Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 31 of 31

Beat Hazard Ultra Review

This is a discussion on Beat Hazard Ultra Review within the Game Reviews forum, part of the Trophy Guides, Reviews & Articles; Originally Posted by Breakpoint Would anyone have some great song suggestions? I'm with Minarum and DJ_Keyser, Dubstep and general electronic ...

  1. #21
    Lvl 9 - Gold
    AizawaYuuichi's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,014
    Reputation
    41

    Quote Originally Posted by Breakpoint View Post
    Would anyone have some great song suggestions?
    I'm with Minarum and DJ_Keyser, Dubstep and general electronic music. I've got some alt. rock and pop-ish rock on my HDD, but it just didn't feel right playing to that kinda music. When I put on something by Nero, remixes of his tracks or Knife Party, the game just comes alive. It's awesome.

  2. #22
    Lvl 9 - Gold
    Minarum's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Your mom's bed, aka Houston, TX
    Posts
    1,102
    Reputation
    27

    Quote Originally Posted by AizawaYuuichi View Post
    I'm with Minarum and DJ_Keyser, Dubstep and general electronic music. I've got some alt. rock and pop-ish rock on my HDD, but it just didn't feel right playing to that kinda music. When I put on something by Nero, remixes of his tracks or Knife Party, the game just comes alive. It's awesome.
    Lol, funny you mention Nero. Nero has the ability to turn the crappiest songs into some of the best

  3. #23
    INTJ
    Ps360's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    12,268
    Reputation
    310

    Quote Originally Posted by DJ_Keyser View Post
    I honestly doubt that would be the case. A twin stick shooter that plays better on PC? About as much chance as an FPS that plays better on consoles.
    WSAD to move, Mouse to aim and shoot, Easiest controls ever made.


    Quote Originally Posted by Gauss View Post
    Maybe, but I'm not reviewing the PC version.

    I'm also not sure what your qualifiers are either... This game has no difficulty curve, no sense of progression in terms of challenging your skill (the game is just a random assortment of levels), and the presentation is completely disjointed. It feels like its paper cutouts of ships laid overtop a light show.

    These things are fundamental to the game, I'm not sure if that changes from version to version. If it does this guy should stop making games because he is incompetent in some manner.

    This game does one thing really well: Its shooting and ship operation mechanics. The core of the gameplay so to speak. I find it difficult to really reward this because I can name 3 dozen twin stick shooters that are just as competent, and this game has nothing on something like Super Stardust HD or Geometry Wars.

    Nothing personal, but why would I want to groove to an 11 minute techno beat on Insane mode in this game when I can boot up Super Stardust and play on a more challenging difficulty level grooving to the exact same tune?

    Overall a game like SSHD is just more enjoyable. More modes, more unique gameplay ideas, more weapon types that actually behave differently and bring a strategy angle to the game. Its better from every angle, and still lets me play to my own soundtrack.



    The Game is simply fun, there's no better way to explain it. it's trying to be a audiosurf, but instead of collecting simple blocks on a road, your shooting everything that is timed to the music. Audiosurf had no RPG leveling system that Beat Hazard had but it was still amazingly fun. Beat hazard is just another game to throw into a genre like that, Fun game to throw your music into.


    There's this one song i love to play in it where it had the perfect timing for everything in the song (It was a DJ Hero song that was a remix of a song, it was called groundhog or something. it was glorious because they had a announcer in the song and whenever he says stuff that involves upping the difficulty, awesome shit happens.) i will never forget that moment, Because Beat Hazard Ultra had to re-make every track event thing when i bought it and it ruined it. those evil programmers.
    Last edited by Ps360; 11-21-2011 at 05:35 AM.

  4. #24
    Player Hater
    DJ_Keyser's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Oztraylia
    Posts
    534
    Reputation
    38

    Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    WSAD to move, Mouse to aim and shoot, Easiest controls ever made.
    WSAD ain't exactly 360 degree movement though... hence the joy of twin-sticks.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    There's this one song i love to play in it where it had the perfect timing for everything in the song (It was a DJ Hero song that was a remix of a song, it was called groundhog or something.
    Noisia - Groundhog

  5. #25
    PRO Member
    Gauss's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,243
    Reputation
    98

    Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    The Game is simply fun, there's no better way to explain it. it's trying to be a audiosurf, but instead of collecting simple blocks on a road, your shooting everything that is timed to the music. Audiosurf had no RPG leveling system that Beat Hazard had but it was still amazingly fun. Beat hazard is just another game to throw into a genre like that, Fun game to throw your music into.
    I'm arguing its not all that fun though. I didn't find anything to be particularly well "timed" other than the pulsing movements of the enemies. I actually ran a little test to confirm this when writing this review by waiting out various enemies on certain waves during a song.

    The logic is the same as every other twin-stick shooter employs, there is no actual syncing with the music... Its ALL cosmetic changes, and since I find many of the cosmetic changes annoying (i.e. the entire background).

    So MY point is:

    Competent Twin Stick Shooter + Marketing Gimmick + Sub-par Graphics = Beat Hazard Ultra.

    I didn't find this game simply fun, I found several other titles available on the PSN simply fun. This game is average.

    The guy gets props from me because for a single guy coding this he did a remarkable job, but I can't change my opinion or analysis based on that fact. Its no different than if I said "well, this game is developed by this studio so I need to adjust my score a bit."
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.


    Gauss's Rating Rationale:
    0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    2-4: A just plain bad game.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.
    7: An average game, should be played at some point
    8: A good game, should buy at some point
    9: A great game, day-one purchase
    10: A game that goes above and beyond the generation, its transcendent.

  6. #26
    Lvl 9 - Gold
    Minarum's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Your mom's bed, aka Houston, TX
    Posts
    1,102
    Reputation
    27

    Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    WSAD to move, Mouse to aim and shoot, Easiest controls ever made.
    Yah... 8 directions vs. full 360.... no contest. Dual sticks ftw over keyboard/mouse anyday.

  7. #27
    INTJ
    Ps360's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    12,268
    Reputation
    310

    Quote Originally Posted by Minarum View Post
    Yah... 8 directions vs. full 360.... no contest. Dual sticks ftw over keyboard/mouse anyday.

    Precision over messy movement anyday.

    wonder why PC users dominate Console users to the point microsoft abandoned Cross platforming due to it?


    The release of CS:Go will further my case (PS3/PC Cross platforming)

  8. #28
    Player Hater
    DJ_Keyser's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Oztraylia
    Posts
    534
    Reputation
    38

    Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    Precision over messy movement anyday.

    wonder why PC users dominate Console users to the point microsoft abandoned Cross platforming due to it?


    The release of CS:Go will further my case (PS3/PC Cross platforming)
    Yes, but we're talking FPS vs twin-stick shooters. I already agreed that FPS on mouse and keyboard is better than console. Twin-stick shooters will always be better with dual-analogue control. Please don't bring up the fact you can use a Xbox controller with your PC, that will only prove my point.
    Another case in point: sports games. Playing FIFA or any other sport game on PC is akin to pulling teeth when compared to a controller.
    Face it... PC's aren't better at everything. Neither are consoles. Neither have the right to take the high ground on gaming in general. Different games are optimally played in different ways. Beat Hazard Ultra strikes me as the type of game that has found a home on consoles.

  9. #29
    PRO Member
    Gauss's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,243
    Reputation
    98

    Um... No, the very notion that this is why cross-platform gaming was eliminated is irresponsibly misleading. I think its pretty obvious why when you actually look at when it was eliminated and what was going on in FF11 at the time. Cross-platform gaming was eliminated because MSoft was worried about PC-related hacks/programs creating widespread problems for the 360 environment.

    I like how you linked an article that talks about the precision input method of the mouse and reference this game as a good example of it... When by definition the console has the more precise input method in this example because one of your movement axis is confined to WSAD (equivalent to a 4-axis map). Assuming you want to follow the actual definition of precise, PS3 joystick is more precise.

    I'd like to add to the article too that its ignoring entire genres... Not every genre is easier to play with a PC because of the nature of the mouse. Logically speaking the reason the mouse is better suited for FPS/RTS is because the mouse is controlling a single point moving along a 2D plane precisely and with high resolution.

    What its not good for is control that is highly directional in nature and requires transitions or control not related to position, but velocity and/or direction. You actually add alot of math in calculation for platforming/side-scrolling/fighting/twin-stick/etc games, and I find 3PSs and RPGs to be a wash between the two (some areas consoles are superior, others PCs are superior).

    Lastly, how much of this is a by-product of the fact that PCs tend to be on faster, more efficient networks? Centralized online gaming hasn't been on the console stage for but a generation, its been commonplace on the PC for more than a decade.
    Last edited by Gauss; 11-22-2011 at 11:18 AM.
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.


    Gauss's Rating Rationale:
    0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    2-4: A just plain bad game.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.
    7: An average game, should be played at some point
    8: A good game, should buy at some point
    9: A great game, day-one purchase
    10: A game that goes above and beyond the generation, its transcendent.

  10. #30
    Lvl 9 - Gold
    Minarum's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Your mom's bed, aka Houston, TX
    Posts
    1,102
    Reputation
    27

    Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    Precision over messy movement anyday.

    wonder why PC users dominate Console users to the point microsoft abandoned Cross platforming due to it?


    The release of CS:Go will further my case (PS3/PC Cross platforming)
    Way to avoid the topic and go on to another. Since DJ Keyser and Gauss have already replied, you might wanna keep that foot in your mouth the rest of the conversation as usual....

  11. #31
    Lvl 9 - Gold
    eternalunderdog's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    The kennel
    Posts
    1,215
    Reputation
    67

    Personally I loved this game. I felt it had a great throwback feel to classic arcade games like Asteroids and I enjoyed the visuals. The ships aren't overly flashy, but that helps them stand out when the strobes kick into high gear. It also helps that I have a wide variety of different music on my PS3 and each one offers a completely different experience that the one before.

    Also to point out the game isn't random for enemy spawns. The music dictates how many enemies will spawn and in what formations, however WHERE they spawn from IS random so keep you on your toes. I also found the trophies challenging but not overly hard, honestly I thought a few of the challenges could have used a little more difficulty to them.

    For anyone who has this game looking for a few good tracks I would make two suggestions:
    1. Marilyn Mason "Mechanical Animals"- absolutely every track from this album provides great gameplay and on Insane difficulty these are some of my favorite tracks to play.
    2. Anything from the 8- bit era- classic NES game soundtracks lead to some very interesting enemy spawns, one Mario Bros track (I think it was World 4) featured wave of enemies, boss encounter, wave, boss, wave, boss- it was a little crazy.
    "I do not agree with a word you say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."- Voltaire

    The First Wrestling Platinum Grand Slam Winner on PS3Trophies.com

    Trophy Checklist: http://www.ps3trophies.com/forums/tr...-doghouse.html

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:56 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.1.10
Copyright © 2018 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO