Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

Miyamoto: Yea it's powerful, but where are the games

This is a discussion on Miyamoto: Yea it's powerful, but where are the games within the General PS Vita Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Miyamoto: Vita needs games - Edge Magazine Nintendo legend Shigeru Miyamoto has praised the technical capabilities of Sony's PS Vita ...

  1. #1
    INTJ
    Ps360's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    12,268
    Reputation
    310

    Miyamoto: Yea it's powerful, but where are the games

    Miyamoto: Vita needs games - Edge Magazine


    Nintendo legend Shigeru Miyamoto has praised the technical capabilities of Sony's PS Vita handheld, but says the machine's software lineup leaves something to be desired.

    Speaking to us in Paris, where he was promoting the 3DS-powered visitor's guide at the Louvre museum, Miyamoto did his best to maintain professional courtesy, but couldn't resist having a sly dig at Sony's new handheld.

    "It's obviously a very hi-spec machine, and you can do lots of things with it," he said of Vita, which launched in Japan last December and in the west in late February. "But I don't really see the combination of software and hardware that really makes a very strong product."

    Since a strong launch - it sold 325,000 units at launch in Japan, and 600,000 in its first few days on western shelves - Vita sales have slumped, particularly in Japan, where it has frequently been outsold by the ageing Wii and even its own predecessor, PSP.

    3DS, however, has been Japan's best-selling hardware every single week since last August's price cut - and Miyamoto admits it was a lack of software that held back Nintendo's glasses-free 3D handheld.

    "When we launched the 3DS hardware we didn't have Super Mario 3D Land, we didn't have Mario Kart 7, we didn't have Kid Icarus: Uprising," he said. "We were striving to have all of these ready for the launch, but we weren't able to deliver them at that time.

    "We were kind of hoping that people would, nevertheless, buy into the product, find 3DS hardware promising, but looking back we have to say we realise the key software was missing when we launched the hardware."

    In other words, Vita, like 3DS, needs games, and there are few owners of Sony's new handheld who would disagree with that sentiment. Despite a wide range of launch software, Vita releases since have been thin on the ground; the next big release for the system is Gravity Rush, due in the west in June.

    Miyamoto's comments are extracts from an extensive interview in our new issue, E241, which should be with subscribers any day now and will be on sale on May 9. Other topics discussed include his surprising admiration for Angry Birds, and his desire to make a spiritual sequel to SNES classic The Legend Of Zelda: A Link To The Past.

  2. #2
    DON'T BLINK
    Koimia's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Adams, WI
    Posts
    1,363
    Reputation
    80

    Even though it's mentioned by him... Pot Meet Kettle.

  3. #3
    INTJ
    Ps360's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    12,268
    Reputation
    310

    Quote Originally Posted by Koimia View Post
    Even though it's mentioned by him... Pot Meet Kettle.

    3DS already has a promising line up combined with the games that already are out (Kid icarus is still my GOTY of 2012)


    not to mention the MASSSIVE game library on the DS and backwards compatibility is on the 3DS without paying money to have your old games.


    (Vita doesn't have Layton & Phoenix for example. Not to mention rhythm heaven and Nintendo took away monster hunter from Sony.)


    http://vsrecommendedgames.wikia.com/wiki/Nintendo_DS

  4. #4
    Lvl 8 - Gold
    Oxymoron28's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    822
    Reputation
    26

    Fuckin' rich coming from Nintendo considering the lackluster launch lineup of the 3DS. And the time it took the 3DS to secure a line up of games post release.

    Vita is pretty much going through the same phases as the 3DS did in the same time scale, but the Vita has a few more games then the Vita...

  5. #5
    INTJ
    Ps360's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    12,268
    Reputation
    310

    Quote Originally Posted by Oxymoron28 View Post
    Fuckin' rich coming from Nintendo considering the lackluster launch lineup of the 3DS. And the time it took the 3DS to secure a line up of games post release.

    Vita is pretty much going through the same phases as the 3DS did in the same time scale, but the Vita has a few more games then the Vita...
    just like the psp and ds


    oh wait



    also "the vita has a few more games than the vita"





    also i dont even touch my vita anymore really, it's in that case all the time. if i do play it i play katamari or something.





    Gravity Daze or whatever it's called comes out this year and thats the only vita game i heard about that isn't out yet. other ones are piles of shit like call of duty (rehash:portable) and stuff.


    the 3DS has a massive lineup of exclusives.









    just wondering if beyond the labrynth will reach america or not, i wanna see that game.
    Last edited by Ps360; 05-04-2012 at 01:43 PM.

  6. #6
    Lvl 8 - Gold
    Oxymoron28's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    822
    Reputation
    26

    Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    just like the psp and ds
    Point?


    also "the vita has a few more games than the 3DS"


    also i dont even touch my vita anymore really, it's in that case all the time. if i do play it i play katamari or something.
    That's nice? Whats your point?



    Gravity Daze or whatever it's called comes out this year and thats the only vita game i heard about that isn't out yet. other ones are piles of shit like call of duty (rehash:portable) and stuff.
    Ever heard of the term "Opinion"?

    the 3DS has a massive lineup of exclusives.
    I should fucking hope so, it's well over a year old...

  7. #7
    INTJ
    Ps360's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    12,268
    Reputation
    310

    Quote Originally Posted by Oxymoron28 View Post
    Point?
    The psp had the issue of having amazing hardware but barely any games. people like to blame piracy and stupid scapegoat reasons like that. the DS had a way more massive piracy problem (R4 Cards and such) but it is still the most sold handheld pretty much.



    Quote Originally Posted by Oxymoron28 View Post
    That's nice? Whats your point?

    There is only like 1 or 2 games on the vita worth playing currently, theres only 1 more on the way that isn't a COD game or something.



    Quote Originally Posted by Oxymoron28 View Post
    Ever heard of the term "Opinion"?
    Yup, and im expressing mine.



    Quote Originally Posted by Oxymoron28 View Post
    I should fucking hope so, it's well over a year old...

    it already had good games before it's debut year was over. hell it had 2 or 3 games at launch that were good (I personally liked steel diver and the ghost recon game that came out)

  8. #8
    Lvl 4 - Silver
    jooakim's Avatar


    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    244
    Reputation
    4

    I think i'll get a ps vita when it drops in price.. if it does

    Quote Originally Posted by A random guy on youtube
    If you want to marry a Korean woman, you will have to beat their father in StarCraft first \(-.-\)

  9. #9
    Lvl 8 - Gold
    Oxymoron28's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    822
    Reputation
    26

    Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    The psp had the issue of having amazing hardware but barely any games. people like to blame piracy and stupid scapegoat reasons like that. the DS had a way more massive piracy problem (R4 Cards and such) but it is still the most sold handheld pretty much.
    Except the PSP piracy problem was directly held responsible by the publishers. And I'm more inclined to believe a publisher over the likes of you on that matter...

    Whether it was just how ever is a completely different argument.





    There is only like 1 or 2 games on the vita worth playing currently, theres only 1 more on the way that isn't a COD game or something.
    Again, "Opinion" look it up.




    Yup, and im expressing mine.
    I think you could do with looking up the term "Express" as well.
    Saying the "other ones are piles of shit" is not expressing an opinion...



    it already had good games before it's debut year was over. hell it had 2 or 3 games at launch that were good (I personally liked steel diver and the ghost recon game that came out)
    Kind of missed my point really...

  10. #10
    The Old Guy
    ONUOsFan's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    393
    Reputation
    27

    Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    Yup, and im expressing mine.
    Which you're allowed to do, even if it is wrong. Bashing Nintendo's competitor by complaining about rehashes = priceless.

    I would think most people would look at this list and be more excited about it than they would about anything coming out for the DS, but that's just me... Assassin's Creed, BioShock, Call of Duty, Killzone, LittleBigPlanet, LEGO games, Resistance, Uncharted and pretty much every major sports franchise sounds like a pretty decent lineup to me.

    Obviously those aren't all out yet, and I agree that the PS Vita needs a price cut, but I'm not sure how anyone in their right mind would look at that lineup and not call it good. Oh, wait... I think I just answered my own question.





  11. #11
    Retired
    Undrey's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Afterlife Sahara Desert
    Posts
    2,271
    Reputation
    84

    One thread with no bitch bashing Sony please.

  12. #12
    illegal in 9 countries


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Ōsutoraria
    Posts
    3,822
    Reputation
    594

    The irony is palpable.

  13. #13
    Kiwi Defender
    Nagflar's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Vice City
    Posts
    6,570
    Reputation
    386

    Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    The irony is palpable.
    Very, specially since the 3DS might have good software (which is highly debatable, because it doesn't really have it) and has a rather lame hardware.

    Toggle Spoiler



    Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

  14. #14
    INTJ
    Ps360's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    12,268
    Reputation
    310

    Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post
    Very, specially since the 3DS might have good software (which is highly debatable, because it doesn't really have it) and has a rather lame hardware.
    kid icarus, mario kart, mario land 3d.


    all the games i listed have a ton of replayability. especially kid icarus (kid icarus is a really good reason to get a 3DS).

  15. #15
    Lvl 7 - Gold
    njdog102's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    677
    Reputation
    18

    Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    all the games i listed have a ton of replayability. especially kid icarus (kid icarus is a really good reason to get a 3DS).
    Since you're on the subject of Kid Icarus, how is it? I heard the controls are supposed to suck ass but the game itself is supposed to be pretty good.

    Sig and avatar courtesy of ABSTRACT678
    Platbar courtesy of ThunderStick

  16. #16
    Kiwi Defender
    Nagflar's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Vice City
    Posts
    6,570
    Reputation
    386

    Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    kid icarus, mario kart, mario land 3d.


    all the games i listed have a ton of replayability. especially kid icarus (kid icarus is a really good reason to get a 3DS).
    Replayability =/= quality. Not to mention any game can have a lot of replayability to some degree. For example, you might argue that a straigh-forward game like God of War has no replayability past a playthrough or two, yet I can play it over and over again because I simply like it that much.

    Toggle Spoiler



    Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

  17. #17
    Platinum Procrastinator
    Denaratuck's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Newfoundland
    Posts
    3,081
    Reputation
    159

    I'm not going to bash the guy for pointing out something everyone has been saying all along. The Vita's biggest issue right now is the lack of games. Sure there are many great titles coming eventually like Onuosfan mentioned. However, Sony is going through the same problems that the 3DS went through before resorting to a price cut and releasing Mario Kart 7.

    Sony should have learned from Nintendo's mistake, but they never. Just look at Mod Nation Racers Vita. It doesn't support online play which is a huge mistake for a game like that. Also, many people, myself included are still waiting for cross platform play, like they advertised on certain games. After saying this though, I don't regret my Vita purchase. However, I'm still waiting for some good games to come out and the other features to be implemented and working correctly.
    Like TV shows, join the Small Screen Gossip group!

  18. #18
    Kiwi Defender
    Nagflar's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Vice City
    Posts
    6,570
    Reputation
    386

    Quote Originally Posted by Denaratuck View Post
    I'm not going to bash the guy for pointing out something everyone has been saying all along. The Vita's biggest issue right now is the lack of games. Sure there are many great titles coming eventually like Onuosfan mentioned. However, Sony is going through the same problems that the 3DS went through before resorting to a price cut and releasing Mario Kart 7.

    Sony should have learned from Nintendo's mistake, but they never. Just look at Mod Nation Racers Vita. It doesn't support online play which is a huge mistake for a game like that. Also, many people, myself included are still waiting for cross platform play, like they advertised on certain games. After saying this though, I don't regret my Vita purchase. However, I'm still waiting for some good games to come out and the other features to be implemented and working correctly.
    You know what's the funny part? Everyone around here used to say "Oh no, the VITA will have a very strong launch thanks to them releasing a lot of great games early!", yet here we are, months later, and the line-up is still weak, just like the PS3's when it was released. I am surprised Ps360 hasn't posted a "VITA has no games" pic yet, as a matter of fact .

    Toggle Spoiler



    Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

  19. #19
    INTJ
    Ps360's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    12,268
    Reputation
    310

    Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post
    You know what's the funny part? Everyone around here used to say "Oh no, the VITA will have a very strong launch thanks to them releasing a lot of great games early!", yet here we are, months later, and the line-up is still weak, just like the PS3's when it was released. I am surprised Ps360 hasn't posted a "VITA has no games" pic yet, as a matter of fact .
    i can post the fake iwata interview if you want

    [continued laughter]


    edit;

    http://www.nintendo-gamer.net/2012/0...s-kazuo-hirai/


    Iwata: Today I am joined by Kazuo Hirai, Chairman of Sony Computer Entertainment.

    Hirai: Please, call me Kaz.

    Iwata: Please do not call me Sat. [Laughs]

    Hirai: [Frowns]

    Iwata: Today we are talking about the struggles facing the handheld market. For example, how your handheld market is struggling against our handheld market. [Laughs]

    Hirai: Very funny, Mr Iwata.

    Iwata: I am being a kidder towards you. It’s good for Sony that 3DS is selling well – it gives retailers more space to store unsold Vitas. [Laughs]

    Hirai: Don’t forget the tortoise and the hare, Mr Iwata. Slow and steady wins the race.

    Iwata: Yes, but in this case the hare has signed a lucrative Monster Hunter deal. But I’m sure Little Deviants will do well for the tortoise. [Laughs]

    Hirai: [Silence]

    Iwata: Looking at Vita’s slow sales, I am reminded of the PlayStation 3 slogan: It only does everything. Except sell. [Laughs]

    Hirai: Okay.

    Iwata: Looking at Vita’s slow sales, I am reminded of the PS2 slogan: Welcome to the third place. Only it is now ‘the last place’. [Laughs]

    Hirai: Right.

    Iwata: Looking at Vita’s slow sales, I am also reminded of your famous E3 performance. Though instead of ‘Riiiiidge Racer!’ you have a ‘saaaaaaales failure!’ [Laughs]

    Hirai: Are you done?

    Iwata: [Continued laughter]

    Hirai: I knew this interview was a bad idea.

    Iwata: [Continued laughter]

  20. #20
    Lvl 9 - Gold
    Minarum's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Your mom's bed, aka Houston, TX
    Posts
    1,102
    Reputation
    27

    Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    The psp had the issue of having amazing hardware but barely any games. people like to blame piracy and stupid scapegoat reasons like that. the DS had a way more massive piracy problem (R4 Cards and such) but it is still the most sold handheld pretty much.
    Yet another invalid point. Actually the PSP sold handhelds like hot cakes. But thats because of Piracy, it's fact not a "stupid scapegoat". But either way, lets not get started on how pathetic the 3ds is .

    Another useless thread and article that's been said quite a few times. Let the trolls enjoy wasted time
    August 2011 Trophy Competition Winner

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:35 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.1.10
Copyright © 2018 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO