation, and its now escalated into full out war
    Yes, I think the point was missed, ha ha. Sorry, I didn't realise the can of worms I was opening. Like I said, I respect your review because I think it was fair. I mentioned in an earlier post, I don't think many would have judged this game on it's merits alone, minus the hype or hate. I think you did well, and didn't fall into the same kind of pressure-trap that a lot of reviewers seemed to.
    Note for people saying to stop comparing MW and AC: I never fucking compared Assassins Creed and MW as games, for fuck's sake. I was comparing their respective REVIEWS and the reasons given for the ratings. Check the words and what they form when they're stringed together in a sentence, y'all, ha ha.
    Note Pt 2: As long as these discussions don't turn into a fan-boy hate war, I think it's quite healthy to have and definitely teaches me a lot more about others opinions, how they're formed, etc. The more I learn about how opinions are formed teaches me a little more respect needless to say, whether someone thinks the same way I do or not, I respect that person for saying what they feel and backing it up with a level-head. (That doesn't count if you just say 'MW3 rulz, u fgt')

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast