You can share opinions about vita games on near, as long as they are positive.

This is a discussion on You can share opinions about vita games on near, as long as they are positive. within the General PS Vita Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; The PlayStation Vita Needs a 'Dislike' Button Sony's new PlayStation Vita handheld sports a good amount of ways to connect ...

INTJ

You can share opinions about vita games on near, as long as they are positive.

The PlayStation Vita Needs a 'Dislike' Button

Sony's new PlayStation Vita handheld sports a good amount of ways to connect with people. It will let you share your trophies, passively trade and unlock game content, and even broadcast how you're feeling about the games you're playing. Well, to a point. As it turns out, the Vita won't let you tell people if you don't like a game.

The Vita's most comprehensive and interesting collection of social features is "Near." Near is something like the Nintendo 3DS' spot-passes and street-passes - the idea is to let you passively connect to other players. Its coolest feature is the ability to scan of your local area (a 3 kilometer radius) to give you information on all of the PSN activity around you.

It also keeps a running bulletin board tracking the popularity of various Vita games. One of the first games to pop up on my chart was Uncharted: Golden Abyss. I decided to take a look at the page for the game and see what was what.

Upon arriving on a page called "Players' Voice," a message popped up: "Tap 'Pick Some Emoticons!' to share your opinion of this game."

Okay, Vita. I already shared my opinion of this game, so I have a pretty good idea of what it is. I hit the "emoticon" button to assign an emoticon to this game. Presumably, this emoticon would then be broadcast out to the people I connected with via Near, letting them know what I thought of a game.

A window popped up featuring a handful of emoticons. I looked for the one marked "disappointment" or "sadface." And yet what I saw were… only positive emoticons.

"Funny," "moving," "exhilarating," "engrossing," "rewarding," "cool," "captivating," "amazing," and "heartwarming." Those were my only options.

That means that the Vita is telling me that it's fine if I share my opinions with my friends, but only if they're positive. I didn't really think that Uncharted: Golden Abyss was any of those things! There wasn't even an emoticon for "good graphics."

Ironically, despite the exclamatory energy behind the "Pick Some Emoticons!" feature, the menu's baseline icon—a collection of three grey, flat-mouthed faces—comes the closest to actually conveying my feelings about Golden Abyss.

Engineered positivity isn't new to social media. There is a reason that Facebook doesn't have a dislike button - from a business perspective, social networks need to grow to survive, and positivity helps growth. "Liking" something on Facebook doesn't even necessarily mean that you're expressing approval - sometimes it's merely a way to put something on your page and share it with others, thereby helping Facebook to grow.

But all the same, there's something vaguely sinister about how the Vita muzzles players who want to provide their honest take on a game they've played. It's so falsely cheery; the simplistic Orwellian (actually, Huxlian) undertone of the mandatory smiley-face.

So no, this alone is not the harbinger of some terrifying dystopian future. And we're still able to give star ratings to games in the PSN store. But this feels calculated nonetheless. If Sony wants us to use their social features and contribute to their social network, they could at least let us express how we actually feel.

Lvl 9 - Gold

Everybody agrees on the "amazing face" is "WTF DID I BUY IT?" and is win win.
    Hand-bra Jeans

The exposure of the female's soft body. Whether you like it or not, being naked to the waist and the mismatch between the hard and thick jeans. The true essence is the union of girly and boyish styles.At the same time, the hand-bra forces even the current girls that lack shameful feelings to make an embarrassing pose. Depending on how it is seen, it also shows a form of eroticism by making it look like the girls are rubbing their own breasts.

Medaka Box

Lvl 4 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by YumeOMiru View Post
    Removed post.
    Last edited by AndroidFox; 02-24-2014 at 05:31 PM.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Make a positive review or nothing at all lol. That's pretty much what I would do until they update it.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Sounds a bit like the 'likes' on Facebook - Either it gets good rating from users or there is no rating, so basically not worth it

Platinum Procrastinator

Quote Originally Posted by YumeOMiru View Post
    I was thinking the same thing. Everyone decides on one of the icons to be used only as a bad rating and the problem is solved.
    Like TV shows, join the Small Screen Gossip group!

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by Denaratuck View Post
    I was thinking the same thing. Everyone decides on one of the icons to be used only as a bad rating and the problem is solved.
    much agreed we need to highjack 1 of these emoticons. Lets deliberate which 1 'Amazing' gets my vote

Plat. Blackjack Warrior

NYC, NY ( Or where the Navy sends me :-D)

I would buy one but would have to meet a few personal requirements -

1. PS3/Vita Game Data Transferable ( Ex. ME3 & ME3 Vita [ just making it up]).
    2. More interesting games.
    3. If I have to train in a forest/desert/wasteland then i'll buy it to fight my bordom, lol

Playing: Final Fantasy 14
    Latest /100%: Saint Rows 4
    Next Platinum/100% Goal: FF 14 (going to a LONG haul...)
    CLAN/GUILD: KUPO KNIGHTS - SARGATANAS SERVER
    LINK: http://kupoknights.guildwork.com/

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by SeabeeGR View Post
    1. PS3/Vita Game Data Transferable ( Ex. ME3 & ME3 Vita [ just making it up]).
    if the devs make it support that feature

Lvl 9 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Denaratuck View Post
    What can I say, Im a fortuneteller in my spare time.
    Hand-bra Jeans

The exposure of the female's soft body. Whether you like it or not, being naked to the waist and the mismatch between the hard and thick jeans. The true essence is the union of girly and boyish styles.At the same time, the hand-bra forces even the current girls that lack shameful feelings to make an embarrassing pose. Depending on how it is seen, it also shows a form of eroticism by making it look like the girls are rubbing their own breasts.

Medaka Box

Lvl 1 - Bronze

You don't get to whine on the internet, boohoo. Just don't share anything if you don't want to share something positive. I wish that was an option on places like GameFAQs so all the trolls would stfu. :x

DH
    Lvl 2 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    if the devs make it support that feature
    they actually did when they ported over metal gear 2 sons of liberty and metal gear 3 snake eater. i say this because i played through once on my ps3 so when i got it for my vita i just transferred the data over and i had all my weapons and everything. ive got to say i was quite intent lol

PSN ID: Devilhunter290
    Big thanks to D1Mech for this signature and avatar