Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Some people who won vita didn't actually win, Threatened not to say bad things about the contest

This is a discussion on Some people who won vita didn't actually win, Threatened not to say bad things about the contest within the General PS Vita Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; This Taco Bell PlayStation Vita Contest Seems A Little Weird [UPDATE] Taco Bell is giving PlayStation Vitas to customers every ...

INTJ

Some people who won vita didn't actually win, Threatened not to say bad things about the contest

This Taco Bell PlayStation Vita Contest Seems A Little Weird [UPDATE]

Taco Bell is giving PlayStation Vitas to customers every 15 minutes — except when it isn't. Over the past few weeks, the fast food chain has been running a promotional contest for Sony's upcoming handheld system. Customers can take codes found on the "Taco Bell $5 Buck Box" and enter them in a submission form on the corporation's website. If you have a winning code, you get a Vita.

Or so everybody thought. Kotaku has been contacted by several customers who say Taco Bell informed them that they won the contest on January 30 (through the page captured above this post), but never followed through. They were told to expect a follow-up by e-mail or snail-mail within 2-3 days to verify that they had won. The follow-up didn't come.

The affected customers have formed a Facebook group to unite and share their woes. Customers report contacting both Taco Bell and its partner on the contest, a marketing company called Ventura Associates. Neither corporation seemed to be listening.

"I received no response, so I began the process of calling Taco Bell/Ventura Associates for info, where I kept being told to wait," customer Dan Hill told me in an e-mail.

Hill forwarded me an e-mail exchange he says he had with Ventura's Vanessa Gross on February 2.
    "We have to wait 2-3 days to receive a list of winners, as that is the time it takes to process the hundreds of submissions we receive each day," Gross told Hill, according to the exchanged. "Thanks for your patience."
    On February 8, Hill says Gross wrote to him again with this form response:
    Dear Consumer,

Thank you for your e-mail. We are in the process of researching your inquiry. Someone will respond to you as soon as possible.
    If you believe you are a winner, and have not received a notification within 3-4 days of claiming, please respond to this e-mail with the following information:
    ∑ Name
    ∑ E-mail
    ∑ Method and Date of entry
    ∑ code
    Thank you for your interest in the Unlock the Box Instant Win Game and Challenge, sponsored by Taco Bell.
    "I have tried two or three times to contact them, once I was reasonably sure that a first-class letter could have made it to central Florida by now, through their Facebook page and e-mail," said James Harrod, another affected customer, in an e-mail to Kotaku. "Others have used Taco Bell's helpline to little effect, or the Sony PlayStation Blog."

Other customers have taken to the Facebook page to say they have received verification e-mails from Taco Bell. Customer Kevin Famuyiro says he won last Sunday, then received the e-mail this morning. As of right now, the issue seems to only be affecting contestants who won on January 30.

In a statement to Kotaku this afternoon, Taco Bell said the following:

The Unlock the Box promotion has been tremendously popular with consumers who want to get their hands on a Sony Vita but unfortunately a small group of people have tried to game the system. Winning confirmation codes can be verified by contacting [email protected] or calling (855) 255-1746.
    If you call (855) 255-1746, you get a message saying that the company's voicemail box is full. Taco Bell did not elaborate who it thought was gaming its system or how.

Further adding to the weirdness of this whole situation is the fact that anybody can see this winning screen. As of Friday, February 10, all you have to do is click this URL to be taken to a screen that says "Congratulations! You won!" So either I've just won several new Vitas or something's a little bit off with this contest.

Update: In the Facebook group, several contestants are now reporting that they have received the following e-mail from Taco Bell:
    We have received your inquiry and determined that you are not a valid winner. This was determined by checking the information (i.e. code, email address, cell phone, name, etc.) you gave us with your inquiry to the data in our system's records.

Please note that ANY ATTEMPT TO UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THIS PROMOTION AND SWEEPSTAKES IS A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS AND WE RESERVE THE RIGHT TO SEEK DAMAGES FOR SUCH ACTIONS TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW.

The decisions of the judges are final.
    We've reached out to Ventura Associates and we've asked Taco Bell to elaborate on its comments. We'll continue to update if we hear more information.

I told ya bro, i told you about taco bell

Also enjoy your free "I won a shitty contest" simulator:

http://unlock.tacobell.com/unlock-confirmation

Retired TGT Member

LOLOLOL I just saw the exact same thing.

Winner: "I won".

Taco Bell: "........"

Winner: "Hey Taco Bell, I won! I have the code"

Taco Bell: "We're looking into it"

Winner: "No seriously, I won"

Taco Bell: "You did not win, we determined your entry was invalid. DO NOT FUCK WITH US WE WILL CUT YOU"

Winner: "Uhhh...Mom? HELP!!!"

The only sane person here

I don't get your point ps360

Lvl 6 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by TwilightSparkle View Post
    The point might be that taco bell is pretty shit. Just a guess though.

Kiwi Defender

Well, that's pretty lame! Now we'll just have to wait and see whether Taco Bell will get away with this cowfeces or have to pay for lying to their consumers.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Buy my book, Alteration

TROLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Oh Taco Bell, you.

Sig by DaRe
    Click the sig and be whisked away to my checklist (now with updates!)! Or click here to visit my YouTube channel!
    Author of Alteration, now available!

Retired TGT Member

Quote Originally Posted by TwilightSparkle View Post
    It's not his point, it's the article's point.

Here's a brief summary: Taco Bell is having some issues keeping their end of the bargain, and it makes them look bad. Future compensation may ensue.

The Deathly Rhythm

I hate sweepstakes like this..I always lose, I bought five of them and didn't win for either one, but my friend just got one and he won..that sucks!!!!
    Avy and Sig made by the awesome DaRe_xLw

Feel free to add me: New PSN ID AzureBlaze99

Resident PHD

Did Wonka take over Taco Bell?

I am going to hazard a guess that Sony (or any company) is going to think long and hard before doing another contest with Taco Bell (or KFC/Pizza Hut)

AWESOME SIG AND AVY BY ALISON CHECK OUT HER WORK HERE

Retired TGT Member

Quote Originally Posted by dr_mayus View Post
    Did Wonka take over Taco Bell?

I am going to hazard a guess that Sony (or any company) is going to think long and hard before doing another contest with Taco Bell (or KFC/Pizza Hut)
    Still a creepy, creepy man.

No more Sony contests at my local KenTaco Hut

PRO Member

I submitted a code thru text message and never got a response. I tried a second time and never got a follow-up text again. Then I submit it online and it says the code's already been played.

My luck, I just won and never got the confirmation text. Darn it all to Hades!!!
    My PS3 Plats:
    Assassin's Creed II, Batman: Arkham Asylum, Beyond: Two Souls, God of War, God of War II, Heavy
    Rain, ICO, inFAMOUS, inFAMOUS 2, L.A. Noire, Prince of Persia, Prince of Persia: The Forgotten
    Sands, Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time, Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus, Sly 2:
    Band of Thieves, Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, Uncharted 2: Among Thieves,
    Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception, The Walking Dead: Season One
    My PS4 Plats:
    Apotheon, Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag, inFAMOUS: Second Son, Murdered: Soul Suspect

Lvl 8 - Gold

Taco Bell: Fake meat and fake contests. yaaaaaaaaaaaaay

Lvl 4 - Silver

holy fuck, are you telling me i wasted $15 on not even close to good food for this? i just keep getting an error, but with that article, i should slap these box lids across their faces...*sigh-eth* but i'm too lazy for that...

and now that i think about it more, didn't i hear about another contest screwed by Taco Bell too? whoever scrounges that up deserves a gold star of excellence
    Add me if you want (soulless94), as long as you don't randomly delete me for no reason
    If I randomly add you, it's because you're awesome...wanted an answer? There it is. =]
    -----
    Cops don't protect against mugging, abuse, or grand theft. I thought you should know how great your "protectors" are.
    -----
    Myanimelist - Ryxia6392

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Taco Bell you suck for cheating people. I almost entered this shit.

Zip Zop, Zoobity Bop!

PRO Member

You know whats really funny?

Taco Bell was threatening people with civil/criminal actions for speaking out (the latter of which doesn't exist, its not defamation), but actually Taco Bell is the one on risky grounds here.

Its actually illegal to hold a sweepstakes or contest like this under false pretenses. If there are enough people out there who this happened to, Taco Bell could be in a position where they can be held accountable for fraud and false advertising. This could be compounded by the threat of legal action against the participants.

Particularly if it ends up coming out that nobody/not enough won the contest.

If I were Taco Bell I'd be rushing to make publicly available a full list of winners to stem what really could be a lawsuit they are defending themselves against.
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.

Gauss's Rating Rationale:
    0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    2-4: A just plain bad game.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.
    7: An average game, should be played at some point
    8: A good game, should buy at some point
    9: A great game, day-one purchase
    10: A game that goes above and beyond the generation, its transcendent.

Lvl 6 - Silver

Lvl 9 - Gold

Never had a chance to taste that joint, any good?
    Hand-bra Jeans

The exposure of the female's soft body. Whether you like it or not, being naked to the waist and the mismatch between the hard and thick jeans. The true essence is the union of girly and boyish styles.At the same time, the hand-bra forces even the current girls that lack shameful feelings to make an embarrassing pose. Depending on how it is seen, it also shows a form of eroticism by making it look like the girls are rubbing their own breasts.

Medaka Box

The One and Only

Lol. It looks like Taco Hell had cause quite a controversy there.

Siggin' since June 2012 | Sig, Avy, and Bar Made by Me | Platcard made by djunglist
    DaRe's Journey of Art
    Drawings on first post, sig showcase on second.

DaRe's Adventures v5.20
    My Trophy Checklist getting revived soon!

Free-Style Signature Request Shop
    My sig shop, currently open!

DareCity701
    My dA account.

My YouTube Channel

Please subscribe today!

Requests Due: 0
    Collabs Due: 0

Lvl 1 - Bronze

That is bullsh*t

Quote Originally Posted by antoniosbandana View Post
    LOLOLOL I just saw the exact same thing.

Winner: "I won".

Taco Bell: "........"

Winner: "Hey Taco Bell, I won! I have the code"

Taco Bell: "We're looking into it"

Winner: "No seriously, I won"

Taco Bell: "You did not win, we determined your entry was invalid. DO NOT FUCK WITH US WE WILL CUT YOU"

Winner: "Uhhh...Mom? HELP!!!"

I just got my email with that legal bullsh*t on the bottom. I called them out here is my email...

February 14, 2012

To who it may concern,

I am shocked and appalled by the response I have been given about my sweepstakes entry. To threat a valued customer with legal actions is disrespectful and insulting over something as this. I provided you with the correct information, I spoke to your representative with the up most respect only to be spoken to with a harsh attitude from this representative. I decided to ignore her terrible attitude in hope that my issue would be resolved. I received the e-mail posted below yesterday and I am not surprised after being treated the way I was that I would receive something like this. I will never eat at a Taco Bell again since this is how your customers will be treated. If legal action is what will be forced upon me for your mistakes then I will gladly accept the opportunity to meet you in court.

From another customer you have lost,

- Anthony Paschitti

-----Original Message-----
    To: xxtankxx1031 <[email protected]>
    Sent: Mon, Feb 13, 2012 5:26 pm
    Subject: notice from TB Unlock the Box

February 13, 2012

We have received your inquiry and determined that you are not a valid winner. This was determined by checking the information (i.e. code, email address, cell phone, name, etc.) you gave us with your inquiry to the data in our systemís records.

Please note that ANY ATTEMPT TO UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THIS PROMOTION AND SWEEPSTAKES IS A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS AND WE RESERVE THE RIGHT TO SEEK DAMAGES FOR SUCH ACTIONS TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW.

The decisions of the judges are final.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast