Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Saints Row: The Third Review

This is a discussion on Saints Row: The Third Review within the Game Reviews forum, part of the Trophy Guides, Reviews & Articles; Personally I think this game is to sandbox titles what Bulletstorm is to FPSs: Unabashed fun that exists completely to ...

PRO Member

Personally I think this game is to sandbox titles what Bulletstorm is to FPSs: Unabashed fun that exists completely to remind us that sometimes a game can be about mindless, stupid fun wrapped up in a bow of well executed gameplay.

Still, I understand all your points and why you care about them, which is all I can ask of a review.

All in all, great review .

Quote Originally Posted by One View Post
    Would happen to disagree on this score, it should have gotten around a 9 in my books. The only problem I see is that you gave the Gameplay a 7/10 because it's caught somewhere between realistic and unrealistic. Not once did I actually see this game trying to be life like, but that's where all the fun comes in.
    Well I see where you are coming from... I think what Curse is getting at with the "between" thing is that while the game is very much about OTT (like that abbrev Son), the gameplay elements don't have alot of 'whimsy' to them so to speak.

If you take out the OTT vehicles and weapons, its your standard GTA clone. The presentation and vehicles have alot of that flavor, but the core gameplay elements don't jive with that.

I'm not saying I agree with Curse's assessment, but I'm playing devil's advocate here because I understand why he is saying what he did. If the core gameplay elements had some zazz to it (like how Crackdown didn't feel like a GTA clone cause I could jump around the whole city and run at Mach 45), it might feel better blended with the rest of the game. I don't think its necessary, but I get Curse's point.
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.

Gauss's Rating Rationale:
    0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    2-4: A just plain bad game.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.
    7: An average game, should be played at some point
    8: A good game, should buy at some point
    9: A great game, day-one purchase
    10: A game that goes above and beyond the generation, its transcendent.

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gauss View Post
    Personally I think this game is to sandbox titles what Bulletstorm is to FPSs: Unabashed fun that exists completely to remind us that sometimes a game can be about mindless, stupid fun wrapped up in a bow of well executed gameplay.

Still, I understand all your points and why you care about them, which is all I can ask of a review.

All in all, great review .

Well I see where you are coming from... I think what Curse is getting at with the "between" thing is that while the game is very much about OTT (like that abbrev Son), the gameplay elements don't have alot of 'whimsy' to them so to speak.

If you take out the OTT vehicles and weapons, its your standard GTA clone. The presentation and vehicles have alot of that flavor, but the core gameplay elements don't jive with that.

I'm not saying I agree with Curse's assessment, but I'm playing devil's advocate here because I understand why he is saying what he did. If the core gameplay elements had some zazz to it (like how Crackdown didn't feel like a GTA clone cause I could jump around the whole city and run at Mach 45), it might feel better blended with the rest of the game. I don't think its necessary, but I get Curse's point.
    Crackdown was one of the games I had in mind when I was writing about how it's caught between real and unrealistic. Towards the end as its been said your character is nearly invincible, and it's clear to see how unrealistic the game is and it does feel closer to the likes of Crackdown than GTA. I think the main part that got me was how standard the gameplay feels compared to the other fresh ideas they've produced with the game

Crocodile Hunter

i still havnt picked this up yet and the review hasnt let me down so ill have to do so soon

Sig by Apokolypz

Lvl 3 - Bronze

I agree with the review, the Saints Row was ultimately a fun game that doesn't take itself seriously (and you shouldn't take it seriously either). The story line was mostly laughable, but enjoyable enough to make me progress onwards to the next mission. The trophy clean up wasn't awful, but it wasn't particularly fun either, I got stuck standing around having to wait for the phone to ring to go on and complete another survival mission.

Although the biggest irritation was the difficultly, I played on hard from beginning to end and I only felt challenged at one or two moments and it was usually when I was in small areas with Brutes with flamethrowers. Then towards end game you can upgrade to become invincible against all damage (except for cars etc smashing into you) so there is no challenge any more. For most of the survival missions (after finishing the game/upgrading to invincibility) that were time based I'd position my character in a corner where he/she/it couldn't be moved by attacks and then go grab a beer and read a book whilst waiting for it to finish.

Gotham's Reckoning

Tbh I'm disapointed that you gave it a 7, I would have given this at least an 8. In no way is it better than GTA but it is still a really fun game and I really enjoyed it.

You see, madness, as you know, is like gravity. All it takes is a little push

Platbar By Wadefan

Sig By Apokolypz

PPS Bar By RaveNScythE18

Hunter-Scholar-Gentleman

Looking forward to tackling this once I've had my fill with Skyrim; from the looks of it, it is exactly what I was hoping for it to be. There are times when one needs to play critically acclaimed games, ones that transcend the medium and just make you go "wow!". And then there are times where you just want to get a long purple dildo and bash people's heads in with it and have a lot of fun doing. It's so wrong it's right!

The Road So Far And The Road Ahead
    `Best Trophy Checklist (2014)
    `Checklist Spotlight #2 Winner (2014)
    `2nd place Trophy Checklist (2013)

Currently Playing
    `Batman: Arkham Knight [95%]
    `AC: Syndicate [6%]
    `Helldivers [26%]

Signature & Avatar

`courtesy of DaRe_xLw

Chuck Norris Approved.

Quote Originally Posted by redcell89 View Post
    I don't really care about the score, I just wanna beat up ppl with 3ft shlong dildos and customize my character in the craziest waay possible

P.s. The dildos color matches my name
    It is alway's a good thing when dream's come true. On topic, I had a great time with the game. I just need to go back and get the platinum. I got tied up playing other title's.

Avy, Chambers35 Sig, dsluckay

Local Drunk

Great review. Still haven't got this yet, have to get it soon.

Awesomely awesome sig by Beam & social group bar by DaRe
    The Local Drunk's Experience With Trophies

Lvl 3 - Bronze

nice review.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

I was finding that most people were comparing it to GTA, but in fact, Volition tried to get away from that. And I think that if people hadn't done that, Saints Row would be much more popular. Yes it has it's flaws but, I'd rather have a game I could screw around on and not get penalized, and at the same time, have fun over the little things.

INTJ

i would give this game a 10.

spent weeks on this game and it's the most fun i had in gaming all last year that wasn't mainly singleplayer based

No Matter What

I wish they would've done the multiplayer like Rockstar did with Red Dead Redemption. That was the best Multiplayer I've played in a long time.

"But now in the end I understand that it made be stronger."

Happy Tree Friends
    Come here for some bloody fun

Classic Rap Fans
    The hangout for fans of the Golden Era.

ExDesigns
    A prime spot for quality GFX

|Sig by Dare|

Puns always intended.

One dimension short of being in a 3D game.

It's the fact that on more than one occasion i really did sit, chortling to myself because something absolutely absurd had happened, without spoiling much, the wrestling match bit took extreme wrestling spots and made it absolutely stupidly O.T.T. ( for you that one, Gauss, lol) and that is near impossible if you follow the laws of any real,logical world.Don't even get me started on the Bondage club mission, i spat beer at my TV, childish, i know but hey, my humour is built that way.

It also offers variety in it's missions, for as much as i love GTA IV i know it wasn't a patch on San Andreas for mission variety and if people wish to compare SR with GTA then this is a couple of points in Volition's favour.

Just buy it already!

Lvl 1 - Bronze

I personally would give it a 9, but this is just me and how much I enjoyed it. I understand that there isn't a good balance of realism in the game, but when a pair of boxing gloves can make someone explode in one hit, I throw all ideas of realism out the window. Since I'm plying on a console I'm not expecting 7 year old hardware to make a game look fantastic, so I never mind the notion of graphics and whatnot. That's just me though

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Yeah the fun factor throws it up to a 10 for me but I think the review is pretty fair, even though I'm not too keen on Skyrim I can see why he would feel awkward giving Saint's Row a similar score.

Lvl 9 - Gold

I agree with the score. The fun factor was a 10 but the story brings the score down. Nice review
    Platbar by Wadefan1

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Exactly. I still want the game, I'm kinda getting tired of shooters.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Mos def deserved at least an 8. Come on.

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by UrbanaSupernova View Post
    Mos def deserved at least an 8. Come on.
    I no dewd i totly shud of gave it .5 mre

It's not like I explained all of my choices in the actual review, y'know, that meaningless thing above the scores

A Vampire with a Soul

A fun Game in a long time.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast