Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2011 Review Team Game of the Year Awards: Best Multiplayer Game of 2011

This is a discussion on 2011 Review Team Game of the Year Awards: Best Multiplayer Game of 2011 within the Game Reviews forum, part of the Trophy Guides, Reviews & Articles; As 2011 comes to a close the Review Team took a look back at all the great games of 2011 ...

PRO Member

2011 Review Team Game of the Year Awards: Best Multiplayer Game of 2011

As 2011 comes to a close the Review Team took a look back at all the great games of 2011 and decided to bring PS3Trophies.com our selection for:

Best Multiplayer Game of 2011

We define a game's multiplayer experience as the overall game that can be experienced with more than one player, local or online. Each member of the RT voted on a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place game and the results below were based on the results of each members' votes. Eligible titles were released between 12/1/2010 and 12/1/2011.

Come back tomorrow as we will award Best Singleplayer Game of 2011.

1st Place:

Portal 2

Quote Originally Posted by JackAttack
    Portal 2 packs with it a fantastic cooperative campaign to play with a friend once you've completed the stellar singleplayer campaign, and boy is it a load of fun! With a good 5 hours of content, it'll be sure to make your scratch your brains with it's mind-bending puzzles. Thankfully, two heads are better than one, and you're going to have to work as a team with your partner if you want to progress. Add in the fact that you can play the multiplayer on your PS3, while your partner is on Steam on the PC, and Portal 2's cooperative mode might just be evolutionary to the world of gaming.

2nd Place:

LittleBigPlanet 2

Quote Originally Posted by Kerwan_Ratchet
    With an eternal amount of plush planets to explore and enjoy LBP2 is one of those games that keeps on giving. Unmatched in its content and quality you can continuously savour each treat that LBP2 has in store for you at your own leisure.

3rd Place:

Battlefield 3

Quote Originally Posted by Curse
    They've made fantastic improvements on the platform left behind by the previous entries. On a whole new engine the game feels so refreshing and it's a change of pace from the adrenaline fueled 12 year old populated shooters out there. A lot of variation in vehicles, weapons and customization stop this from getting stale.
    Last edited by Curse; 12-22-2011 at 10:37 AM.
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.

Gauss's Rating Rationale:
    0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    2-4: A just plain bad game.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.
    7: An average game, should be played at some point
    8: A good game, should buy at some point
    9: A great game, day-one purchase
    10: A game that goes above and beyond the generation, its transcendent.

Resident PHD

Nice to see LBP2 on there. Such an amazing game it is a shame that some gamers refuse to play it because it is too "cute".

AWESOME SIG AND AVY BY ALISON CHECK OUT HER WORK HERE

Nope, nothing

No surprise Portal 2 won to be honest, it has a brilliant multiplayer which I really enjoyed, even the girlfriend liked it

Retired TGT Member

Portal 2 at the top, just as it should be. What kept Assassin's Creed: Revelations out of the top three?

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by dr_mayus View Post
    Nice to see LBP2 on there. Such an amazing game it is a shame that some gamers refuse to play it because it is too "cute".
    Couldn't agree with you more on that one. I didn't care if people thought they were too "cute" or whatever, they were both super fun and they have infinite amount of replay value!

Portal 2 co-op was also super fun, and the fact that I was able to play with RL friend on Steam(doesn't have a PS3) made it even better! And the challenge dlc is awesome because it seriously make you think with portals!

|
    Sig - Initial D - Mazda RX-7 (FC3S)|
    |by Smashguy |

|Avy - Animals As Leaders|

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by antoniosbandana View Post
    Portal 2 at the top, just as it should be. What kept Assassin's Creed: Revelations out of the top three?
    Because nobody voted for it?

Not sure why, but it wasn't on anybody in the RT's list.

Alot of games in this category got votes (Crysis 2, Uncharted 3, Modern Warfare 3, FIFA 12), but these 3 games here were the only ones that were in the convo.
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.

0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.

Retired TGT Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gauss View Post
    Because nobody voted for it?

Not sure why, but it wasn't on anybody in the RT's list.

Alot of games in this category got votes (Crysis 2, Uncharted 3, Modern Warfare 3, FIFA 12), but these 3 games here were the only ones that were in the convo.
    Haha fair enough, I was just curious.

PRO Member

I loved Portal 2's co-op. Portal 2 is probably my overall GOTY.

Sig by Bladia

PRO Member

In a multiverses of different bodies and souls

To be honest I didn't think that Portal 2's co-op was that could, but each to their own.

Buy my book, Alteration

LBP2's so amazing, glad to see it grab a spot. Portal 2 co-op was

Sig by DaRe
    Click the sig and be whisked away to my checklist (now with updates!)! Or click here to visit my YouTube channel!
    Author of Alteration, now available!

Administrator

Good to see BF3 make the list, I can see Portal 2 is a good experience I will need to check out!

PRO Member

Its really good MP-wise, all of the games up here are.

I actually can't wait for the PS3 to be updated with some of the additional content Valve promised.

KCCO!

Portal 2, I agree with. LBP2, perhaps, but I'm not a fan of the LBP series. Those who have played it seem to love it, though. BF3? I'll have no comment on that.

Lvl 6 - Silver

As much as I'm relieved to see that COD : MW3 did't make this list, I'm also very surprised. All the reviews I've read on it and Battlefield 3 have been extremely consistent - that MW3 has a better online experience than BF3. So, I'm a little surprised to see BF3 beat out MW3 on this list. Only place I've seen that happen lately.......

"Stay Positive & Love Your Life"
    - 311 -

Breakfast and Chill

I'm proud to say I own all 3 of these games.

Portal 2 really was a fun challenge during co-op, and when I thought it would be too difficult to cooperate without mics, Valve implemented the simplest form of communication that works directly from the controller.

LBP2: where to begin... If you were to play 100 community levels per day, how long would it take to play them all? There is no definite answer. And while most are subpar (my levels), there are multiple gems that leave you wondering if the creators work for MM.

I am not very good at BF3 yet, but it is the most fun I've had in a Multiplayer mode since CoD4(the good one) I'm sure that when I finally memorize vehicle spawns and communicate better with squadmembers, that I will have a hard time putting the controller down.

TL;DR: All 3 games are great choices for this list.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Somewhat surprised Dark Souls didn't make this list since it has such a unique multiplayer. Same with ACR.

Legendary...Nuff Said

Quote Originally Posted by travey_2face View Post
    Somewhat surprised Dark Souls didn't make this list since it has such a unique multiplayer. Same with ACR.
    Dark Souls does have a unique multiplayer, but it's no more unique than its predecessor's, which is ultimately better thanks to the fact that it's more balanced. While I think DkS's online PvP and PvE are immensely fun, it's silly how a much more skilled player loses to one who is not nearly as good, simply because the player spams cheap spells. While yes, the MP itself isn't to blame for unfair players, it should still be noted that it just isn't as balanced, which leads to a less enjoyable experience. Some patches have somewhat fixed this, but still...

It's a bit sad, but I still have a blast with it, and it's really the best reason for why I'm still addicted to playing the game. I think I've gone back in to play DkS about 5 different times now just to replay the game in order to level up and build a character a certain way, just to test it in duels.

Ultimately, Dark Souls is still one of the better multiplayer experiences of the year, and while not as good as it is in Demon's Souls, it's still a helluva lot of fun. Is it worthy of GotY? Well, I dunno. I didn't play LBP2 or BF3, but I can say for certain that I didn't have a better online experience all year than what I had with Portal 2.

deviantART | Gifts | SOTM XXXVI
    Circumstances may change, but circumcisions are forever.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by JackAttack View Post

It's a bit sad, but I still have a blast with it, and it's really the best reason for why I'm still addicted to playing the game. I think I've gone back in to play DkS about 5 different times now just to replay the game in order to level up and build a character a certain way, just to test it in duels.
    I think this right here should speak volumes though, as the sheer amount of time you must have put into DkS justifies that it's something that pulled you in...Did you spend more time in Dark Souls, or Portal 2?

Legendary...Nuff Said

Quote Originally Posted by travey_2face View Post
    I think this right here should speak volumes though, as the sheer amount of time you must have put into DkS justifies that it's something that pulled you in...Did you spend more time in Dark Souls, or Portal 2?
    Well Dark Souls surely, but that doesn't mean that the multiplayer is better. I played Portal 2's co-op 4 times over and had a blast with it too.

Still, it's not to say that I didn't vote for Dark Souls in this category, it's just that no one else on the team did. It's a great multiplayer, but it still isn't without it's flaws. In my mind, Portal 2's MP is flawless, despite it being less of a time-suck.

deviantART | Gifts | SOTM XXXVI
    Circumstances may change, but circumcisions are forever.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by JackAttack View Post
    Well Dark Souls surely, but that doesn't mean that the multiplayer is better. I played Portal 2's co-op 4 times over and had a blast with it too.

Still, it's not to say that I didn't vote for Dark Souls in this category, it's just that no one else on the team did. It's a great multiplayer, but it still isn't without it's flaws. In my mind, Portal 2's MP is flawless, despite it being less of a time-suck.
    That's a good enough answer for me. I was just trying to understand, and if no one else on the team (one possible reason they didn't include it on the list) played it, it makes more sense.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast