Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 Review

This is a discussion on Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 Review within the Game Reviews forum, part of the Trophy Guides, Reviews & Articles; Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 Review By CommandoCurse Basic Information: Developer : Infinity Ward Publisher: Activision Worldwide Release: November ...

PRO Member

By CommandoCurse

Basic Information:
    Developer: Infinity Ward
    Publisher: Activision
    Worldwide Release: November 10th 2009
    Trophies: Yes

The majority of this review is spoiler free, but if you do not want the game to be spoiled for you, DO NOT OPEN THE SPOILER BOXES!

Overview:
    So here it is, the review for possibly THE most anticipated game EVER. The pre-orders were placed, people were set for their mid-night launch purchases and the price went ridiculously low here in the UK. All of this and people everywhere were STILL expecting Modern Warfare 2 to not be as good as expected and for it to not live up to the high price tag. They couldn't be more wrong.

I actually feel privileged to bring you this review, it could be one of the greatest games I've ever played. After a few hours of playing it I could barely find a fault. It felt near-perfect. But after a bit the glamour wore off a little, but it's still an incredibly awesome experience with minimal faults in the full game. And no, this isn't from a bias point of view.

Gameplay:
    The gameplay is just classic Call of Duty. Nothing really to pick at but after playing it for some time you could feel like you were playing any other cod, but that's not a bad thing. All of the guns feel great, and this is truly modern warfare now. Pretty much every gun has a great balance of fire-power, accuracy and not a silly amount of recoil. There are also some great guns with all-out fire power like the automatic shotgun.

The AI is good, but I still prefer the Killzone 2 AI. There aren't really many intelligent runs etc. like on Killzone, but they give you some grief if you don't pay attention to where they are and what you're doing. Some of the new attachments make it feel incredibly modern too. With items such as the thermal scope, you'll never need to spam through a smoke grenade again as you can pick enemies out easily. And with hi-tech heartbeat sensors you can easily stealth your way through the snow without being spotted.

Singleplayer:
    The campaign once again packs a great punch. I found the length quite decent, it isn't long by any means, but it does the job quite well. There are some iconic moments like

Toggle Spoiler

But that's enough ruining the campaign for one day. There are some epic parts to the campaign and some good twists and turns in there. Enough to keep you going for the 6-8 hour length of the campaign mode. You can then come back and try veteran which this year feels quite watered down. I can proudly say I beat World at War and Cod4 on veteran but this feels nothing like it. Gone are the spam grenades which used to surround you and gone are the endless hoards of enemies, as now when you kill them they don't just come back for more 30 seconds later.

When you finally beat all there is on campaign there's the all new spec-ops mode. This consists of 23 different missions each with 3 stars to be gained, totaling 69 stars to be earned playing this. These feel trickier (To me) on veteran than the campaign missions did and mainly consist of killing a certain number of enemies or getting to a point as quick as possible. My personal favorites are the ones set around areas from Cod4, they really take you back!

Multiplayer:
    The multiplayer is where most of the fun is truly at though. It's back to the fun-ness of Call of Duty 4, something I thought was lacking in World at War. The whole thing has managed to change, whilst staying the same in many ways. The maps are quite big this time, but with loads of great spots in them. And after playing online for a bit you learn the popular places to go and shouldn't get too lost.

The challenges are my personal favorites this year, but just because of the rewards you get. Gun camo's are back again, and there are 6 to unlock now! This brings more stuff to do whilst trying to level up and gain prestige. On the topic of prestige, there are a whopping 70 levels this time, and 10 levels of prestige. If you have seen the trailers and noticed that every kill seems to be getting loads of XP, this is because everything has had a 0 added to the end. This makes it feel like you're doing a lot better than you are and despite being such a small addition, adds to the fun again.

Another new feature is call signs and emblems. These are another favorite for me. They are unlocked when you do certain things and are mostly in conjunction with a challenge, and add a level of mystery to what you're unlocking. Basically they show off your awesomeness. Matchmaking had a few problems from the start but Infinity Ward showed their greatness and released 3 updates within the first 4 days. With all problems solved it runs smoothly, and even when something goes wrong you SHOULD stay in your party which is nice. One slight fault in my eyes is the changing of the invite system. It is now performed by the PSN messaging service, instead of in-game. I had never had a fault with the in-game system before and do not think that they should've changed what didn't need fixing.

Technical
    Graphically the game looks brilliant, the textures look great on almost everything and there are barely times when you see something and just think "wow they didn't work hard on this". It's the little things that make it seem great to me, like when you see a blood splatter on snow, the contrast highlights how good it is. The new locations of the game that aren't often in first person shooters look just as good. The underwater scene at the start of one mission looks fab, as well as all of the snow parts, and the snow falling from trees just adds to this incredible game.

To date I've not seen a single frame rate dip, and I've been through some quite hectic battles on veteran and still nothing. The soundtrack is frankly amazing. If you listen to what's playing throughout the campaign you'll see how good it is, as it really suits what's going off without being overly obvious. Some crisp voice acting adds to the great sound work on display. And see if you can recognize the return of a Cod4 main character in place of the new character Ghost.

Gameplay: 9/10 Fantastic
    Singleplayer: 9/10 Fantastic
    Multiplayer: 9/10 Fantastic
    Technical: 10/10 Flawless

Overall: 9.3/10 Fantastic

A truly great game and a definite purchase, and those who don't buy this are really missing out. There are almost no bad points to pick out in the game, and those you may find are nothing important. Not as graphically brilliant as the likes on Uncharted 2, but then again what is? Game of the year? Certainly!

PRO Member

This is my favorite video game of all time. I have platinumed it and I am 3rd prestige online. I love this game!

Death is Awaiting....

Quote Originally Posted by Tris_The_Killer View Post
    This is my favorite video game of all time. I have platinumed it and I am 3rd prestige online. I love this game!
    Just a little late bro..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Sig by Achantion