View Poll Results: Your religion/beliefs?

Voters
91. You may not vote on this poll
  • Christian

24 26.37%
  • Catholic/Roman Catholic

7 7.69%
  • Buddist

3 3.30%
  • Hundism

1 1.10%
  • Islamic

5 5.49%
  • Judaism

0 0%
  • Agnostic

16 17.58%
  • Atheist

20 21.98%
  • Theist

0 0%
  • Other

15 16.48%
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Religious beliefs/points of view?

This is a discussion on Religious beliefs/points of view? within the General Chit-Chat forum, part of the Off Topic Chat; Atheist. I had a strong Christian background in the Evangelical Lutheran Church of America, which is a pretty liberal and ...

Where The Wind Blows

Atheist. I had a strong Christian background in the Evangelical Lutheran Church of America, which is a pretty liberal and cool denomination. This background is one of many reasons I can't agree with atheists who suggest religion is bad or needs eliminated. Instead I think the atheistic and the theistic should be unconcerned by difference of religious opinion, and instead focus on issues that affect us all.

I blog on religious issues, as a matter of fact.

Click for some context for this signature. It rotates the lyric every time it's reloaded!

Lvl 11 - Elite

I'll go with "Other".

I'm more of a spiritual person, and I find that as I get older my ideas and experiences shape my view and beliefs. I was born in a very religious family but I managed to get away from all that bullshit and start thinking by myself. I'd never tell my children how or what to believe like my parents did. I think it's something you can only do on your own.

I do have come to a few conclusions about life and death, but I'm still walking my road and who knows what I'll find next.

Galaxy beauty pirate

Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    I'm a 'soft' Agnostic - that is I do not know if a God exists, as opposed to 'hard' Agnosticism, which is based on the notion that we cannot know a God exists.
    Same for me and I agree with Ant1 as well. It's nice when someone posts what I think, so I don't have to write a whole story.
    Sig by Ramon

Death is Awaiting....

I believe in Gawd, so Christian?

Sig by Achantion

Too Hot

I'm a 'soft' Agnostic - that is I do not know if a God exists, as opposed to 'hard' Agnosticism, which is based on the notion that we cannot know a God exists.
    I agree with this as well.
    Thanks to DaRe_xLw for the sig and djunglist for the avy

"I'm the old man who lives upstairs and starves his pets, then never leaves his house cause he thinks his car's possessed"

Aussie Furry, Bitch

In a multiverses of different bodies and souls

Quote Originally Posted by wandarer View Post
    I voted Catholic. This is what I was raised, and I never felt like it was shoved down my throat. Yes, there is a lot of science (a field that really interests me) that supports the theory of evolution and contradicts the theory of creationism, but in my mind, giving the complexity of the human body, the very delicate balances and harmonious relationships and dependencies in nature, its hard for me to reconcile everything now-a-days as an accident.

But that is just my personal opinion.

One thing that my wife and I learned during RCIA classes (she wanted to become Catholic like I was, and these were the classes to introduce adults to Catholicism), that the Old Testament shouldn't be taken literally, rather it should communicate to the reader how God was with humanity at that stage in humanities development.

Basing my interpretation of religions texts, that is how I can reconcile the Bible with the theory of evolution.

Was that really necessary?
    It's good to see that you don't take the Bible 100% literally and leave some room for interpretation, especially with the old testament. Some things can't be adjusted such as Solomon's reign (which has historical evidence to back up). I'd also agree on not believing that we all came here by blind chance. It's too absurd.

And just ignore him. It's just a typical bodi post - full of stupidity and trying to evoke trouble. He's incapable of saying anything intelligent, so just ignore it.

Aussie Furry, Bitch

That's more along the times of agnostic atheism or agnostic theism. I have a friend who believes in a creator of some sort and the supernatural but isn't sure if he believes in a god or gods...yet.

Lvl 2 - Bronze

My viewpoints on this subject are rather simple - I'll find out when I'm dead. I'm well-read on many different forms of religion and their various sub-genres, and to be honest, I'm not all that eager to label myself this or that; there are far too many variables and philosophies to pigeon-hole just one for me.

Death is something we each go through alone and I think in that regard our own thoughts on the afterlife/religion should be solitary; in the sense that we should be allowed and encouraged the freedom to find our own beliefs out for ourselves. No one fucking knows after all, the only people who know for sure are dead and every religious scripture passed down through the ages was written by mankind, inspired by their fluctuating beliefs and/or experiences.

I think the fundamental issue is the lack of respect for individuals' beliefs; too many people seem eager to shove their beliefs down people's throats when there isn't any irrefutable evidence to back any religion or belief up. Believe what you want to believe I say, we'll only have our own belief system to fall back on when the time comes to die. In the meantime, enjoy life and the fact that it is truly special; that much is certain.
    "Always forgive your enemies - nothing annoys them so much."
    "I swear I used to be somebody."

Kiwi Defender

I believe in Olympus. Thus, I'll have my body be buried alongside that of Kratos so I know for sure I'll be able to kick Zeus's ass for being such a playboy.

On my free time from worshipping Hades, though, I consider myself an atheist (the asshole kind).

Also, this thread will be closed sooner or later, because people will argue amongst themselves at one point or another lol.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Lvl 7 - Gold

This thread is still open? Amazing. My religious views are simple and complicated at the same time (much like the issue at hand). As far as my own beliefs go, I am a devout Atheist through and through. I've never once seen a scrap of evidence in my 35 years to the contrary. I don't believe in magic and, not to offend anyone here, but I feel sorry for anyone who does. The mere fact that modern christians follow stories from thousands of years ago that were written by desperate men to try to answer unanswerable questions seems a little fishy to me and it always has. The fact that the dark ages wiped out knowledge and massacred free thinking concerns me more than a little bit. This is where it gets complicated for me because I don't presume to tell people how to live their lives because we are all equal men and women. People are free to believe just as I am free not to believe. Where I have a huge problem with religion is when it becomes overwhelminly oppressive. I never understood how someone could believe in a loving god and spew so much hate towards gay people, as well as other acts of hate and ignorance (looking at you Todd Akin, other select Republicans). It is a mixed message that says Jesus loves you, as long as you're just like me. One last thing I'll say is that I am disgusted by the amount of religion in my US government when there was always supposed to be a separation of church and state and people like me are clearly not represented. Currently, there is just one outspoken Atheist in our government and when these leaders are religious, they come in to office with an agenda other than public service and it just isn't right. I swear I could go on all day about this issue and I think it's great that nowdays, we can openly talk about such things. All my life, they said, "don't discuss religion or politics" because people always fight about it. Well I say it is better to fight than to disagree in silence and avoid conversation for the sake of it. We should be able to discuss anything without fighting if we are truly civilized.

Lvl 7 - Gold

christian. there IS evidence to support many stories in the bible but as we are taught believing without seeing, unlike doubting thomas (while talking to god is still available lol) is fine with me.

Lvl 5 - Silver

I put Christian. I do believe in a God, but at the same time, I don't exactly care about religion all that much.
    "Those who do not show respect will receive none in kind."

Lvl 6 - Silver

Christian. The reason you people are here is because ONE GOD created you (Most of you are blind faith). Seeing is believing my ass, just think on that. Also, If Evolution was true, why haven't the monkeys of today transformed....? (Retarted perhaps....) heheheheheheheh
    Sync Unison: Element of Spirits

Aussie Furry, Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by Ezbeon View Post
    Christian. The reason you people are here is because ONE GOD created you (Most of you are blind faith). Seeing is believing my ass, just think on that. Also, If Evolution was true, why haven't the monkeys of today transformed....? (Retarted perhaps....) heheheheheheheh
    I know tons of atheists who believe in aliens but say that the belief in God is absurd because there's zero proof and we can't see them.

Oh the irony lol.

Kid, not loser

I'm Christian, to an extent. Why to an extent? I don't believe in titling myself for something I find more of a relationship in, which is with my God.

There is historical proof. For instance, a man named Jesus Christ was real, performed miracles, was crucified and raised from the dead 3 days later. This is historical facts no matter how you view it. There was a documentary not too long ago (forgot what it was called or what the main guy's name was) about an atheist lawyer who decided to disprove Jesus. He found the evidence and witnesses over whelming, that there is no way of denying it. Anyway the guy became a christian and it really proved a lot through that movie, it was good too. But there is much more proof out there.

I for one don't believe in evolution, there are so many ways to disprove it while with God the argument is, "there is no proof" but no way to disprove it really. With evolution every theory of the beginning of time is unexplained all too much. Many scientists have even gone on to say that life started on earth by some other life force bringing it here. Either that being God or an alien is all up to you.

I believe it's all a choice to believe what you want to believe and that's what God gave us, a choice.

Thanks to Bladia for the amazing Sig and Avy.

Legalize it...

Quote Originally Posted by Vulgar View Post
    I put down Agnostic. I do not know if there is a God... However I do not care on way or the other. If there is a God, cool. If there is no God, cool.

If you feel some God makes you feel better, or makes you feel more secure about where you are going, good for you. It's just not for me.
    Exactly how I feel...

Kid, not loser

Quote Originally Posted by I-Reaped-U View Post
    I believe in good and evil.
    There is no GOD.
    If there was, then 20 little kids wouldn't be getting killed for going to school.
    20 kids getting killed doesn't disprove God, or say it would not happen in a world with a God what-so-ever. I have to say that I've heard statements like that many times before but it is extremely arrogant for any atheist to say.

God made it so we all have choices. With choices comes consequences. We would have no choice if there were no consequences. If God made it so that there were no consequences he would have to make it so there is no choice, where we are all equal only because we are forced to. This is where people think with God it means it HAS to be a perfect world. God did not want to make it where he is forcing us to do his will, it's our choice to do so or not. If he forced one person to stop then he must force all to stop, for that is perfect equality. It would make us mindless creatures. He helps people and gives signs of the ones in need. Some don't see the signs, and do irrational things. You only don't hear about the things God has stopped, simply because they did not happen. We made the world imperfect when we first sinned, cause God never wanted to force us to choose him.

Thanks to Bladia for the amazing Sig and Avy.

Too Hot

Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post
    I believe in Olympus. Thus, I'll have my body be buried alongside that of Kratos so I know for sure I'll be able to kick Zeus's ass for being such a playboy.

On my free time from worshipping Hades, though, I consider myself an atheist (the asshole kind).

Also, this thread will be closed sooner or later, because people will argue amongst themselves at one point or another lol.
    I wouldn't consider Zeus a playboy when he fucked his own mother and sisters
    Thanks to DaRe_xLw for the sig and djunglist for the avy

"I'm the old man who lives upstairs and starves his pets, then never leaves his house cause he thinks his car's possessed"

Rangers F.C

I choose to believe in a creator , God , whatever . I am sure evolution has taken place and all the science is there to prove it but for me I choose to believe that both God and evolution can be the same thing . What I mean is the creator must have sparked life to begin with and created the universe , to try and explain everything with the big bang creates more questions than answers for me lol . If there was nothing , a void , then what exactly blew up , nothing can't blow up . They say the big bang can be tracked because everything is moving away from a central point , sure there could have been a big bang but it IMO was just an explosion in space , not the beginning of everything , the stuff was already there . You cannot have nothing , then shit just appear without a higher power being involved , just my opinion . We will find out one day or not , thats what makes your life so special , so don't waste it , if you are down pick yourself up , if you are in a good place then help your brothers and sisters , Gods may not exist but we are all here NOW so make the best of it , you might NEVER BE again , peace lol
    Would like to thank Google and snipping tool for my amazing sig + avatar

I HAVE NEVER IN MY LIFE LEARNED ANYTHING FROM ANY MAN WHO AGREED WITH ME

To be conscious that you are ignorant of the facts is a great step to knowledge

Retired

I hate religion because people in religion force other people to be in their religion.

Not gonna state my views though. Just voting

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast