Vita Custom Firmware leaked, Whole homebrew community gone batshit

This is a discussion on Vita Custom Firmware leaked, Whole homebrew community gone batshit within the General PS Vita Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; PS Vita CFW Leaked, Causes Scene Mayhem As is usual with any hacking scene, there is indeed usually a calm ...

INTJ

Vita Custom Firmware leaked, Whole homebrew community gone batshit

PS Vita CFW Leaked, Causes Scene Mayhem

As is usual with any hacking scene, there is indeed usually a calm before the storm. As is evident by our slow stream of news this weekend, we can however return to you with some absolutely crazy stories coming straight from the PS Vita scene including the possibility of a Kernel exploit alongside a new game-inspired hack as well.

Leaks are something that fans of technology will either love or hate, but the fact is we had a huge one on the PS Vita scene in these past days. We have scene in the past plenty of videos that involve people loading ISO titles on Sony's new console, and right now it seems that the exact files allowing that to happen have inadvertently fallen into the wrong hands. Originally belonging to a coder known as ColdBird, the kernel exploit was originally given to a very private group of beta testers. However, through some very crafty social networking skills, a user by the name of Sam Jordam (among many other aliases) found their way to the files and decided to take them totally public. Obviously this doesn't mean that we can all load ISOs on the Vita. As of right now, the package in question has been heavily encrypted, so we'll have to wait and see if anything comes of it in the following days. One thing is for sure however, you can bet Sony will be patching it in their next firmware.

As a result of all this craziness and the possible legal trouble with his finidngs, unfortunately Coldbird has decided to leave the scene, which is certainly a respectable move for someone who cares a lot about his own name and of course the fate of the console itself. Geohotz and a few others have faced simillar troubles, and we would not want to see this respected coder fall victim to that as well.

However, alongside this leak was also the mention of a new game-related user mode exploit that may or may not be able to allow the running of VHBL on Sony's newly-released 1.81 firmware. The title in question is the PSP Mini of Urbanix, so I would snag that game ASAP if I were you if you plan to reap any of the possible benefits that this hack might allow. While it is certainly exciting to see all of these new hacks emerge, the fact is these all should have been held in to so that they could have been employed at a much more crucial time in the PS Vita life cycle. Still, it will be interesting to see what results from all of this totally weird and unexpected action.

TL;DR guy leaks CFW through crafty social networking sneakiness, The guy who made the hack leaves the homebrew community to avoid becoming geohot 2.0, Whole community gone insane.

Lvl 6 - Silver

all this just to avoid paying for shit.... I have no respect for people who jailbreak shit and release it like they're some hero... fuck em all .... just sayin

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by badreligionbomb View Post
    all this just to avoid paying for shit.... I have no respect for people who jailbreak shit and release it like they're some hero... fuck em all .... just sayin
    the jailbreaked software is unable to play vita games. Homebrewers build stuff into the CFW to make it unable to play it too.

aka that argument is invalid and you can't blame it on homebrewers if the vita fails like the PSP did.

illegal in 9 countries

The value of CFW on Vita is to unlock remote-play capability for PS3 games, which Sony has locked down for all but a handful of first-party titles.

PSN | Steam | XBL | Wii U | 3DS | iOS | OUYA : ant1th3s1s | Checklist of the Year (2012,2013)

PRO Member

Totally man. I think Sony will be able to with PSN be able to ban so called modded units like XBOX LIVE does. And now a days its the gaming experience is much more of a social aspect then even when the PSP was around.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Well, I guess it's time to buy a Vita.

This was the only reason I bought a PSP.
    Truly, we live in the age of shitty games.

Lvl 6 - Silver

What exactly happens when someone goes batshit??

Lvl 6 - Silver

The Vita is already in bad shape, this could either help it or destroy what's left of it.. Either way, I'm still getting one

Lvl 1 - Bronze

I'm kind of surprised Sony hasn't took Urbanix off the ps store, last time I was on the store it was there when I bought it.

PRO Member

To be honest I used to be into hacking and modding , had an XBox. However not into it anymore

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

Sig and Avatar By djunglist

My Youtube interview done by KingSuperOne(subscribe)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SAMFW-gDNs

PRO Member

the hack of the vita shouldve waited until we were ready for it. the vita is still too new.
    so with the threat of homebrew, sony has to focus their time on that, instead of working on more things that could make the vita even better.
    though when homebrew is run, sony could look at it like"so they want something like this on the vita, lets give it to them for a small price
    for sure people would buy it... as long as we give them the money, were more likely to get the extra stuff we want....

theres even that idea of sony learning to play nice with others. when the psp was hacked, i saw so many user created games.
    if sony were to take advantage of that, they could start a program where the people who make their own games can make a deal with sony, there could be a little section on the store for user created games, for like a dollar.. sony would make more money that way too.
    and in turn, be more willing to give us those things we desire... if the people were able to work with sony instead of against them, the vita couldve been such a greater success

... Truth Bomb