Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

2011 Review Team Game of the Year Awards: Best Technical Game of 2011

This is a discussion on 2011 Review Team Game of the Year Awards: Best Technical Game of 2011 within the Game Reviews forum, part of the Trophy Guides, Reviews & Articles; Killzone 3 should be there instead of Protal 2...

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Killzone 3 should be there instead of Protal 2

Toggle Spoiler

Sig by Chambers35

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kerwan_Ratchet View Post
    Dude...I'm 16 years old, and I've played through the game twice now and I'm doing Hardcore mode in it too, and I don't think it's scary.

It's one of the best games of the year.
    Dead Space really isn't trying to be scary in a traditional sense, its trying to be suspenseful. I think people confuse these points, from Joe-bob forum-goer all the way to critics like IGN and Yahtzee.

If Dead Space became a movie it wouldn't be classified as a HORROR film by an impartial reviewer, it would be classified a PSYCHOLOGICAL THRILLER. Thats ultimately what the tone of the story and environment are conveying.

Yes, Dead Space involves a version of zombies and yes Dead Space is graphic. No, these things don't make it a horror story because there really aren't scenes that focus on these things. They are an element of the larger picture, they are a tool used within the environment to create an atmosphere of tension, an atmosphere of the unknown.

The story, too, does not evoke tones of horror. It deals with elements of mystery just as much as it deals with elements of survival. Its more about Issac dealing with his psychosis in a tense environment than it is about Issac dealing with surviving the next Necromorph attack.
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.

Gauss's Rating Rationale:
    0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    2-4: A just plain bad game.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.
    7: An average game, should be played at some point
    8: A good game, should buy at some point
    9: A great game, day-one purchase
    10: A game that goes above and beyond the generation, its transcendent.

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gauss View Post
    Dead Space really isn't trying to be scary in a traditional sense, its trying to be suspenseful. I think people confuse these points, from Joe-bob forum-goer all the way to critics like IGN and Yahtzee.

If Dead Space became a movie it wouldn't be classified as a HORROR film by an impartial reviewer, it would be classified a PSYCHOLOGICAL THRILLER. Thats ultimately what the tone of the story and environment are conveying.

Yes, Dead Space involves a version of zombies and yes Dead Space is graphic. No, these things don't make it a horror story because there really aren't scenes that focus on these things. They are an element of the larger picture, they are a tool used within the environment to create an atmosphere of tension, an atmosphere of the unknown.

The story, too, does not evoke tones of horror. It deals with elements of mystery just as much as it deals with elements of survival. Its more about Issac dealing with his psychosis in a tense environment than it is about Issac dealing with surviving the next Necromorph attack.
    I agree, but there are definite moments placed in there to scare the player. I did jump more than once, and sometimes it was for no good reason... lol.

I actually would have put Dead Space 2 ahead of Uncharted 3. While U3 is a great game, and graphically edges DS2, I think the story and voice acting are underrated (thankfully they didn't make Isaac a mute this time), the sound effects and music are the best I've heard this year, and the action set pieces are original and thrilling. Though a lot of people don't like the idea, I think that Hardcore mode was actually a stroke of brilliance on Visceral's part. It adds a completely new level of tension because players become so wary of what may pop out of that next air vent.

Even if you think you may be scared (I was), even if you don't typically like horror (I don't), and even if you think you're not good enough to get the platinum (I thought I wasn't), do not miss this game. It is a huge improvement over Dead Space, and it was easily my favorite game of 2011. Oh, and I didn't even bother with the MP on this game because the single player experience alone is worth the price of admission.

-i- love myself.

Glad to see Dead Space 2 up there, it was a really great game!

Player Hater

No Skyrim?

PRO Member

In a multiverses of different bodies and souls

Quote Originally Posted by DJ_Keyser View Post
    No Skyrim?
    Careful there, you might give a few people a fit.

Lvl 6 - Silver

Good to see DEAD SPACE 2 on here - it was one of the absolute best games of the year ............period!

"Stay Positive & Love Your Life"
    - 311 -

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Killzone 3, BF3 & MW3 also pushed the technical side of things

MW3 sacrifices resolution for a steady 60fps but is still packed with detail

Lvl 1 - Bronze

dark souls should of won, UC3 a close 2nd

Legendary...Nuff Said

Quote Originally Posted by moosoo19 View Post
    dark souls should of won, UC3 a close 2nd
    I love Dark Souls, but it's one of the least polished games of the year. Sure, the graphics, sound design, atmosphere, and more are all phenomenal, but it's not like FromSoft hasn't released four patches already to fix up the plethora of glitches, bugs, and more there are... Although the frame rate issues in places such as Blighttown haven't been fixed, and it's frankly annoying.

Not worthy of the award in this category, I'm afraid. At least not to me. It's possible you haven't encountered any glitches in your copy of the game.

deviantART | Gifts | SOTM XXXVI
    Circumstances may change, but circumcisions are forever.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12