Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Review

This is a discussion on The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Review within the Game Reviews forum, part of the Trophy Guides, Reviews & Articles; Morrowind is still my favorite Skyrim is an improvement in some areas over Oblivion (Story and Aesthetics) but it doesn't ...

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Morrowind is still my favorite

Skyrim is an improvement in some areas over Oblivion (Story and Aesthetics) but it doesn't have that weird feeling that Daggerfall and Morrowind had, I really feel removing features like Spell Creation takes some of the spirit away from the game.

The level up system feels like it was thrown together at the last minute, for example Smithing can easily be maxed within a few hours by simply crafting Iron Daggers and Leather Bracers, which give the same amount of XP as crafting something more complex like an Ebony Breastplate

All they had to do was add diminishing returns to crafting low level gear, there are other inconsistencies too with spells like Muffle throwing XP at you like a wild heated bushpig.

It's a small thing but it smells up the rest of a good game for me, really looking forward to Fallout 4 now though since they finally have an engine that feels good.

PRO Member

In a multiverses of different bodies and souls

Quote Originally Posted by HugeGremlins View Post
    Morrowind is still my favorite

Skyrim is an improvement in some areas over Oblivion (Story and Aesthetics) but it doesn't have that weird feeling that Daggerfall and Morrowind had, I really feel removing features like Spell Creation takes some of the spirit away from the game.

The level up system feels like it was thrown together at the last minute, for example Smithing can easily be maxed within a few hours by simply crafting Iron Daggers and Leather Bracers, which give the same amount of XP as crafting something more complex like an Ebony Breastplate

All they had to do was add diminishing returns to crafting low level gear, there are other inconsistencies too with spells like Muffle throwing XP at you like a wild heated bushpig.

It's a small thing but it smells up the rest of a good game for me, really looking forward to Fallout 4 now though since they finally have an engine that feels good.
    Yeah, as with almost every RPG there were some problems with leveling up and XP, but considering the sheer size of the game I'm not surprisied that it's got more problems. That's just me at least.

Crocodile Hunter

ive been playing it and have about 40 hours into it now and i havnt had a single glitch so i dnt really know what people are talking about, my save file is still sitting on the 6mb rough mark.

it has froze on me twice in 1 spot in blackreach as i was trying to get to the elevator in the tower of mzark ( i think its called ) and it froze on me twice so i walked around and came thru the back and then it was fine.

so yeah i have escaped harm so far i think...better not speak to soon tho, dnt wanna jinx myself

Sig by Apokolypz

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ac3dUd3- View Post
    ive been playing it and have about 40 hours into it now and i havnt had a single glitch so i dnt really know what people are talking about, my save file is still sitting on the 6mb rough mark.

it has froze on me twice in 1 spot in blackreach as i was trying to get to the elevator in the tower of mzark ( i think its called ) and it froze on me twice so i walked around and came thru the back and then it was fine.

so yeah i have escaped harm so far i think...better not speak to soon tho, dnt wanna jinx myself
    The glitches are completely random, but the lag does slightly increase. I found it depends on your location I guess, believe it or not.

Lvl 4 - Silver

Loving the game! Great review man, although as previously stated I do believe the technical score is too high. I'd give it anywhere from a 6-7.5 I feel the game is lacking in a few big areas though. Is it just me or do the cities feel too small? It takes me like 30 seconds to run around the perimeter of almost all of them. I remember back in Oblivion, Imperial City was absolutely huge, and while I don't necessarily want the cities to be that big, I would really like them to be bigger. I also feel that they need more of a variation in terrain, as for me seeing yet more white hills after every turn gets very tedious. I hope for the next ES they have it all mixed up; a bit of snow, some rocky areas, jungles and forests, lava, swamps etc. The game feels like it lacks something big to me..character? Oblivion is my favourite ever game and I feel Skyrim should better it but I really don't know, Skyrim just seems to be a bit tedious and extremely predictable. I also feel that the game should get rid of almost ALL the caves and dungeons. They are so depressing and boring, just following a linear line as you hack at endless skeltons/bandits. I also wish they included a load more missions where you are with a large group, as wondering on your own is nothing compared to the movie-like scenes when a town is attacked by dragons or when you siege a city. Anyway I hope they have a huge DLC that gets away from the snow and maybe include half of High Rock as that is next to it and is way to small for a whole game. Concerning the errors with the game, all I have seen is a floating mammoth and a flying horse, so not bad at all. I know I have gone off-topic but I feel I had to say it. What think you!?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2BSm...eature=mh_lolz

THE LINK ABOVE IS A PILE OF SHIT, PLEASE DON'T CLICK ON IT. THANKYOU VERY MUCH.

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by Brohgrick Talonteeth View Post
    Loving the game! Great review man, although as previously stated I do believe the technical score is too high. I'd give it anywhere from a 6-7.5 I feel the game is lacking in a few big areas though. Is it just me or do the cities feel too small? It takes me like 30 seconds to run around the perimeter of almost all of them. I remember back in Oblivion, Imperial City was absolutely huge, and while I don't necessarily want the cities to be that big, I would really like them to be bigger. I also feel that they need more of a variation in terrain, as for me seeing yet more white hills after every turn gets very tedious. I hope for the next ES they have it all mixed up; a bit of snow, some rocky areas, jungles and forests, lava, swamps etc. The game feels like it lacks something big to me..character? Oblivion is my favourite ever game and I feel Skyrim should better it but I really don't know, Skyrim just seems to be a bit tedious and extremely predictable. I also feel that the game should get rid of almost ALL the caves and dungeons. They are so depressing and boring, just following a linear line as you hack at endless skeltons/bandits. I also wish they included a load more missions where you are with a large group, as wondering on your own is nothing compared to the movie-like scenes when a town is attacked by dragons or when you siege a city. Anyway I hope they have a huge DLC that gets away from the snow and maybe include half of High Rock as that is next to it and is way to small for a whole game. Concerning the errors with the game, all I have seen is a floating mammoth and a flying horse, so not bad at all. I know I have gone off-topic but I feel I had to say it. What think you!?
    I agree and disagree. Yes the cities are too small, but they have a unique character about then. Markarth is a dwemer city and it shows...Riften is near the docks and is ridden with corruption, etc.

Although I do disagree with what you said about variety...there's more than enough with the terrain. you need to explore a tad more I think?

But thanks anyway.

Lvl 4 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Kerwan_Ratchet View Post
    I agree and disagree. Yes the cities are too small, but they have a unique character about then. Markarth is a dwemer city and it shows...Riften is near the docks and is ridden with corruption, etc.

Although I do disagree with what you said about variety...there's more than enough with the terrain. you need to explore a tad more I think?

But thanks anyway.
    Yes I see where you are coming from and I concede that I have only had the game since Christmas and so have not played it much (although a lot more than Uncharted and Batman which I am yet to bother opening!). But in that short time I have done quite a bit of exploration and I've noticed some very nice 'different' places, but with most of them they've excited me for a while before I move on.

I know what you mean by the towns being different e.g Riften, and yes I do like how they all have diffferent character, but I do wish there was a bit more of the town so that I could enjoy it more (although I do know that each town has hidden areas e.g Riften has underground caves).

By the terrain, I am not too sure by what you mean. Could you reveal one of these different areas so as I know if I have seen it..? Oh and I remember a mission where I had to go kill an ice wraith. I was so dissapointed at that mission. The lead up and setting was fantastic; you're on your own at the very edge of Skyrim, a blizzard is impairing your view and the wind howls around you, suggesting unseen dangers. You then get to the island with the wraith on and I was expecting some awesome and scary battle that would stay in my mind for a long time. Then it apperaed, I used my flame magic on it for about 20 sec and it died.

I see your point of view but I'm not entirely convinced. Oh and sorry, I only just realised that I included no paragraphs in my first comment, must have been an extremely tedious read!?

PRO Member

I know what you mean by the towns being different e.g Riften, and yes I do like how they all have diffferent character, but I do wish there was a bit more of the town so that I could enjoy it more (although I do know that each town has hidden areas e.g Riften has underground caves).

By the terrain, I am not too sure by what you mean. Could you reveal one of these different areas so as I know if I have seen it..? Oh and I remember a mission where I had to go kill an ice wraith. I was so dissapointed at that mission. The lead up and setting was fantastic; you're on your own at the very edge of Skyrim, a blizzard is impairing your view and the wind howls around you, suggesting unseen dangers. You then get to the island with the wraith on and I was expecting some awesome and scary battle that would stay in my mind for a long time. Then it apperaed, I used my flame magic on it for about 20 sec and it died.

I see your point of view but I'm not entirely convinced. Oh and sorry, I only just realised that I included no paragraphs in my first comment, must have been an extremely tedious read!?
    Yeah, as in every town even has it's own tyrants and people high above who influence that hold. It makes every single place feel unique.

And about the terrian I mean how one moment you're on an ice-capped mountain, and then you can be in an autumn forest and then in a courtyard of stone and wood. It's always changing.

And yeah, it was hard to read.

Lvl 4 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Kerwan_Ratchet View Post
    Yeah, as in every town even has it's own tyrants and people high above who influence that hold. It makes every single place feel unique.

And about the terrian I mean how one moment you're on an ice-capped mountain, and then you can be in an autumn forest and then in a courtyard of stone and wood. It's always changing.

And yeah, it was hard to read.
    That was what you meant by terrrain? I've come across a load of icy mountains that all have the same things hidden upon them; campsites, bandits, caves and so on. And I do really love the look of the autumn forest but I've only come across two, and they're very small. Also the stone and wood is in pretty much every ES so is nothing new. I want a much larger variation in the next one and maybe it's just me being picky but hey.

PRO Member

That was what you meant by terrrain? I've come across a load of icy mountains that all have the same things hidden upon them; campsites, bandits, caves and so on. And I do really love the look of the autumn forest but I've only come across two, and they're very small. Also the stone and wood is in pretty much every ES so is nothing new. I want a much larger variation in the next one and maybe it's just me being picky but hey.
    Fair enough; but I felt that in certain areas of Skyrim you'd find more of something...for example in the West of Skyrim you'd find a lot of Forsworn, black mages, daedra, and witches. In the east there were plenty of Dragons, people with quests, stormcloak camps, etc

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Just love this game ! So huge and so much to do. Glitches aren't a big problem for me. In fact, the only one I encounter, but really gets on my nerves, is when I fight a Giant (not a troll) and he bats me off the map on the 1st swing. Bam ! Grand Slam ! Other than that, flawless !! Oh yeah, the dragons are really out of this world, mind blowing.

Just play it and have fun...

Legend...Nuff Said

Skyrim was the first Elder Scrolls game I really played. I played Morrowwind on the XBOX for like 5 minutes, but Skyrim is the first I put a significant amount of time into it. In truth I would never have bought it if it wasn't for a friend who is a huge TES fan and said he'd split the price with me.

I'd give Skyrim an 8/10. Maybe its cause I'm not part of the cult of WRPGs but the game lacks a story to me that makes me want to keep playing. This is partly due to the world not being populated enough. I could care about dragon attacks if there was anything worth attacking, but most of the cities don't even have a population close to 30, let alone enough to really care about.
    Is the game world huge? Absolutely. But I think the hype about the huge world and pretty graphics is overblown when the population of the world feels no bigger than Fallout 3.

I also feel the whole 'do what you want' belief and hype in the game is overblown. Yeah, sure I can go and kill and loot whoever I want, but its not game breaking. My friend saved his game and before I loaded up mine I decided to go and kill the Jarl of Markarth to try and break the game. Him and a couple other named characters just wouldn't die for what I am guessing is so the main storyline would not be broken and unusable. But it feels like a copout promoting a huge world where your told you can do anything, but then can't.

I call it a schism in design philosophy of WRPGs vs. JRPGs. WRPGs give the player a more sand boxy world with lots of supposed freedom of choice in dialogue and where to go during your spare time, contrasted with JRPGs which give the player a more streamlined experience with minimal freedoms of choice. JRPGs focus on story while WRPGs focus on supposed choice. I say supposed choice because in my mind if I'm given a world where choices are supposed to mean something, then they should have an effect on the world that will change the experience depending on that choice. So far in Skyrim, with the exception of one event which I will not mention due to spoilers, and I only read about it through a guide, what I do in the game doesn't affect anything to how the world will treat me.

Its sad that Skyrim is not as good as the hype machine built it up to be. Once I plat the game it'll be stuck in a drawer to collect dust since there is nothing to keep me going past.

L
    asombra Files Interviews and Top Trophy Tournament Commentary from Skip and Max linked in the banner.
    Checkout the Facebook page or follow me on Twitter @LasombraFiles
    My novels can be found here: The Lasombra Files: Choice and Consequence and
    Til Death Do Us Part
    Big thanks to the site for giving me my start as a writer!

PRO Member

I appreciate your comments...and yes you have a point: with main characters you can't kill them because it'll break up the story and the game, but that's in a way nit-picking. There are literally hundreds of other ways that you can have the choice to do something in a situation and rep what you sow. It all depends on how you play; and I think Skyrim nailed that point.

Legend...Nuff Said

I disagree that its nitpicking because I'm being hyped to a 'do what you want' experience. I can't do what I want, and the things I can do have no consequences. If it wasn't for the hype machine and the arrogance of WRPG fanboys it wouldn't be a bother, but when that the main selling point of Skyrim, its needs to be heavily scrutinized.

On a different note, my friend made a good point to me the other day because he's played Morrowwind and Oblivion. He told me that the equipment system is getting simpler and simpler. He told me you can mix and match different parts of the armour (gloves, shoulders, ect), instead of the one piece system now. When they make the next TES game I hope they bring back the more in-depth equipment system and also the ability to wear 10 rings. Isn't it funny that we have ten fingers but for some reason can only be about to slip on 1 ring?

L
    asombra Files Interviews and Top Trophy Tournament Commentary from Skip and Max linked in the banner.
    Til Death Do Us Part

PRO Member

Then we'd be overpowered, and Skyrim has done very well in keeping the enemies, missions, locations, etc, all in line with your own skills levels and where you've explored. And mixing and matching was an awesome idea...you can combine armour to be even more deadly now.

Legend...Nuff Said

I think they could come up with something to make it not overpowered. Its just getting annoying to find the 1000th ring and not have a point to them. Now I'm nitpicking. LOL

L
    Til Death Do Us Part

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lasombra View Post
    I think they could come up with something to make it not overpowered. Its just getting annoying to find the 1000th ring and not have a point to them. Now I'm nitpicking. LOL
    That's what enchating and smithing are for.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

How you can give this crap a higher score than AC Revelations astounds me.

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by MindFyre101 View Post
    How you can give this crap a higher score than AC Revelations astounds me.
    Because I happen to throughly enjoy "this crap", and I wasn't the one reviewing AC: R. Nor do I have the game on my trophy list nor have I played it. If you'd bothered to look you'd have noticed all that.

I gave this game the score I thought it deserved. You don't like it and prefer AC: R? That's perfectly fine, but this is mine opinion.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

great work on the review guys
    getting my copy tomorrow

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast