Gran Turismo 5 Review

This is a discussion on Gran Turismo 5 Review within the Game Reviews forum, part of the Trophy Guides, Reviews & Articles; Gran Turismo 5: Official Review by Gauss Basic Information: Developer: Polyphony Digital Publisher: Sony Computer Entertainment North American Release Date: ...

PRO Member

Gran Turismo 5 Review

Gran Turismo 5: Official Review
    by Gauss

Basic Information:
    Developer: Polyphony Digital
    Publisher: Sony Computer Entertainment
    North American Release Date: 11/24/2010
    European Release Date: 11/24/2010
    Trophies: 1 1 4 53

Overview
    Gran Turismo 5 was a long time in the making and it finally arrived in 2010. Polyphony Digital has brought the 5th iteration of their famous driving simulator to the Playstation 3 with more cars, more tracks, and more content than any other game in the series.

Gameplay
    Any long-time Sony fan knows what Gran Turismo is: A driving simulator like none other in the gaming industry. GT5 stays true to this motto in every way. The driving physics and the caliber of the simulation of the internal workings of an automotive machine are without equal.

Flat out a great driving game

Going along with this high level of realism in the physics department is the capability to tune and upgrade your cars, while there is on small misstep in that the upgrading is not as deep as other GTs, it still runs laps around the competition. You are capable of doing everything from tuning the spring in your suspension, your gear ratios, and the downforce your car exerts. Its just awe-inspiring how much difference this can make too, alot of work was put in this area and it shows.

B-Spec also makes a return in GT5, which focuses more on your ability to tune and control an automated racer. This mode brings about a new style and strategy to the game because you have to juggle many different factors that you typically don't deal with just driving. Things like your driver's fatigue and aggression play huge roles.

Singleplayer

If there is one thing GT5 does well, its the single-player. There is just so much content here, and its effectively doubled over due to the inclusion of both A-Spec and B-Spec. Much like other GT5s, the focus is on you starting out at the bottom and working your way into the elite racing circles. This is done through obtaining licenses through license tests and using reward money to buy better cars and upgrade them. Its a formula that works very well for the gear-heads and just game-fans alike.

There are several levels of challenges in each circuit, much like every other GT, and they are all independent from one another allowing you to tackle them as you feel comfortable. Thanks to tuning and upgrading, this will come quickly too. Once you buy a car and get it in a sweet spot, you will become attached and not want to let it go. Whats better is the game is designed to allow this, as you can effectively beat the entire game with a garage of around 10 cars.

B-Spec makes a return with upgrades

One of the new elements add are sponsored challenges. Groups like NASCAR and Top Gear have added special events that bring a new flavor to the series, unfortunately this also highlights the one downfall in the single player area: veterans of the GT series will find alot of familiarity here because there is. There aren't alot of new tracks and events here, and the new content is far out-weighed by the content that is essentially a PS3-port of GT4. It is just very obvious most of the 5 years of development was spent on the engine and the cars, and that is somewhat disappointing.

Multiplayer

Gran Turismo 5 has some unique Multiplayer additions, but at the end of the day nothing truly unique. Things like remote racing are very cool, allowing you to exploit the nature of B-Spec anywhere. Outside of that GT5's MP is effectively just racing with your buds in the same style as the SP provides. GT5 allows up to 16 players in a single race, which is a new feature.

Problem is the MP isn't streamlined, its alot of work just to get a race going. The clunky menus and load times are felt much worse here.

At the end of the day there isn't much to say here, the MP works and is basically the SP with friends.

Technical

Damage is added for the first time in the series

GT5 isn't quite the technical marvel it was hyped to be, but it most certainly is a beautiful game. At just a passive glace so much detail is in these cars, particularly the cock-pits, that it is impossible to fault the time and effort spent by PD on these cars. Multiple other graphical improvements have found their way in, the tracks and weather effects are all a step up from what they were. It is a dreamland for the standard gear-head or car enthusiast.

Damage also makes its first appearance, and with great form, while not all cars have the same level of damage capability, the amount of damage and the level of detail associated with it is just awe-inspiring. Particularly because PD has made an effort to make this damage effect the drive-ability of the car, so there is a delicate balance and a clear punishment to driving a car too hard.

That being said there are some major flaws worth noting here: The menus are just horrible, they are clunky and take too long to navigate to simple tasks. This is compounded by the longer load times as well, which act as a icing on the crap cake. The interface is just not efficient in any way, everything takes longer than it should.

Trophies
    Gran Turismo 5's plat is no small task. Several trophies, such as Gold Standard, will be a exercise in frustration for the typical gamer. There are a couple grind trophies as well, for example reaching level 40 in A-Spec. As such I don't recommend GT5 for the quick plat, but make no mistake, GT5's plat is fun and is a rewarding accomplishment to a plat-hunter.

Closing Thoughts
    Gran Turismo 5 is a good game and a worthy addition to the Gran Turismo series, but there really is not alot of innovation here. This game is designed for players who are already into Gran Turismo and is little more than GT4 with a new face. There are some cool new additions, such as the Top Gear Challenges, but nothing here is designed to bring anything ground breaking to the table.

Gameplay: 9/10
    - As a driving game, Gran Turismo 5 is still unmatched in the gaming industry.

Singleplayer: 8/10
    - Lots of content to keep the player busy, but none of it strays into really unique territory.

Multiplayer: 7/10
    - Multiplayer is really standard. Its not great, but not bad either. Remote racing is a very cool feature too.

Technical: 8/10
    - Gran Turismo 5 is a very pretty game, many of the backdrops and cars look absolutely immaculate. Problem is there are many missteps, too many loading screens and a very clunky menu system really hinder the experience.

Overall: 8/10 Good

PRO Member

Good review, but I have to disagree with you on this one. Normally your reviews are dead on, but this one should have gotten at least a 9/10! Gameplay is not matched by any other game. Singleplayer is another 9/10 due to the fact that I can race on anybody in the world. The innovation factor should be alot just because of the gameplay itself and how much the physics have changed since GT4. Plus adding the fact of being able to drive against anybody in the world.

I guess I am just a GT head at heart. I give it a 10/10, but that is just me Good review and thanks!

Lvl 1 - Bronze

I wonder if this review was given by the standard controller or the GT official wheel? The steering wheel changes the game almost entirely. I agree with CLK63AMGBLKORGTR.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Didn't think I'd bother posting on thisas the game was released ages ago, but yes, this is the only game I am still playing over 12 months later. Recent DLC is good, but the main thing is that PD still keep on adding seasonals etc which keep the game fresh.

Definitly a game to have (and love :p), it may have got an 8/10 now compared to before !!!

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by Memnoch-fr View Post
    Didn't think I'd bother posting on thisas the game was released ages ago, but yes, this is the only game I am still playing over 12 months later. Recent DLC is good, but the main thing is that PD still keep on adding seasonals etc which keep the game fresh.

Definitly a game to have (and love :p), it may have got an 8/10 now compared to before !!!
    I totally agree

Fight the Future

My favorite game of the generation for sure. I've always been a huge racing fan and Gran Turismo is the closest a console game has ever been to matching PC sims. The physics (the most important part of a racing game, in my opinion) are absolutely unmatched by any other racing game out there (including Forza 4 I'm sad to say, I was hoping for a lot better with that one) and with a wheel, pedal and shifter combo the game is unbelievably fun.

Not to mention the fact that Polyphony Digital continue to give us free content in the way of Seasonal Events, and the DLC packs they have released have been great as well.

The game has a lot of flaws as well (engine sounds being my major complaint) but as a whole simulation package, no other console game comes close to Gran Turismo.

Parker