Games I could never wrap my head around

This is a discussion on Games I could never wrap my head around within the General Chit-Chat forum, part of the Off Topic Chat; First of this is my first thread in years lol (been busy with some non profit work and actual work ...

Lvl 5 - Silver

Games I could never wrap my head around

First of this is my first thread in years lol (been busy with some non profit work and actual work and haven't been getting enough time to do multiple things)

So yeah I got my hands on Shadow of the Colossus for the PS3 a while back, didn't get to play it back when it came out on the PS2 and was really excited when I found it so I ended up buying it. When I got home I played it for 2 hours and I was shock at how bad the game actually was. Now I get that its suppose to be some form of art work that pulls the on players emotions but it never got that far, the huge empty world just cupied by 16 boss monsters (6 of which I defeated in my 2 hours of play) and with a story that at the time I got bored with it and stop playing was none existed. Now the thing I don't get is why this game has such a huge cult like following?

Another game that I never really got into has to be Darksiders, it wasn't as fun as GoW and the cool thing it had (the horse) came in to play way to late in the game. I honestly don't know why I even bought it because I knew from the online reviews I didn't like the game but guess I had to give it a try before I could say I didn't like it. This game to seems to have a serious fan base which just makes me wonder why they love the game and I don't

Anyways just my 2 cents on this
    Annoying PS3T.com members since March 2010

Lvl 3 - Bronze

In regards to Shadow of the Colossus,

I found it to be a simple game when I first played it like you but that was years ago when I was a kiddie. I played it again, got into it, and I loved it from then on. 16 major boss fights in a huge empty world. That kind of atmosphere seemed bland at first but after I fought every colossus, found the lizards and fruit, played the time attack mode, and played on hard, I found it to be one of my favorite games.

I don't know of another game like it but it is undoubtedly unique. The story itself is subtle but it adds to the mystical feeling of the game. An ancient spirit is banished to and sealed in an ancient land and its power is split into 16 different colossi beings. Just traveling from each fight to another, you see so much of this world. Each colossi is in a unique geographical area and they are the arena for the fight you have with them.

The makers created this game with the Keep It Simple Stupid rule intact. You only fight 16 bosses throughout the whole game. There are some other little side things to do, but yes, that is the whole premise of the game. The colossi make you feel tiny compared to them and that adds to the atmosphere. I love how the makers scaled the colossi compared to the player.

I actually can't wait to get it for PS3 and go for the for it.

You may just find your interests lie in more exciting games. I will give you this, Shadow of the Colossus is more about the experience than the gameplay.

"No miré lo sabio del presente coso para disipar la calma es indeleble"

"Do not look to the wisdom of this. Sew to dissipate. Calm is indelible."

Puns always intended.

One dimension short of being in a 3D game.

Firstly, welcome back, good topic to return on.

I think SOTC has such a cult following for a couple of reasons.

The unique selling point of each colossus being a level in its own right means the gameworld, however sparse, is the hub rather than the game itself. The story is simple yet mysterious, leaving you a simple objective that you begin to call into question the further you go. Why should these beasts have to die for your own selfish means?

It is not for everyone, that was true at release, and still the case now. Personally speaking, the biggest criticism I would lay at its door is the controls are a little clunky by modern standards.

It's difficult, coming to a 'classic' years after it was released doesn't work as well in this medium as it does in film, music or books. There is every chance you will have played other games that have copied elements of them (Half-Life 2 for instance, to a newcomer, will look and play quite plainly now as every shooter going has nicked all its ideas since) or the game was simply a snapshot in time, be it graphically or mechanically. I can't revisit the original Driver for example because it looks and plays like a pudle of dog puke now.

As for Darksiders, it's more Zelda than God of War, so if you went in expecting a full-on slash 'em up, I can understand your disappointment there.

Lvl 5 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Larrydavidsavatar View Post
    Firstly, welcome back, good topic to return on.

I think SOTC has such a cult following for a couple of reasons.

The unique selling point of each colossus being a level in its own right means the gameworld, however sparse, is the hub rather than the game itself. The story is simple yet mysterious, leaving you a simple objective that you begin to call into question the further you go. Why should these beasts have to die for your own selfish means?

It is not for everyone, that was true at release, and still the case now. Personally speaking, the biggest criticism I would lay at its door is the controls are a little clunky by modern standards.

It's difficult, coming to a 'classic' years after it was released doesn't work as well in this medium as it does in film, music or books. There is every chance you will have played other games that have copied elements of them (Half-Life 2 for instance, to a newcomer, will look and play quite plainly now as every shooter going has nicked all its ideas since) or the game was simply a snapshot in time, be it graphically or mechanically. I can't revisit the original Driver for example because it looks and plays like a pudle of dog puke now.

As for Darksiders, it's more Zelda than God of War, so if you went in expecting a full-on slash 'em up, I can understand your disappointment there.
    Actually the controls was one of the biggest things of SoTC I didn't really like, especially when fighting that massive bird colossus which proved to be tricky thanks to the controls. Also another thing was the fact that the game started to become less fun with each colossus and more about ride
    from point A to point B, kill boss at point B, warp back to point A, repeat the process. When a game starts to feel more like a chore than an actual escape from reality I tend to stop playing it, now I might just pick up SoTC just to finish it.

And I actually never played Zelda so that makes sense, I was expecting Darksiders to be about a bad ass starting the apocalypses but it ended up being less apocalypses starting more prove you didn't do it (or something like that as I haven't played it in years so might have the story mixed up)

La Mano de Dios

I personally enjoyed SoTC in PS2 and consider it a classic, although I'm not entirely in the Colossology

That's the reason why I bought it back for PS3, to enjoy fighting colossi again, then I realized that they ported the European Version, which is why it's so difficult to maintain balance at times and it adds a little more difficulty to the game. If a colossi makes the most single movement, you crumble; even if it only looks at you, you crumble... lol...

Platinum Procrastinator

I still haven't played SOTC but I personally thought that Darksiders was a lot better than any of the God of Wars. I have however, played many Zelda games and think Kratos is a one dimensional bland character who only runs around yelling at people.
    Like TV shows, join the Small Screen Gossip group!

Lvl 5 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Denaratuck View Post
    I still haven't played SOTC but I personally thought that Darksiders was a lot better than any of the God of Wars. I have however, played many Zelda games and think Kratos is a one dimensional bland character who only runs around yelling at people.
    Hehe I actually think Kratos is a bad ass, I remember the boss fight with Cronos which was probably the biggest boss I have ever fought in any game at that time. War felt more like I was playing with a sulking child (lol that sounds so wrong ) then the incarnation of War, the only memorable fight I had with War was when I was fighting Stygian and not because it was epic because that was the level where you got Ruin which was the thing I loved of this game.

INTJ

SOTC was boring for me once i realized i was doing the same exact thing 16 times in a row with minor variations

Lvl 5 - Silver

So I finally sat down and finished SotC and I can honestly say that I did quit the game a bit to early and that after colossus 6 there where many epic colossus battles. But the last colossus battle just pissed me off, simply because it was a fight that highlighted every terrible element of the game (mainly its poor controls and camera angles). Also the ending didn't really clear up any of the questions I had (hell it added more even more questions). The fact is that SotC falls far short from being a great game as it has very little story development and nothing to really motivate the player to want to complete it. If this game ever ends up getting a complete remake I hope the developers gives the story a complete overhaul giving it a descent plot that properly explains what happened to the woman on the altar and what her relation is to the wanderer and maybe even add some lore for all the colossi that would make the battles more meaning full