This is a discussion on Death by soda within the General Chit-Chat forum, part of the Off Topic Chat; (NEWSER) – A husband and wife in Tennessee are accused of making their 5-year-old daughter drink excessive amounts of grape ...
(NEWSER) – A husband and wife in Tennessee are accused of making their 5-year-old daughter drink excessive amounts of grape soda and water as punishment—so much so that the girl died as a result, reports the Times-News of Kingsport. Randall Vaughn, 41, and Mary Vaughn, 58, are charged with first-degree murder, two counts of aggravated child neglect, and aggravated child abuse. They could face the death penalty in the death of Alexa Linboom, who is Randall Vaughn's biological daughter, reports WBIR.
Police say the couple decided to punish the girl after she drank one of her step-mother's grape sodas. They allegedly made her drink more than two liters of soda and water in an hour or two, reports AP. The couple brought the girl to the hospital after she showed signs of distress, but she died two days later. The volume of liquid had overwhelmed her system and caused serious brain damage, says her autopsy. Alexa had moved to Tennessee to live with her father about three months ago, reportedly because of neglect at her previous home.
I thought a simple time out would have sufficed but.. I wanted to make her feel like her opinion mattered too.
And fuck hip-hop, I got sick pot in zip locks I get from stoners in Cali.. Rockin flip flops. ________________________
.iS. Member of the Month - 02/2010
The only possible justice here is for the father to die from going to jail and having too much Rape soda. And Da_Man, please don't say things like that. We are not all dumb, just everyone south of the Mason-Dixon line bro.
Don't confuse this as me condoning this punishment, but doesn't two liters of soda in an hour or two not sound like *that* much? I mean, can you imagine how many gamers have probably downed that much soda in the first few hours of some World of Warcraft marathon session? It's not like milk where it's common knowledge that your body rejects it after drinking a hefty amount.
I can see how someone might not realize it could kill a kid.
That said, it sounds like the poor girl didn't stand a chance. Everyone in charge of raising her apparently didn't know anything about how to raise kids.