Memory cards are now linked to a single account

This is a discussion on Memory cards are now linked to a single account within the General PS Vita Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; PS Vita 1.80 Update Locks Memory Cards to Single Account | Game|Life | Wired.com The latest PlayStation Vita firmware update ...

INTJ

Memory cards are now linked to a single account

PS Vita 1.80 Update Locks Memory Cards to Single Account | Game|Life | Wired.com

The latest PlayStation Vita firmware update giveth, and also taketh away.

The 1.80 software update, released on Tuesday, locks Vita memory cards to a single PlayStation Network account. This means that if you are using multiple accounts to access the vastly different inventories of the Vita’s downloadable games store in different regions of the world, you’ll have to go buy another memory card if you don’t want to format yours every time.

Prior to Vita’s launch, Sony said that players were free to use multiple accounts on Vita if they bought additional memory cards.

That statement was later retracted and players were told that only one account was allowed per Vita, not per card.

But as it turned out, players could indeed switch between multiple accounts, storing content from multiple regions on a single memory card. The System Restore function did prompt users to format the memory card at each switch, but this was optional.

With 1.80, the format is now mandatory (pictured above). Vita owners attempting to switch accounts must also change memory cards, or else the Vita will not recognize the card.

The change is an extra annoyance since the 1.80 update also includes the long-promised ability to play downloadable games from the classic PSone library, like Final Fantasy VII and Castlevania: Symphony of the Night on the Vita.

Availability of these games varies wildly by region: In Sony’s home territory of Japan, the 200 most popular games are available for download now, with an additional 400 to be added to the store within a month. In Europe, over 100 PS1 games are available this week.

But in the United States, there are only nine PSone games in the Vita storefront.

Vita owners who have a PlayStation 3 can access many PSone games that aren’t in the Vita’s storefront by first downloading the games onto a PlayStation3, and then transferring the software onto Vita via the Content Manager application. However, fans have had to figure out for themselves which games can be transferred and which cannot.

Banned

Ninja Master

i dont mind that. i dont people to use my data on my hard earn trophies but its gunna suck if you buy a new vita tho

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by LilJayR4 View Post
    i dont mind that. i dont people to use my data on my hard earn trophies but its gunna suck if you buy a new vita tho
    but what happens if i want to use my JP account and my US account on the same memory card?

CMN
    PS4 - Christmas 2014

Fuck that. Not buying a vita now, I was going to bring the MC with me to play on my friends on a field trip road trip.. but fuck that.

Sig and Avatar from one of the Elite, Dare
    WWE Favorite TEN (Active Performers, Updated Every Week) - Bad News Barrett, Bray Wyatt, Seth Rollins, Dean Ambrose, Bo Dallas, Dolph Ziggler, Daniel Bryan, Sami Zayn, Luke Harper, Cesaro

Currently Playing/Working On: Call of Duty Ghosts (Xbox One/360), NBA 2K14 (Xbox One), Killzone 2 (PS3), Remember Me (PS3), WWE 2K14 (PS3)

Platinum Procrastinator

For a system that is already doing poorly, Sony continues to do more damage...
    Like TV shows, join the Small Screen Gossip group!

Angel of Death

I like the Vita, but Sony, stop kicking yourself in the face... It's like kicking a kid when he's down, but instead of someone else, you kick yourself.

PRO Member

Epic fail.on their part yay no vita for me over priced now more restrictions. Why would anyone. Want that

Change is good

I don't usually play on other accounts anyway so right now it wouldn't bother me.

Ghost Assassin

This is a poor move for the Vita; they should be focusing on things that would make the device more appealing to the consumer, not less appealing.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

OMG, with every update is like SONY would be trying to screw the Vita.

Ninja Master

@ps360 i never thought of that..yeah thats kinda fucked up when the first vita came out everything was fine but that was stupid. i havent update my vita once. only cuz i dont have wifi now imma buy a another vita just so i can keep mutilple acc.