Vitas 3G plan..worth it?

This is a discussion on Vitas 3G plan..worth it? within the General PS Vita Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; So i am planning on getting a vita with my income taxes and i am trying to decide between the ...

Resident Deadhead

Vitas 3G plan..worth it?

So i am planning on getting a vita with my income taxes and i am trying to decide between the 3g or wifi only. according to the guy i talked to on the phone at playstation, the 3g is ran through at&t 3g, and i can get it month to month (no 6 month or year long contracts), and they wont charge me overages, when my data plan runs out, the 3g shuts off. the cheapest plan was 15 a month for 256 MB (i think that was how much, i could be wrong, i talked to him a few hours ago...) i asked him how long that would last, using the 3g mainly to play games online, and he said he didnt know.....so does anyone here know how long the basic plan lasts? because thats going to be the kicker on which vita i get. if its only a few hours then i call bogus

any opinions on the 3g that could help me make my decision is appreciated

Lvl 1 - Bronze

The 256 meg depends on what you do of course. the 3g is worth the extra 50 bucks. get the new bundle that came out and you get a month free and Super Stardust game for free at the end of the first month.

Resident Deadhead

i would mainly be using it to play games online. saying that i did only that, any idea how many hours of online play im gonna get for my 15 dollars?

Lvl 3 - Bronze

my understandeing that the 3g model has built in gps and costs to go online gameing so tell me why get a addon that costs heeps when if its just a wifi vita you can do all the same stuff from a wifi hotspot ???

Lvl 9 - Gold

I know that when I get mine I am just getting the Wi-Fi version. Hell the only time I wont be playing it online is when I get to play it on break at work. Ive got a wireless connection here at home so I dont see any reason to get the 3G version and have to put out more money to AT&T. Hell they already get enough of it from me already.

Resident Deadhead

Quote Originally Posted by MadMardigan_88 View Post
    I know that when I get mine I am just getting the Wi-Fi version. Hell the only time I wont be playing it online is when I get to play it on break at work. Ive got a wireless connection here at home so I dont see any reason to get the 3G version and have to put out more money to AT&T. Hell they already get enough of it from me already.
    so if you have a 3g plan with your at&t phone, do you have to pay them even more to have the plan w/ the vita?
    I Grew up a Fuckin Screw-Up, Got introduced to the Game, got an ounce and Fuckin Blew Up.

Only the Good Die Young, so I'll be here Awhile

Lvl 9 - Gold

From what Ive been hearing is yes you have to have a seperate data plan just for the Vita. If I could use the one for my phone that would be cool since its unlimitted. Ill be happy with the Wi-Fi version. Right now I mainly want it just so I can play the new Uncharted.

PRO Member

Based on my experience with 3G plans being offered, it's normally always better to go with it. If you don't, you get docked like a mother fucker for internet usage when you can't have wi-fi, and in most cases it ends up costing more not to get it, than to get it.

Resident Deadhead

Quote Originally Posted by Anthnytdwg View Post
    Based on my experience with 3G plans being offered, it's normally always better to go with it. If you don't, you get docked like a mother fucker for internet usage when you can't have wi-fi, and in most cases it ends up costing more not to get it, than to get it.
    if i buy the wifi only one i dont see how i can get docked for non-existent 3g overages....
    I Grew up a Fuckin Screw-Up, Got introduced to the Game, got an ounce and Fuckin Blew Up.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

lol yer its a come on get mo doh from suckers i think...

Resident Deadhead

so i went out and bought the wifi only one. i just have this sinking feeling that my 15 a month for 3g wasnt going to get me very far.....

in other news the hot shots game for the vita is sick nasty lol

Lvl 3 - Bronze

I think the only multiplayer allowed for the 3G connection is turnbased. However, I'm considering getting the $15 dollar a month plan and seeing how its goes cause ModNation Racers has an interesting distance/check-in function, Hot Shots Golf has a daily tournament that I try to remember to do on the bus, and Unit 13 has plans to distribute missions or something over 3G. I also feel Near would be more useful with 3G but meh, not worried about that. It seems most of the interesting stuff that would be using the 3G connection would be implemented with the games themselves which means it could be more than multiplayer. The only thing I'm worried about it the hit to the battery life.
    Just because I'm a lazy person: All gaming info is here -> GrimmLAN13

The bass, the rock, the mic, the treble
    I like my coffee black
    Just like my metal

Mindless Self Indulgence

Lvl 8 - Gold

I'm not really sold on the Vita yet. Give me some titles from my favorite franchises and I'll consider it.

PRO Member

I think everyone should get wifi only. If you need internet access why not just pay for a cellular hot spot add on. Also at least with Verizon the hot spot add on is not contract based and u can actually do anything online without restrictions on gaming. Plus if u have 4g the difference is amazing

Since Aug. 09

Quote Originally Posted by PS3GAMERMAN View Post
    my understandeing that the 3g model has built in gps and costs to go online gameing so tell me why get a addon that costs heeps when if its just a wifi vita you can do all the same stuff from a wifi hotspot ???
    you never have to hook up 3g unless you want to. i want the option if iknow ill travel for a while i can kick that 3g in at anytime.

Dominate!

Lvl 2 - Bronze

The 3G will be most helpful if you are somewhere without wifi. Yes, you could get a hotspot from your wireless carrier, but that would be more expensive and require a contract. The 3G for the Vita is no contract, $15 for 250MB, $30 for 3Gb and $50 for 8Gb (I think the 8Gb is accurate but I could be wrong on that one). You can start your service at any time and end it at any time, so it's not like you get saddled with a bill. All you have to do is click on the ATT app and you're on. The 3G capability is a luxury yes and in many cases may not be needed, but if you really want to play your vita online from anywhere (anywhere ATT has 3G coverage that is), it is an option. I have it on mine, and have no plans to use it, but I felt like I would like to have it in case some day I need it.

Lvl 6 - Silver

Yea I would only reccomend getting the 3g if you dont live near or around any wifi hotspots like me in the boonies or you know you travel a lot...

Or I guess if you know you just want it... And no I dont think 250 MB would get you very far at all... I reccomend the 3Gb as a minimum but I have no way to test cuz no vita

Lvl 1 - Bronze

We have two PSVita's with the 3g. We started with the minimum plan at 25 dollars. That lasted about 5 days. The at&t plan chomps ! It would be much better with a yearly plan. We have moved up to the 50 dollar plan with global. With two systems that's 1200 dollars a year and it's still not enough if you are a serious gamer. The premium plan is 150 per month !! ouch !! If you use Netflix with the basic plan, you will run out of data at the end of the first full length movie. The system is like no other handheld we have ever had. Makes anything else look like an 8 track tape but the at&t plan is the worst but they have you by the shorties with at&t. Hopefully in the future you will be able to add it to your own cellular plan, whichever company.