Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2011 Review Team Game of the Year Awards: Most Surprising Game of 2011

This is a discussion on 2011 Review Team Game of the Year Awards: Most Surprising Game of 2011 within the Game Reviews forum, part of the Trophy Guides, Reviews & Articles; As 2011 comes to a close the Review Team took a look back at all the great games of 2011 ...

PRO Member

2011 Review Team Game of the Year Awards: Most Surprising Game of 2011

As 2011 comes to a close the Review Team took a look back at all the great games of 2011 and decided to bring PS3Trophies.com our selection for:

Most Surprising Game of 2011

We define a title as surprising if it came in with no or low expectations and ended up surprising us with its overall quality or uniqueness. Each member of the RT voted on a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place game and the results below were based on the results of each members' votes. Eligible titles were released between 12/1/2010 and 12/1/2011.

Come back tomorrow as we will award Best Technical Game of 2011.

1st Place:

Bulletstorm

Quote Originally Posted by Curse
    I rented Bulletstorm without expecting much, I was only really expecting an over the top shooter to pass some time. What I got was a game that I've still not returned to the rental company. Bulletstorm is one of the most fun games I've ever played, and I still can't stop wanting to play the game more than six months later.

2nd Place:

Stacking

Quote Originally Posted by Gauss
    Stacking really came out of nowhere for me. I've always liked Tim Schafer but don't follow him, or PSN games for that matter, with any ferocity. This is the first title that has made me question that viewpoint. I bought it when it was on sale for PSN+ members and honestly regret not playing it earlier. It features a fun story with a great sense of humor and really has multiple unique twists in the gameplay department that remind me of what makes Schafer so good.

I highly recommend this game, it took me completely by surprise... In the best possible way.

3rd Place:

Assassin's Creed: Revelations

Quote Originally Posted by Curb
    I'll be the first to admit it: I love Assassin's Creed, but I was sure the series would begin to run out of steam. It may yet do so with the advent of Assassin's Creed III, but so far the series has not disappointed. With the release of Revelations, every game has now improved significantly on its predecessor in terms of gameplay, technical achievements, story. And with the inclusion of fairly good, if unnecessary, multiplayer in the last two titles, I can safely say that improvement has been across the board.

I will probably get it even if it's awful just to see the end of the story play out, but Assassin's Creed III looks like it's got all the momentum in the world going for it, and that's exciting.
    Last edited by Curse; 12-21-2011 at 06:04 PM.
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.

Gauss's Rating Rationale:
    0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    2-4: A just plain bad game.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.
    7: An average game, should be played at some point
    8: A good game, should buy at some point
    9: A great game, day-one purchase
    10: A game that goes above and beyond the generation, its transcendent.

Retired TGT Member

w00t Assassin's Creed: Revelations with a strong finish!

KCCO!

Stacking, eh? I picked it up some months back but have never touched it. I may have to give it a go one of these days to break up the monotony of other games.

Huge Skip Bayless fan.

nice to see stacking on the list, such a great game.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
    Stacking, eh? I picked it up some months back but have never touched it. I may have to give it a go one of these days to break up the monotony of other games.
    if your going to go for the trophies later, you should check out my guide

Formerly known as UrbanHellraiser

Resident PHD

Quote Originally Posted by UrbanHellraiser View Post
    if your going to go for the trophies later, you should check out my guide
    Nothing wrong with some shameless self promotion

Stacking is one I need to get back to as well. I popped it in after midnight one day (I got it free from PSN+) and it was too late to play a game with that much text. I just never got back to it for some reason. I'm going to have to go back to it now.

AWESOME SIG AND AVY BY ALISON CHECK OUT HER WORK HERE

Huge Skip Bayless fan.

Quote Originally Posted by dr_mayus View Post
    Nothing wrong with some shameless self promotion

Stacking is one I need to get back to as well. I popped it in after midnight one day (I got it free from PSN+) and it was too late to play a game with that much text. I just never got back to it for some reason. I'm going to have to go back to it now.
    Stacking Trophy Guide - PS3 Trophies Forum .

Formerly known as UrbanHellraiser

Lvl 6 - Silver

an assassins creed game does not fit into your definition of surprising game it had high expectations based on how well the previous games have done but if assassins creed fits in this category I guess skyrim does too

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cheeseclown View Post
    an assassins creed game does not fit into your definition of surprising game it had high expectations based on how well the previous games have done but if assassins creed fits in this category I guess skyrim does too
    Well, for the Review Team members who voted for it atleast, many had low expectations for Assassin's Creed and found the new story elements and gameplay devices introduced to really give the series some momentum after what they felt was a poor outing for the last Assassin's Creed titles.

The majority of the Review Team felt that Skyrim actually did not meet expectations levied for the game, while the environment is deep and fun, it also has more than a few bugs.

Keep in mind too that this is based on voting, and I can tell you that (outside of Bulletstorm) everything else was very close. Assassin's Creed barely beat out Enslaved for 3rd place.
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.

0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Hmm might have to pick some of those games...
    Platinum's Working On= BORDERLANDS 2 (57%) MADDEN NFL 13 (25%) inFAMOUS 2 (42%)

One
    Lvl 6 - Silver

Kind of dissapointed not to see Portal 2 on the list, that game was such a step up from the original game. Good choices though.

"Oh, so you think that the darkness is your ally? You merely adopted it, I was born in it."

PRO Member

In a multiverses of different bodies and souls

Quote Originally Posted by One View Post
    Kind of dissapointed not to see Portal 2 on the list, that game was such a step up from the original game. Good choices though.
    Well, I almost put it on my list except for the fact I found the game to be dull and shorter than it should have been. But that's just me.

-i- love myself.

The first two games mentioned were really surprising to me aswell... now I think I might return NFS: The Run for Assassin's Creed: Revelations.

Good games you chose there, fella's! Glad to see Stacking on the list!

Kid, not loser

I would say Shadows of the Damned for me. Bulletstorm was expected to be good because it was made by epic, a lot of people really hyped it up because of that. ACR was hyped up because, well, its assassins creed, and most people new it would have an improved mp. I could only agree with Stacking, it was actually a fun game that was very unique, and at first site would seem like a dumb idea, but was actually great.

Kiwi Defender

Portal 2 wasn's a surprise. I expected it to be awesome, and it was .

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Buy my book, Alteration

I've been eyeing Bulletstorm, now I really have a reason to want it!

Sig by DaRe
    Click the sig and be whisked away to my checklist (now with updates!)! Or click here to visit my YouTube channel!
    Author of Alteration, now available!

Hunter-Scholar-Gentleman

Enslaved would've been great for a game that didn't get much going for it in terms of marketing. But then again this is based on voting which is subjective on each reviewers term of surprising title as they are likely to play the same type of games or have several preferences.

Great stuff, played Bulletstorm and it was a lot of fun.

The Road So Far And The Road Ahead
    `Best Trophy Checklist (2014)
    `Checklist Spotlight #2 Winner (2014)
    `2nd place Trophy Checklist (2013)

Currently Playing
    `Batman: Arkham Knight [95%]
    `AC: Syndicate [6%]
    `Helldivers [26%]

Signature & Avatar

`courtesy of DaRe_xLw

Puns always intended.

One dimension short of being in a 3D game.

Well done to every single person who voted for Bulletstorm, i could not agree more as to the most surprising game of 2011 not to mention for me, one of the games of the year.

Roll on a sequel please!

PRO Member

I can't speak for all of the RT, but that game wasn't on my list because it didn't surprise me really. Thats not to say I didn't love that game (trust me, Portal 2 will be on a few lists coming up), but I had expectations for that game. High ones.

It met them, but thats irrelevant. I had expectations, ergo the game didn't "surprise" me.

Quote Originally Posted by TerminalPhoenix View Post
    Enslaved would've been great for a game that didn't get much going for it in terms of marketing. But then again this is based on voting which is subjective on each reviewers term of surprising title as they are likely to play the same type of games or have several preferences.
    Enslaved was a VERY close 4th place.

If I was making the list personally, it would have been on my list, but this was a team-wide vote.
    Last edited by Gauss; 12-21-2011 at 07:26 AM.

Change is mediocre

Bulletstorm eh? Might need to try that soon. I am surprised to see Assassin's Creed on there to be honest.

PRO Member

As it's been said, Portal 2 wasn't as much of a surprise as everyone knew Valve would pull it off

Quote Originally Posted by dsluckay View Post
    Bulletstorm eh? Might need to try that soon. I am surprised to see Assassin's Creed on there to be honest.
    I'd recommend Bulletstorm to anyone and everyone, fantastic change of pace and not the same old C&P within the same mold shooter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast