Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Review

This is a discussion on The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Review within the Game Reviews forum, part of the Trophy Guides, Reviews & Articles; The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim by Kerwan_Ratchet Basic Information: Developer: Bethesda Game Studios Publisher: Bethesda Softworks North American Release Date: ...

Aussie Furry, Bitch

In a multiverses of different bodies and souls

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Review

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
    by Kerwan_Ratchet

Basic Information:
    Developer: Bethesda Game Studios
    Publisher: Bethesda Softworks
    North American Release Date: November 11, 2011
    European Release Date: November 11, 2011
    Trophies: 1 , 1 , 14 , 35

Overview
    Casting spells, hacking with swords, sniping wolves with arrows, completing side quests and slaying dragons. Welcome to Skyrim.

200 hundreds years have passed since the gates of Oblivion slammed shut. Now in Skyrim you play the role of the Dragonborn, a legendary hero with the blood of Dragons running through your veins. Has Bethesda taken over our social lives yet again as we play their latest role playing game?

Gameplay
    Skyrim automatically feels familiar to anyone who’s had the pleasure of experiencing Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas and Oblivion. You either view the world in first or third person; you kill enemies and then search their corpses for items. You learn new abilities and level up. Sounds basic? Perhaps, but is it?

The first thing you’ll notice about Skyrim is that unlike past Bethesda games you’ll no longer have to bear the clunky and off-putting Gamebyro engine that Fallout and Oblivion were based on. Having built a completely new engine Bethesda gave Skyrim the chance to be similar to its predecessor but simultaneously unique.

The sheer variety of gameplay choices opens up within a few mere hours into Skyrim. Before you begin you’ll be able to design your character from an attractive number of races to choose from. These races do not restrict your choices of weapons or class in any means what-so-ever. You’ll have the choice throughout the game, which provides you with additional freedom. You can effortlessly switch from casting spells of illusion and fire to being armed with a bow thanks to a fantastic ‘favourite’ list, meaning you don’t need to rummage around your inventory at the high point of battle to merely change your weapon of choice.

As you progress through the incredible world of Skyrim you’ll level up with each individual skill that you often use; though of course there is also an overall rank. If you spend a fair amount of time picking locks of innocent people’s homes at the dead of the night you’ll level up your skill in that area. If you enjoy the science of Alchemy and constantly create new substances and potions you’ll progress in that area and will unlock new possibilities.

Unlike in the Fallout games, playing the baddie very rarely cuts out for you in the land of Skyrim. If you decide that the poor peasant’s supply of cheese and potatoes serves a greater need in your hands it’s only a mere matter of time before you’re caught with the stolen goods if you happen to be seen. You’ll then have to pay off your bounty, serve time in jail or fight for your life. The same thing applies to you if you decide to start the fight in the middle of the town or butcher the Jarl of Whiterun. Avoiding this requires more skill and focus, such as only stealing when out of vision of anyone else, and if seen you decide to “remove” all witnesses before word can spread.

You’ll also have the moral decisions when in missions; though these don’t lead to consequences that land you in jail.

As you purchase more magic spells, upgrade your blade and steady your aim with your bow the challenge increases dramatically, as it should. You don’t ever feel either overpowered or underpowered unless you decide to strict yourself to leveling up in a specific area or class, though this limits particular quests and objects that you can interact with.

This is the way that trolls should be dealt with. Watch and learn.

As you collect objects and items throughout Skyrim you’ll be able to experiment with them. For instance; you can enchant your weapon, giving it a significant power. Likewise you can also poison the tips of your arrows to give yourself a venomous advantage when tackling a dragon.
    As with previous Bethesda games the gameplay is clunky and rather awkward at times. And as with the Fallout and previous Elder Scrolls games you’ll regularly end up accidently attacking other character or NPC and then have the entire village after you, baying for your blood until you pay your bounty of 3 gold pieces. Role Playing Games are supposedly to be as far away from realistic as possible, but confusing is something we’d rather do without.

Despite its miniscule flaws the gameplay in Skyrim is top-notch and worthy of any modern RPG. Unquestionably it’s clunky at times, but the fantastic dramatically overshadows the bad in nearly every way. You’ll near to never grow bored of it. Outstanding to say the least.

Singleplayer
    There are exceedingly few ways to describe the sheer size of Skyrim whilst doing it a fair amount of justice. This is one of them.

Imagine that you are looking at the universe for the first time. You can see countless stars, planets, and galaxies. Each and every galaxy has it’s own universe filled with planets and stars. These planets and stars contain endless space and objects as well, and each of these areas cannot be covered completely in a lifetime.

This is how I explain how complex and humongous Skyrim is.

When you first step out into the world you’ll visit a village or two; chat too few people, and generally get the feel for the game. Now when you start partaking in quests you’ll be scratching the surface of Skyrim’s expansive web of interwoven complexity. A simple task – for example – such as looking for a woman or finding a unique object can led to unbelievably intricate quests and tales that can in some cases be their own retail game alone. There is simple almost no end to what you are able to do. Even merely stumbling along a quaint village and going for a drink at the local inn can lead you to unraveling the dark secrets of Skyrim. I can discuss the details of a single quest for hours on end alone, so suffice to say that you’ll be supplied with hundreds upon hundreds of hours of content.

The game begins with you sitting in the back of a carriage, being taken to a village to be be-headed for your “crimes”. Just as axe is about to fall, a Dragon’s screech pierces the air. Amongst the confusion you escape.

You have clue as to who you are or what your purpose is…until you end up at Whiterun and slay your first Dragon. When you do so you absorb the Dragon’s Soul. You then discover that you are the Dragonborn, a legend who has the blood of Dragons running through their veins, and the only one who can slay the awakened Dragons once and for all. This starts a journey that will twist and turn in nearly every way possible and defy all laws of nature and myths.

The villages and locales hold great detail and goodies to unearth

True be told, however, the story isn’t a major factor in Skyrim as the unbelievable amount of side quests will hold your attention until the bitter end. Surprisingly many of the quests meet at an intersection and you’ll discover paths you never thought could possibly exist.

Many of the quests you complete will lead on to yet another quest that expands to a tale of it’s own. Exploring the sewers of Riften for the sake of talking to someone – for example – will bring you to the headquarters of the Thieves Guild. Should you decide to join them is up to you; but doing so will unlock new rewards, items, and skills. You’ll be gifted with recognition from civilians’ and guards unlike, be given numerous additional side quests to accept should you want to, and learn of incredible secrets. All these take time to complete, and pulling off a successful burglary – for instance is much easier said than done, and you’ll meet many roadblocks along the way. You’ll also be given moral choices and decisions that will not only affect the quest but your skills, your reputation and even the world around you.

This may shock you...

You can choose from plentiful of skills to level up with or specialize in. If you choose the life of a thief is for you the speech, lock picking, and sneak abilities are right up your street. Similarly if you enjoy casting spells then the perks of illusion, conjuration and restoration should spark your interest. Each and every item you equip has an effect on your character status and perks, and even how others may see you. There are near endless possibilities to be explored with a combination of meticulously crafted quests and choices. It’s simply one of those games where have such an abundance of quests and choices that you have no idea where to start first.
    When you decide to take a break from the multitude of quests and merely explore the magnificent world of Skyrim you’ll discover many interesting places to explore, such as ancient ruins or a winter forest. You may want to watch what you do, however. As fun as stealing the farmer’s gold and butchering the village is, the guards of Skyrim may think otherwise. Make the wrong enemies, say the wrong thing or make the wrong choice and you’ll only have yourself to blame.

The amount of fantastic perks is unbelievably helpful.

If you want to be a two goody shoes and not get up to much mischief, you may be interested in buying a house, looking for work and getting married. There are even plenty of objectives to complete in these mundane tasks, amazingly.

With an eternal number of possibilities, thousands of quests and a staggering number of options and decisions to make Skyrim is a never ending world of unimaginable possibilities and freedom. The sheer quality and complexity of the single-player campaign in Skyrim is so powerful that it could only be described as food to satisfy your hunger for the game. You will be held in awe throughout the entire game and as you go deeper and deeper into the game and its content you’ll be ever lavishly rewarded for your efforts. Delicious.

Technical
    For an open world game Skyrim boasts brilliant technical graphics. Disapprovingly there are plenty of rough textures and uncanny glitches but for the most part the world is painstakingly detailed.

The artistic design fares even better, with silent forests, freezing blizzards and bloody dungeons all containing the upmost care. The character detail and facial expressions have undergone a massive amount of plastic surgery, which is a god-send looking at Bethesda’s previous works. This time around the NPCs who you speak with will not cause the camera to zoom in on their wax like faces such as in Fallout 3. Rather they’ll glance your way and talk whilst performing actions such as chopping wood or mending a weapon. It makes the world feel ever more improved.

The glitches can get on your bad side, however. Characters will often attempt to have discussions with you through walls and ceilings, and it’s not unknown for your character to get stuck in the environment. Worse still when getting hit by a troll – for instance – you’ll be propelled up in the air. Glitches seem to be Bethesda’s trademark nowadays for their games and whilst these glitches are a slight annoyance they aren’t frequently bad enough to the extent that you can’t play the game.

I always knew that this was a bad idea...

The in game soundtrack has such a degree of quality that it’ll cause you to pause and ponder if Bethesda has stolen God’s CD collection. The rhythmic chants, battle themes and haunting soundtracks will stay by your side throughout the entire adventure. Effects, dialogue, voice acting and more all are equally at the top of the class. Bethesda took notice of what was said to them concerning the presentation of their previous games and outdid themselves in every way possible.

Trophies
    The trophies in Skyrim are not hard when it comes to skill but rather they are exceedingly time-consuming. In order to obtain the platinum trophy quickly you’ll need to perform an extremely specific set of actions and choices, which takes the fun out of the game. You’ll eventually reach that point without trying especially hard, but not after a long time. Bethesda should have been more creative and expansive when it came to the trophies, but doing this also allows us to not focus on the trophies and focus more on the game itself. It’s one of those platinums you’ll obtain without even trying, and Skyrim is one of those games that you’ll continue to play long after the trophies have stopped popping

Closing Thoughts
    The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim has done more than merely live up to its hype. It is without question the best Bethesda game ever created and more importantly is one of the most engaging, engrossing and expansive Role Playing Games of all time. The minor issues, such as weak textures, glitches and clunky gameplay do little to hinder the game’s quality. Skyrim has something in it for every type of gamer and is a game that should be picked up by RPG lovers the very minute it lands on local shelves. Bethesda have created a masterpiece that will never be forgotten, and they deserve the upmost praise.

All thee kneel before Dragonborn, and praise thy new master: Bethesda Software.

Gameplay: 9/10
    Brutal and extremely satisfying, albeit a tad clunky.

Singleplayer: 10/10
    There is near to nothing that can explain the quality and incredible size of the game.

Technical: 9/10
    A few annoying quirks here and there; though nothing to irritate you.

Overall: 9.5/10

SECOND OPINION
    by Gauss

What is there to say about Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim? Its a Bethesda game through and through, but in a good way. The environment is rich and immense, the character customization is ridiculously deep, and you can easily lose 6 hours in the blink of an eye... I know, launch day I got home and started playing between 5pm and 6pm, next thing I know its 12:30am. There is alot going on in Skyrim and there is quite a bit to do. The story is much more interesting than previous Bethesda titles, you will want to keep playing to unwrap the mystery of the Dragonborn and will revel in the chance to shape the empire as you see fit. Its also much longer, which is thankful after how disappointing Fallout 3's main quest-line was. I was really impressed with the changes made to character progression, the fact that you level up by actually using your skills makes the game feel much more realistic. Also, how can you ignore how awesome Dragons are?

That being said the game is littered with bugs, not as bad as Oblivion and Fallout 3 but frequently characters will get caught or textures won't load or bodies will rocket around in a nonsensical fashion. These things all break the environment because, while this game has made some leaps forward, there is still something missing. Its difficult to rate these negatives because they aren't consistent from player to player, but everybody will experience something.

Ultimately Skyrim is a long, fun, and flawed game. In other words, its a Bethesda game.

SCORE: 8.5/10
    Last edited by Gauss; 11-29-2011 at 08:16 AM. Reason: spacing

PRO Member

Great review Kerwan.
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.

Gauss's Rating Rationale:
    0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    2-4: A just plain bad game.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.
    7: An average game, should be played at some point
    8: A good game, should buy at some point
    9: A great game, day-one purchase
    10: A game that goes above and beyond the generation, its transcendent.

Trophy Guide Grand Master

Not really sure how the game can receive a 9/10 on technical and you can say that the glitches are annoying "quirks" but nothing more than that when the game is riddled with Game breaking, rage inducing glitches that can cause you to need to restart from previous saves or completely restart the game over. I won't argue with your SP scores as the story and game is fun, but between the the entire page of glitches that they have documented and the lag that will never get fixed, I wouldnt rate technical any higher than a 4-5/10

Rage was technically thrashed just for texture pop in which is something very minor compared to what technical flaws this has....imagine if it had an entire page of RAGE inducing glitches.

PRO Member

I've never played an Elder Scrolls game before but this has me tempted... If it's better than Fallout 3 then I'll probably love it. Glad of the two points of view, nice work on the review guys.

PRO Member

Great review and I can relate to most of it including the many flaws of the game. The one thing that does bug me is that I didn't find the various questlines long enough they all felt far to small compared to the questlines of saw Morrowind. I do miss the "ranks" of the various factions and found if a bit too quick to progress from a simple new recruit to the grandmaster of the guild even the main questline wasn't that impressively long, maybe I'm expecting too much from the games of this generation or maybe it's cause I'm now older and wiser heck maybe even Morrowind might not provide as much enjoyment as it did back then.

RPG Master

I don't judge games based upon criteria such as graphics, but on how well the game keeps me interested in it. Skyrim is one of the few games where I would stop and think: "Should i go clear dungeon A and those vampires or should I go to town B and free the town?" While the lag was an issue, it did not really affect me as much as other people with the only times it was actually bad was inside the major town (or fast-traveling into towns).
    Sig by JK_Blade
    Shemhazat's Trophies

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by DaveyHasselhoff View Post
    Rage was technically thrashed just for texture pop in which is something very minor compared to what technical flaws this has....imagine if it had an entire page of RAGE inducing glitches.
    I'd remind you though that RAGE's were always there and always irritating. While I, by no means, hold this game up as a technical marvel... comparing RAGE's technical achievements to this is just not correct from my perspective. Skyrim is one of those weird games where everybody is going to have some issues, but nobody has the same issues. Most of the issues aren't as distracting as RAGE's issues either.

Texture pop-in in RAGE wasn't minor, RAGE has THE WORST texture pop-in of any game I've played this entire generation. It actually got to the point where it was unplayable, for me, because it was always there and only got worse over time. I can't say that for the game it knocked off: Prototype. Prototype's texture pop-in was horrendous, but it didn't get to the point where it made the game unplayable. It actually made RAGE unplayable for me.

In Skyrim, I've never been like "holy shit, I can't play this game anymore, I just can't stand this <blank> issue." Its more like the bugs prevent me from being really engrossed in the game like I was in Uncharted 3 or Deus Ex or Portal 2. When I walk into a house and someone is sleeping on air or when I walk into the Bard's College and the head Bard is still holding that torch from 7 quests ago... Its not game-breaking for me, its just that thing that slaps me in the face and reminds me "Oh, this is a game."

The framerate drops and texture issues are bad too, but they aren't always there. I'll enter a dungeon and the textures won't load for some reason, but as soon as I zone it fixes itself... Or when I'm fighting twelve city guards the framerate will drop to a crawl, but after my Dremora Lord fucks them all up it goes back to normal.

Like I said, its there and its bad, but its not a game-breaker for me. It just keeps me from crossing that plane into that completely engrossed territory.

Even with these bugs the game is still a hundred times better than RAGE could hope to be. The amount of real social interaction and the depth of choice in alot of these quests is astounding, not to mention the environment is much more varied and interesting in Skyrim than RAGE. It makes exploring the environment much more fun. Between that and the interesting storylines in this game, I'm all in when it comes to Skyrim. Their are ancillary storylines in Skyrim that are more interesting than what was going on in RAGE... To those of you who have played both games, would you rather have the Thieves' Guild questline or RAGE?

I'm challenging you to tell me that RAGE's story is more interesting than one of Skyrim's B stories... I just can't see it.

Like I said, I'm not holding this game up as a great game technically, heck I'm closer to your viewpoint than Kerwan's, but I can't behind RAGE.
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.

Gauss's Rating Rationale:
    0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    2-4: A just plain bad game.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.
    7: An average game, should be played at some point
    8: A good game, should buy at some point
    9: A great game, day-one purchase
    10: A game that goes above and beyond the generation, its transcendent.

PRO Member

Not really sure how the game can receive a 9/10 on technical and you can say that the glitches are annoying "quirks" but nothing more than that when the game is riddled with Game breaking, rage inducing glitches that can cause you to need to restart from previous saves or completely restart the game over. I won't argue with your SP scores as the story and game is fun, but between the the entire page of glitches that they have documented and the lag that will never get fixed, I wouldnt rate technical any higher than a 4-5/10

Davey, I find it increasingly harder to read your posts, because you keep putting avatars up that are to die for.

PRO Member

Since I haven't run into any problems with the game yet, I'm having a absolutely awesome time with this game. I definitely should not have gotten this before finals.

The Old Guy

I haven't played this game or RAGE, so I can't comment on the difference between the two, but based on what I know of this game I have a VERY hard time understanding a 9/10 technical score. You can't just say "it's a Bethesda game, they're always glitchy." To me, the fact that all of their games have problems and they still haven't managed to fix them makes it less acceptable, not more so.

Other than that, it's a nice review. This is one of those games that part of me really wants to try out and part of me wants to run away from just as fast as my legs will carry me.

One
    Lvl 6 - Silver

Great review Kerwan, it's definitely urging me to go out and buy the game now. Of course there are a few things preventing me from doing so, like me not being sure whether I will actually like the game or not since the closest thing to a RPG that I've played is probably Mass Effect 2. I've been reading up on certain glitches that can ruin the experience, so those are playing a role in my decision to buy the game too. I know an update was released today that might improve upon certain things, so I'll have to see.

"Oh, so you think that the darkness is your ally? You merely adopted it, I was born in it."

\(^o^)/ (・。・)

Nice review, Kerwan, but I DO NOT agree with the Technical score for Skyrim.

Skyrim was an amazing game experience for me, having finished everything I wanted to do in it. The story, characters, and world were perfectly fantasy-oriented, and combat was very satisfying. But no, what Skyrim lacks badly is in the technical side; it has as much glitches as the past Fallout games, but most of all, the crippling PS3 framelag issue that still persists after the latest patch.

Some of the glitches are severe enough to stop you from your platinum in your first Skyrim playthrough, while the framerate lag can be very annoying, enough to disrupt your gameplay every hour or two. Other than that, if you can persevere through it all, you will find Skyrim to be one of the best RPG's this year.

Thus, my conclusion is: Skyrim will be my very first, and last, Bethesda game I will have bought so far. Thanks for the experience, Bethesda, but sorry.

My technical score for Skyrim - 4/10
    | Avatar by In2 | | Sig by Athena |

Trophy Guide Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Gauss View Post
    I'd remind you though that RAGE's were always there and always irritating. While I, by no means, hold this game up as a technical marvel... comparing RAGE's technical achievements to this is just not correct from my perspective. Skyrim is one of those weird games where everybody is going to have some issues, but nobody has the same issues. Most of the issues aren't as distracting as RAGE's issues either.

Texture pop-in in RAGE wasn't minor, RAGE has THE WORST texture pop-in of any game I've played this entire generation. It actually got to the point where it was unplayable, for me, because it was always there and only got worse over time. I can't say that for the game it knocked off: Prototype. Prototype's texture pop-in was horrendous, but it didn't get to the point where it made the game unplayable. It actually made RAGE unplayable for me.

In Skyrim, I've never been like "holy shit, I can't play this game anymore, I just can't stand this <blank> issue." Its more like the bugs prevent me from being really engrossed in the game like I was in Uncharted 3 or Deus Ex or Portal 2. When I walk into a house and someone is sleeping on air or when I walk into the Bard's College and the head Bard is still holding that torch from 7 quests ago... Its not game-breaking for me, its just that thing that slaps me in the face and reminds me "Oh, this is a game."

The framerate drops and texture issues are bad too, but they aren't always there. I'll enter a dungeon and the textures won't load for some reason, but as soon as I zone it fixes itself... Or when I'm fighting twelve city guards the framerate will drop to a crawl, but after my Dremora Lord fucks them all up it goes back to normal.

Like I said, its there and its bad, but its not a game-breaker for me. It just keeps me from crossing that plane into that completely engrossed territory.

Even with these bugs the game is still a hundred times better than RAGE could hope to be. The amount of real social interaction and the depth of choice in alot of these quests is astounding, not to mention the environment is much more varied and interesting in Skyrim than RAGE. It makes exploring the environment much more fun. Between that and the interesting storylines in this game, I'm all in when it comes to Skyrim. Their are ancillary storylines in Skyrim that are more interesting than what was going on in RAGE... To those of you who have played both games, would you rather have the Thieves' Guild questline or RAGE?

I'm challenging you to tell me that RAGE's story is more interesting than one of Skyrim's B stories... I just can't see it.

Like I said, I'm not holding this game up as a great game technically, heck I'm closer to your viewpoint than Kerwan's, but I can't behind RAGE.
    I see what your saying, but bad textures arent going to keep me from playing the game as long as the game is enjoyable, which I found Rage to be enjoyable even if the story was severely lacking...what does keep me from playing are glitches in the game itself that prevent you from not being able to finish missions that you need for trophies or to finish the story. Any game where I have to save every 10 minutes or so in case I encounter a glitch just to make sure I don't have to start over is bad Technical quality IMO

I guess I just dont think that a game with such a huge amount of technical issues should receive such a high score....seems more like the score was based on the hype of the game for technical as opposed to the actual quality of product they produced for the consumers to spend our hard earned money on to support their game.

Gotham's Reckoning

Great review Kerwan. Never payed an Elder Scrolls game before but after seeing loads of Skyrim footage and the praise it has received, I'll probably will put it on my wishlist.

You see, madness, as you know, is like gravity. All it takes is a little push

Platbar By Wadefan

Sig By Apokolypz

PPS Bar By RaveNScythE18

Platinum Dohvakiin

Great Review Kerwan. I can almost agree with most of it. I just wouldn't have given the game a 9 in Technical. After putting 136 hours into one save file. Another 93 hours in a second playthrough. I can say that all these Game Breaking Bugs I keep hearing about. Has never happened to me.
    I have yet to have an issue with a quest of any sort. The game has yet to crash on me. Outside of the issues with the save file and lag. I really haven't had any major issues with the game. I have had minor things occur. As projectiles not disappearing like they should, or textures not loading properly (happened once so far). And out of the 60+ plus Dragons I have killed, only once have I not been able to absorb it's soul.
    Skyrim is not a Technical Master Piece. The game should never score higher than a 7 in Technical, to be honest. And I'm not basing that off of the bug/ glitches other people say they have experienced. Just off of mine, and mine alone. But I will say that this game is by far the least buggiest game I have played from Bethesda.

Sig & Avi by:Stupot00
    PlatzReign Supreme
    MLB2K11 Trophy Guide

Currently Playing:
    Yakuza: Dead Souls & Dynasty Warriors 7

Aussie Furry, Bitch

Personally I didn't find the lag as bad as people make it out to be. I've only experienced one or two glitches thus far, and none of them have stopped me from getting the platinum. I also mentioned the reason I gave the technical a high score was because of the soundtrack.

Quote Originally Posted by Ammyissun View Post
    I've never played an Elder Scrolls game before but this has me tempted... If it's better than Fallout 3 then I'll probably love it. Glad of the two points of view, nice work on the review guys.
    It's much better than Fallout 3..in my humble opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by [FnG] Unholy Eve View Post
    Great review and I can relate to most of it including the many flaws of the game. The one thing that does bug me is that I didn't find the various questlines long enough they all felt far to small compared to the questlines of saw Morrowind. I do miss the "ranks" of the various factions and found if a bit too quick to progress from a simple new recruit to the grandmaster of the guild even the main questline wasn't that impressively long, maybe I'm expecting too much from the games of this generation or maybe it's cause I'm now older and wiser heck maybe even Morrowind might not provide as much enjoyment as it did back then.
    Actually you can progress through the ranks of guilds. I haven't done it yet myself, but a friend of mine who's level 50 has managed to become the arch-mage of the College of Winterhold.

Quote Originally Posted by Shemhazat View Post
    I don't judge games based upon criteria such as graphics, but on how well the game keeps me interested in it. Skyrim is one of the few games where I would stop and think: "Should i go clear dungeon A and those vampires or should I go to town B and free the town?" While the lag was an issue, it did not really affect me as much as other people with the only times it was actually bad was inside the major town (or fast-traveling into towns).
    This is exactly my point; I didn't think the lag was that big of an issue and even so I'd rather judge a game based on it's other aspects. I can overlook a game's faults in Skyrim, but when it comes to a game such as Fallout: NV then I really can't ignore it.

Quote Originally Posted by ONUOsFan View Post
    I haven't played this game or RAGE, so I can't comment on the difference between the two, but based on what I know of this game I have a VERY hard time understanding a 9/10 technical score. You can't just say "it's a Bethesda game, they're always glitchy." To me, the fact that all of their games have problems and they still haven't managed to fix them makes it less acceptable, not more so.

Other than that, it's a nice review. This is one of those games that part of me really wants to try out and part of me wants to run away from just as fast as my legs will carry me.
    Well hopefully you'll decide to play it someday.

Quote Originally Posted by One View Post
    Great review Kerwan, it's definitely urging me to go out and buy the game now. Of course there are a few things preventing me from doing so, like me not being sure whether I will actually like the game or not since the closest thing to a RPG that I've played is probably Mass Effect 2. I've been reading up on certain glitches that can ruin the experience, so those are playing a role in my decision to buy the game too. I know an update was released today that might improve upon certain things, so I'll have to see.
    The glitches aren't literally game-breaking - so to speak, and since I don't consider ME2 to be an RPG if you want a pure RPG experience then there should be nothing stopping you from playing this.

Quote Originally Posted by cocoasg View Post
    Nice review, Kerwan, but I DO NOT agree with the Technical score for Skyrim.

Skyrim was an amazing game experience for me, having finished everything I wanted to do in it. The story, characters, and world were perfectly fantasy-oriented, and combat was very satisfying. But no, what Skyrim lacks badly is in the technical side; it has as much glitches as the past Fallout games, but most of all, the crippling PS3 framelag issue that still persists after the latest patch.

Some of the glitches are severe enough to stop you from your platinum in your first Skyrim playthrough, while the framerate lag can be very annoying, enough to disrupt your gameplay every hour or two. Other than that, if you can persevere through it all, you will find Skyrim to be one of the best RPG's this year.

Thus, my conclusion is: Skyrim will be my very first, and last, Bethesda game I will have bought so far. Thanks for the experience, Bethesda, but sorry.

My technical score for Skyrim - 4/10
    How can a game have a technical score of 4/10 and still manage to be one the best RPGs of the year? The technical aspect of the game is usually the least important, but even so it does effect the game to an extent where people may not want to play it for that reason alone.

I see what your saying, but bad textures arent going to keep me from playing the game as long as the game is enjoyable, which I found Rage to be enjoyable even if the story was severely lacking...what does keep me from playing are glitches in the game itself that prevent you from not being able to finish missions that you need for trophies or to finish the story. Any game where I have to save every 10 minutes or so in case I encounter a glitch just to make sure I don't have to start over is bad Technical quality IMO

I guess I just dont think that a game with such a huge amount of technical issues should receive such a high score....seems more like the score was based on the hype of the game for technical as opposed to the actual quality of product they produced for the consumers to spend our hard earned money on to support their game.
    I gave the game the rating I thought it deserved; not basing the game on the technical side and glitches. They were occasionally annoying, but I don't recall ever having to save every 10 minutes or start over, and I've poured in at least 35 hours on the PS3 version alone. You want a game that will give you hundreds of hours of value and entertainment? Then Skyrim is for you.

Aussie Furry, Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by platzreign View Post
    Great Review Kerwan. I can almost agree with most of it. I just wouldn't have given the game a 9 in Technical. After putting 136 hours into one save file. Another 93 hours in a second playthrough. I can say that all these Game Breaking Bugs I keep hearing about. Has never happened to me.
    I have yet to have an issue with a quest of any sort. The game has yet to crash on me. Outside of the issues with the save file and lag. I really haven't had any major issues with the game. I have had minor things occur. As projectiles not disappearing like they should, or textures not loading properly (happened once so far). And out of the 60+ plus Dragons I have killed, only once have I not been able to absorb it's soul.
    Skyrim is not a Technical Master Piece. The game should never score higher than a 7 in Technical, to be honest. And I'm not basing that off of the bug/ glitches other people say they have experienced. Just off of mine, and mine alone. But I will say that this game is by far the least buggiest game I have played from Bethesda.
    Indeed it is. The reason is that the Gamebyro engine was not used this time around and therefore a lot less technical problems were encountered.

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by platzreign View Post
    Same here. 60 hours into one save, 40 into another...nothing is going on for me.

Legendary...Nuff Said

Good review, Kerwan. For me personally, I have thoroughly enjoyed the time I've had with Skyrim (about 25+ hours), but it is also to note that this is a game to be taken in as a whole package rather than one to be nit-picked. For instance, walking up close to a tree will reveal that the textures are actually pretty bad when compared to today's big-name titles, but gaze in awe at a mountain such as The Throat of the World from a distance, and it's damn amazing and looks realistic beyond belief.

The same thing can be applied to the bugs and glitches, although I personally have not run into any lag whatsoever, and I've only run into a few glitches such as "endless load screens" which will make you have to restart the PS3 and reload your last save.

I think that in general, the reason that Skyrim is still a good game even though it has it's technical flaws is that when you consider the fact that you could spend hundreds upon hundreds of hours playing this game with such amazing enjoyment (the gameplay truly shines, and there's so much shit to do here), running into one minor glitch here and there is many times excusable because they don't come all too often as for the game to be unplayable.

I don't know about you guys, but when I look back at Skyrim in 5-10 years, I won't be remembering that I ran into a few glitches, instead I'll be remembering taking down dragons with my Orcish Sword of Flames in one hand and my Firebolt spell in the other hand. It's an awesome experience, and fully deserving of a 9/10. If you want to be more nit-picky, than I think Gauss' score is more suited towards your thoughts and feelings, rather than Kerwan's who is for those of us that can look at an experience as a big picture. If you were to look at a famous painting, you'll probably find some faults across the way, even though they are minute and not easily spotted. Skyrim is similar from a conceptual standpoint.

Ultimately, I think everyone is going to have a difference experience with the game. The reason why some are loving it while others are hating is simply because of the person you are. If you are nit-picky (which isn't a bad thing by any means, don't be offended ), you won't enjoy it as much, whereas big-picture people will enjoy the hell out of this game.

deviantART | Gifts | SOTM XXXVI
    Circumstances may change, but circumcisions are forever.

Yankees And Packers <3

great review i cant wait to start playing skyrim

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast