Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Vita Reportedly Hacked

This is a discussion on Vita Reportedly Hacked within the General PS Vita Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Originally Posted by Guy Cocker, Editor in GameSpot Sony has long faced a difficult fight in the battle against hackers ...

Retired

Vita Reportedly Hacked

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Cocker, Editor in GameSpot
    Sony has long faced a difficult fight in the battle against hackers of its hardware and products. The PlayStation Portable was repeatedly hacked, ultimately resulting in low sales of the device, according to Sony. And, while it took longer for the PlayStation 3 to succumb, it too became the victim of hackers in 2011. Finally, the PlayStation Network was compromised in the same year, resulting in the loss of millions of people's personal information.

Now, it appears as though the same could be set to happen to the PlayStation Vita. Website CVG reports that coder and self-confessed re-engineer Yifan Lu has been developing a homebrew loader for Sony's latest handheld. According to Lu's blog, he has discovered an exploit for the PlayStation Vita, and used it as the basis for building what he calls the "Usermode Vita Loader". This, claims Lu, makes it possible to create homebrew Vita software.

PlayStation Vita reportedly hacked - GameSpot.com

Well, this would boost Vita's sales but would make less developers want to make games for it.

Lvl 6 - Silver

I love homebews but I fear the Vita to suffer like the PSP did :/

100% Grizzly

Vita has trophies and more online than the PSP did so this means I will probably stick to being legit on the Vita. I would think it would be harder for you to hack full PSN functionality as well. Didn't Sony have a way to detect hacked PS3s and ban the users?

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by bagelbear View Post
    Vita has trophies and more online than the PSP did so this means I will probably stick to being legit on the Vita. I would think it would be harder for you to hack full PSN functionality as well. Didn't Sony have a way to detect hacked PS3s and ban the users?
    Yup, they would shut off their PS3s I think. That's why there's a serial code behind your PS3.

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Sly Cooper View Post
    make less developers want to make games for it.
    no one wants to make games for it to begin with

there's like 2 good Third party game exclusives that were announced and coming this year.

the rest are being moved to other platforms like wii u

http://gimmegimmegames.com/2012/07/r...oved-to-wii-u/

Lvl 9 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post

there's like 2 good Third party game exclusives that were announced and coming this year.

Rumor: PS Vita projects being moved to Wii U | Gimme Gimme Games

I don't believe Rumours and no one here cares about the Wii U. This is a PS3 gaming community

Retired

Rumor: PS Vita projects being moved to Wii U | Gimme Gimme Games
    'Rumor'. What games are they? Batman Arkham City?

Plats-O'-War!!

Not surprised one bit since it was only a matter of time before it was finally cracked.

Lvl 4 - Silver

So this will eventually allow people to run homebrew and with that emulators.

According to this article of a conversation with the hacker you won't be able to run illegally downloaded games.
    A conversation with the first PlayStation Vita hacker | Crave - CNET

"I'm glad to say that one of the biggest 'advantage' of having a userland exploit (rather than the more desirable kernel exploit), is that it is impossible to run backup/pirated/copied Vita games using this flaw I've found," said Yifanlu.
    I have no problem with consoles being hacked (I personally don't do it). It's a nice way to bring the potential of the console out which wouldn't otherwise be possible due to laws limiting the console. But when the hacks are used to pirate games I really don't like that at all, all that does is scare developers away and if they do release a game on the console cut into profits which just lowers the chances of sequels.

On another note, the 3DS has been hacked since last october yet that was on 1 or 2 news sites. It is confirmed that one exploit on the vita has been found and that becomes one of the most talked about things on most gaming news sites.

100% Grizzly

Quote Originally Posted by Doomlor0 View Post
    So this will eventually allow people to run homebrew and with that emulators.

According to this article of a conversation with the hacker you won't be able to run illegally downloaded games.
    A conversation with the first PlayStation Vita hacker | Crave - CNET

I have no problem with consoles being hacked (I personally don't do it). It's a nice way to bring the potential of the console out which wouldn't otherwise be possible due to laws limiting the console. But when the hacks are used to pirate games I really don't like that at all, all that does is scare developers away and if they do release a game on the console cut into profits which just lowers the chances of sequels.

On another note, the 3DS has been hacked since last october yet that was on 1 or 2 news sites. It is confirmed that one exploit on the vita has been found and that becomes one of the most talked about things on most gaming news sites.
    Hey if I can emulate games on the Vita and Sony doesn't block that functionality or punish people who do it I would be very happy. The Vita seems powerful enough to make some pretty competent emulators on it.

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by bagelbear View Post
    Hey if I can emulate games on the Vita and Sony doesn't block that functionality or punish people who do it I would be very happy.
    sony hates innovative thinking when it goes out of their bounds. so yea they will punish and block it.

Sic Vis Pacem Bellum

ok i can see more hacking on leaderboards since vita has trophies now
    but the only thing i would like is to play ps1 games and sega and nintendo emulators like i did on psp
    i have eboots to ps1 games and dont wanna buy them on the store and so far there collection is not what i like

but for the most part vita will become the psp real soon if they really go overboard with these so called exploits

i see more and more vita firmware updates in the near future
    Signature Provided By Djunglist

Angel of Death

sony hates innovative thinking when it goes out of their bounds. so yea they will punish and block it.
    What did they copy to make the PS1? The N64? That's a far cry considering that nothing now a days ever seems original. Idea was already out, then a bigger company takes the idea to make it better. It's just business, not like they care if they are innovative or not.

Anyways, Sony might brick me, so no thanks.

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by cengizbobengiz View Post
    What did they copy to make the PS1?

high res version here: http://i.imgur.com/9fip2.jpg

Nintendo and sony were working together to bring out a disc based console in the early 90s till either nintendo or sony said "Fuck dis" and broke up.

so basically it was similar to the xerox and apple thing that happened. if you cut the handles off the PS1 Controller you can see where they got the "inspiration" from.

(oh hey what a suprise there's a prototype similar to that)

Retired

Nintendo and sony were working together to bring out a disc based console in the early 90s till either nintendo or sony said "Fuck dis" and broke up.

so basically it was similar to the xerox and apple thing that happened. if you cut the handles off the PS1 Controller you can see where they got the "inspiration" from.

Just because the design is same doesn't mean the console is. The PS1's CDs were tons better than cartridges.

illegal in 9 countries

It has nothing to do with innovation. It has to do with licencing games for play on the Vita.

Forget emulators which ARE pirate devices and focus on RemotePlay, which is where the Vita CFW stuff gets interesting. Vita may simply be a pass-through device to the PS3 for RemotePlay, but you're playing that game on the Vita when there's no licence in place for the right to do it. Hence, RemotePlay thus far has been limited to first-party Sony games.

Sony's not going to open the flood-gates to litigation by unlocking RemotePlay for all games even though it seems perfectly capable, nor are they going to pay licencing fees for a back catalogue of PS3 games. So we either jailbreak at our own risk (I'll do it, no qualms, I own the games on PS3), or we wait for new games to come along with PS3 and Vita support, including licencing fees.

Ghost Assassin

It was only a matter of time before they hacked the PS Vita since there are a lot of hackers out there. I wonder if Sony will ban hacked Vitas just like they banned hacked PS3s.

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by Danko1900 View Post
    It was only a matter of time before they hacked the PS Vita since there are a lot of hackers out there. I wonder if Sony will ban hacked Vitas just like they banned hacked PS3s.
    Its not so much that they'll ban hacker consoles, they'll simply deny access to the PSN for anything but the latest firmware version.

None of the current PS3 CFW options can access the PSN to sync data, download PS Store content etc. As soon as they find a way back on, which can take months, Sony will patch it again within days.

Blocking all CFW consoles in one fell swoop in much easier than banning individual console IDs. There is a way around it, but it's a long, risky process every time you want to access the PSN. If you're into trophies, it's not worth the effort.

Twitch.tv/liljayr4

i dont mind hacks just dont hack the games and free stuff thatll ruin it. just use the hacked device to pimp out your vita. Like for my iphone i use it for badass.

Lvl 6 - Silver

Nintendo stabbed Sony in the back because they didn't want Sony to get lot's of money
    Because of that Sony started it's own console, and Nintendo probably started to wish that they didn't do what they did, because now-a-days they probably would only have Microsoft as an oponent

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast