Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

3 Things Sony needs to do to Save the Vita

This is a discussion on 3 Things Sony needs to do to Save the Vita within the General PS Vita Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; 3 Things Sony Needs To Do To Save The PS Vita - Forbes As far as Iím concerned, the PS ...

INTJ

3 Things Sony needs to do to Save the Vita

3 Things Sony Needs To Do To Save The PS Vita - Forbes

As far as Iím concerned, the PS Vita is a marvelous piece of hardware thatís packed with all sorts of awesome gaming potential.

But if I were asked to unpack the previous sentence and find the most important word, Iíd go with ďpotential.Ē

This is because however excellent the Vita may be it still isnít selling very well.

There are a number of reasons for this, but none of them ought to be deal-breakers for Sony. The company can, and should, find ways to make their latest handheld a mainstream must-have device.

After all, the combination of dual-touch screens and all (or at least the majority of) the buttons youíd find on a Dual Shock PS3 controller, plus truly remarkable graphics make the PS Vita a fantastic gaming device.

But there are three, completely solvable, problems that Sony needs to tackle in order to save the Vita.

1. Sony needs to lower the cost of the PS Vita before the 2012 Holiday season.

Sonyís UK boss, Fergal Gara, told Eurogamer that Sony will cut the price of the Vita sometime in 2013 but that no price cuts were planned for 2012.

With this knowledge in hand, consumers have very little reason to purchase a Vita this Holiday season, despite some attractive bundle deals that Gara says are in the works.

Currently, an Assassinís Creed Liberation bundle equipped with a 4GB memory card and Wi-Fi only will cost a gamer $249.99 on Amazon.

With games ranging from $20 to $40 and a 16GB memory card somewhere in the $50 range, the handheld console will quickly set you back as much or more than a PlayStation 3.

Meanwhile, with the Wii U launching in time for Christmas, and costing only a fraction more than the Vita, itís more than a little puzzling for Sony to resist a Holiday price cut.

Sony has also pointed out that the Vita plus the PS3 can do anything the Wii U can do, but this ignores the pricing issue. The Wii U will cost gamers $300, but a PS3/Vita combo will be closer to $500.

$199.99 would be a good price-point for a Vita bundle.

For a vanilla Wi-Fi Vita, Sony should seriously consider undercutting the Nintendo 3DS.

A PS3/Vita bundle priced near the $300 range would be ideal, but probably prohibitive at this point in time.

2. Sony needs more third party support, and should spend the money to make that happen.

The Vita has some great titles on the way, like this month's launch of Ragnarok Odyssey.

Sony has continued to struggle, reporting massive losses in 2011, and grim news again in 2012. So itís not as easy as simply spending money to make money.

Nevertheless, where the PlayStation has always shined brightest was in its long list of high-quality games, and especially exclusive titles.

With games like Assassinís Creed Liberation and various other AAA handheld titles in the works, the Vita may start to see a renewed interest.

But the console needs many, many more games to truly attract a strong user base.

As strong as titles like LittleBigPlanet Vita are (and the game is fantastic) they are still too few to make more than ripples.

So far, Sony has not done enough to attract third party developers to its platform.

ďOne thing that was surprising and disappointing to us was the [lower] number of third parties to come out [in support] after launch,Ē Sony Worldwide Studios president Shuhei Yoshida told Gamasutra.

ďÖIn retrospect, there are so many options for publishers now that we cannot take it for granted that our new platform would be supported by third parties, like [it would've been] many years ago.Ē

According to Yoshida, Sonyís strategy remains creating quality first-party titles.

ďWe create our content,Ē he said, ďand that can be used to evangelize some functionalities of the platforms for third party purposes.Ē

But Sony needs to go one step further and actively support third-party development for the Vita including partnering with third-party publishers and developers to help make games for the Vita a reality. Even as the losses mount up, the necessity to spend money to make money remains.

As much as I hate to say this, what the Vita truly needs are more mainstream titles like Call of Duty if only to subsidize the really crazy cool looking titles like Soul Sacrifice and Tearaway.

3. Sony needs more affordable games and a price-cut in AAA titles.

Gameloft's 'Dungeon Hunter: Alliance' is nearly four times as expensive on Vita than it is on PSN

Iíve only had my new iPhone for about a week now, but I already have over a dozen games installed. There are countless others to choose from that I havenít gotten to yet.

Most of these games range from entirely free (plus micro-transactions) to around $6.99, with only a select few topping the $10 mark.

Hereís the problem with the Vita: not only does it have too few games, itís ambition (while admirable) means that games on the platform at least seem overpriced, especially in the $40 range.

Take Dungeon Hunter: Alliance. Itís the perfect way to illustrate how broken the pricing is for Vita games.

I played the demo of DH:A on the Vita recently, and it was a fine hack-and-slash game that required basically no thought and had the sort of entertainment value youíd expect from a mobile action-RPG.

The game is available on the PlayStation Network for $12.99, and several iterations of Dungeon Hunter are available on iOS, ranging from the free (but truly lackluster) Dungeon Hunter 3, to $6.99 for numbers 1 and 2 in the series.

But on the PS Vita, the game will set you back $40. This was a game I might spend happily spend $6.99 on (and then ignore the micro-transactions) or spend $12.99 on for the full game. But Iíd have to be nuts to spend $40 on the title.

It would have to be twice as good as Torchlight 2 for me to spend that kind of money. And itís not.

Sure, it plays better with thumbsticks, but I can use a Dual Shock and play the game for $12.99, or just deal with a touchscreen and play it for even less.

I still believe that mobile phone games canít hold a candle to dedicated handheld consoles like the Vita and 3DS, but they will put downward pressure on game pricing one way or another. Console manufacturers and game developers will have to deal with this reality at some point.

The days of $40 mobile games are over. Or, at the very least, the days of $40 mobile games are drawing to an end.

Look at the highest-grossing mobile games and youíll find the cheaper (and especially the freemium) games make the most money.

I donít want Sony to adopt the free-to-play model Ė freemium gaming is awful nine times out of ten Ė but games for the system probably ought to fall to somewhere in the $20 range.

Meanwhile, more cheap, casual games should be made for the system, to compliment the AAA titles.

At the very least, itís time for the Vita catalog to fall in line with the price points youíd find on the PSN or XBLA.

The 3DS has comparably priced games, but itís a cheaper unit to begin with (and even then, I think eventually all handhelds will need to reduce the price of games.)

~

There are other ways Sony could improve the Vita, including a UI overhaul.

Right now the UI remains unintuitive and a bit, dare I say, garish.

In an age of sleek mobile UIs, the Vita ought to be much more user friendly and stylish.

But this and other quibbles remain minor compared to the big three listed above.

Getting the price right and the content secured should be the primary focus going forward, and at least two of the three ought to take place before this Christmas.

Securing more great games for the system will obviously take time.

P.S. I realize these may not be earth-shattering revelations. Still, I wanted to at the very least emphasize each point once again in light of my recent time spent gaming on both the iPhone and the Vita. While I prefer the versatility of the Vita, it simply pales in comparison when it comes to available games. The incentive to play/purchase a Vita simply doesnít exist, and itís not the fault of the hardware at all. This is a pricing and software issue plain and simple.

Lvl 10 - Platinum

They need to start putting PS2 Classics on the VITA side as well would be a farly good boost.

Lvl 6 - Silver

I dont have a lot of money... but I wasn't at all bothered by the Vita's 300 dollar price tag.... I love my Vita and play it frequently... I do however agree that more 3rd party software would be great... maybe a couple more apps being as its ran on a generic droid OS

Rangers F.C

I don't care about price any more cause I already bought one lol , they need to bring the PS2 titles to it and a lot of PS3 PSN games like Dead Nation would make the Vita appeal to more people and a netflix app would be cool too , also its a hand held console which is ment for use on the move and to be honest it does not work in the daylight cause you just can't see the screan , and its never really that sunny here so would be totally useless in a hot country.
    Would like to thank Google and snipping tool for my amazing sig + avatar

I HAVE NEVER IN MY LIFE LEARNED ANYTHING FROM ANY MAN WHO AGREED WITH ME

To be conscious that you are ignorant of the facts is a great step to knowledge

Lvl 7 - Gold

They need to bring up things that they promised. Such as Remote Play.

Lvl 2 - Bronze

They just need:
    games
    games
    games
    games

good games will sell it at any price.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Nice list. Very true stuff

Angel of Death

I agree with all these things, and don't really know what else to add.

Closing this account

I would like to get a Vita once I get rid of my PS3 one day. Most of the sports games on it are cheaper but how most Americans and Europeans are trying to hype the Vita kinda the main reason why I don't want it now. Seem like people are trying to make other get because they got it. What is really weird is how more foreigners in Japan bought the Vita then Japanese.

Gorilla see, Gorilla do

Reducing the price of triple AAA games would help. £40 for Liberation? Fuck off. I'm not a mug. They also need to tap in to franchises with a very dedicated fan base such as Mass Effect, Borderlands, GTA, and maybe even Dead Space.

Xbox One GT: I Asari Milk I Steam: AsariMilk

Lvl 5 - Silver

Hoping anyone can help me. Should i buy a wifi or a 3G bundle ? What are the owners findings ? Do you play on a spot where there is wifi ? I mean i can imagine only playing at home / at friends where there is wifi. Most travel sites / hotels have wifi. So why would i buy 3G ?

Or is it just a simple thing like when you have it, you want to use it ?

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Meh, I bought a WiFi, super happy at the moment. 3G doesn't seem worth it tbh, you'd need some kind of SIM in it anyway to use it, extra expenses everywhere.

PRO Member

Wi Fi is good but 3G would be cool as well, the only thing Sony has to do is what there doing bringing top quality games to the Vita that play well obn a portable device.

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by UNCLEPAULIE View Post
    I don't care about price any more cause I already bought one lol , they need to bring the PS2 titles to it and a lot of PS3 PSN games like Dead Nation would make the Vita appeal to more people and a netflix app would be cool too , also its a hand held console which is ment for use on the move and to be honest it does not work in the daylight cause you just can't see the screan , and its never really that sunny here so would be totally useless in a hot country.
    Mine has netflix

Lvl 1 - Bronze

3G is a JOKE! Vita needs 4G.

Lvl 4 - Silver

My 4 ways Sony can save the Vita
    1) Reduce the memory card price and reduce the price of the 3G vita to around £10 than Wi-Fi (Considering you still have to pay a 3G contract). The Wi-Fi model is a fine and fair price for what is offered
    2) Make some adverts which actually show what the Vita can do to shut all the people up who say the console has no games/ features (They are wrong). Plus advertising always helps things which are just starting.
    3) Offer a PS3 (Even if it's the 12GB version) and Vita (With memory card) Bundle for between £300 and £350
    4) Offer a memory card with the console (Even if its <1GB)

Le Wild Trophy Hunter

One of the things that stops me from buying more games for the Vita is definitely price... other than that I'm happy with it. I think wifi is the way to go also... with 3G you'll need a data plan and that can cost you a lot more in the long run, especially with overage fees.

Lvl 2 - Bronze

The memory cards are too expensive I agree, but I'm not sure they can be made cheaper.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

I can't to see what 2013 has in store for Vita!

Lvl 7 - Gold

I think PS+ coming to Vita is going to be an awesome feature. So that is already a good point for buying a Vita. Every month free games? That is a hell of an buying option i think. I said it before, but they need to bring out Remote Play. One of the things they lack is that they need more connectivity with the PS3. They announced Cross Buy.... How many games are there to Cross Buy? For the moment not many...
    And last they need to bring more games that are designed for the Vita, no ports, no PS1 games. They need to show off the graphics, and the specs what the Vita can do with new games.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast