Sony Spent 50 Million Dollars on Advertising for the Vita

This is a discussion on Sony Spent 50 Million Dollars on Advertising for the Vita within the General PS Vita Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Sony spending $50 million on Vita marketing c - Shacknews.com - Video Game News, Trailers, Game Videos, and Files Sony ...

INTJ

Sony Spent 50 Million Dollars on Advertising for the Vita

Sony spending $50 million on Vita marketing c - Shacknews.com - Video Game News, Trailers, Game Videos, and Files

Sony wants players to "never stop playing" with the PS Vita, its new handheld coming out this week. And in order to do that, it's going to start paying a lot of money to get the word out. Sony plans on spending $50 million on marketing the Vita launch, "the largest platform launch" in PlayStation's history, according to SCEA's John Koller.

The $50 million spend will be spread across television commercials, billboards, retail partnerships, digital banner ads, and a Twitter campaign that focuses on the hashtag #gamechanger.

Commercials for Sony's new handheld device will be seen on programs like The Simpsons, South Park, Tosh.0, and NBA and NCAA basketball games, in an attempt to get the attention of its core demographic: 20-something male gamers that already own a PS3. Koller told The New York Times that the Vita will target gamers that want to continue to be engaged "and still feel like they’re playing on a console."

While Sony is promising a huge marketing spend, it's odd that a single commercial has yet to air, especially so close to the system's launch. As of now, Taco Bell is providing the only air time for Vita on the TV.

CHECK OUT SONY'S GROUNDBREAKING VITA ADVERT:

SO AMAZING RIGHT?

totally worth 50 million

Legalize it...

Maybe 49 million, but not 50...

Crocodile Hunter

Is that all? only 50 million? I would of assumed they would of advertised the fuck out of it after slow sales in japan

Sig by Apokolypz

Lvl 8 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Ac3dUd3- View Post
    Is that all? only 50 million? I would of assumed they would of advertised the fuck out of it after slow sales in japan
    50 million put's it on par with some of the biggest advertisement campaigns in video gaming history...

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    Sony spending $50 million on Vita marketing c - Shacknews.com - Video Game News, Trailers, Game Videos, and Files

CHECK OUT SONY'S GROUNDBREAKING VITA ADVERT:

SO AMAZING RIGHT?

totally worth 50 million
    I think the very first video they made about the vita from that January event last year would of made a better ad -_-

PRO Member

If you think 50 million is a lot of advertising dollars think again. Microsoft is set to spend 500 million dollars advertising its add on peripheral the Kinect,

In 2006 Nintendo announced they were spending 200 million on advertising the Wii adjusted for inflation be alot more, and best of all MS announced it was spending almost 950 million on advertising MS entertainment products

So really 50 million isn't a lot and in todays viral age where a video can hit millions of views and things spread like a plague hopefully with good reviews

PRO Member

50 million dollars isn't alot... Maybe Oxy is right for ONE campaign, but 50 million is nothing for spending on a platform launch.

Nintendo's advertising budget is 1.2 billion USD, they spent 265 million USD just last quarter.

You guys need to understand that this 50 million... 90% of it is spend on getting the ad on air and on the internet. You don't spend alot of money on the actual development of the campaign.

You guys sitting here making a big deal out of a 6 second cut is like complaining about Pizza because your delivery boy had some zits.

That 6 second ad and the ad materials aren't where the money is spent. NOBODY spends money there, except during big-time events like the Super Bowl... And look how well those turn out.
    Last edited by Gauss; 02-13-2012 at 06:09 PM.
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.

Gauss's Rating Rationale:
    0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    2-4: A just plain bad game.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.
    7: An average game, should be played at some point
    8: A good game, should buy at some point
    9: A great game, day-one purchase
    10: A game that goes above and beyond the generation, its transcendent.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Video is private. OMG....

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by ScreamAimFire999 View Post
    It was basically six second of girl telling you how different she is compared to you while getting her nails worked on, then moves to a vita logo

The One and Only

Quote Originally Posted by ScreamAimFire999 View Post
    I got the same message, and I'm not sure if I should trust PS360's sarcasm

Siggin' since June 2012 | Sig, Avy, and Bar Made by Me | Platcard made by djunglist
    DaRe's Journey of Art
    Drawings on first post, sig showcase on second.

DaRe's Adventures v5.20
    My Trophy Checklist getting revived soon!

Free-Style Signature Request Shop
    My sig shop, currently open!

DareCity701
    My dA account.

My YouTube Channel

Please subscribe today!

Requests Due: 0
    Collabs Due: 0

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by DaRe_xLw View Post
    I got the same message, and I'm not sure if I should trust PS360's sarcasm
    it isn't sarcasm

thats exactly what happens

The One and Only

it isn't sarcasm

thats exactly what happens
    SO AMAZING RIGHT?

totally worth 50 million
    That's what I was referring to with the sarcasm

But 50 mill, that's quite a bit of money spent

Siggin' since June 2012 | Sig, Avy, and Bar Made by Me | Platcard made by djunglist
    DaRe's Journey of Art
    Drawings on first post, sig showcase on second.

DaRe's Adventures v5.20
    My Trophy Checklist getting revived soon!

Free-Style Signature Request Shop
    My sig shop, currently open!

DareCity701
    My dA account.

My YouTube Channel

Please subscribe today!

Requests Due: 0
    Collabs Due: 0

Go Blue Jackets!!

50 Million? That's not very much for advertisement.

Lvl 6 - Silver

50 million wasted...

PRO Member

Attention all:

NOBODY SPENDS 50 MILLION ON THE ACTUAL AD

This is the same flavor of ad-garbage flushed out by dozens of ad studios because they are relatively cheap to shoot and are easy to remember because they don't fit with whats advertised.

Ads are all about stirring up emotions, most studies show it doesn't matter what emotion you experience, if you have an emotion (Joy, anger, confusion, etc) you remember the product. There has yet to be a study showing correlation between the positivity of the emotion and sales too! So there are many ad-execs who believe that if you can get people to remember your brand name, you've won. Doesn't matter if your ad shows nothing about your Samsung Galaxy or your iPod or your Volkswagen or your Wendy's hamburger. Get people to feel something about the ad, and it will work.

It falls under the same philosophy as to why ESPN talked about Tebow. Hate him or love him, he got you to think/talk/react.

So... Not only was this ad not the focus of the 50 million dollars spent (I'd be shocked to the point of requiring 1st hand proof if it was even 10% including all overhead, verification, and contractual obligation), but many of you are validating why these ad execs think this way. We've talked about this ad more than we have about every Sony ad campaign save Kevin Butler and the "Michael" ad.
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.

Gauss's Rating Rationale:
    0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    2-4: A just plain bad game.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.
    7: An average game, should be played at some point
    8: A good game, should buy at some point
    9: A great game, day-one purchase
    10: A game that goes above and beyond the generation, its transcendent.

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by Gauss View Post
    Attention all:

NOBODY SPENDS 50 MILLION ON THE ACTUAL AD

This is the same flavor of ad-garbage flushed out by dozens of ad studios because they are relatively cheap to shoot and are easy to remember because they don't fit with whats advertised.

Ads are all about stirring up emotions, most studies show it doesn't matter what emotion you experience, if you have an emotion (Joy, anger, confusion, etc) you remember the product. There has yet to be a study showing correlation between the positivity of the emotion and sales too! So there are many ad-execs who believe that if you can get people to remember your brand name, you've won. Doesn't matter if your ad shows nothing about your Samsung Galaxy or your iPod or your Volkswagen or your Wendy's hamburger. Get people to feel something about the ad, and it will work.

It falls under the same philosophy as to why ESPN talked about Tebow. Hate him or love him, he got you to think/talk/react.

So... Not only was this ad not the focus of the 50 million dollars spent (I'd be shocked to the point of requiring 1st hand proof if it was even 10% including all overhead, verification, and contractual obligation), but many of you are validating why these ad execs think this way. We've talked about this ad more than we have about every Sony ad campaign save Kevin Butler and the "Michael" ad.
    HAHAHA, Gauss is trying to reason with n00bs...