by Gauss

Basic Information:
Developer: BioWare
Publisher: EA
North American Release Date: 3/29/2011
European Release Date: 3/29/2011
Trophies: Yes, 3

Overview
Arrival is the last Mass Effect 2 DLC designed to create a story arc to prepare for Mass Effect 3. Its the first real DLC for the PS3 and is only 7 USD on PSN.

Gameplay
Arrival doesn't introduce any serious new gameplay elements. What it does do is introduce a new type of mission structure. This time Shepard is going alone, and it brings about a whole new dynamic to Mass Effect because you are relying solely on your character class. It makes it feel more like a SpecOps/Military mission than any other mission to date in the ME universe.

While I cant' dock it too much for this, because ultimately this DLC is 7 USD, it only extends ME2's gameplay and adds a minor addition to the mix with the solo aspect.

Some of the cutscenes are great

Singleplayer
Arrival's story is relatively short, clocking in at about 2 hours. As BioWare has made no secret of, Arrival's story bridges the gap between ME2 and ME3. Shepard has to go to a Batarian system on the edge of the galaxy, alone, to rescue a doctor who has recovered a Reaper artifact that is tied to their invasion plans.

The story is interesting, particularly since it diverges from the standard ME2 toll much in the same way the Overlord DLC did. Ultimately the major plot twist is predictable, and BioWare made a mistake by foreshadowing it a little too much. Still it doesn't take away from the enjoyment of the story, and Arrival still serves its purpose and serves it well.

The final fight is intense

Technical
Arrival expands on the already large ME universe by adding the first system in Batarian space to the game. The system that contains the "Alpha" gate. The system features 2 locations used as apart of the mission: A prison planet and a secret base on an asteroid.

Without revealing any spoilers, the DLC keeps the ME universe's depth intact while featuring some absolutely phenomenal cutscenes.

Trophies
Arrival adds 3 bronze trophies. 2 are "missable," but none of the 3 are particularly difficult. The stealth section is simple enough that any veteran of MGS or AC will find it a cakewalk.

Closing Thoughts
Arrival is ultimately a short but sweet DLC that bridges the gap in the story between ME2 and ME3. It features 3 missions in a singular story arc and some additional upgrades. While the plot twist is predictable, its still fun and introduces Mass Effect's first stealth mission. At this price its a must have for ME fans, but it doesn't add anything to turn the ME haters around. While this DLC can't carry the whole game, it is only 7 USD.

Gameplay: 8/10
- Features the same quality ME2 gameplay with an addition of solo missions. While it doesn't add anything remarkable, it is only DLC.

Singleplayer: 7/10
- Short, but sweet. It bridges the gap between ME2 and ME3 well. Some points have to come off because BioWare needs to learn how to foreshadow properly.

Technical: 9/10
- Keeps up with the quality immersion and the cutscenes are very cool.

Overall: 8/10 Superb