Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Assassin's Creed: Revelations Review

This is a discussion on Assassin's Creed: Revelations Review within the Game Reviews forum, part of the Trophy Guides, Reviews & Articles; Assassin's Creed: Revelations Review by Curse Basic Information: Developer: Ubisoft Montreal Publisher: Ubisoft North American Release Date: November 15th 2011 ...

PRO Member

by Curse

Basic Information:
    Developer: Ubisoft Montreal
    Publisher: Ubisoft
    North American Release Date: November 15th 2011
    European Release Date: November 15th 2011
    Trophies: 1 1 20 38

Overview

The Assassin's Creed franchise makes a return again this year with Revelations, a game designed to open our eyes even more to the massive storyline Ubisoft are creating. This year's entry sets about tying up loose ends on the stories of Ezio and AltaÔr whilst carrying on the present day story of Desmond.

Gameplay

For starters I don't think the game was ever designed to be a massive entry full of brand new gameplay on a whole new engine and to wow us with innovations. What they've done here is added to what seems to be a winning formula with a fair amount of new additions to how you can play the game. Whilst the overall feel of the game feels within the same boundries set with the previous Assassin's Creed games the new additions have started to add a new dimension to the game. My favorite addition has to be the bomb creation system. Throughout the game you'll be picking up bomb ingredients and finding bomb creating stations to make your new bombs. The bombs are split up into three categories, tactical, diversion and lethal bombs. Tactical bombs are used to both distract your enemies and give Ezio an advantage when it comes to killing them. A personal highlight was dropping a smokescreen in a big group and then quickly assassinating the group. Diversion bombs are similar to those found in the other Assassins Creed games, and they're used to distract guards/move civilians and it brings their attention to where you threw the bomb allowing you to sneak by. Lethal bombs are used to either kill or poison enemies and can be a great way to both take out enemies and distract others. Whilst the bombs may sound like a fairly simple addition, they add a whole new tactic when it comes to sneaking into bases and they're a bunch of fun to use on unsuspecting enemies.

The game features a change of pace in some ways mainly due to the age of Ezio whom you play as throughout the game. With Ezio being a lot older now he clearly doesn't have the speed of the younger 20/30 year old Ezio. I found that if you were simply running on foot you'll have certain enemies catching up with you, climbing sequences that used to be a breeze to run straight through seem to take a little longer. This makes you feel more connected to the character, and makes you think your approach through a little more. They've combated Ezio's age with a new climbing gadget, the hookblade. On one arm Ezio now has hookblade, used for assassinating two people at once and climbing to brand new heights. With the hookblade you can now jump up to climb higher than usual, perform new combat moves utilizing the hooks and use ropes as ziplines. The ziplines felt so fun to use, having a large group of enemies chasing you, you have nowhere left to turn until suddenly you find a zipline ontop of a tall building nearby, you then set out climbing the building before quickly flying down the zipline jumping off into the street and walking off like nothing happened.

The combat hasn't changed too much but that isn't too much of a bad thing, it works really well and feels as fluent as ever. Whilst there haven't been too many additions, the foundations left from Brotherhood didn't exactly need fixing. You still have a massive amount of weapons to choose from and a lot of different enemies which need different approaches. All of this stops the combat from getting stale. There are new animations for the finishing kills and new moves including the hook. Again, the combat feels fresh which lets you ignore the fact that it's using a lot of the same gameplay from before in terms of fighting.

Hookblading down a zipline, just as fun as it looks!

Singleplayer

The story behind Assassins Creed blows my mind on a yearly basis with each new game. The same has happened here, I couldn't live with myself if I ruined this for people so I'll try to keep my mouth shut, but take my word for it you'll be shocked and satisfied by the twists and turns in all three storylines: Ezio's, Altair's and Desmond's. Every other Assassins Creed seems to have followed the same kind of set routine, give the player a certain area and release them in a sea of missions, side quests, shops and civilians. Whilst this has often worked, one of the main flaws is that people get a little bored as you do seem to be doing the same thing throughout the game. With revelations they seem to have set out to remove this from the very start. Although roughly two thirds or three quarters of the game are set in Istanbul, it doesn't feel like you're being restricted to just the same missions in Istanbul.

Right from the start you're following Altair's footprints and you're completely on your own. You go through some of the standard climbing and sneaking about in this snowy area (Not the normal sunny summer scene that we get). You get discovered and enter a chase scene in a horse and carriage where you'll be trying to destroy the enemy horse and carriage. This is then followed by a sequence where you're dangling from a carriage by a piece of rope and you need to drag your way back up. Whilst they've always tried to include these different missions in the games they seem to be more present in Revelations than ever, and much more varied. The most unique mission comes in form of a tower defense game where you position your assassins to defend from an oncoming attack. Whilst it's nice to see them try different missions I'm glad that they didn't focus too much on forcing you to try them, you get a taster of each so to say, and from then on it's up to you to decide to try out the side missions based on these new gameplay elements. The heart and soul of the game is still set about climbing, sneaking and assassinating, and it still does this perfectly.

The game is set about Desmond being trapped inside his own mind in the animus, his only chance of escaping is by tying up all of the loose ends from his ancestors memories. This does make the game feel like a filler before a massive finale in Assassins Creed 3, but it is a needed filler. They took the right move in giving us a final piece to the Ezio/Altair puzzle, but the overall puzzle is nowhere near complete. The game gives us five missions set inside Desmonds mind in this really weird first person world. It's Desmond accessing his own memories and reflecting on things and educating the player in his past. It's a really unique artistic way of displaying this all and I loved it. They could've showed us Desmonds past in any way, but instead they made this artistic platforming sequence. Of course this isn't everyone's cup of tea, but again it's just a side quest, you aren't forced into any of it. This is where the game prevails, there's a lot of variation if you want it, but if you want to just run around slashing at everyone and everything and not caring for the story you can. The game gives you a platform to explore and you're free to do what you wish.

I mentioned that at times it feels like a filler game, and unfortunately this is reflected in the length of the game. There's only 9 chapters but there is a lot of other content in there. As someone whose main interest is the story I had to feel slightly disappointed. It spends about three chapters developing the story, three chapters getting you connected to the plot and characters, and about three chapters finishing it all off. Thankfully Ubisoft have worked their magic again and I felt myself feeling connected to the new characters as well as the epic of a story running at the same time, but it did have the feeling of them finishing it off a little too quickly.

Even in new surroundings Ezio takes no prisoners

Multiplayer

Multiplayer was bought into the franchise last year with Assassins Creed Brotherhood, and at the time I was unsure how well it would fit in and how forced it would feel. Thankfully I was pleasantly surprised with the new competitive multiplayer, it stayed true to the nature of the game and it was a fun experience. At the time I was pleased with Brotherhood's multiplayer, but Revelations makes it look like a much rougher model of what Ubisoft originally had in mind. Thereís about as much change in the multiplayer as youíd come to expect from any online portion of a game, new maps and characters and things to do to keep us busy etc., but the online portion feels much more polished now after some work.

It may even be just simple little things like menus being adjusted and it may be that Iíve not once came across lag issues, but what theyíve done is managed to ease out the learning curve a fair bit. You now have perks to use from the very start meaning you arenít at too much of a disadvantage when playing against higher levels. I was constantly coming across people who had clearly put a lot of time into leveling up online, but I never once sat there complaining and feeling like my death was unjust. Instead I realized that I couldíve used such and such approach or used a certain perk to help me get away. Overall the multiplayer follows the same theme as that in Brotherhood, throwing the player in a busy area with a few choices of game-modes which all have their own unique twist on how and who youíre trying to assassinate. Whilst itís a fun mode to have there was nothing really keeping me personally coming back, nor was there a lot to suggest that the online is going to be overshadowing the Singleplayer anytime soon. Itís great to see a developer trying to balance having an enjoyable Singleplayer and multiplayer portion, as of such the game should be fulfilling the players needs even more so than ever

You never know who's watching you in the multiplayer

Technical

Revelations isnít exactly pushing boundaries in the technical department, but there are sections that are stunning. At the start of Revelations you come across a cinematic sequence that has featured in a trailer for the game where Ezio has been captured and he escapes in the same way that his predecessor Altair did. The level of graphical detail in this cinematic is insane, there are times where if somebody told you this was real youíd probably believe them. Of course, itís all pre-rendered CGI nonsense, no actual gameplay, but it still left me there with the deep thought of is this real?

The rest of the game doesnít exactly follow the theme in making your jaw drop with how lifelike it looks, but this is certainly no ugly game. Istanbul looks good, as did Rome in Brotherhood, but it didnít feel very new so to say. Thankfully the game changes location a little more than its predecessors and you see some brief changes in scenery. These new areas, mainly the setting of the first Assassin's Creed but in a snowy winter look great, they look gritty and capture the hard times that are going on there. The game looks its best towards the end of the story, where Ezio gets hold of a Greek flamethrower on-board of a ship. You set everything around you on a harbour ablaze, and then start a climbing sequence escaping onto your own ship whilst everything around you is part of this inferno taking everything with it. The game sounds fantastic, and that really helps it capture the essence of Istanbul in the same way that they did with the Italian cities in earlier games, it makes you feel involved in your surroundings and the soundtrack really builds up the dramatic sequences.

Trophies

I like the trophy list here for Revelations, there are no online trophies that demand massive amounts of time doing mundane tasks, but you'll need to finish off nearly everything that there is to do in the singleplayer. And with a game like this, that's no bad thing.

Closing Thoughts

Based on the thrilling story left behind by the other entries in the Assassin's Creed franchise, Revelations is one hell of a game and one that I'll be going back to spend plenty of time on. It's left me dying for more once again, and at this rate I don't see how or when the Assassin's Creed hype train will be slowing down

Gameplay: 8/10
    Not many changes, but I can't point out many major flaws whatsoever. Still feels fresh but they can't rest on the laurels for much longer

Singleplayer: 9/10
    A great experience that's built up to what's got to be a massive release in Assassin's Creed 3, but it felt a little rushed towards the end. However, the new variation in different gameplay sequences felt great

Multiplayer: 8/10
    Some good work has been made on the multiplayer, and whilst itís not keeping me coming back and putting day after day into ranking up etc. , thereís enough there for most players

Technical: 9/10
    Great looking and feeling game, I canít help but get lost in this world theyíve created and itís for all the right reasons!

Overall: 8.5/10 Great
    Last edited by Curse; 11-30-2011 at 11:07 AM.

PRO Member

Great review Curse.

Although I have a disdain for the premise of the story, I've always felt this was a quality series nonetheless. Atleast the PS3 entries.
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.

Gauss's Rating Rationale:
    0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    2-4: A just plain bad game.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.
    7: An average game, should be played at some point
    8: A good game, should buy at some point
    9: A great game, day-one purchase
    10: A game that goes above and beyond the generation, its transcendent.

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gauss View Post
    Great review Curse.

Although I have a disdain for the premise of the story, I've always felt this was a quality series nonetheless. Atleast the PS3 entries.
    The fact that I can even compare it to Metal Gear shows how much I love the story, it's probably just the way they play it around events in history that have already happened etc. It all depends on how far they go with 'the ones who were before' but I like it how they've took the Christian story of Adam and Eve, the apple etc and pretty much put THAT story on drugs, with the end product being Assassins Creed

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Very nice article, I pretty much agree with all of it...
    I do think that you could mention the small part of "story" in MP. While it's not something ground breaking, the videos you unlock show the other side of the conflict Templars VS Assassins. Some people might find it interesting. (Especially the last video - it might hint something about AC3 - who knows)

I don't know about others but I can't help but think they neglected Altairs/Desmonds story lines here.
    I'm kind of worried that when AC3 comes out players will find it tricky to "connect" with Desmond. I think they should have given him more "air time" in ACR to prepare us for the finale.
    As for Altair's memories - too short. Sure, they show the main events in his life but compared to the stuff in novels/encyclopedia there is much more content about Altair.

But I agree, 8.5 is more than enough for ACR.

Retired on PS3 (since Dec 2013) due to half-broken console and lack of funds and time to fix it.
    Oct 2014 - Dec 2014 - Back on PS3
    Retired on PS3 since Jan 2014 due to original reasons.

Toggle Spoiler

Crocodile Hunter

A great read man i am looking forward to continue my AC story

Sig by Apokolypz

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Right On Man! Great Review

Lvl 6 - Silver

Great review. I think its a fitting score and all points are honest and truthfull.
    Batman Arkham Asylum l Batman Arkham City l Bioshock l Borderlands l GoW: Chains of Olympus l God of War
    GoW: Ghost of Sparta l God of War II l God of War III l InFamous l Killzone l Killzone 3 l LEGO Batman 2 l LEGO LotR
    LittleBigPlanet l LittleBigPlanet Vita l Plants Vs. Zombies Vita l PS All-Stars Vita l R&C: Going Commando
    R&C: Up Your Arsenal l R&C: A Crack in Time l R&C: All4One l R&C: Full Frontal Assault l Resistance: Burning Skies
    The Walking Dead l Trine 2 l Uncharted: Golden Abyss

Lvl 5 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Kam11ru View Post
    Very nice article, I pretty much agree with all of it...
    I do think that you could mention the small part of "story" in MP. While it's not something ground breaking, the videos you unlock show the other side of the conflict Templars VS Assassins. Some people might find it interesting. (Especially the last video - it might hint something about AC3 - who knows)

I don't know about others but I can't help but think they neglected Altairs/Desmonds story lines here.
    I'm kind of worried that when AC3 comes out players will find it tricky to "connect" with Desmond. I think they should have given him more "air time" in ACR to prepare us for the finale.
    As for Altair's memories - too short. Sure, they show the main events in his life but compared to the stuff in novels/encyclopedia there is much more content about Altair.

But I agree, 8.5 is more than enough for ACR.
    ^This

Good review of the game though, almost made me want to pop it in again.

Lvl 5 - Silver

So it was right, AC Revelations have the lowest ranking of all AC, very sad
    PS4: jGezze7
    ''War... War Never Changes...... Men do, through the roads they walk.''

PRO Member

Great review curse i think i am going to buy this game sooner now that i know about how the multiplayer is

PRO-M Thanks 2 NeroRadec!

Great review Curse. I have not played the game yet so this review is much appreciated.

Signature by DaRe_xLw

Lvl 9 - Gold

Great review, Curse.

After playing through the game and getting 100% in the SP, I noticed that the main story was a bit shorter than previous entries, but the sheer amount of extra content outside of the story helped fill out my playtime to over 30 hours. I also feel that they eased up on the 100% synch requirements, as there were very few I had trouble getting my first time through, and only two memories that I left until after I finished the game to go back and clean up.
    I also noticed the variation in missions this time around. From the one you mentioned, to the "hang-gliding" one towards the end of the game, as well as how they made the Templar Tombs feel very "Uncharted-like", there was so much variety in the gameplay for this entry, it's simply astounding. And the hookblade was an amazing addition, with some of the faction challenges requiring its use allowing you to really get a feel for it, with the hook-and-run, hook-and-throw and the counter-steal, all very useful moves once you get the hang of them. Remember running away from enemies into a blockade and getting knocked down or attacked? Not anymore! The hookblade is amazing.
    And I found myself liking the MP in this entry a lot more than in Brotherhood. I only played the MP in the previous game one time. But this time around, I'm not sure how they did it, but they made it feel more involved, more polished (as you said), and more enjoyable to play through. The variety of different game modes was very welcome, as I found that there were some modes more suited to my playstyle than others. Trying Deathmatch, Assassinate or Steal the Artifact, I could never get more than 2000 points in one session. When playing Manhunt, Corruption or Escort, I could get anywhere from 3000 to over 6000 points, plus bonuses for completing challenges. There's so much variation in the unlockables for the MP in Revelations that it actually made it fun to try different play styles, with the various accolades to be earned.
    Lastly, I played the SP from start-to-finish, and most of my MP time, in 3D. Considering how late the news broke that there was even going to be 3D in this game, I was surprised at how good it was. In my opinion, it looked even better than Uncharted 3. Now, this could be due to the fact that I picked up a pair of the new Sony PS3 3D glasses when I got the game, whereas I played U3 with the older tech glasses, but the character models in Revelations looked amazing in 3D, especially Sophia *wink, wink*.

All in all, I found the game, and the 'revelations', to be well worth the price of admission, and I can't wait for what I hope to be the final entry in the series next year, to finish Desmond's story.

Lvl 6 - Silver

good review. i'll pick this up when theres a price drop. because SP I think was only good in ACB. but, thanks for the review
    I still play Black Ops because me and brother have 2 PS3's and share a copy of Modern Warfare 3. So that is why I play it sometimes. Thats the *ONLY* time I play Black Ops! When brother is not playing MW3, I am!

Local Drunk

Great review. Looking forward to playing this once I finish Brotherhood.

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by Curse View Post
    The fact that I can even compare it to Metal Gear shows how much I love the story, it's probably just the way they play it around events in history that have already happened etc. It all depends on how far they go with 'the ones who were before' but I like it how they've took the Christian story of Adam and Eve, the apple etc and pretty much put THAT story on drugs, with the end product being Assassins Creed
    No, not that. The entire subtext of the conspiracy stuff.

Granted its not as insulting as many conspiracy tales because its very much a spy-vs-spy-type story where you have two secret societies.

I just feel like AC's conspiracy angles have gotten too broad. Effectively they've crafted a canon where the ENTIRETY OF HUMAN HISTORY boils down to a power struggle between two factions with a third-unseen faction pulling strings occasionally.

Thats the part that I disdain, its the background stuff. The actual core elements of the story are good though, a character like Ezio is an example of a true, real, good, well-developed character. Its just the fictional universe he is set in bothers me.
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.

Gauss's Rating Rationale:
    0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    2-4: A just plain bad game.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.
    7: An average game, should be played at some point
    8: A good game, should buy at some point
    9: A great game, day-one purchase
    10: A game that goes above and beyond the generation, its transcendent.

Lvl 5 - Silver

Its a good review but I may disagree with you on some points regarding the story. IMO this game is pure 10/10 like brotherhood thou the story is the best so far awesome 11/10, but that just my opinion.
    Quote of the week:
    "For a man to conquer himself is the first and noblest of all victories." - Plato

An old-fashioned cowboy

Ezio is really something. I have never before played as a character in a game that I stuck around for all his life. From his birth to his final days. Ubisoft succeeded in getting me emotionally invested in him. I was so sad when I finished the story.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

same score as my monthly magazine still need to play the last one Nice review curse !

Lvl 3 - Bronze

great review m8 !! ... just orderred my copy

PRO Member

great review........... i took care of multiplayer 1st..... now i Anxiously will be starting the SP.........
    and I'm expecting nothing less of greatness from the SP just like the other AC....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast