Sales Number Revealed for Worldwide vita sales: 1.8 Million

This is a discussion on Sales Number Revealed for Worldwide vita sales: 1.8 Million within the General PS Vita Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Worldwide Vita Sales Revealed in Sony Earnings Call from Side Mission Gaming News. 1.8 million. That's how many PlayStation Vitas ...

INTJ

Sales Number Revealed for Worldwide vita sales: 1.8 Million

Worldwide Vita Sales Revealed in Sony Earnings Call from Side Mission Gaming News.

1.8 million. That's how many PlayStation Vitas were sold as of March 31, as per Sony.

The information was revealed in a Sony earnings call following the company's annual earnings report today.

CEO Kaz Hirai on the system's sales:

"About Vita," Mr. Hirai said, "the last year, [we sold] 1.8 million units for US, Japan, Asia and Europe. And as a starting phase, I think that was a good start."

Sony had announced 1.2 million sales for the system at the end of February, meaning about 600,000 units were moved, worldwide, during the month of March.

Given the system's lackluster performance in Japan (the system sold just over 50,000 units in Japan in March; about 60,000 in February), most of the system's sales would seem to have come from the U.S. and European markets.

Mr. Hirai offered the following assessment on the importance of software for the Vita, moving forward.

"A game platform, like Vita – the software is the key to success, how good the software is," he said. "We have to reinforce the software area in order to improve the business, that is the basic line.

"And vis a vis Vita, at this moment, there is no decline or lack of motivation as a portable platform. And also, in order to connect with the Network, this is a very important product indeed for us, and therefore we still have a very high motivation to develop this further. There is no change. And services and software must be strengthened.

"In other words, the collaborative approach is very important, so is third-party. And from first party studios, the titles will be presented one after the other, so please look at them and give your evaluation based on them."

Sony expects to sell a total of 16 million PSP's and Vita's in its next fiscal year.

The Vita launched December 17, 2011 in Japan; worldwide two months later.

meanwhile in japan alone

and in america

Lvl 8 - Gold

im sure when call of duty comes out in the fall those numbers will jump

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyblitzed View Post
    im sure when call of duty comes out in the fall those numbers will jump
    do you seriously have hope for a handheld call of duty

Legendary...Nuff Said

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    A handheld CoD will suck just as much as it does on the console, but it WILL sell quite a few Vita's because of the fact that the name on the cover says, "Call of Duty" on it.

deviantART | Gifts | SOTM XXXVI
    Circumstances may change, but circumcisions are forever.

Jay
    ಠ_ಠ

I believe it was announced last July

Toggle Spoiler

That said, it was a while ago, so plans may have changed

PRO Member

Nope because CoD sucks

PRO Member

Yeah COD sucks the greatest selling franchise in gaming history wont help sell any units no, when people realize how awesome this Vita is and its abilities it makes the 3DS look like a gameboy

Retired

No one gives a fuck about 3DS, post all the news in the Nintendo section, we don't need your crap here.

Lvl 5 - Silver

I'll buy the vita..when they start releasing good games for it...(no, i'm not talking about cod)

Lvl 4 - Silver

Now I'm going to do a quick comparison with the 3DS for sales. Make of this what you will and I will put sources below to back me up in some way when I think it will be needed

These sales figures I am mentioning are only for the 2011-2012 financial year. That means the 3DS release sales aren't included (since Nintendo rushed it be out before the financial year)

The 3DS sold 13.52million units in this time frame (world wide)
    Source: Worldwide 3DS Sales Reach 17 Million - 3DS News @ Nintendo Life
    in this time some of Nintendo's top game franchises came out such as Mario. Monster Hunter triG also came out and booted sales in Japan.
    In the this time the 3DS also got a nearly 1/3 of it's price taken off but I couldn't find sales comparisons from before and after. But according to this news article: Nintendo 3DS Sales Surge After Price Cut | Game|Life | Wired.com sales went up by over 260%.
    Anyway that makes around 1.126million units per month (world wide). Source: A calculator and 13.52 divided by 12

The vita sold 1.8Million units world wide in this financial year
    Source: Worldwide Vita Sales Revealed in Sony Earnings Call from Side Mission Gaming News.
    In this time the vita has been out in Japan for 3 and a half months. Just over a Month everywhere else.
    Also Note that this time the Vita wasn't out for the Christmas period in anywhere but Japan
    With this being said since the console wasn't out everywhere at once it makes getting the units per month hard.
    If I did 1.8 million divided by the 3 and a half you get 0.514 unit sales per months but that includes 2 and a half months of only Japan having the console (Japan being the country which has the worst sales for the vita). This also includes the sales for the release of the console world wide).

But I can't think of a way to really compare the two sales figures to be fair to both sides due to bad release timings by Sony so unfortunately I;m going to have to stick to that

On a quick note I also did the 3DS daily sales by dividing by 366 and for 0.037million units a day, the vita divided by 104 days (how long it had been out in Japan until March 31st) I got 0.017

So from a very poor comparison 3DS is 1.126 million a month or 0.037 million units a day and the vita is 0.514 a month or 0.017 million units a day

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway now my speculations.

The vita will this financial year beat the 3DS this financial year for 3 reasons.

1) the 3DS has used up a fair bit of it's game enticements to get it to sell already. E.G Mario, fire emblem, Kid icarus and anyone prepared to buy 3DS for monster hunter has one now. I mean now their only main sellers left are The legend of zelda, Metroid and pikmin (is it really that popular?)
    The Vita on the other hand got a recent confirmation of Metal gear solid HD, Sega super star battle royal, Phantasy star and sly copper. Plus it's still waiting on some other likeable series such as need for speed, COD, grand theft auto and gran turismo.... Monster hunter will also pump the Japan sales figures into gear.

2) I don't know anyone who hasn't liked the vita itself. Lack of games is the only complaint I hear, and that can be solved with patience. Plus iv'e got 8 people to buy a vita so far, at least 4 of those I know also got someone else to buy a Vita, all keeps adding onto owners to recommend the console. In formula form. Sales= More sales
    The 3DS on the other hand is the opposite, I hear lot's people say the Games are good but the console is bad. Or though games can be a very powerful driving force it only get a console so far, the Wii being a good example (See how much less it sells every year if not see here: Mega Pirate Ninjas - Nintendo. News. Explosions.: Nintendo Fiscal Year 2011/2012 Report) And do you know what can be a bad thing about games being a driving force on a portable console is? you can lend the console with it which lowers sales, the number of times I lent out my psp or DS (when I had) to others was fairly high if I wasn't playing anything at the time.
    Nintendo uses software to drive sales, but software can only sustain you for so long, which is where a better console is needed.

3) I think Nintendo will start getting a lot of faults in the system soon. This being because they are selling the 3DS at a loss as of the price cut back in August. A solution they have noted (Iv'e lost the link to it) is to find cheaper ways of building the console which can never end well in my opinion.

On a different note how can Nintendo being making a lose on the 3DS? The 3DS was estimated to cost $101 in components to make (Source: Is the PlayStation Vita worth 230? • Articles • PlayStation Vita • Eurogamer.net) How much do they spend on shipping and worked, either that or Nintendo has some really bad sources.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

That's got to be around 1 billion dollars, 'cause I spent around $400 at the register when I got mine, because I pre-ordered Disgaea and got a 16Gb memory card and the 2 year warranty. so let's just say that everyone only bought $300 worth of shit that's still half and I'm sure most people have bought more than 300 dollars worth. lol. That's some nice sales regardless, now just wait until Christmas 2012 and crap of duty's release and I'm sure they at least double if not triple. Not saying the Vita isn't worth it, but DAMN.

Nice post above me btw.
    First to level 9999 in Disgaea 3 U.S.