Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Review

This is a discussion on The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Review within the Game Reviews forum, part of the Trophy Guides, Reviews & Articles; Originally Posted by DJ_Keyser I had no idea the reviews section were the secret meeting places of Ugg Boot and ...

PRO Member

In a multiverses of different bodies and souls

Quote Originally Posted by DJ_Keyser View Post
    I had no idea the reviews section were the secret meeting places of Ugg Boot and Canadian geese fetishists, Kerwan. Not the best place to be posting literary abominations, methinks.
    It's one of many things that seem to be discussed here for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by AlecDawesome View Post
    The hell is this shit?
    An ex-spambot.

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anthnytdwg View Post
    Anyone else find it kind of funny that all the guild quests end with you being the leader of the guilds? My mana base is only 150, and i'm arch-mage lol...i know like 10 spells. I'm very well qualified.
    Well...you are the Dragonborn.

RPG Master

It always seems that the protagonist comes about in a time right before industrial revolution makes them antiquated. Would the dragonborn be needed if Skyrim had planes, cannons and guns?
    Sig by JK_Blade
    Shemhazat's Trophies

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shemhazat View Post
    It always seems that the protagonist comes about in a time right before industrial revolution makes them antiquated. Would the dragonborn be needed if Skyrim had planes, cannons and guns?
    I would not like this game if it had planes, cannons and guns.

PRO Member

I would not like this game if it had planes, cannons and guns.
    Then it would be a crtoss between Fallout and Camp or Die.

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kerwan_Ratchet View Post
    Then it would be a crtoss between Fallout and Camp or Die.
    Fallout was great...but I love medieval typish games. Swords, shields and your only long range projectiles are your bows. Not even magic reaches all that far. The Elder Scrolls games have always been games where I can completely immerise myself, and I frickin love it.

PRO Member

Fallout was great...but I love medieval typish games. Swords, shields and your only long range projectiles are your bows. Not even magic reaches all that far. The Elder Scrolls games have always been games where I can completely immerise myself, and I frickin love it.
    Exactly. It's the same with the Fallout games; nothing is ever changed in the equation.

Real Life Alchemist

A good review but the technical aspect of this game and all of its bugs often annoy me! Quests that can't be completed because the quest NPC is gone or won't spawn! So I'd say a 7/10 for tech!

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dondar01 View Post
    A good review but the technical aspect of this game and all of its bugs often annoy me! Quests that can't be completed because the quest NPC is gone or won't spawn! So I'd say a 7/10 for tech!
    Considering the massive amount of content for it isn't that a tad harsh?

Noob Member

I was about to compliment this guide but, I took an arrow to the knee

Seriously, Nice review Kerwan! Just purchased this game yesterday and I can't focus on it right now cause of the work. But, the weekend is coming! I'll dedicate it for this game!

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by kianstrike View Post
    I was about to compliment this guide but, I took an arrow to the knee

Seriously, Nice review Kerwan! Just purchased this game yesterday and I can't focus on it right now cause of the work. But, the weekend is coming! I'll dedicate it for this game!
    Thanks, I hope you enjoy it.

Noob Member

BTW, Kerwan, I read alot about reduced framerates when your save file reached a certain size, or racks up long playing time. I think you haven't mentioned it in the review, did you not experience this issue at your end?

PRO Member

BTW, Kerwan, I read alot about reduced framerates when your save file reached a certain size, or racks up long playing time. I think you haven't mentioned it in the review, did you not experience this issue at your end?
    Nope, not at all for me. I think it varies person to person, but I haven't experienced them myself. Tell me if you do though.

RPG Master

I really liked your review Kerwan, you talked about all the different facets of the game, including both the good and the bad. Your different sections go into extreme detail and depth. I don't feel that lag or technical problems should detract from a game if the gameplay, story, and overall experience is very good or perfect.

10/10 for the review. Keep up the good reviews.
    Sig by JK_Blade
    Shemhazat's Trophies

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shemhazat View Post
    I really liked your review Kerwan, you talked about all the different facets of the game, including both the good and the bad. Your different sections go into extreme detail and depth. I don't feel that lag or technical problems should detract from a game if the gameplay, story, and overall experience is very good or perfect.

10/10 for the review. Keep up the good reviews.
    Thanks so much. Writing a review is one thing; but seeing that somebody throughly enjoyed it is another.
    If you have any more questions about the review feel free to ask.

Noob Member

When you said:

Imagine that you are looking at the universe for the first time. You can see countless stars, planets, and galaxies. Each and every galaxy has it’s own universe filled with planets and stars. These planets and stars contain endless space and objects as well, and each of these areas cannot be covered completely in a lifetime.

This is how I explain how complex and humongous Skyrim is.
    I thought it was a little exaggerating to put that way. But as soon as I hit a town, I was overwhelmed. lol. I think the story in one town covers the overall length of Dragon Age 2!

PRO Member

When you said:

I thought it was a little exaggerating to put that way. But as soon as I hit a town, I was overwhelmed. lol. I think the story in one town covers the overall length of Dragon Age 2!
    That an understatement to be honest. DA2 was over in an instant. Skyrim has save files that you leave behind to your children when you die for them to continue on.

Real Life Alchemist

No matter how massive the content is, a game developer should always consider the tech aspects. But Bethesda is known for massive game bugs!!

Non the less I enjoy the game (even though my PS3 keeps jamming ever since the latest patch!!! Anyone else having this problem?)

PRO Member

Kerwan I don't think it's harsh at all.

Bethesda releases these huge games and that's supposed to give them some sort of free-pass to release unfinished and unpolished work ? Again and again and again ?

You know what ? I've been gaming for over 20 freaking years and I'm tired of being the industries guinea pig. I'm tired of seeing this:

Version 1.01 Changelog
    -Fixed this doohickey

Version 1.02 Changelog
    -Fixed the whatchamacallit that was messing with the doo-hickey

Version 1.03 Changelog
    -Fixed the thingamabob that was messing with the whatchamacallit that was messing with the doohickey

and so on...

To be fair it isn't just Bethesda, but it's frustrating to see hype for a companies product that continues to make the same mistakes with their titles (save-file problems again Bethesda ? really ?). A company in any other industry would be out-of-business if they continually pushed out products that gave sub-par performance but promised otherwise. How many times have you heard a gaming company say, "Yes, we know there's a problem but we don't plan on fixing it or we can't fix it!" I've heard it too many times thank-you and Bethesda is one of those I've heard it from.

Unfortunately we're also to blame for this shit-fest. We're the ones that line-up like cattle for midnight releases, we're the ones that make these games go gold before a product even hits the shelves . Where's the incentive for gaming companies to change ? Add GOTY for Skyrim and Bethesda must be feeling pretty good about the way they do business. This industry takes in billions of dollars each year and we excuse them their faults, because it's a really, really big game. Please...

I enjoy reading your reviews Kerwan as well as Gauss and Nag's (and all the other guys), but like any other review I'll take it with a grain of salt and thank-you for the well written overview. Keep up the good work !!!

Canadian gamer since the 2600

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dondar01 View Post
    No matter how massive the content is, a game developer should always consider the tech aspects. But Bethesda is known for massive game bugs!!

Non the less I enjoy the game (even though my PS3 keeps jamming ever since the latest patch!!! Anyone else having this problem?)
    Thay have indeed, though it's not like we can do anything about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by tristalex View Post
    Kerwan I don't think it's harsh at all.

Bethesda releases these huge games and that's supposed to give them some sort of free-pass to release unfinished and unpolished work ? Again and again and again ?

You know what ? I've been gaming for over 20 freaking years and I'm tired of being the industries guinea pig. I'm tired of seeing this:

Version 1.01 Changelog
    -Fixed this doohickey

Version 1.02 Changelog
    -Fixed the whatchamacallit that was messing with the doo-hickey

Version 1.03 Changelog
    -Fixed the thingamabob that was messing with the whatchamacallit that was messing with the doohickey

and so on...

To be fair it isn't just Bethesda, but it's frustrating to see hype for a companies product that continues to make the same mistakes with their titles (save-file problems again Bethesda ? really ?). A company in any other industry would be out-of-business if they continually pushed out products that gave sub-par performance but promised otherwise. How many times have you heard a gaming company say, "Yes, we know there's a problem but we don't plan on fixing it or we can't fix it!" I've heard it too many times thank-you and Bethesda is one of those I've heard it from.

Unfortunately we're also to blame for this shit-fest. We're the ones that line-up like cattle for midnight releases, we're the ones that make these games go gold before a product even hits the shelves . Where's the incentive for gaming companies to change ? Add GOTY for Skyrim and Bethesda must be feeling pretty good about the way they do business. This industry takes in billions of dollars each year and we excuse them their faults, because it's a really, really big game. Please...

I enjoy reading your reviews Kerwan as well as Gauss and Nag's (and all the other guys), but like any other review I'll take it with a grain of salt and thank-you for the well written overview. Keep up the good work !!!
    Surprisingly I'd have to agree with some of what you said. We do overhype games and make them seem better than we know they will be. Everyone already decided that Skyrim was going to be GOTY years before it was released. The same with happened with GT5, even though that failed dramatically.
    Even at the time I queued up to at midnigfht release for the game, only to be bitterly, bitterly disappointed. Developers have issues with thier games and engines, but the reason we sometimes overlook at is because of the game's hype and fanbase.

It's weird but it's true.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast