Resistance 2 Review

This is a discussion on Resistance 2 Review within the Game Reviews forum, part of the Trophy Guides, Reviews & Articles; Resistance 2 Review By XxBlackcat008xX Basic Information: Developer: Insomniac Games Publisher: Sony Computer Entertainment Date of North American Release: November ...

Administrator

Resistance 2 Review

Resistance 2 Review
    By XxBlackcat008xX

Basic Information:
    Developer: Insomniac Games
    Publisher: Sony Computer Entertainment
    Date of North American Release: November 4, 2008
    Date of European Release: November 28, 2008
    Date of Asian Release: November 13, 2008
    Trophies:
    Yes

Overview:
    In Resistance 2, you fight the Chimera as Nathan Hale, who is immune to the Chimera virus, also known as a sentinel. This game starts off right where the first one ended, an extended version of the last cinematic of the first game is the first cinematic in this one. Hale is brought to Iceland where he is shot down and ends up on the ground trying to fight his way through.

Resistance 2 is a first person shooter. Its selling point was its 60 player online games and their online cooperative campaign. They followed through with their promises and did a good job with it.

Gameplay:
    Resistance 2 is a fairly linear first person shooter. You really enter the action quick as the tutorial takes about 5 minutes and during it, you feel like you are in the center of the action.

The game is extremely large in scale, in the San Francisco level, there are chimera ships that are constantly moving, you can actually watch them for a few hours, and there is no loop to their arrival. Many of the levels have a final boss that is massive in size compared to any other enemy you see in the game. Unfortunately, most of the boss fights are more along the lines of puzzles instead of action. It has its ups and downs, but one major down is that the difficulty in the boss fights doesn’t change in the harder difficulty settings so the boss fights are actually one of the easier parts of the game in the harder difficulties.

Other than the boss fights, the game succeeds in every way. The AI is incredible, the common soldier (hybrids) will do anything you expect a typical soldier to do on a real life battlefield; they take cover, keep you behind yours, use their numbers, and cover each other effectively. The game is action packed all the way through to the end.

Singleplayer:
    In this story, Nathan Hale is the leader of his squad of four sentinels (including him). He travels to many landmark cities mixed in with some random towns that all exist in the United States. In this story, you are trying to kill what is essentially a form of Chimera, but its confusing and I would rather not get into that, long story short, there is a clear antagonist in this game.

There is a lot of opportunity for a sequel to this game because the story leaves a lot of questions unanswered. The story will likely not be a major force in making you continue the single player campaign but it is still a great story.

Multiplayer:
    This game shines brightest in the online sections. There are two ways to play online in this game. First is competitive, second is co-op. The competitive mode is amazing; it has sixty player battles in all game modes. You really feel like you are making a big impact on the battle, especially when you are doing well. This game has the traditional capture the flag and deathmatch modes, but where it brings in the originality is in skirmish mode.

In skirmish, you are assigned to a squad and you have a rival squad, you are fighting over control points with your squad against your rival squad, when there is another squad that needs help, that is your next objective. Skirmish is nice because it keeps the battle moving constantly and doesn’t allow for people to camp in their favorite sniping spot.

The cooperative mode in this game raises the bar extremely high. The enemies spawn based on number of players present and performance. If you do well at one point during a match, the game will throw more enemies at you later; this can also be based on level and number of players. In cooperative, there are three classes, the soldier, whose main weapon is the wraith, they are meant to provide cover and dish out damage at close range, the spec-ops, whose main weapon is the marksman, they are meant to provide the team with ammo and dish out damage to the distant enemies, and the medic, whose main weapon in the phoenix, they are meant to heal their teammates as there is no regenerating health in co-op. Overall it works really well and the classes are balanced.

Technical
    The graphics in this game are decent. Everything seems to have some form of a shine on it, it might just be the art style used in the game but it really doesn’t work out too well in some places, for example, there are some textures that are supposed to look a little bit rusty or cement like, neither rust nor cement shine.

The only other problem is the water, the water in this game looks amazing until you watch it move; the water never breaks its surface tension, which makes for a very strange effect, its almost like they used the water ripples slowed down and zoomed in for their research, but then forgot to zoom out and speed it up in the game.

As mentioned before, this game is massive in scale; the largest enemy in the game is taller than many buildings in Chicago. The smallest being the size of your thumb but there are an un-countable amount of them on-screen.

Gameplay: 9/10 Brilliant
    Singleplayer: 8/10 Great
    Multiplayer: 10/10 Flawless
    Technical: 8/10 Great

Overall: 9.5/10 Brilliant

Resistance 2 is a very good game and I recommend it to anyone who likes first person shooters. This game is considered to be the best game on the PS3 so far.You will get at least 100 hours play out of this game if you are going for the platinum trophy.

This game set the bar for online games for me and others. You will definitely enjoy this game from start to finish. It is a great game to follow its predecessor. At this point, all that people want is another resistance game. All we can do is hope that the rumors are true.

Writing Things

Well, i normally agree with the reviews on this site but it seems i've found an exception.

Where to start? Lets start with the unique identity that is sadly lacking for this sequel, the best parts of Resistance FOM were easily the guns and the locations, North America gets used in games and movies a lot so it was a neat change having England (not just London either! ) take centre stage for a big gung ho shooter, sadly, Resistance 2 plays it a bit safer with US based locations, one of which was eerily similar to a part of COD MW2's 'Wolverines' stage.

It feels like a step back gameplay wise, it has the guns, it has the enemies yet seems far less smooth fun than it's predecessor, R2 doesn't seem to hold the same weight in shooting as before, which is mad when you consider FOM had no rumble feature. The scale is not really there as it's essentially a corridor shooter with slightly wider corridors.

The story is passable, even with the so called shock ending that's more mild surprise. Hale is still a personality black hole which impacts said ending negatively.

The MP is probably the best part of the package along with a couple of decent segments of the main game but overall, R2 is lacking the killer touches that could have pushed the series into legend.

Sig by DaRe_xLw

Remember You Soon

Quote Originally Posted by Larrydavidsavatar View Post
    Well, i normally agree with the reviews on this site but it seems i've found an exception.

Where to start? Lets start with the unique identity that is sadly lacking for this sequel, the best parts of Resistance FOM were easily the guns and the locations, North America gets used in games and movies a lot so it was a neat change having England (not just London either! ) take centre stage for a big gung ho shooter, sadly, Resistance 2 plays it a bit safer with US based locations, one of which was eerily similar to a part of COD MW2's 'Wolverines' stage.

It feels like a step back gameplay wise, it has the guns, it has the enemies yet seems far less smooth fun than it's predecessor, R2 doesn't seem to hold the same weight in shooting as before, which is mad when you consider FOM had no rumble feature. The scale is not really there as it's essentially a corridor shooter with slightly wider corridors.

The story is passable, even with the so called shock ending that's more mild surprise. Hale is still a personality black hole which impacts said ending negatively.

The MP is probably the best part of the package along with a couple of decent segments of the main game but overall, R2 is lacking the killer touches that could have pushed the series into legend.
    A few things (just my opinion):

I will agree with you on the 1st point you've brought up: It was great to see the FOM in England. I thoroughly enjoyed the whole atmosphere and the weapons were awesome indeed. Story was one of the best I've ever played in a long time in a FPS. But, I will say that R2 did a great job by having it in the USA. Hale is a US solider, so as the virus spread through the world, the story had to go to the US on virtue of him going back to the US to help defend his country.

Now, Hale as a character, I would've loved to see his "background" story to see why he was indeed immune to the Chimera virus, and how both Hale and Jordan Shepherd were chosen to become "test subjects" and as a result, Jordan became Daedalus. Would've been more interesting (story wise) in R2. The ending was good, but again, left a few unanswered questions as Hale

Toggle Spoiler

. Now, no current FPS can come close to how R2's online is. That's the BEST MP I've ever played hands down!! Even when I was grinding away at the 10 online, I was still having a blast doing it. So overall, R2's easily the best of the whole trilogy, and I can't wait for the Resistance Collection to be released.

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by kidson2004 View Post
    Now, no current FPS can come close to how R2's online is. That's the BEST MP I've ever played hands down!!
    I don't totally agree with the quote above. R2 multiplayer I saw as more of a grind especially for that coveted Killing Machine trophy. I enjoyed it yes, but I think there are much better MPs out there.

As for the best in the series, I played R1 when it was first launched with the PS3 and played R2 of course, but I've only played the R3 demo.

I'd say the first one was the best, so gritty and raw, it was just perfect, unfortunately a trophy patch was never released. Hopefully they have one for the collection series, if so then I'm most definately going to buy it.

Perfect Platinum Streak Bar by RaveNScythE18

Platinum Bar by dsluckay

Lvl 6 - Silver

Now i haven't played the first and i played the second last year which was amazing imo unfortunately i bought the game later than i should and because of that getting that 10000 kills was impossible for me when only 10-20 players are Online every now and then i managed to get 2800 by myself but i got bored and moved forward with sorrow now as for Resistance 3 the game has improved dramatically i love how it looked how the story mode moves by from one sequence to the next it was beautiful i enjoyed playing it and i will aim for the Plat now that i've finished the game all in all i hope to get Resistance 2 Plat with the hope that when the collection is released people will return to play 2 again and i could get an Awesome looking Plat for such an Awesome looking game !!

Toggle Spoiler

For me trophies have become an integral part of gaming, like a stereo in a car. Is it really necessary? No. Is it a lot more fun with it though? Hell yeah!

quoted by Robinworldwide

Chaos will follow

Quote Originally Posted by User011010 View Post
    I don't totally agree with the quote above. R2 multiplayer I saw as more of a grind especially for that coveted Killing Machine trophy. I enjoyed it yes, but I think there are much better MPs out there.

As for the best in the series, I played R1 when it was first launched with the PS3 and played R2 of course, but I've only played the R3 demo.

I'd say the first one was the best, so gritty and raw, it was just perfect, unfortunately a trophy patch was never released. Hopefully they have one for the collection series, if so then I'm most definately going to buy it.
    The co-op is where the game truly shines.