by Kurisu-San

Developer: Ubisoft Montreal
Publisher: Ubisoft
Date of North American Release: December 2nd 2008
Date of European Release: December 4th 2008
Trophies: 1 4 6 50
Trophy Guide: Click Here

Overview:
Prince of Persia is the 4th installment of the second set of games for Prince of Persia. Ubisoft took up the mantle late in 2003 releasing The Sands of Time. Originally, Ubisoft planned to walk in their predecessors path and make a trilogy but that received such great feedback from The Two Thrones (2005) that they felt that they had to follow it up.

This is unofficial, but Ubisoft is probably following some kind of set guideline for creating games and I think that they're trying to create different games based on different elements, for example, The Sands of Time was heavily based on puzzles combining your sands and acrobatics. Warrior Within was heavily based on combat using a new dual weild option as well as combat upgrades. The Two Thrones was heavily based on assassinations and free Running, and I believe Prince of Persia was an attempt to combine all of them in one game. I do not believe that they did it very well due to the fact that if you were fast enough you could shut down EVERY enemy besides the bosses that you had to fight which could cut the game down to about 3 hours completion, how they do it, I have no idea, but that's what they said, but then again some people beat Resident Evil 5 in about 30 minutes so I guess anything is possible...

They managed to set it up so that you are looking for the princess and you run into an Ahura named Elika. She is running from her father who is trying to capture her for whatever reasons. You're forced into helping her by your nature and are dragged into a family quarrel and then are trapped into helping her stop some God, aren't they suppose to be invincible? Through your travels with Elika you get to know her and her heritage and why she is doing what she is doing. Get ready for a very surprise ending. All in all this is an above average Prince of Persia title. Plot twists, puzzles that'll annoy the hell out of you, excellent free-running, combined with an annoying collection reward, you're in store for some game...

Singleplayer:
As in preceding Prince of Persia games, players will be at home with the feel of the singleplayer campaign, along with some new abilities. They not only run through the game as the trusty Prince but also have a magical woman named Elika to help them along their journey. You have a new weapon this time, The Gauntlet, which allows for the Prince to incorporate that into his attacks. He also has speed attacks which throw his enemies, his sword attacks which can be blocked and can counter, and he has magic attacks which can remove the darkness from enemies using Elika's powers.

The speed at which free running occurs in this game is also much faster due to the processing speed of the PS3/360. As such, veterans are even put to a challenge trying to keep up, but after a short period you'll feel right at home keeping up with the pace. The game in itself is great, but it is way too easy and I believe that Ubisoft should push for a higher rating and try to get this game's difficulty up.

The story is intriguing and keeps you guessing up until the end. You have to deal with 5 different "henchmen" of the main antagonist and you have to deal with all of them differently. All of the bosses require 5 defeats to fully "kill" them and send them packing before the final battle with your God. This in itself isn't hard but merely a nuisance.

Technical:
The beauty of this game is truly its major marker... Ubisoft delivered an excellently crafted and visually stimulating video game with Prince of Persia. The attention to detail has often left me standing just looking around at the architecture and scenery. Though however beautiful it looks, there is something that just doesn't seem like it should fit... Oh that's right... It doesn't look real, no matter how much of a video game this is, realism is judged heavily in video games and this looks much like a Disney Cartoon, oh the irony?

Another great component of this game is its sound, they spent a great deal composing a very soothing soundtrack with this game and also adding half decent marks for their combat scenes, even if they are seldomly used... The sounds from the backgrounds are gorgeous and beautifully made. In their image, the voice overs aren't bad either, even though some of the dialog needs to be updated.

Game handling is as any other Prince of Persia... Magnificent. Enough said, you'll easily find the controls have not changed and even beginners will be able to pick up the game and be amazed at their affinity to catching onto the game. Sometimes timing can be unresponsive but there have been VERY few reports of this happening so that problem must be user error not game malfunction...

Trophy List:
The Trophy list was originally the same for nearly all early PS3 games... 1 platinum, 3 gold, 5 silver and 42 bronzes. However, with the DLC it added an extra 10 trophies, most of which were bronze. Even then the trophies aren't that hard to achieve with the hardest being Light Seeds Master Collect 1001 Light Seeds (all of them.) Most trophies can easily be gained during one playthrough and it requires 2 to 3 playthroughs to gain the platinum. Normal playthrough will probably net you speed demon Finish the game in under 12 hours. which isn't all that hard because I finished it in about 10 hours on my first attempt. On my second attempt (gaining all seeds and less than 100 saves from Elika, I beat it at 13 1/2 hours, which surprised me btw.

The trophy list is lacking very much. This isn't even a challenging platinum, just tedious. I have seen many challenging lists, Red Faction: Guerrilla, Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2, Sacred 2: Fallen Angel, Call of Duty: World at War, SOCOM, etc. etc. The list is however restricted severely due to the lack of additional content in the game, so the list cannot be fully at fault!

Gameplay: 8/10
Singleplayer: 7/10
Technical:9/10

Overall: 8 Superb

This installment of Prince of Persia is probably the most... nope, not the most interesting, that would have to be Warrior Within, It could be the best... no again. Not the longest, that would have to be The Two Thrones, at least it was the most beautiful! This game has its flaws just like any other game, but it definitely doesn't outweigh it's flaws. Don't let that fool you however, I can think of the phrase "Diamond in the rough" which can easily explain this game's potential.

I'm certain that this wont be the last Prince of Persia we'll see from Ubisoft and if anyone didn't understand the joke about it looking like a Disney cartoon it is because Disney is making a real life action Prince of Persia the Sands of Time set to release in 2010. I am anxious to see how Jake does an Arabian prince but we'll see. This game is a great run through, though short. I had a blast playing it and I have to admit that it was fun. I hated playing it my second time through because it was so boring. If you have to decide on whether you can plat this game in one playthrough it will take you about 25 hours... I'm going to have to say if you don't want to buy it, just rent it. I enjoy my copy of the collectors edition, but I felt that I could have spent that $65 elsewhere.