Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Review

This is a discussion on The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Review within the Game Reviews forum, part of the Trophy Guides, Reviews & Articles; Well nice review... Only problem KR is, did you read it after typing it all out?! I got about half ...

Bringing the PAIN

Well nice review... Only problem KR is, did you read it after typing it all out?! I got about half way thru it and realized that there was a spelling error or some word just used incorrectly in almost EVERY paragraph. This is not looking very good for the RT standards board...

Avi by:dsluckay
    Sig by:In2

Team Dingleberry

I haven't played Skyrim yet, so take this post for what it's worth. Right now I don't plan on playing Skyrim because Bethesda refuses to fix the freezing issues that made me homicidal during Fallout 3. I understand that in a game this large there are going to be bugs, but the freezing is a persistent and well-documented issue that Bethesda has had years, YEARS to fix. As a software developer myself, I feel that there is no excuse for this.

Until the save file and freezing and lagging issues are resolved, there is not a chance I will consider playing this game.

PRO Member

In a multiverses of different bodies and souls

Quote Originally Posted by NOFORPAIN View Post
    Well nice review... Only problem KR is, did you read it after typing it all out?! I got about half way thru it and realized that there was a spelling error or some word just used incorrectly in almost EVERY paragraph. This is not looking very good for the RT standards board...
    Really? I thought I fixed all those... I couldn't have saved my changes in that case.

Thanks for the heads up; I'll start fixing them.

Crocodile Hunter

Great review as usual kerwan

i cant wait till i can afford skyrim

Sig by Apokolypz

Player Hater

Nice review. Just a couple of nit-picky things, such as spelling and grammar as mentioned previously. The following quote brought out the Nazi in me...

Quote Originally Posted by Kerwan_Ratchet View Post
    There are exceedingly few ways to describe the sheer size of Skyrim whilst doing it a fair amount of justice. This is one of them.
    In that above quote, it would be better to leave out the exceedingly part and just go with the few. Sometimes less is more. When using adjectives to describe something or make a point, it's good to avoid combining two words that are meant to have the opposite effect. Exceedingly = greatly or many whilst Few = er.... few
    By reading the sentence as is, it seems like you are trying to say "There are frequently hardly any ways to describe the sheer size..." I think this leaves the reviewer feeling confused as to the message you are trying to convey.
    Note: Just constructive criticism. I like the review, I am fairly critical when it comes to the written word and how it is used, however.

I would have scored the game a 10, personally. Sure, there are technical issues (I haven't experienced anything of note personally), but a game of this "sheer size" (well put, Kerwan) and scope must be afforded a few ghosts in the machine. The amount of detail that Bethesda have fit onto a Bluray disc that you can hold with one finger is beyond belief. It is a game that you can play for 300 hours without getting bored. Since my discovery of trophies, it's the only game I have played without caring too much about them.
    Bethesda have made an RPG to appeal to the true masses. Fuck that wizard and warlock, rolling dice shit. They've made a game that truly makes you feel like you're living inside another world with the ability to take on any persona. Can you just imagine the possibilities of a game made in the same way set in the present day? GTA VI for example? I'm fucking ready, I know that much. Well, I will be after another couple of hundred hours with this baby...

Digital Terror

great review Kerwan gunna get this soon

Lvl 6 - Silver

Never really played the series but Skyrim looks awesome.. Great Review Kerwan i'll definately pick this one up

Fox
    Si vis bellum, para pacem

I pretty much agree fully with this review.

Even on the technical side. Why? Since it was brought up, I'll use RAGE as the comparison.

RAGE was a much smaller game, by leaps and bounds. It was linear, and really didn't have anything to explore. There was honestly no excuse for the problems it had with texture pop-in - it was AWFUL.

Compared to Skyrim - which is a MASSIVE open world title, with hundreds of different places to visit within the world, and all the countryside between them. It's to be expected that there will be some problems - Bethesda game or not.

Yes, it has problems, some bad - the framerate issues were especially troublesome - but they are acceptable given the scope of the game. Not to mention the fact that it is a new engine. Compared to the games before it - Oblivion, Fallout - it's pretty damn special.

ReviewHaven PC Fund: $4.90 // $525.27 [ DONATE ]

PATREON \\ CURIOOS \\ BEHANCE \\ VENOMGRAPHICS \\ REVIEWHAVEN

KCCO!

Overall, not a bad review, Kerwan. In my opinion, I would knock each score, along with the overall score down 1 point each. The game is very good, but it's not refined enough to warrant a 9.5/10. I'm more inclined to agree with Gauss' score. The technical aspects of the game can't be ignored and have to factor heavily into the score, especially in a day and age where most games don't have nearly as many flaws (e.g., freezing not only of the game, but of the console/PC). The story is certainly a good one, but I'm not sure that it warrants a 10/10. It's probably not an assessment I can make until completing the entire campaign, but thus far, it's probably a strong 9/10 for me, at best. The gameplay just isn't fluid enough, at times, to warrant a 9/10 either in my opinion. The combat is somewhat cumbersome compared to other games, and can prove frustrating at times.

Local Drunk

Nice review mate. From what I've seen and heard of this game I might have to get it but I'll wait for Bethesda to release a patch first.

Lvl 9 - Gold

I agree... without going into a philosophical rant for or against the rating. I'll just agree with the review, and scores be damned. I like Gauss' rating system. An 8.5 would be somewhere between "you should play it" and "you must play it", iirc. This is a game you can't miss.
    I also haven't encountered any major bugs or glitches or, game-breaking anything. One time when I killed an enemy, it went bouncing off into the distance, preventing me from looting its corpse. That's about it. And I've now killed two dragons. Fighting a dragon is f*cking awesome!
    Last edited by AizawaYuuichi; 12-01-2011 at 03:14 AM.

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by simula67 View Post
    I haven't played Skyrim yet, so take this post for what it's worth. Right now I don't plan on playing Skyrim because Bethesda refuses to fix the freezing issues that made me homicidal during Fallout 3. I understand that in a game this large there are going to be bugs, but the freezing is a persistent and well-documented issue that Bethesda has had years, YEARS to fix. As a software developer myself, I feel that there is no excuse for this.

Until the save file and freezing and lagging issues are resolved, there is not a chance I will consider playing this game.
    Buy with confidence friend. New patch fixed all lagging issues.

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by DaveyHasselhoff View Post
    I see what your saying, but bad textures arent going to keep me from playing the game as long as the game is enjoyable, which I found Rage to be enjoyable even if the story was severely lacking...what does keep me from playing are glitches in the game itself that prevent you from not being able to finish missions that you need for trophies or to finish the story. Any game where I have to save every 10 minutes or so in case I encounter a glitch just to make sure I don't have to start over is bad Technical quality IMO
    And you won't necessarily get any argument from me, except that Skyrim's environment is much more fun to explore than RAGE, so it gets quite a few points from me for that.

I haven't encountered anything that has crushed the game, just the standard stuff you see in every Bethesda game: NPCs getting stuck on walls, sleeping in air, etc. Its far from perfect but nothing I feel breaks the game, and honestly a game like Deus Ex is further showing me Bethesda is just lazy. Deus Ex had a huge open world environment, and I went through that game 3 times without experiencing any glitches.

This is just a weird title though, for as much as I will complain, I am still balls deep into this game. I can sit here and nitpick, but the environment is so much fun to experience and explore. Its kind of disconcerting actually because here I am, with evidence Bethesda cuts corners, on the surface saying this game is no technical feat, but I go home and enjoy losing 3 hours in this game every night. I just couldn't say the same about RAGE... RAGE felt like a visual showcase without good visuals.

I guess saying this game isn't a 9/10, its a 6 or 7/10 in the technical department.

Quote Originally Posted by AizawaYuuichi View Post
    I agree... without going into a philosophical rant for or against the rating. I'll just agree with the review, and scores be damned. I like Guass' rating system. An 8.5 would be somewhere between "you should play it" and "you must play it", iirc. This is a game you can't miss.
    Pretty much, I always hate thinking of a rating system as a score... I try to do exactly what you are saying, think of it in terms of whether you should play it and how much you should do to get your hands on it.

I think of an 8.5 as "This game is worth playing and soon."
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.

Gauss's Rating Rationale:
    0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    2-4: A just plain bad game.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.
    7: An average game, should be played at some point
    8: A good game, should buy at some point
    9: A great game, day-one purchase
    10: A game that goes above and beyond the generation, its transcendent.

A plat a month!

Hey Kerwan, great review, and Gauss, too.

KR, I'm planning on getting this game, but not until I beat platinum Fallout: New Vegas. That won't be for a bit, but your review solidified my decision.

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by djunglist View Post
    great review Kerwan gunna get this soon
    Thanks, and make sure you do,.

Quote Originally Posted by xero21 View Post
    Never really played the series but Skyrim looks awesome.. Great Review Kerwan i'll definately pick this one up
    It's also a great starting point for those who haven't palyed the past games.

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    I pretty much agree fully with this review.

Even on the technical side. Why? Since it was brought up, I'll use RAGE as the comparison.

RAGE was a much smaller game, by leaps and bounds. It was linear, and really didn't have anything to explore. There was honestly no excuse for the problems it had with texture pop-in - it was AWFUL.

Compared to Skyrim - which is a MASSIVE open world title, with hundreds of different places to visit within the world, and all the countryside between them. It's to be expected that there will be some problems - Bethesda game or not.

Yes, it has problems, some bad - the framerate issues were especially troublesome - but they are acceptable given the scope of the game. Not to mention the fact that it is a new engine. Compared to the games before it - Oblivion, Fallout - it's pretty damn special.
    I'm glad to see that you actually realize that Skyrim has a new engine. I won't mention names but a number of people are ignorant of the fact that the Gamebyro engine wasn't used.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
    Overall, not a bad review, Kerwan. In my opinion, I would knock each score, along with the overall score down 1 point each. The game is very good, but it's not refined enough to warrant a 9.5/10. I'm more inclined to agree with Gauss' score. The technical aspects of the game can't be ignored and have to factor heavily into the score, especially in a day and age where most games don't have nearly as many flaws (e.g., freezing not only of the game, but of the console/PC). The story is certainly a good one, but I'm not sure that it warrants a 10/10. It's probably not an assessment I can make until completing the entire campaign, but thus far, it's probably a strong 9/10 for me, at best. The gameplay just isn't fluid enough, at times, to warrant a 9/10 either in my opinion. The combat is somewhat cumbersome compared to other games, and can prove frustrating at times.
    That's fair enough, even though I didn't base my score on the glitches nor on the story. I based it on the awesome gameplay and single player experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Feral View Post
    Nice review mate. From what I've seen and heard of this game I might have to get it but I'll wait for Bethesda to release a patch first.
    It's been patched....so.....

Quote Originally Posted by wandarer View Post
    Hey Kerwan, great review, and Gauss, too.

KR, I'm planning on getting this game, but not until I beat platinum Fallout: New Vegas. That won't be for a bit, but your review solidified my decision.
    I'm glad to help, good sir.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

I've played enough of Skyrim to be able to reccommend it to everyone. For all the people that are asking about, make it your top priority. There is no doubt that Bethesda have created another 'Game of the Year'. For people that have played TES IV: Oblivion, Skyrim is so much better. I can't even look at Oblivion anymore, Skyrim is just too good. This is the new benchmark for not just RPG's, but the future of gaming.
    Be an Optimist Prime, not a Negatron!

Now Accepting Friend Requests for Battlefield 3 (both Co-op and Multiplayer)

Local Drunk

Quote Originally Posted by Kerwan_Ratchet View Post
    It's been patched....so.....
    Yeah I heard that after I posted. Might see if I can get it for Christmas.

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by Feral View Post
    Yeah I heard that after I posted. Might see if I can get it for Christmas.
    Pah, get it eariler than that.

PRO Member

Did I get a different copy of Rage as everyone else? while I noticed some texture pop in I hardly even noticed it after awhile, to say it makes the game unplayable is bizarre to me. As for Skyrim nice review, I can't put this game down and I haven't experienced much in the way of bugs, maybe after playing New Vegas they don't seem like much haha. Sometimes my NPC partner gets a little lost and I fell through the ground once but nothing too crazy.

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by AudioSlave View Post
    Did I get a different copy of Rage as everyone else? while I noticed some texture pop in I hardly even noticed it after awhile, to say it makes the game unplayable is bizarre to me. As for Skyrim nice review, I can't put this game down and I haven't experienced much in the way of bugs, maybe after playing New Vegas they don't seem like much haha. Sometimes my NPC partner gets a little lost and I fell through the ground once but nothing too crazy.
    Well New Vegas is a world apart from this game in glitches. NV should be the one getting 4/10 in the presentation department instead.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast