Guy from Future Publishings got Drunk, Spews on Twitter that Paid Reviews are rampant

This is a discussion on Guy from Future Publishings got Drunk, Spews on Twitter that Paid Reviews are rampant within the General Chit-Chat forum, part of the Off Topic Chat; Before we get into it, Future Publishing owns all these: Magazines EU Edge GamesMaster GamesMaster Cheats GamesMaster Presents NGamer Nintendo: ...

INTJ

Guy from Future Publishings got Drunk, Spews on Twitter that Paid Reviews are rampant

Before we get into it, Future Publishing owns all these:

Magazines
    EU
    Edge
    GamesMaster
    GamesMaster Cheats
    GamesMaster Presents
    NGamer
    Nintendo: The Official Magazine
    PC Gamer
    PlayStation: The Official Magazine
    PSM3
    Xbox 360: The Official Magazine
    Xbox World

US
    Nintendo Power
    Official Xbox Magazine
    PC Gamer
    PlayStation: The Official Magazine

AUS
    Nintendo: The Official Magazine
    PSM3
    Xbox 360: The Official Magazine

Websites
    computerandvideogames.com
    gamesradar.com
    goldenjoystick.com
    next-gen.biz
    nintendopower.com
    officialnintendomagazine.co.uk
    officialplaystationmagazine.co.uk
    oxm.co.uk
    oxmonline.com
    pcgamer.com

Now back to the main point.

some guy got really drunk who works for Future Publishing as a freelance writer, got angry last night, and took to twitter,

https://twitter.com/RichStanton

Future Publishing (Edge/PC Gamer/etc) freelance writer says they alter reviews, more - NeoGAF

Edge gave GTA IV [10] but the review didn’t “@CiaranMac90: @RichStanton Just give us the worst story on Future you have and get some rest!”

They control everything “@theubermod: @RichStanton Do publishers/platform holders 'pay' for covers? In either ad spend or access.”

Yes “@helloimandrew: @RichStanton do review scores in future publications sometimes magically change before it hits the self”

Yes. Future will do anything to accommodate advertisers. “@LewieP: @RichStanton have you witnessed any dodgy deals?"

Nintendo - flawless. Early access, no interest in the score. “@MDKII:@RichStanton Any other examples of good PR you’ve dealt with?”

PC Gamer asked me to take some photos of something very specific. A wall of concept art. I asked permission, and did so.
    Valve went nuts. This wasn’t approved! Do you know what PC Gamer’s editor, Tim Edwards, did?
    He denied I had ever been asked to do it. Said PCG were merely the innocent recipient. Lied, in other words. ****.

we got PR shit on OXM for 'underscoring' exclusives

Yes I am drunk x

He also has a giant wordpress site here, and he hates CVG alot apparently.

http://bootofjustice.wordpress.com/

So Apparently Everyone big (Excluding Nintendo apparently, they only give a early copy and don't give a fuck after that) Is paying review sites and companies to Push fake reviews out to make idiots buy them because "the review said it was good" They own EVERY part of the company inside and out because they get paid enough money.

And about the valve concept art thing, Valve didn't even allow me to take pics at all except in the lobby when i was there and there was a ton of awesome concept stuff i saw like Poster concepts, game concepts that arn't even in-game yet, and shit. i can see why because they are so secret.

"Never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you."

Change is mediocre

So something some of us were thinking is true?

interesting

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by dsluckay View Post
    So something some of us were thinking is true?

interesting
    some people actually listen to reviews

comical right

"Never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you."

Banned

When I was young I thought that money was the most important thing in life, now that I am old I know that it is. - Oscar Wilde.
    Corruption4lyfe!

Change is mediocre

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post

comical right
    Yeah. Fucking hilarious.

:stare:

Resident PHD

comical right
    Yeah, Fuck the Review Team

AWESOME SIG AND AVY BY ALISON CHECK OUT HER WORK HERE

Rangers F.C

This whole world is corrupt , been that way since it started but ..............................................................

Would like to thank Google and snipping tool for my amazing sig + avatar

I HAVE NEVER IN MY LIFE LEARNED ANYTHING FROM ANY MAN WHO AGREED WITH ME

To be conscious that you are ignorant of the facts is a great step to knowledge

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by dr_mayus View Post
    Yeah, Fuck the Review Team
    i don't read them regularly so ok.

Lvl 6 - Silver

I wouldnt be surprised if it involved nintendo but try explaining that to a drone and see what happens

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by AJL_LEYJA View Post
    I wouldnt be surprised if it involved nintendo but try explaining that to a drone and see what happens
    did you even read it.

Nintendo is the only one that is clean.

PRO Member

Wow!!! Shocker...LOL I didnt need some drunk tweeter to tell me that one!

illegal in 9 countries

You're citing the opinion of one drunk, disgruntled employee from one publisher and applying it to an entire industry....you've never done that before. To suggest that all journalists from all gaming magazines and websites are in the pockets of game publishers is just plain silly.

Everyone in every industry is skeptical of reviews and testimonials. Opinions about what is "good" varies between two individuals, let alone planet-wide. Metacritic was created for just this purpose to mitigate the inherent bias of journalism and provide a more balanced and realistic aggregate score based on all reviews. Although I don't trust any individual journalist's review of a game, I trust a Metacritic score as the average gaming journalist's rating.

If a game scores a 4 or 10 in one review, but a 7 on Metacritic, there's a pretty strong indication that bias is at play. Whether that bias is paid for or not, I really don't care. A score or rating is never going to influence me enough to buy or dismiss a game. It's MY impression of the art design, graphics, audio, setting, story, controls, etc that matters and I get that from a trailer or gameplay video, not a review.

Where reviews come in handy is to point out potential game-breaking flaws like shitty controls, poor AI, slow framerates etc that can't be gleaned from watching a gameplay video. It's those tangible and objective qualities that can't be bought and paid for by publishers that influence me more than an intangible, opinion-based value judgment of "good".

PSN | Steam | XBL | Wii U | 3DS | iOS | OUYA : ant1th3s1s | Checklist of the Year (2012,2013)

Lvl 3 - Bronze

This was known for a long time.

If you look at the Kane and Lynch 2 fiasco, where a Gamespot employee was fired for giving the game a low score it's pretty obvious.

It was even stated that I/O Interactive was an advertiser on Gamespot.

Reviewers of a any kind are worthless, professional, or amateur.
    Truly, we live in the age of shitty games.

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    You're citing the opinion of one drunk, disgruntled employee from one publisher and applying it to an entire industry....you've never done that before. To suggest that all journalists from all gaming magazines and websites are in the pockets of game publishers is just plain silly.
    A former IGN Employee agrees.

Former IGN Employee Admits Review Scores Are Skewed Due to Public Relations and The Almighty Dollar :: Zelda Informer

The truth is that marketing and PR and readers have a major influence on reviews. I can tell you that just about every preview and review you read spouts out a lot of marketing’s message. Journalists don’t get it, see it, realize it, or accept it. But that is the truth

illegal in 9 countries

I'm not disagreeing with you, we all know it happens, but it's not as pervasive nor as influencial as you believe.

Never heard of GiantBomb.com? Shady review practices at Gamespot were the reason GiantBomb was created in the first place. All of the review staff are former Gamespot employees. Ironically, their review scores aren't dissimilar to Gamespot's.

Some journalists and sites retain their integrity. Just as some journalists and sites are marketing whores. As I said, no single review should be read in isolation. Use MetaCritic to filter out the bullshit.
    Last edited by ant1th3s1s; 10-11-2012 at 07:39 PM.

PSN | Steam | XBL | Wii U | 3DS | iOS | OUYA : ant1th3s1s | Checklist of the Year (2012,2013)

INTJ

Never heard of GiantBomb.com? Their scores aren't dissimilar to Gamespot, the very reason GiantBomb was created in the first place.

gee i wonder why

CBS Interactive (GameSpot parent company) buys Giant Bomb - NeoGAF

jeff gertsman cannot avoid the kayne and lynch train. it's why i only watch quick looks because it shows how they actually feel about a game.

illegal in 9 countries

So you're suggesting the man who couldn't be bought at Gamespot can be bought by CBS? He left / was terminated rather than change his review score, but now he's dodgy too?

Convincing argument...

INTJ

So you're suggesting the man who couldn't be bought at Gamespot can be bought by CBS? He left / was terminated rather than change his review score, but now he's dodgy too?

Convincing argument...
    people can change reviews after the reviewer made his review.

thats what editing and proofreading is.

Giant Bomb is all Jeff has in terms of review sites, once he lets that go god knows what happens to him.

illegal in 9 countries

people can change reviews after the reviewer made his review.

thats what editing and proofreading is.

Giant Bomb is all Jeff has in terms of review sites, once he lets that go god knows what happens to him.
    Given Jeff is the Editor, who do you think is proofreading the review?

You have trust issues doodles.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

I'm not disagreeing with you, we all know it happens, but it's not as pervasive nor as influencial as you believe.
    Exactly.

Here's my take on all this conspiracy theory BS and reviews in general (hear me out):

I follow dozens of "video game journalists" on twitter and they vary from many different websites and publications; websites and publications that the kidz on the internet would like to point accusatory fingers at and yell things like "LOL MONEY HAT".

I also listen to numerous podcasts featuring many of these same people. I'm lucky to currently have a job that allows me listen to these as I work and I mention that because I want to emphasize that I listen to a lot of podcasts, most of which are video game related. For hours, each and every week, I've listened to these same people talk about, discuss, and debate nearly every aspect of this industry, not the least of which are reviews and their opinions on certain games. They often talk about individual games at length, sometimes for as long as an hour.

Due to my constant interest in the video game industry, between listening to podcasts and reading twitter over the years, I've gotten to know a lot of these people. I know them almost as well as my own personal friends and in a way they've become a part of my life. I am interested in their takes on games and other subjects whether or not I actually agree with them.

So why do I mention all this? Because their opinions do not differ from what they write and publish. I hope you can see where I'm going with this.

To suggest that they are all paid off or whatever, would be to suggest that their lives are total lies: that these men and women are so devoted to their profession as false reviewers that they would continue to talk about these games and pour hours into them even after writing a review. So devoted, that they can go on a podcast (or on twitter) and talk at length, in complete detail, about a video game and articulate why they did or did not like it for hours on end, and then continue to live that double life for all eternity. I mean, obviously they went to spy school or something and were professionally trained on how to lie at all times.

If you truly believe that, well then I'd hate to be you, constantly looking over your shoulder, never trusting a single person, and thinking the world is out to get you.

Their words are not the incoherent ramblings of desperate liars holding on to a job, they are words of people who play, love, and know video games. You may not always agree with them, but they are not at all as corrupt as many are so quick to assume.

Hey, feel free to add me (Coconutz) on PSN!