View Poll Results: Your religion/beliefs?

Voters
91. You may not vote on this poll
  • Christian

24 26.37%
  • Catholic/Roman Catholic

7 7.69%
  • Buddist

3 3.30%
  • Hundism

1 1.10%
  • Islamic

5 5.49%
  • Judaism

0 0%
  • Agnostic

16 17.58%
  • Atheist

20 21.98%
  • Theist

0 0%
  • Other

15 16.48%
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Religious beliefs/points of view?

This is a discussion on Religious beliefs/points of view? within the General Chit-Chat forum, part of the Off Topic Chat; Originally Posted by Undrey I hate religion because people in religion force other people to be in their religion. Not ...

Let Me Watch

Quote Originally Posted by Undrey View Post
    I hate religion because people in religion force other people to be in their religion.

Not gonna state my views though. Just voting
    You've said you're islamic/muslim before...
    Thanks to djunglist for the sig and avy

Angel of Death

Quote Originally Posted by Ezbeon View Post
    Christian. The reason you people are here is because ONE GOD created you (Most of you are blind faith). Seeing is believing my ass, just think on that. Also, If Evolution was true, why haven't the monkeys of today transformed....? (Retarted perhaps....) heheheheheheheh
    Oh how I don't want to start an argument, but evolution is when a species needs to adapt to the changes around them. We can still be evolving, considering there were quite a few different types of humans before us, we didn't exactly come from monkeys. Plus we're more like a gorilla anyway.

Also, question about the poll selections, isn't Catholic just a denomination of Christianity?

PRO Member

I love the study of religion and find it quite interesting. I consider myself fairly knowledgeable in theology. The more I learned, the less I believed. In short, I'm a devout atheist.

PRO Member

Christian. The reason you people are here is because ONE GOD created you (Most of you are blind faith). Seeing is believing my ass, just think on that. Also, If Evolution was true, why haven't the monkeys of today transformed....? (Retarted perhaps....) heheheheheheheh
    *retarded... the irony

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by cengizbobengiz View Post

Also, question about the poll selections, isn't Catholic just a denomination of Christianity?
    Catholicism is the first Christian faith. Eastern Orthodox Christians were the first to break off because of some opposition to the Pope in the 11th century. Then the Protestant Reformation started under Martin Luther, and most other denominations began finding minor things to squabble over and began creating their own churches. Catholics are Christians, but Christians aren't Catholics. They've always been separated into Catholics and Protestants for the most point.

The Old Guy

How in the world has this thread not been closed yet?

I'd be happy to discuss my views with one of you personally over a cup of coffee, but religious discussion and internet forums DO NOT MIX.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by AlecDawesome View Post
    You've said you're islamic/muslim before...
    Might've changed.

You Know You Love Me

Quote Originally Posted by MatCauthon View Post
    Catholicism is the first Christian faith. Eastern Orthodox Christians were the first to break off because of some opposition to the Pope in the 11th century. Then the Protestant Reformation started under Martin Luther, and most other denominations began finding minor things to squabble over and began creating their own churches. Catholics are Christians, but Christians aren't Catholics. They've always been separated into Catholics and Protestants for the most point.
    A few things wrong with this.

Catholicism is not the first Christian faith. First, Christianity is the first Christian faith, and secondly Catholicism is not a faith, it's a Religion.

The Reformation wasn't started by Martin Luther. The Reformation describes a time of enormous social upheaval, which came to be spearheaded by philosophes and theologians like Martin Luther (who came to establish the Lutheran Church), and John Calvin (Calvanism).

Mainstream Protestantism can trace it's roots to The Church of England established by King Henry VIII in the 16th century.

While it is true that the two largest 'Christian' groups are Catholics and Protestants, there are many other larger groups: Presbyterians, Mormons, Lutherans, Orthodox, and the increasingly popular Pentecostal.

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    A few things wrong with this.

Catholicism is not the first Christian faith. First, Christianity is the first Christian faith, and secondly Catholicism is not a faith, it's a Religion.

The Reformation wasn't started by Martin Luther. The Reformation describes a time of enormous social upheaval, which came to be spearheaded by philosophes and theologians like Martin Luther (who came to establish the Lutheran Church), and John Calvin (Calvanism).

Mainstream Protestantism can trace it's roots to The Church of England established by King Henry VIII in the 16th century.

While it is true that the two largest 'Christian' groups are Catholics and Protestants, there are many other larger groups: Presbyterians, Mormons, Lutherans, Orthodox, and the increasingly popular Pentecostal.
    I stated Catholic as the first Christian faith for the sake of simplicity. The first church, Christianity as you stated, leads directly to the modern-day Catholic Church.

You are correct on the 2nd point. Luther didn't start the reformation. It would have been more accurate for me to state that he was one of the more prominent figures at the beginning of it.

Lutherans are indeed Protestants, as are Presbyterians. Pentecostals are considered a branch of evangelical Protestantism. You are correct... LDS and various Orthodox churches are not included in either group.

Aussie Furry, Bitch

In a multiverses of different bodies and souls

Quote Originally Posted by Kid_Loser View Post
    I'm Christian, to an extent. Why to an extent? I don't believe in titling myself for something I find more of a relationship in, which is with my God.

There is historical proof. For instance, a man named Jesus Christ was real, performed miracles, was crucified and raised from the dead 3 days later. This is historical facts no matter how you view it. There was a documentary not too long ago (forgot what it was called or what the main guy's name was) about an atheist lawyer who decided to disprove Jesus. He found the evidence and witnesses over whelming, that there is no way of denying it. Anyway the guy became a christian and it really proved a lot through that movie, it was good too. But there is much more proof out there.

I for one don't believe in evolution, there are so many ways to disprove it while with God the argument is, "there is no proof" but no way to disprove it really. With evolution every theory of the beginning of time is unexplained all too much. Many scientists have even gone on to say that life started on earth by some other life force bringing it here. Either that being God or an alien is all up to you.

I believe it's all a choice to believe what you want to believe and that's what God gave us, a choice.
    I couldn't agree more. Being religious isn't about being part of a large cult of people who share your views, it's about having a relationship with Hod while following his rules in accordance with how he has set them, and you do that with lot of other people. That's the way I see it, anyway.

And about evolution, I know a biologist who says that whilst there are some evidence for evolution, there are so many gaps that are missing that scientists merely fill in the blanks with, and that any evidence that's not there has been covered up or brushed over. Besides, 2/3 scientists believe in God or some sort of a creator. I've seen some idiots on other forums actually say that the more educated a person is the less religious they will be.

And then Richard Dawkins (a new-age atheist and a complete moron when it comes to social skills), says that someone as smart as Jesus "should have been an atheist".

What a load of shit.

PRO Member

I think I put myself down on the last UK census as a Jedi knight which turned out to be quite a popular religion, based on the results as I recall.

\(^o^)/ (・。・)

I am an agnostic and have been for a few years now. I was raised as a Roman-Catholic, and while I respect my family's religious views, as well as my relatives and cousins, I decided to take a different path to live a more meaningful life. Of course, everyone including my friends respect this decision. I could give a good reason for this change but, put it simply, I wanted a neutral stance on what I chose to believe in. Creationism or evolution, god or no god, I neither believe nor disbelieve. I just want to live a life full of meaning, and when the time comes, be judged for what I have done for others. That is all. =3
    | Avatar by In2 | | Sig by Athena |

Kiwi Defender

Quote Originally Posted by AlecDawesome View Post
    I wouldn't consider Zeus a playboy when he fucked his own mother and sisters
    That's just half the people he fucked, though. Remember he loved to come down to greet us mortals and fuck our women . Hence there being so many demi-gods .

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Catholic, not closed minded, love science, not a literal interpreter if the bible. Also don't believe in one religion is the right one. Most of them seem to be talking about the same big guy in the next realm.

Legendary...Nuff Said

First of all, I'm surprised that nothing has gone up in flames yet in this thread. That said, it probably was an unnecessary inclusion to the forum-talk. These things have the potential to get out of hand quickly and don't amount to much actual discussion. I'm never going to convince someone of high faith that what I believe is correct, and vice versa. The whole religion vs. science argument is stupid. Feel free to pick sides, but don't shove either of your ideas down each others throats. Everyone will just end up choked.

On a personal level, I was born and raised as a Jew, but I pretty much believe everything having to do with religion is mumbo-jumbo. I don't like classifying myself as "atheist" or "agnostic" because I feel such labels create an unwanted sense of community. Science is making such strong advances, especially within the past ~100 years, and it's frustrating for me to see people gripping onto things that aren't there. I think it just bogs humanity down.

Now that said, atheists who speak out against religion are just as bad as the religious people themselves. In order to defeat your enemy, you must become the enemy and that's exactly what some are doing. Frustrating from my perspective.

Either way, I'm not going to dictate someone else into believing against what I think is bullshit, but at the same time I believe everyone should also be mindful of such with themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerwan_Ratchet View Post
    I couldn't agree more. Being religious isn't about being part of a large cult of people who share your views, it's about having a relationship with Hod while following his rules in accordance with how he has set them, and you do that with lot of other people. That's the way I see it, anyway.
    Not entirely true. Perhaps to you it's about your connection to your god, but for many religion gives a sense of community. It's comfortable to feel accepted and to share common interests with others.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerwan_Ratchet View Post
    And about evolution, I know a biologist who says that whilst there are some evidence for evolution, there are so many gaps that are missing that scientists merely fill in the blanks with, and that any evidence that's not there has been covered up or brushed over. Besides, 2/3 scientists believe in God or some sort of a creator. I've seen some idiots on other forums actually say that the more educated a person is the less religious they will be.
    Sometimes, you talk out of your ass. This is one of those times. You'd be considerably more credible if you backed up these arguments with actual facts and statistics from a reliable source. Then maybe I'd buy into this stuff. What blanks are being filled in? What's being covered up or brushed over? Have you considered that maybe some things are missing because we haven't been able to prove them yet? Kind of like how god hasn't been proven yet? This is what I'm talking about. People who hate on others because they don't share common ground. Both theories of god and evolution have holes in them (though I could easily argue that religion has larger gaps, that isn't the point). It's just ironic that people come up with these arguments when they could so easily be turned on themselves.

Don't take this as me starting anything here, just my two cents.

deviantART | Gifts | SOTM XXXVI
    Circumstances may change, but circumcisions are forever.

Where The Wind Blows

Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    The Reformation wasn't started by Martin Luther. The Reformation describes a time of enormous social upheaval, which came to be spearheaded by philosophes and theologians like Martin Luther (who came to establish the Lutheran Church)
    Martin Luther didn't desire the establishment of a new church. He wanted to reform the Catholic church from within.

Lutherans are Protestants... what are you on about?

Click for some context for this signature. It rotates the lyric every time it's reloaded!

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by tenacious View Post
    I put Christian. I do believe in a God, but at the same time, I don't exactly care about religion all that much.
    There is evidence to support the people, the places and the events, but the Biblical interpretation reads like a Hollywood movie script.

For example, the timing of the parting of the seas aligns with a historical weather event. It is postulated to be the precursor to a Tsunami where water is sucked out to sea, before being thrust back upon the land.

That makes a hell of a lot more sense than (I'm paraphrasing here) 'And Noah held his arms to the sky and said "Oh good and kind God, please save your children" and the seas were parted'...all a bit convenient and melodramatic if you ask me.

Some of core stories may have happened and the cast of the show almost certainly existed, but they have been given the royal soap opera treatment by the Bible to make the entire episode far grander than it actually was.

Also, If Evolution was true, why haven't the monkeys of today transformed....? (Retarted perhaps....) heheheheheheheh
    We can easily see examples of continued adaptation to environment and diet, which are the two key factors for evolution.

For example, the average human height continues to rise - http://researchnews.osu.edu/archive/medimen.htm, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_h...f_human_height

PSN | Steam | XBL | Wii U | 3DS | iOS | OUYA : ant1th3s1s | Checklist of the Year (2012,2013)

Kiwi Defender

Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    There is evidence to support the people, the places, the events, but the Biblical interpretation is like a Hollywood movie script.

For example, the timing of the parting of the seas aligns with a historical weather event. It is postulated to be the precursor to a Tsunami where water is sucked out to sea, before being thrust back upon the land.

That makes a hell of a lot more sense than (I'm paraphrasing here) 'And Noah held his arms to the sky and said "Oh good and kind God, please save your children" and the seas were parted'...all a bit convenient and melodramatic if you ask me.

Some of core stories may have happened and the cast of the show almost certainly existed, but they have been given the royal soap opera treatment by the Bible to make the entire episode far grander than it actually was.
    Dont' forget that in the end, the Bible lends itself to be understood differently by everyone's different interpretations.

Personally, after reading what I have, I think we're all about to suffer the Third Impact, but that's just me.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

According to the Guinness Book of World Records, Islam is the world’s fastest-growing religion by number of conversions each year: "Although the religion began in Arabia, by 2002 80% of all believers in Islam lived outside the Arab world wikipedia.com (fact)

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post
    Dont' forget that in the end, the Bible lends itself to be understood differently by everyone's different interpretations.

Personally, after reading what I have, I think we're all about to suffer the Third Impact, but that's just me.
    For mine, that's modern Christianity's statement of "errrr...we can't explain all of the bullshit, so we're going to ditch the literal interpretation and you can make of it what you want. Yeah...that'll work." In other words, it's their explanation for not having an explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by MatCauthon View Post
    I love the study of religion and find it quite interesting. I consider myself fairly knowledgeable in theology. The more I learned, the less I believed. In short, I'm a devout atheist.
    Therein lies the problem - Christianity is in a battle for relevance in modern society and has adapted its teachings to suit the populous of the time. We don't believe because a) much of it is simply impossible and b) the rest of it is horseshit. A quick look at Genesis tells you humans supposedly lived for many hundreds of years...WTF? Read it - they didn't mean bloodlines, they meant individuals. The Old Testament is mythology at its finest.

As education levels rose over the centuries, Average Joe began to question the validity of the Bible's fairytales. So the Church took the heat off themselves by rewriting the bible and more recently (the last 3 decades out of thousands of years of Christian religion), allowing for freedom of interpretation, as long as it agreed with their core teaching.

Anyway...that's just my opinion, each to their own. The cult I was born into were very literal when they said we were going to be flown to paradise on Rocs. It wasn't a figure or speech where they actually meant we had all pre-purchased one-way tickets on the only airplane out of Hell, they meant giant fucking eagles. That's the 70's for you

PSN | Steam | XBL | Wii U | 3DS | iOS | OUYA : ant1th3s1s | Checklist of the Year (2012,2013)

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast