EA: We Donít Make Offline Games Anymore, Free-to-Play Model Coming to All Major Franchises

This is a discussion on EA: We Donít Make Offline Games Anymore, Free-to-Play Model Coming to All Major Franchises within the General Chit-Chat forum, part of the Off Topic Chat; EA: We Don’t Make Offline Games Anymore, Free-to-Play Model Coming to All Major Franchises We’ve seen a lot of major ...

The Site Mascot

EA: We Donít Make Offline Games Anymore, Free-to-Play Model Coming to All Major Franchises

EA: We Don’t Make Offline Games Anymore, Free-to-Play Model Coming to All Major Franchises

We’ve seen a lot of major changes begin to take shape during the seventh console generation (Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and Wii), and that’s going to continue in the next generation. With the rise of ‘casual gaming’ and the exponentially-growing number of studios struggling to make ends meet under their current business models, many are starting to warm up to the idea of the free-to-play model that is currently popular on mobile devices. Companies like Crytek have already pledged to go entirely free-to-play in the near future, and EA is eyeing a similar change.
    In a recent interview with Engadget, EA COO Peter Moore outlined some of his company’s plans moving forward. Moore noted that EA has fully embraced online gaming, stating that EA no longer makes games with zero online functionality. This doesn’t mean EA is going “always-online” in the sense of a required internet connection for all games, but rather that the option is always there.
    We don’t ship a game at EA that is offline. It just doesn’t happen. And gamers either want to be connected so their stats and achievements reflect who they are, or you want the full multiplayer experience on top of that. We don’t deliver offline experiences anymore.
    Additionally, Moore pointed to the success of the free-to-play versions of FIFA and Battlefield as examples of where the company is heading in the future. While EA likely won’t universally ditch the $60 price model for AAA titles anytime soon, they do plan to offer free-to-play entries in all of their major franchises going forward. You can catch Moore’s complete interview below.

Something good from EA?

Avater and signature created by my Best Friend and brotha DaRe_xLw
    Aqua's Furry Adventures Through Time and Space.

Kiwi Defender

Sounds good, but I'll wait to hear how that'll work out before passing judgement. Could be amazing, just as it could be a rip-off.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

PRO Member

i don't have the time to watch the video but does this mean they are getting rid of their online pass things they require? I have gamefly and have been turned off getting some of their sports games through it because I wouldn't be able to go online unless I shelled out the money for the pass or bought it.

PRO Member

That does sound good, as long as they do it Tekken Revolution style.

Lvl 7 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by lurch9944 View Post
    i don't have the time to watch the video but does this mean they are getting rid of their online pass things they require? I have gamefly and have been turned off getting some of their sports games through it because I wouldn't be able to go online unless I shelled out the money for the pass or bought it.
    EA got rid of their online passes months ago EA Getting Rid of Online Passes - IGN
    http://www.mrrebates.com?refid=969355

Cause I'm the Wilt Chamberlin of that upper body grip!

Kiwi Defender

Quote Originally Posted by lurch9944 View Post
    They can'd the online passes a few months ago.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

PRO Member

Oh that's very good to know thanks for the heads up.

Banned

Pretty good video. Very interesting stuff.

INTJ

well time to pull the life support

Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post
    Sounds good, but I'll wait to hear how that'll work out before passing judgement. Could be amazing, just as it could be a rip-off.

EA is maximum Gold digger when it comes to this shit.

PVZ2, Real racing 3, Etc.

Rangers F.C

Free to play would just bring micro transactions, they probably done studies that showed the average gamer would end up paying more . I cant help but think of the " we would charge for the bullets " or whatever was said .
    Would like to thank Google and snipping tool for my amazing sig + avatar

I HAVE NEVER IN MY LIFE LEARNED ANYTHING FROM ANY MAN WHO AGREED WITH ME

To be conscious that you are ignorant of the facts is a great step to knowledge

Puns always intended.

One dimension short of being in a 3D game.

Well at least that clears up the reasoning for scrapping the online passes, it was indeed because the money was available in another way rather than making amends with customers, colour me shocked.

F2P and Micro- transactions from EA ( and almost anyone else that tries it on consoles ) will be abhorrent 9 times out of 10, it caters to the impatient, greedy, knobbish and downright ignorant sections of the gaming world, the ones who will buy the yearlies and next to nothing else, the ones who feel they need an E-Penis enlargement on day one of a Multiplayer title and the ones who can't be bothered to put any real effort in to unlocking things but want them anyway. It's wonderful for them but takes another sliver of joy out of the guy or gal who genuinely have a passion for videogames.

Lvl 9 - Gold

Microtransactions ahoy!

Not really interested in free to play games very much because of this whole idea.

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Waystedyou View Post
    Microtransactions ahoy!

Not really interested in free to play games very much because of this whole idea.
    only people who have done it right are valve with dota 2 (Everything gameplay related is not bought at all.)

Its plugged into the wall

I don't see this ending well. For what I've seen, EA (and the developers working for EA) does not have a very good grasp, understanding or talent on what goes into microtransactions. F2P games can work. It's been done well many times before, in a big variety of genres, but it's the understanding of why those things work. They work because they enhance an experience to an already good game. F2P should punish or push a gamer who hasn't payed for items, but they should persuade them to buy more by giving them a bigger and better experience by doing so. Pay to win scenarios is simply not working. It becomes less about skill and more about the amount of money in your wallet. That turns off the starting players and the "poorer" players, so there is only the "rich" players left. I just don't see EA handling this well. I hope that they prove me wrong, but I don't think they will.

Sig made by Beam. Platbar by Thunder.

Sig made by Beam.
    Platbar made by Thunder.

Lvl 9 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    only people who have done it right are valve with dota 2 (Everything gameplay related is not bought at all.)
    While there are definitely exceptions to the rule, this is EA after all so my hopes in this case aren't to high of anything remotely worthwhile coming from it.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

free to play sux, most online games are free to play but they charge for the basic stuff for you to continue playing so the words free to play aren't what they seem. more like free to play / pay to win. and the person with the biggest credit card will clearly becaome the biggest player sounds right up ea street when there clearly only intrested in money. now makes sense why they dropped the online pass because they had another evil idea up there sleeve. the only thing fun about this "free to play" will be how long it takes them to ditch this idea lol

that guys also mentions world class games what ea game is world class?

Lvl 3 - Bronze

May have nothing to do with the topic, but I had to ask: Doesn't that pic of Peter Moore up top look like a "human" version of Satan, without the visible iconic horns?
    Guy looks like the devil, that's all I'm saying...

Rangers F.C

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    I would imagine if done properly it could be good, my stance is to never use/play anything that is free to play, its not a road I want to go down . EA and others are blood sucking scumbags, sure they make great games but look at the amount of ways they have tried to bankrupt their customers, the Sims, its a half decent game to start with but you have to buy all DLC's and almost everything in the game to get the true experience, free to play games, I can only wonder what that will bring......................... error.................... you have been playing for 5 mins without a purchase, you now have 98% less health and weapon damage is reduced by 200%
    Would like to thank Google and snipping tool for my amazing sig + avatar

I HAVE NEVER IN MY LIFE LEARNED ANYTHING FROM ANY MAN WHO AGREED WITH ME

To be conscious that you are ignorant of the facts is a great step to knowledge

Lvl 6 - Silver

Personally I hate F2P, it just never feels like you get the entire game, and I don't think that EA are the company to convince me otherwise! Just have to wait and see.

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by Asatruar777 View Post
    May have nothing to do with the topic, but I had to ask: Doesn't that pic of Peter Moore up top look like a "human" version of Satan, without the visible iconic horns?
    Guy looks like the devil, that's all I'm saying...
    Thought the exact same thing the second I looked at it, at least im not the only one who thought that.

As for free to play, Its not really my thing. Like others have said its just not a full experience so I dont like it. Rather pay 60$ to get a complete game although the last few years only a couple games have really felt complete.