Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is it better for buy retail game or downloadable game?

This is a discussion on Is it better for buy retail game or downloadable game? within the General Chit-Chat forum, part of the Off Topic Chat; It is most difficult about the PSN gamers make their own choices to buy the retail games from local stores ...

PRO Trophy Hunter

Is it better for buy retail game or downloadable game?

It is most difficult about the PSN gamers make their own choices to buy the retail games from local stores like GameStop, Best Buy, and Wal Mart or the downloadable games from the PlayStation store. Sometime some of the retail games are pre-owned, their discs are dirty and it makes slow loading, game crash, and connection problem. New retail games cost more like $60 to $30 and pre-owned retail games cost about $40 to $0.99, why do some of worthless pre-owned games’ prices cost $1.99 to $0.99? Because their games’ servers were shut down like Madden 10 and other oldest EA sport games. Do you think it is better for buy downloadable games at the PlayStation store? Oh, well, I tell you five things;

First thing: If you want preorder downloadable game in your PS3 but it waste your PS3’s memory spaces if you don’t finish with other downloadable games for earn platinum trophy or make 100% trophy progress. What if you hate the game or you make your own mistake by yourself for buy bad game? The PlayStation store has no refund. When you earn platinum trophy from one of the downloadable game then you delete that game for download another downloadable game in your PS3 if it need more spaces for more downloadable game, but some of the downloadable games have new update for DLC trophies, do you want re-download for downloadable game that you already earned platinum trophy? But what if you don’t have enough space for that first downloadable game? You did delete one of them then replaced it for another downloadable game.

Second thing: Why do the gamers rushing to preorder games before they launch? I believe most of the trophy hunters want be first on the game leaderboard for get platinum trophy first. I don’t care about wanna-be-first for get platinum trophy nor make 100% trophy progress. The new expensive games make you waste your money. Sometime PlayStation stores and some of local stores discount the games’ prices for weekly deals then it is your best chance to buy it before weekly deals expire and it save your money.

Third thing: Do you wish you want free downloadable games? It is best for become PlayStation Plus membership then you can get any free games. Make sure check every games’ ratings for best or worse on the internet, if one of the game is worse or good then one day it will be free game in only PlayStation Plus. I know it is late to get free game with online games for boosting if there’s not much trophy boosters boost in there.

Fourth thing; you know, Warhawk and Endwar downloadable games cost $30 to $20 at PlayStation store. At GameStop, both games cost less than about $3 then you can buy it and it save your money.

Fifth thing; Dear trophy boosters, after you read my thread, “Is it important for own least two PS3 consoles?”. I got an idea about buy downloadable games then I downloaded them in my 2 PS3s, if anyone can’t help you for boosting in 1v1 to get online trophies, you can kill your dummy for kill counts and win matches, it is easy and quick way than hard and long way. You can’t spend any downloadable or retail games with expensive prices. Just wait for when the games get discounted or older games’ prices get reduce then buy it.

For myself, I don’t care if I choose for buy most downloadable or retail games including discounted and whichever games I can try earn platinum trophy or make 100% trophy progress. I have PlayStation Plus membership for 1 year and I never miss to get free games and add-ons every weeks and buy some stuffs with discounted before it expires. I tell you about my story is choose to buy between of downloadable and retail games;

Aliens: Colonial Marines;
    After that retail game release, I earned platinum trophy on it then I went to GameStop for traded it for get different game. When its new add-on, “Stasis Interrupted” come out, I tried get that retail game back but I didn’t have enough money, I paid off my bills and bought some important stuffs than games. I was surprised about PlayStation Plus discounted that game’s price for $8, I purchased it then I made 100% trophy progress of that game.

MAG;
    I bought the pre-owned retail game, I tried get in Interdiction and Escalation matches, it took me long time to join, what’s wrong with that game? Because its disc has scratches and dirty then I went to GameStop for exchanged it to get $$$ PSN card for buy downloadable game. When I played that downloadable game, I finally joined in both matches then I earned all of dlc trophies.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale;
    I decided for not buy retail game because I was busy for boosting or trophy hunting with other games, I went to PS store, that game has been discounted for $19.99 then I bought it and I didn’t know about its bundles for download in PS3 and PS Vita after I purchased. I also downloaded that game in my 2 PS3s for earn online trophies without boosting.

Resident Evil 6;
    I bought the retail game but it was bad game then I sold it at GameStop. Later, PS store discounted that downloadable game’s price for $19.99. I had no choice for purchase that downloadable game including all of its add ons then downloaded in my 2 PS3s, I earned all of dlc trophies without boosting, I always bring my dummy in every mode like Siege and Survivor for win matches and kill counts like I said. After I got all of dlc trophies, I finally earned platinum trophy on that game without boosting. I made proud of myself for that.

My Checklist - Trophy Hunting Missions [CLICK THIS BANNER] Checklist Updated:
    Posted Mission Failed
    8/24/14

Posted New Mission
    and Weeky Report
    8/31/14

Posted My Recent Purchase
    and Weeky Report
    9/6/14

Lvl 3 - Bronze

It appears a lot of thought was put into this beautiful post.

Lvl 7 - Gold

Whenever I buy a pre owned game I ask the dude to show me the disc, I mean it's an used game you should check if there's any damage. I'd rather buy retail, unless PS Store has a great deal like Max Payne 3 a while ago. You can't go wrong with retail. By the way congrats there's only one mistake in the topic of your thread you are making progress. Are you even enjoying your games? All you talk about is boosting. Using two PS3s to get trophies thats just pathetic.
    Awesome Sig by ERICVOLTAGE

illegal in 9 countries

I prefer digital for the same reason Abel - to self-boost using 2 PS3s. That's the theory at least...in practice, I don't care enough about trophies to do it.

As long as digital is the same price or cheaper than retail discs, I'll buy digital 9 times out of 10. Otherwise it's just another box taking up room on already overcrowded DVD racks.

PSN | Steam | XBL | Wii U | 3DS | iOS | OUYA : ant1th3s1s | Checklist of the Year (2012,2013)

★ Extra Astronomical ★

Until recently I strongly preferred disc-based games, but it's just so nice to not have to get up and change the disc if I want to play something else. On my vita it's even more fulfilling; the only cartridge I own is a game from another region.

The Playboy Wikipedia

Tl;Dr.

But I will say this - I prefer to buy an actual copy of the game. Always have, always will. I think the only downloaded games I have on my PS3 are Infamous and LittleBigPlanet (which I got for free from the hacking), Tekken Revolution (which was free), and a few PS1 games. Plus, I like the freebies that I get from places like EB Games when I preorder a copy. Also, I dunno why, but I prefer to own a brand new copy of a game, instead of preowned.
    Amanda Cerny - Playboy's Miss October 2011

Credit to Saul (from another site) for the sig!

Lvl 1 - Bronze

I would have to say retail, as you have to worry about the space on your PS3.

Lvl 4 - Silver

I buy retail so I can sell the games on amazon to make a decent amount of my money back after I finish the game. That and I also like the concept of having a physical item instead of just having the data stored in the PS3.

Needs More Rum

I prefer buying retail for a lot of reasons but mostly it's less space used on the HDD and I don't have to wait for it to download even though that's usually only an hour or so.

Awesomely awesome sig by Beam
    The Local Drunk's Experience With Trophies

Lvl 7 - Gold

I sometimes buy games day one because I believe and want to support franchise I like and I'm a fan of. I couldn't care less about leaderboards that are flooded with hackers anyway.
    Awesome Sig by ERICVOLTAGE

The Bushiest Pig

Quote Originally Posted by ScaryAbel210 View Post
    MAG;
    I bought the pre-owned retail game, I tried get in Interdiction and Escalation matches, it took me long time to join, what’s wrong with that game? Because its disc has scratches and dirty then I went to GameStop for exchanged it to get $$$ PSN card for buy downloadable game. When I played that downloadable game, I finally joined in both matches then I earned all of dlc trophies.
    It took you long to join because A. it's practically dead B. take the few thousand people and divide them across time zones, it explains a lot and C. since it is dead, barely anyone plays the DLC.
    1st Place - VITA Trophy Guide of the Year, 2012 - Uncharted: Golden Abyss

2nd Place - CB Personality of the Year, 2011

2nd Place - DLC Trophy Guide of the Year, 2011 - Call of Duty: Black Ops Rezurrection

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Its really 50/50 for me cause:
    Retail:
    +I buy from GameStop and I like most of the preorder bonuses
    +I like to collect the games
    -I have to hope they have the game at my local shop or wait til I have time to go to another shop to get it.

Digital:
    + instant buy, no need to go out of my house to get it
    + no risk of losing/disc getting stolen
    - PS3 HDD ain't the biggest and I need space (120GB since Dec 2010)
    - I don't trust the internet w/ my account on it, risking it might get hacked and I lose all my stuff, still Ive put a fair amount of cash on it, I don't buy on just 1 account just in case.
    I am... a Ghoul!

PRO Member

I like both but I think I have more digital, digital is more convenient though sometimes cheaper and can be use for 2 ps3, disc is good as we'll for collection and can be traded or sold later

ToQ Rokugou

im stuck down the middle for this one, on 1 side I would rather have the disc so if I like it I can lend it to a friend also I don't have to take up my HDD space when I need it for other games or saves ect. on the other side having the digital is nice cause I tend to find the loading times are a tad bit shorter if the game is already on the HDD but some of the better titles can take upwards from 7 to 16 or more GB per game, its really a tough call but price wise its almost always going to be cheaper getting the disc copy since the PSN usually is way too overpriced on the Disc based games for my pocket book to handle

LOVER OF BIOPUNK !!!!

I prefer retail not only for space on hdd but also it can be traded for newer games.
    Thanks to Beam for the awesome avy & sig.

#cutformesa

Retail all the way. Aside from having a relatively small HDD I just like to have the physical case. If it's a small €10 game from the ps store then fine, I can deal with that, but I'm not going to spend €40 on something to exist virtually that I have to delete in a few weeks to make room for a new game. I much rather just have it on my shelf where I can take it down and put it back when needed.

- PS3T OG -
    All Hail The Eyepat
    "If I find out that LeeMcD slags my good name off to anyone else I will personally track him down and teach the little puff a lesson." - LEE200

Banned

I prefer to buy used.

- It's one of the cheaper methods of buying.
    - There's the option for some resale value.
    - There's the option to share.
    - There's no time limit as to when I can start/finish it (like a PS+ membership expiry/renewal date).
    - It takes up very little hard drive space.
    - It supports local business.
    - It's a way to fight giant corporations' greed.
    - It provides resistance against the direction players are being forced in, when it comes to how purchases are made (everything is smaller, no physical product, digital, free-2-play, micro transactions, DLC heavy etc).

Buying used wins in a landslide.

PRO Member

I will always buy new if I like the company developing it and want to support it. But on the other hand, prices for new games that have been out for years are ridiculous, So I buy used (Example, at Gamestop Uncharted 2 is 7.99 on PS store its 30.00). If I like the used game I will buy the DLC via the PS store so I can support the game devs that way.

Signature made by PixieOfDarkness | GDT bar by djunglist

Lvl 7 - Gold

Retail. I would rather have the games take up 0 - 3 gigs of HDD space than 10+ gigs. Wish I had a terabyte instead of 160.
    Avy created by Beam and kid420247

Lvl 6 - Silver

I prefer to get games day one that I really want(Kingdom Hearts), haven't bought a game other then that since P3. I usually buy retail over digital only cause I like to collect games. Although I do own a lot of digital games due to them being free from PSN+, cheaper then retail, or the only format that I can get.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast