Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sony Confirms Vita Won't Be Compatible with PS2/PS3 Games

This is a discussion on Sony Confirms Vita Won't Be Compatible with PS2/PS3 Games within the General PS Vita Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; They should just port PS2 games straight over for really cheap, I know that'd sell a load more vitas, especially ...

PRO Member

They should just port PS2 games straight over for really cheap, I know that'd sell a load more vitas, especially on launch, people love that shit

I like the idea that they want to adapt PS3 games for the vita (I.E we wont get shitty ports on the vita for PS3 games) but I don't like the idea of paying all over again for nearly the same game.

Perhaps if they're making one big universal online network they could include discounts for fans of the franchise?

For example, hey you've played (Or platinumed) the whole MGS collection, MGS rising AND MGS 4, you can get MGS 5 for cheaper than the retail store price if you buy it off the store!

Might be asking for a bit much, but surely that would boost sales and activity of store purchases?

Legendary...Nuff Said

Could you imagine a game like Skyrim on the Vita? Now, like Skyrim or not, if this 'remote play' thing is true, and we have access to most PS3 games on our Vita, could you just imagine how cool that would be? A world and game 16+ square miles large right in the palm of your hand. That could be revolutionary.

As far as how controls work, the only thing the Vita is missing from a PS3 controller is the L2/R2 buttons. However, it seems that the backtouch panel would be used for those buttons, with a single tap or two to instigate it. Might feel wonky at first, but it might work.

It definitely makes the Vita much more worth it, that's for sure.

deviantART | Gifts | SOTM XXXVI
    Circumstances may change, but circumcisions are forever.

Big Boss

I dunno about you but i can play my ps2, ps3 games on my ps3 not my vita

09:59:02 Altered Formula: Yeah Connie's great, If I had the power, I would bestow a 1000 orgasms upon him.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

This offers some more insight to the feature:The Playstation Vita To Offer Remote Play On All PS3 Games? | Gizmodo Australia
    PS3 firmware to enable Vita Remote Play for all games • News • Eurogamer.net
    PS Vita review: Displeasure with Remote Play - In Entertainment

Seems like it connects via Internet and does a VPN connection to the PS3 and gives you remote control. Bit concerned about the video in the third link there though.

Also, Eurogamer mentions mapping of any missing controls to touchscreen functions, will be interesting to see how that plays out and how effective it is. I'm hopeful this feature will work well in the future.

Stacking - Machinarium - Hell Yeah - Cuboid - Critter Crunch - Thomas Was Alone - Contrast

Kiwi Defender

Quote Originally Posted by JackAttack View Post
    Could you imagine a game like Skyrim on the Vita?
    No, because it probably wouldn't happen. The Remote Play feature is going to work on First Party games, that's for sure, but there's no confirmation of whether Third Party games will support it too.

Also, Skyrim would suck on the VITA. It can't even run properly on the PS3.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Lvl 8 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post
    No, because it probably wouldn't happen. The Remote Play feature is going to work on First Party games, that's for sure, but there's no confirmation of whether Third Party games will support it too.

Also, Skyrim would suck on the VITA. It can't even run properly on the PS3.
    Elder Scrolls? no.

Elder Scrolls Travels? Possibility!

PRO Member

Between Remote Play and the prospects of Cross Play, i'm fascinated with the Vita. Remote play would be for me; picture this...

The wife is watching [Insert lame TV Show here] and i'm in my chair working on my latest game via the Vita Now, when she goes to bed and I have the TV all to myself, I switch back over to the PS3.

...life is complete.

Now I don't know if I can see myself playing full Vita only games because I love my PS3 and large TV. I just have a hard time imagining the small Vita being as good of a gaming experience. I mean, a mini taco is good but, it's just not enough to fill you up. Who knows... maybe after experiencing it, i'll change my mind.

Lvl 8 - Gold

What I'd like to know is if you can play PSP games on it.

PRO Member

This is a great thread, I had bought the Vita under the assumption Kill Zone 3 was at least one game I could play by remote play, however I was very disappointed when I could not do this, however I am told it is a coming update.

Lvl 8 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Deth View Post
    What I'd like to know is if you can play PSP games on it.
    Most yeah, there's only a few that don't work...

Lvl 8 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Oxymoron28 View Post
    Most yeah, there's only a few that don't work...
    Why's that?

Lvl 1 - Bronze

For those wondering about how Remote Play works. The PSP or Vita connect to the PS3 through an internet or LAN WiFi connection. The PS3 itself runs the game, not the PSP or Vita. The PS3 Streams the video to your PSP or Vita's screen over the WiFi connection.

The PSP couldn't do many games via Remote Play, because of it's lack of the right stick, L2, R2, L3, and R3 buttons. Also, the PSP's WiFi connection lagged so much that you could barely play anything anyway. The Vita still has a little lag, but apparently it's WiFi and I guess 3G capabilities are much greater than the PSP.

I saw someone ask if they would need to remake the game for Vita for it to run, and the answer is no. That is due to the PS3 actually being the system that runs it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12