Conspiracy: Secret Game Journalist Mailing List Exposed

This is a discussion on Conspiracy: Secret Game Journalist Mailing List Exposed within the General Chit-Chat forum, part of the Off Topic Chat; Exposed: The Secret Mailing List of the Gaming Journalism Elite Several prominent gaming journalists across America are part of a ...

INTJ

Conspiracy: Secret Game Journalist Mailing List Exposed

Exposed: The Secret Mailing List of the Gaming Journalism Elite

Several prominent gaming journalists across America are part of a secret mailing list on which they discuss what to cover, what to ignore, and what approach their coverage should take to breaking news, Breitbart can reveal.

Emails seen by Breitbart from August of this year show Kyle Orland, a senior gaming editor at Ars Technica, discussing the Zoe Quinn scandal. He wrote: "I don't want to in essence reward the jerks doing this by giving their 'issue' any attention at all ... I'm not even going to give the bullshit 'journalism ethics' excuse for these attacks the time of day."

Orland continued: "I would LOVE to use my platform to reproach this kind of behavior... but that would go against Quinn's valid and understandable desire not to have this personal matter publicized by the media... Maybe we should just stick to Twitter to boost the signal on this one, rather than our 'front pages.'"

"Maybe we should get a public letter of support going around decrying these kinds of personal attacks, signed by as many sympathetic journalists/developers as we can," he wrote. "Maybe we should just use this as an excuse to give more attention to her work... I know I've been meaning to review Depression Quest since its Steam release."

The sight of journalists not only engaging in activism on behalf of their reporting subjects but also discouraging other reporters and editors from covering stories of interest to their readers will be disturbing to many in the industry, who have long suspected a persistent bias and unusual levels of co-operation and co-ordination from senior journalists.

Polygon editor Ben Kuchera is seen on the list offering support to Quinn and chiding other writers for not actively doing the same.

In emails seen by Breitbart, Ben Kuchera repeatedly pressures other journalists and editors to take down material on their websites that is critical of Zoe Quinn and to close down debate about her role in the video games industry by removing comments and forum posts by members of the public asking questions about journalistic propriety.
    The GameJournoPros emails appear to confirm widely-held suspicions that video game journalists operate with one voice and collude on major issues to distort coverage of ethics violations and to support figures to whom they are politically sympathetic.

This revelation echoes the 2010 JournoList scandal, in which liberal reporters were caught colluding and smearing their ideological opponents in a private mailing list set up by Ezra Klein, now the editor-in-chief of Vox.com. The exposure of JournoList cost Washington Post reporter David Weigel his job, after Weigel was seen mocking conservative figures on whom he also reported in the pages of the Post.

Readers with knowledge of the GameJournoPros list and in particular its membership are strongly encouraged to contact us with what they know.

This is not a Scandal or a Cover-up they said.

and also, from the guy who published the article

https://twitter.com/Nero/status/512353477628940290

A word of caution to list members: I've seen a lot more than we've published so far. So be careful with those denials. #GamerGate

Last edited by Ps360; 2 Weeks Ago at 05:30 PM.

The _ is silent.

This is very uninteresting. Who even cares?

Sig and Avatar by SideEffect

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by KILLER_ View Post
    This is very uninteresting. Who even cares?
    You don't care who controls the flow of information in gaming?

Go play MGS2 and come back to me. infact lets just pass sopa while we are at it.

The _ is silent.

No I don't care. I just play games and not worry about pointless shit like this. If you're not an employee in the gaming/journalism industry this is dumb

Sig and Avatar by SideEffect

INTJ

No I don't care. I just play games and not worry about pointless shit like this. If you're not an employee in the gaming/journalism industry this is dumb
    This involves the entire gaming industry

including consumers, because your being lied to and the truth is being hidden from you. This is major industry damaging.

Lvl 8 - Gold

drugs r bad mmm k....

Lvl 8 - Gold

I've been saying this sorta shit for years and each and every time I've been attacked for my "conspiracy theories".

I wonder if this'd get dusted over as some conspiracy theory.

Game journalism has been and always will be a massive fucking joke, take website like Kotaku for instance, read any one of Patricia's articles on there I fucking dare you. Polygon is another...

The only decent site I've seen so far is GiantBomb.

Kiwi Defender

I honestly don't give a rat's ass, for "gaming journalism" has and will always be awful. There's a few good things here and there, but it's mostly circle-jerking around AAA or Indie games and nothing more, not to mention most of the so-called gaming "journalists" hardly know what journalism is all about, let alone how to properly write an article.

The only reason this kind of crap is worth following is to see whether "gaming journalism" finally bites the dust or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Da_Man-023 View Post
    drugs r bad mmm k....
    Conspiracies are bad, mmm okkk....?

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Word is Bond

Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post
    The only reason this kind of crap is worth following is to see whether "gaming journalism" finally bites the dust or not.
    If there's one thing I've learned, it's that people will write about anything.

Kiwi Defender

Quote Originally Posted by Helyx View Post
    If there's one thing I've learned, it's that people will write about anything.
    Well, that goes without saying. One quick glance at any half-assed site makes you realized that ugly truth lol.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

JINTRAy

You can only guess where I am...my mother's basement

Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post
    I honestly don't give a rat's ass, for "gaming journalism" has and will always be awful. There's a few good things here and there, but it's mostly circle-jerking around AAA or Indie games and nothing more, not to mention most of the so-called gaming "journalists" hardly know what journalism is all about, let alone how to properly write an article.

\

Same. I never cared at all what others wrote about. I'd rather just play yanno?

|
    Sig - Initial D - Mazda RX-7 (FC3S)|
    |Sig by Smashguy | GDT bar by
    djunglist|
    |Avy - Daft Punk returns|

Thanks to GDT for hosting awesome competitions!

Lvl 1 - Bronze

“Everyone loves a witch hunt as long as it's someone else's witch being hunted.”

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by Oxymoron28 View Post
    I've been saying this sorta shit for years and each and every time I've been attacked for my "conspiracy theories".

I wonder if this'd get dusted over as some conspiracy theory.

Game journalism has been and always will be a massive fucking joke, take website like Kotaku for instance, read any one of Patricia's articles on there I fucking dare you. Polygon is another...

The only decent site I've seen so far is GiantBomb.
    “The splinter in your eye is the best magnifying-glass available.”

Roo Commander

^ Sums it up for me

Awesomely awesome sig by Beam
    The Local Drunk's Experience With Trophies