Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II Review

This is a discussion on Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II Review within the Game Reviews forum, part of the Trophy Guides, Reviews & Articles; Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II Kerwan_Ratchet Basic Information: Developer: LucasArts Publisher: LucasArts North American Release Date: October 26, 2010 ...

Aussie Furry, Bitch

In a multiverses of different bodies and souls

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II Review

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II
    Kerwan_Ratchet

Basic Information:
    Developer: LucasArts
    Publisher: LucasArts
    North American Release Date: October 26, 2010
    European Release Date: October 29, 2010
    Trophies: 1 :plat:, 3 , 5 , 42

Overview:

The second game sees our Jedi, Starkiller breaking the steel grip that Vader has had on him once again. He will travel the galaxy, searching for his lost love, Juno and to discover his true fate and place, and confront Vader for the last time.

Gameplay

Dramatically improved from the first, along with the combat and controls. You now have accurate lock on targets, and jumping to another platform will no longer make the camera and your brain spin in a 360 degree angle. The glitches have been reduced to minimal, and combatís variety has been upgraded and tweaked up.

Whatís better than having one lightsaber? Why, two lightsabers of course!

You can either slice up stormtroopers and enemies with your dual lightsabers. Itís also worth mentioning that decapitation has been added, causing your satisfaction to grow has you dig into the nitty gritty of the combat, before hitting rock bottom before you know about it.

This time around you have the ability to upgrade each and every single one of your force powers, lightsabers and abilities. The unsurpassed part though is being capable to select from a broad variety of lightsaber types. You can also now hold two different types of lightsaber. As the difficultly has increased, you will need this benefit to chop up the stormtroopers like squid.

Your force powers are precisely what you imagine they would be. You are given the power of lighting, force push, mind control, and a spoonful more of goodies to unleash. The only problem here this though that you will be at a loss as to which power to use. You will probably end up dying multiple times before you make your decision, though not because the game is unfair or exceedingly difficult, but because you have such a wide variety of choices that itís tricky to juggle all yours powers at once for each situation. In fact, there are very rare instances where you have to use a particular ability. You just end up button mashing your way through the levels, sprawling the stormtroopers like rag dolls across the room, that is if you donít slice them in half sooner than they reach the ground. Sounds like fun? Wait until you hear the next bit.

You have a hidden move packed in that allows you to dig your lightsabers into the guts of your enemies before flipping them over your shoulders and into oblivion. The action may seem cool at first, but you will without question grow bored to tears of the same repetitive action time after time. You can avoid using the move, sure, but then you might be fed up of button mashingÖ.yet again.

Another issue is that you have do battle with the same enemy types over and over again. Gone are numerous foes in the first game, my young Padawan. You must learn to either assure yourself that you arenít having a seizure and having an attack of crossing your eyes, or just accept that whilst that enemy looks exactly as the same one you killed 500 enemies ago that also appeared similar, it is not the identical foe.

In a nut-shell, the gameplay in TFU II is fun, and improved in minor areas, yet hollow, as the game reveals itself as a corridor hack ní slash rather than a Star Wars game with tuned up powers to match. The superior controls and camera angles do make up slightly though. Just.

Singleplayer

As I mentioned in the previous paragraph, our tale is as before concerning the young Jedi Starkiller. This time round though, we see him in the care of Darth Vader, who is apparently being cloned multiple times to see if can he be ďturnedĒ to the darkside. After a quick cameo appearance from his girlfriend, Starkiller makes his escape from Vader and the adventure begins.

Oh waitÖan adventure? What adventure?

The story lasts you around four hours long, which doesnít get you your hard earned pay much value when the game costs about $100 new. The level design is basically bland corridors throughout tunnels and manors. Worse still, the game takes place in no more than three locations, one of them lasting under 2 minutes. This brainless aspect of the game is what hurts it the most. The Star Wars universe is expansive, never ending and has an infinite amount of different locales and varied planets. For the game to take place over three locales hurts it a fair deal.

The most shocking part? The story in a nut-shell is about finding Juno, your girlfriend. This is unquestionably worse than Star Wars: The Phantom Menace, which is an great feat, considering the story in The Phantom Menace was poor and bare bone. For a universe like Star Wars, there is absolutely no excuse for creating a story this stereotyped and hollow. There is a little more, though. Starkiller is also struggling to find out if heís actually a clone or not, as heís obviously not smart enough to figure that out for himself.

You do get a few cast appearances along the lines of Boba Fett and Yodi, but they are to a minimal and have they no reference in any other part of the game. Itís almost as if the developer threw them in at the last minute because they ran out of ideas. No. Actually, a better term would be that they had no ideas of their own what-so-ever.

The story in The Force Unleashed II is incomplete, hollow and does not match up to any story ever seen in Star Wars, not to mention any popular science fiction film. Not worthy of the Star Wars title, the story is a complete and utter disgrace to any science fiction or Star Wars fan, and makes no bones about it.

Technical

The Force Unleashed II is a fantastic looking game, with rich colours, deep animation and a technically impressive showcase all around. Itís not of the best looking games this generation, but it does surely come close without question.

The details in the character models have been enhanced to a point of strong satisfaction.

The artistic side though, does have a lot to be desired. As I previously said, you will visit locations that look exactly the same, a high percent of the time that being in long, bland corridors with that lack of variety kicking in once again. Even though the technical side does keep up in all ways with a slick frame rate, the artistic side is a disappointment and shallow. Even if the art wasnít as good as seen in the first game, at least the technical side was dramatically improved.

Sound effects and dialogue are all up to your expectations, in peculiar when you take part in a boss battle that requires you to plunge downstairs in the sky and avoid the debris whilst still reducing the bossí health. The sound effects are top notch and the shakes, cracks, explosions, smashes, etc, are all superb.

In short, the technical side in TFU2 has been improved all on aspects excluding the artistic style and presentation, which is a major blow. Though I can say that the technical side will draw a minor feeling of satisfaction.

Trophies

The trophies in TFU2 are surprisingly creative, with a fair amount of challenge. Some of them do require you do spend more time then youíd want to completing the main story and finishing off some of the trophies. A positive thing is that they require more skill than grinding, though completing the main story twice at minimum, and one play-through on Unleashed difficultly, is something you could do without, especially considering the low quality of the campaign itself.

Closing Thoughts

The Force Unleashed II could have been everything the first game was and more, with a rich, incredible story, lengthy campaign with a mountain of variety, and gameplay tuned up to make you feel like a true Jedi. TFU II does none of those things and only ends up being of the biggest disappointments of the year, and it is with deep regret that I say this. LucasArts should be ashamed. We all should be.

Gameplay: 7/10
    Improved and fun, but incomplete and confusing at the same time.

Singleplayer: 4/10
    The story gives you the bare-bone minimum that you could ever expect from a Star Wars tale. Avoid like veneral disease.

Technical: 8/10
    An impressive showcase, only majority tattered by the lack of artstic variety.

Overall: 6/10

Puns always intended.

One dimension short of being in a 3D game.

Good review, shame about the effort put into the game itself though, really left me with a feeling of 'was that it?'

I feel sorry for anyone that payed full whack for it.

Change is good

Quote Originally Posted by Larrydavidsavatar View Post
    Good review, shame about the effort put into the game itself though, really left me with a feeling of 'was that it?'

Exactly what I thought while playing it.

It's a collection of 3, maybe 4 rooms broken up by the same boss fights and many other small dudes that can be killed by throwing a table at them. The story is lacking and is forbiddingly short with no real emotion. It feels like a quick cash out for all of the die hard Star Wars fans can have another thing to moisten their pants with.

#cutformesa

Quote Originally Posted by Larrydavidsavatar View Post

Try $80 for the CE on release

Current Playthrough Counts:
    Mass Effect: 25 || Mass Effect 2: 44
    Mass Effect 3: 15
    Add me for ME3 multiplayer shenanigans.
    First legit Mass Effect 3 100% on PS3T.

SERBIA STRONG

Thanks to Luckay for the ETGWG bar and avy, and Qurb for the sig!

R.I.P Ps3 02/01/14 :(

I read this review earlier on today and since i have just recently plat'd TFU, i was particularly interested in seeing how this went. I haven't played TFU II yet but despite the review, i will do so eventually and even though this doesn't seem as good as the first one, I'm still looking forward to when i eventually play it and will keep an open mind until i do. I really enjoyed the first one, challenging and great fun and i was hoping the TFU II would be even better but apparently not. But like i say, I'm still going to play this and I'll see what it's like then. Thanks for the great review Kerwan

Sig and avy by the awesomely talented stupot00 and GDT bar by the excellent djunglist

Aussie Furry, Bitch

In a multiverses of different bodies and souls

Quote Originally Posted by john3007 View Post
    I read this review earlier on today and since i have just recently plat'd TFU, i was particularly interested in seeing how this went. I haven't played TFU II yet but despite the review, i will do so eventually and even though this doesn't seem as good as the first one, I'm still looking forward to when i eventually play it and will keep an open mind until i do. I really enjoyed the first one, challenging and great fun and i was hoping the TFU II would be even better but apparently not. But like i say, I'm still going to play this and I'll see what it's like then. Thanks for the great review Kerwan
    If you can get it for an extremely low price then go for it, but overall it's really not worth buying.