by Nagflar

Basic Information:
Developer: PopCap
Publisher: Sony Online Entertainment
North American Release Date: Januray 29, 2009
European Release Date: January 5, 2010
Trophies: 7 | 4 | 1 | 0

Overview
Bejeweled 2 is the sequel to PC best seller puzzle game Bejeweled, developed by the PC-lover company PopCap. It was released back in 2004 for the PC, and ported 5 years later to the North American PSN (and a year later to the European one) , including leaderboads and a trophy list, for you trophy lovers.

Now, lets see how the game works and if it it's worth its $9.99 on the PSN.

Gameplay
Bejeweled 2 is played by swaping gems of the same type in order to create chains of 3. Once a chain is created, the gems explode and new random-generated ones fall from the top of the board and replace them. You can make chains from 3, 4 and 5 gems. The chain of 3 only makes them explode. The chain of 4 creates something called a Power Gem, that when used in a chain, makes a bigger explosion for more points. And finally, the chain of 5 creates something called a Hypercube, which when swaped with another gem, makes all the gems of that same type disappear from the board.

Sometimes, some of the random generated gems will create chains by their own, creating a chain reaction which is known as a cascade in the game, which sometimes makes you go from one level to another very easily without you noticing, but it might also destroy some of your plays.

All in all, the gameplay is easy to understand, and you'll get the hang on it in a matter of minutes, even seconds, and thats what makes this game so popular on the PC (hell, I'm surprised I haven't found one for a cellphone yet!).

An example of what happens when you use a Hypercube.

Singleplayer
The game consists of 4 normal modes and 4 secret ones that are unlocked after reaching a certain level on the normal ones. The normal modes are Classic, Action, Puzzle and Endless.

Classic mode consists of the player making matches to make a blue bar at the bottom of the screen fill up, which resuslt in the player advancing to the next level. This mode ends when you have no more moves.

Action mode is a timed mode where the blue bar start halfway filled and continuously decreases and giving the player a limited time to complete the level. Luckily, theres always a move you can make, and the mode only ends when the blue bar is completely depleted.

Puzzle mode consist of sixteen worlds, each with 5 levels. While some are easy, others are a little hard and require much more thinking. Luckily for those who get stuck easily, there is a hint button that can actually make you win the whole mode.

Here we see how long Puzzle mode is.

Endless mode is a neverending version of the Classic Mode. Here you just keep playing until you are bored or too tired and can come back later when you are bored of something else.

The other 5 secret modes are variations of those 4, but with a little twist. I highly recomend trying to get them and play them (specially the one called Finity, which is like Endless but with random generated bombs and power gems ), for the little twist they add to the other 4 modes can sometimes prove to be very and much more entertaining.

Technical
While Bejeweled 2 is a port from the PC, it has hardly anything different. Graphics are good, animations work perfectly and the musical score is relaxing and fits well the game. Chances of finding a glitch or a bug are as high as the number of people having Warhawk’s platinum, and even if you happen to hear about one, chances are it's already fixed.

It makes sense why PopCap hardly releases a patch or an update, for it works perfectly on practically every aspect I can think of and the game needs no update nor upgrade.

Trophies
The game feautures 7 Bronze trophies, 4 Silver ones, and a very easy Gold one. Mostof the bronze trophies are awarded for playing the game normaly or achieving certain stats. The silver ones are for reaching a number of gems destroyed or created, and the gold one is awarded for beating Puzzle mode (which proves to be easy with the Hint Button).

If you are interested in getting some easy but entertaining trophies, Bejeweled 2 is your game, tough 100% might prove challenging for some people, it's still possible and just requires patience (specially with Dimentional Rift).

Gameplay: 9/10 brilliant
Easy to understand and master.

Singleplayer: 9/10 brilliant
Many different modes will keep you hooked for a while.

Technical: 10/10 flawless
While it is a port, I dare to say it even beats the original on the PC.

Overall: 9/10 brilliant

Bejeweled 2 proves to be a great PSN game that can keep you occupied for hour and hours (specially with Endless Mode). It is just $9.99, and in my opinion, I think it’s a great price for something that will keep you away from being bored for a while, and if you don't believe, go download the demo on the PSN and tell me if it wasn't fun .