Gravity Rush was inspired by Crackdown for the 360

This is a discussion on Gravity Rush was inspired by Crackdown for the 360 within the General PS Vita Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Gravity Rush started life as a PS3 title, inspired by Crackdown | Joystiq When Sony's internal Japan Studio set out ...

INTJ

Gravity Rush was inspired by Crackdown for the 360

Gravity Rush started life as a PS3 title, inspired by Crackdown | Joystiq

When Sony's internal Japan Studio set out to work on Gravity Rush (Gravity Daze in Japan), the game was positioned as a PlayStation 3 title. According to an interview with the US PlayStation Blog, the team "came across PS Vita along the way" and realized it was "perfect for the game."

That's not the weird part, though. The game's primary influence is cited as Realtime Worlds' 2007 Xbox 360 game, Crackdown. "I really like the aspect of unlocking skills and becoming more powerful, and achieving a higher level of freedom as you become more powerful," one team member said. "I enjoyed moving in that game." Given that Gravity Rush is an open world game in a third-person view with an upgradable character, the comparison makes sense. Both games feature unrealistic art styles accentuating the fantastical gameplay, making their crossover even clearer.

While Gravity Daze has been out for a bit in Japan, Gravity Rush won't float to US shores for another few months.

fuck ya i love crackdown

PRO Member

Kind of get the feeling the development team said that this...

...was inspired by this...

...to help build the game's apeal to western audiences.

Personaly, I think it's more likely to have been (gameplay wise) inspired by this...

But that's just my opinion.

Keiichiro Toyama, Director: I like a French graphic artist called Moebius. In one of his graphic novels, there are images of people floating in space and I was inspired by that.

Now playing
    EVE ONLINE
    Who needs a life anyway

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by BadWolf2142 View Post
    Kind of get the feeling the development team said that this...
    ...was inspired by this...
    ...to help build the game's apeal to western audiences.
    but crackdown is awesome

has a good leveling up system, you feel weak at the beginning but at the end you feel really powerful.