Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 45

2011 Review Team Game of the Year Awards: Overall Game of the Year 2011

This is a discussion on 2011 Review Team Game of the Year Awards: Overall Game of the Year 2011 within the Game Reviews forum, part of the Trophy Guides, Reviews & Articles; ME2 made one of these things, finally. Also HOLY SHIT I need to get Deus Ex soon....

  1. #21
    Retired TGT Member
    antoniosbandana's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    New Crackpack series :D
    Posts
    3,149
    Reputation
    119

    ME2 made one of these things, finally. Also HOLY SHIT I need to get Deus Ex soon.


  2. #22
    Lvl 3 - Bronze
    nuta1's Avatar


    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    england
    Posts
    195
    Reputation
    3

    portal 2 is the 2nd best game of 2011. were these results out of a christmas cracker!
    i rented the game on the high ratings it was getting but shooting portals around rooms to solve puzzle is stupid if people find this fun they need to get a life

  3. #23
    Retired TGT Member
    antoniosbandana's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    New Crackpack series :D
    Posts
    3,149
    Reputation
    119

    Quote Originally Posted by nuta1 View Post
    portal 2 is the 2nd best game of 2011. were these results out of a christmas cracker!
    i rented the game on the high ratings it was getting but shooting portals around rooms to solve puzzle is stupid if people find this fun they need to get a life
    LOL well you're entitled to your opinion, but you're wildly in the minority here. Just sayin' good luck defending the fast-approaching tidal wave of "oh no he didn't" that's about to come your way


  4. #24
    Legendary...Nuff Said
    JackAttack's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    1,040
    Reputation
    103

    Quote Originally Posted by Kerwan_Ratchet View Post
    I wasn't a fan of the comic books and I enjoyed Batman throughly. I didn't feel that there were too many villians, and if anything I wish there were more. The point was that the objective was cluttered; you could be side-tracked and investigate other missions and such.

    I agree that the story in DS2 was average, but you don't play a game such as that for the story; you play it for the gore, thrills and gameplay, which I did. I didn't even play attention to the story, I was figuring out which weapons could rip the necromorphs apart the fatest. The overrall confusion, thrills and carnage is what captured my attention.

    I couldn't disagree more. I felt that Portal 2's story was half-baked and forgettable. The whole point of the game was puzzle solving, not fighting against an emotionally confused robot. Batman's story kept you on your toes and you had no idea who would turn up next or what twists would come along. Half the point of the game is unlocking the secrets of the city and those who dwell inside of it. Not bashing egomaniac thugs up and saving the day.
    Portal 2 was fun at first but dragged on and got reptitive to the point that I don't want to have anything to do with it. Besides the online there's no replay value whatsoever and I felt I wasted my money.

    Then again this is just my opinion. I'm not saying you have to agree (which you won't) nor am I saying it's completely false. I'm just stating my thoughts and giving my opinion, which is the whole point of this forum.
    You're contradicting yourself with these statements. You say you play Dead Space 2 just for the gore, action, and thrill of the experience, but you play Batman solely for the story? Ultimately, that just doesn't really make sense to me. The biggest draw for Dead Space 2 isn't the gameplay, it's Isaac's internal struggle, and it's the world of scares he's thrust into. Batman's biggest draw, however, is that it makes you feel as if you're Batman. Being an 'Invisible Predator' is immensely satisfying, as if kicking butt and racking up insane combos against different enemies.

    However, it really depends on what you have a personal taste in. For me personally, I cannot throughly enjoy a video game unless it has a story that draws me in. Others prefer gameplay, but that's just me.

    Also, I must add that Portal 2 is not all about puzzle-solving. If you're looking at a game just as, "This game is solely trying to do this," then you can't fully judge a game fairly. Every game has a story for a reason. If Portal 2 was only about puzzle-solving, there wouldn't be any characters or any story to it. It'd just be gameplay. Portal 2 is equally about puzzle-solving as it is befriending a POTaTO. The same can be said for other games, but it's obvious that with a game such as an FPS like CoD, story isn't focused on, but rather multiplayer and gameplay is. However, looking at games such as DS2, Portal 2, and Batman, they're all focused on both gameplay and story. Looking at a game in a completely one-sided way is what leaves you with unsatisfied feelings about a game.

    Ultimately, the reason I found that Human Revolution was the best game this year was because it focused equally on story telling as it does on gameplay, and both areas are done to perfection. That's why it's deserving of the GotY award more so than any other game this year. DS2's gameplay was better than its story, as was Batman's. The reason why Portal 2 is a close 2nd choice is that its story is just as good as its gameplay. It just isn't on the same level as HR's.

    deviantART | Gifts | SOTM XXXVI
    Circumstances may change, but circumcisions are forever.

  5. #25
    PRO Member
    Kerwan_Ratchet's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    In a multiverses of different bodies and souls
    Posts
    1,901
    Reputation
    74

    Quote Originally Posted by JackAttack View Post
    You're contradicting yourself with these statements. You say you play Dead Space 2 just for the gore, action, and thrill of the experience, but you play Batman solely for the story? Ultimately, that just doesn't really make sense to me. The biggest draw for Dead Space 2 isn't the gameplay, it's Isaac's internal struggle, and it's the world of scares he's thrust into. Batman's biggest draw, however, is that it makes you feel as if you're Batman. Being an 'Invisible Predator' is immensely satisfying, as if kicking butt and racking up insane combos against different enemies.

    However, it really depends on what you have a personal taste in. For me personally, I cannot throughly enjoy a video game unless it has a story that draws me in. Others prefer gameplay, but that's just me.

    Also, I must add that Portal 2 is not all about puzzle-solving. If you're looking at a game just as, "This game is solely trying to do this," then you can't fully judge a game fairly. Every game has a story for a reason. If Portal 2 was only about puzzle-solving, there wouldn't be any characters or any story to it. It'd just be gameplay. Portal 2 is equally about puzzle-solving as it is befriending a POTaTO. The same can be said for other games, but it's obvious that with a game such as an FPS like CoD, story isn't focused on, but rather multiplayer and gameplay is. However, looking at games such as DS2, Portal 2, and Batman, they're all focused on both gameplay and story. Looking at a game in a completely one-sided way is what leaves you with unsatisfied feelings about a game.

    Ultimately, the reason I found that Human Revolution was the best game this year was because it focused equally on story telling as it does on gameplay, and both areas are done to perfection. That's why it's deserving of the GotY award more so than any other game this year. DS2's gameplay was better than its story, as was Batman's. The reason why Portal 2 is a close 2nd choice is that its story is just as good as its gameplay. It just isn't on the same level as HR's.
    I see what you mean; but I play different games for different reasons. There's no way I'd play Vanquish for the story but in Heavy Rain that's the whole point. My gaming style is inconsistent and I'm happy for it to be.




  6. #26
    PRO Member
    Gauss's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,243
    Reputation
    98

    Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post
    Portal 2's story is very well written, full of memorable moments and dialogues.
    See this is the fulcrum of why I just can't agree with people saying Portal 2's story is bad. Nag hit the nail on the head.

    I understand people saying they didn't find it funny (humor is subjective), or maybe they didn't understand what was going on because alot of the backstory is just not explained (even if you want to take PS360's psychotic metaphor-city viewpoint, there are just giant gaps in the backstory).

    The thing is though nothing about Portal 2's story is bad. Portal 2, at its core, is a black comedy. Good black comedy should be entirely driven by conversation and characters (plot should be ancillary and non-complex), and should revolve around somewhat tragic elements being presented in a reserved, but comedic tone.

    Thats what Portal 2 nails. Its well written, dialogue between characters feels natural and flows well. Even with the silent protagonist you get a sense of Chell's greater purpose and goals simply because the dialogue is written so well around her. GLaDOS and Wheatley are so deep, and the line delivery so perfect, both in tone and timing. Everything about the story is executed perfectly, and the insurmountable nature of the testing and the stakes that Chell is dealing with (her freedom) would traditionally call for a more gritty tone, but the whole thing is presented with this reserved, tongue-in-cheek-ness that when coupled with the brilliant delivery of the dialogue... Well personally I couldn't keep a smile off my face.

    I understand if people don't find the jokes funny, but this is a perfect example of how comedy should be written (well, black comedy atleast). Its got the perfect balance of wit, sarcasm, and "lower brow" humor. Thats what I want in a game like Portal 2.

    It doesn't need to be overly complex or contain lots of plot twists and complicated emotional situations... Just give me a few well-developed characters, some well written dialogue, and wrap it up in a simple, serious story told with a comedic under-tone. I don't want Indiana Jones in my black-comedy, I don't want Blade Runner either.

    Think about something like Reservoir Dogs. Overall story: Real simple (particularly since you know the rat in the first act). Plot twists: Nonexistent. Themes of the story: Nothing really, its your pretty standard crime-caper. What makes that movie good? The tone of the movie conflicts with the subject material and the dialogue in the flashbacks is so spot-on. Here these assholes are, they just robbed a bank, killed a few civilians, kidnapped a cop, and all of them are about to die. The movie is surprisingly funny though, its light-hearted and the dialogue has this strange punch to it, like you can empathize with these guys about to rob the bank. Thats the kind of convo you would have with your friends the night after bar-hopping.

    Even as horrific things are happening to them, they seem almost unphased by it in their overall personality. Mr. White has a gun in Mr. Blonde's face and is threatening to kill him, but they are still breaking the scene up with racists jokes and witty humor about being an undercover cop.

    THATS Black Comedy. THATS what Portal 2 nails.
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.


    Gauss's Rating Rationale:
    0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    2-4: A just plain bad game.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.
    7: An average game, should be played at some point
    8: A good game, should buy at some point
    9: A great game, day-one purchase
    10: A game that goes above and beyond the generation, its transcendent.

  7. #27
    Kiwi Defender
    Nagflar's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Vice City
    Posts
    6,570
    Reputation
    386

    Quote Originally Posted by Kerwan_Ratchet View Post
    I couldn't disagree more. I felt that Portal 2's story was half-baked and forgettable. The whole point of the game was puzzle solving, not fighting against an emotionally confused robot. Batman's story kept you on your toes and you had no idea who would turn up next or what twists would come along. Half the point of the game is unlocking the secrets of the city and those who dwell inside of it. Not bashing egomaniac thugs up and saving the day.
    Portal 2 was fun at first but dragged on and got reptitive to the point that I don't want to have anything to do with it. Besides the online there's no replay value whatsoever and I felt I wasted my money.

    Then again this is just my opinion. I'm not saying you have to agree (which you won't) nor am I saying it's completely false. I'm just stating my thoughts and giving my opinion, which is the whole point of this forum.
    I take it you never played Portal 1, so I'll avoid bashing your intelligence this time.

    You knew who would turn up next because the media went through the hazzle of telling you every villian who'd show up and finding out whose hideout it was was as easy as figuring out that Batman is representes by a bat, not to mention that those kind of games have little-to-no suspense behind them and both the conclusion of every boss fight and the game itself were rather obvious (including

    Toggle Spoiler

    ).

    If you argue that Portal 2 was repetitive, then the same can be said about Batman. The game is always the same. Get surrounded out of nowhere by some thugs, beat the crap out of them. Find some thughs inside a building, get rid of them a la Solid Snake without their moronic cohorts noticing you. Find a closed door, use some gadget to unlock it. The only non-generic and repetitive parts are the few unique boss fights the game offers, which are not enough to claim that the gameplay doesn't get repetitive.

    Of course it's your opinion, and of course than you can believe what you want, and of course this is a forum and that's what it is for, hence why I'm bashing your opinion as much as you are bashing mine while we both try to argue was to why we are right. It's obvious, so I don't get why you even mention it.
    Last edited by Nagflar; 12-25-2011 at 01:10 AM. Reason: Added spoiler box to avoid ruining the game to more people.

    Toggle Spoiler



    Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

  8. #28
    Indie Game Developer
    Jakintosh's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    474
    Reputation
    23

    Where is inFamous 2 on any of these lists?

    That is all.
    Hey. Hey. Look. Look at me. I'm playing video games.

  9. #29
    Legendary...Nuff Said
    JackAttack's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    1,040
    Reputation
    103

    Quote Originally Posted by Jakintosh View Post
    Where is inFamous 2 on any of these lists?

    That is all.
    For me personally, inFamous 2 was largely underwhelming and not worthy of a GotY nominee. While I do think the gameplay was rather fun, I found that the story was really just not good at all, especially when you compare it to its predecessor's. It wasn't really as impactful, and most of the story felt very filler, with a large threat looming in the distance, but it's taken off your mind by a rather wimpy antagonist who isn't a fleshed out character.

    I also felt that the choices that you make in inFamous 2 feel rather meaningless. When you look at a game like Deus Ex, a game all about choice, you see that the choices you make still have an impact on the story, but they actually feel like your choices. In inFamous 2, you feel forced into making a good choice or an evil choice depending on how you've been playing so far. There is no neutrality, and in reality there isn't any real choice either.

    So what does this mean? Well it's definitely not winning the singleplayer GotY award, and it also can't win the multiplayer or most surprising awards either, by default. That leaves only the technical award, in which it's outmatched by many other games such as UC3, DS2, KZ3, among others.

    Ultimately, I think I can speak on behalf of most of the RT when I say that we didn't feel it was worthy of GotY status. I don't believe it got a single vote in any categories.

    deviantART | Gifts | SOTM XXXVI
    Circumstances may change, but circumcisions are forever.

  10. #30
    PRO Member
    Kerwan_Ratchet's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    In a multiverses of different bodies and souls
    Posts
    1,901
    Reputation
    74

    Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post
    I take it you never played Portal 1, so I'll avoid bashing your intelligence this time.

    You knew who would turn up next because the media went through the hazzle of telling you every villian who'd show up and finding out whose hideout it was was as easy as figuring out that Batman is representes by a bat, not to mention that those kind of games have little-to-no suspense behind them and both the conclusion of every boss fight and the game itself were rather obvious (including

    Toggle Spoiler

    ).
    I have played the first Portal. I'm sorry to disappoint you though.
    I didn't find AC to be repititive in any form whatsoever, and your claim that the end was excpected is absurd.

    I honestly don't know why I bother if you're going to challenge everything I say.




  11. #31
    Lvl 1 - Bronze


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    4
    Reputation
    0

    I can't say anything about Batman and Skyrim cause i didn't play neither.

    I'm actually playing Deus EX, and the 1st OK, but i'm a really fun of uncharted series (yes the uncharted 2 is the best, the big jump, uncharted 3 is just a great game, maybe a 10/10 game, a perfect one, but didn't have the gamour of uncharted 2, don't have the UAAAAW felling cause everyone was waitng for a great game).

    Mass effect 2, what i can say?? is a 2010 game, ask everyone with a XBox. Dead Space 2 is in the line of the original, so is fantastic. As some one said... What the hell is Infamous 2???

    Finnaly PORTAL 2. Of course it deserves the 2nd, and maybe the 1st, and the reason is just one. INNOVATION.

  12. #32
    One
    One is offline
    Lvl 6 - Silver
    One's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Toronto.
    Posts
    435
    Reputation
    46

    Disagree totally with the decisions, especially on Mass Effect 2, but everyone has their own cup of tea. Deus Ex was an excellent game, but once I finished, it didn't leave me craving for more. While the main game is long in its entirety, it definitely could have had a lot more when it comes to side missions, locations etc, not to mention a better ending. Games like Dead Space 2, Batman and Uncharted on the other hand had me coming back for multiple playthroughs because those are the kinds of games that stick out most for me.

    In my opinion nothing can replace the cinematic moments those games provided for me, but maybe that's just because I'm more of a linear kind of guy. Someone has to give a shout out to LA Noire as well, it was a great experience overall and while it did maybe lack in some parts, it made up in creativity and went where some games wouldn't.

    Overall great picks from the RT, I guess the one game I would say didn't deserve a spot would be ME2, as mentioned above. It was a brilliant game, but I've seen it release once already on the Xbox so what came with the game was no surprise to me.

    "Oh, so you think that the darkness is your ally? You merely adopted it, I was born in it."

  13. #33
    Lvl 6 - Silver
    DETfaninATL's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Atlanta, GA, USA
    Posts
    504
    Reputation
    36

    Very disappointed to see neither DEAD SPACE 2 or especially BATMAN : Arkham City made the top 3. I see it was damn close, but still...... then again I haven't played any of the games on this list so, what do I really know? LOL!

    "Stay Positive & Love Your Life"
    - 311 -

  14. #34
    Lvl 4 - Silver
    jooakim's Avatar


    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    244
    Reputation
    4

    Hm, thinking of buying skyrim..

    And, the only thing i like about portal 2 is the co-op. Plating it with a friend is so much fun

    Quote Originally Posted by A random guy on youtube
    If you want to marry a Korean woman, you will have to beat their father in StarCraft first \(-.-\)

  15. #35
    Kiwi Defender
    Nagflar's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Vice City
    Posts
    6,570
    Reputation
    386

    Quote Originally Posted by Kerwan_Ratchet View Post
    I have played the first Portal. I'm sorry to disappoint you though.
    I didn't find AC to be repititive in any form whatsoever, and your claim that the end was excpected is absurd.

    I honestly don't know why I bother if you're going to challenge everything I say.
    Well, that just further makes your statements much more surprising and makes me facepalm at your opinion even more.

    I guess you were having too much fun being Batman to realize it, and it was predictable, even more with the limited series comic's first issue. The only question I had towards the end was how it'd happen.

    And you expect me to know the answer?

    Toggle Spoiler



    Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

  16. #36
    Player Hater
    DJ_Keyser's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Oztraylia
    Posts
    534
    Reputation
    38

    Do you know what I find funny? This is basically a poll on what the Review Team found to be the Game Of The Year and members of the Review Team are arguing the integrity of said poll. I love it!
    All being said, there's always going to be disagreements on topics such as these. I think all games mentioned were brilliant, and rather than argue over the order of the perceived magnificence, I'm going to thank my lucky stars that we were blessed with such an outstanding roster of captivating games this year. Kudos to the industry.

  17. #37
    PRO Member
    Gauss's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,243
    Reputation
    98

    Quote Originally Posted by DJ_Keyser View Post
    Do you know what I find funny? This is basically a poll on what the Review Team found to be the Game Of The Year and members of the Review Team are arguing the integrity of said poll. I love it!
    Well, outside of Deus Ex, this was a very hotly contested award. Everybody's list was pretty different.
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.


    Gauss's Rating Rationale:
    0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    2-4: A just plain bad game.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.
    7: An average game, should be played at some point
    8: A good game, should buy at some point
    9: A great game, day-one purchase
    10: A game that goes above and beyond the generation, its transcendent.

  18. #38
    PRO Member
    Kerwan_Ratchet's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    In a multiverses of different bodies and souls
    Posts
    1,901
    Reputation
    74

    Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post
    Well, that just further makes your statements much more surprising and makes me facepalm at your opinion even more.

    I guess you were having too much fun being Batman to realize it, and it was predictable.
    No, I wasn't actually. I did consider what the ending would be for a large part of the game I was surprisied at the ending either way.




  19. #39
    Puns always intended.
    Larrydavidsavatar's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    One dimension short of being in a 3D game.
    Posts
    2,432
    Reputation
    161

    Hmm i didn't play Deus Ex, it's not my thing to be fair, Portal 2, the story kept me going from puzzle to puzzle but Valve have yet to top Half-Life 2 in any way, shape or form, great gamethough, still struggles to be top 5 for me and that shows just how good a year it's been and the quality of Valves work.

    Still mulling over what order to put my faves for 2011 in as i keep finding stuff to like about each title, hardest year ever.

    I see a lot made of how cerebral the top games are on this list, sure it's nice to be challenged on a higher level of intellect but c'mon, Bulletstorm and Saint's Row The Third were dumber than a bag of Ralph Wiggums and they were as fun as Portal 2, if not more so.

  20. #40
    Lvl 1 - Bronze
    travey_2face's Avatar


    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    24
    Reputation
    0

    I'm surprised Dark Souls made not a single list...Did it make it on anyone's list period? It would definitely be on my list as either my number 1 or number 2 game. DkS got much more pub than Demon's Souls, so it just surprised me it was overlooked totally.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:41 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.1.10
Copyright © 2018 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO