And so i practically ran all the way back home from the local post office as it arrived from US. Unboxed with trembling hands, and here it is. A sexy white piece of hardware with AC III game. At first i was really excited. But as a person who plays videogames at night (mostly) i got really really disappointed of how the device works and looks in the dark.
So first off, the OLED screen looks just ugly if dark images are displayed on it. (heres an example)
2. White VITA has its blue glow all around the device which may look cool at first but then it gets annoying along with this stupid PS button burning your eyes and blinking when the battery is out of charge. I just kept thinking of my old PSP which was so comfortable to use at night.
3. Start/select/PS buttons that are way too tight. It is a real pain in the arse to pause the game if youre in a rush. Seriously, how could Sony fork up with things like that?
4. The game that comes in a bundle. Oh boy do i hate this piece of crap. Not to mention the game and all of its content are mediocre, the game manages to look much uglier than any above average PSP title, more than that it manages to run at 15 FPS most of the time. Seriously? And man just look at that Uncharted Golden Abyss, looks like some 16 bit 3D game. Both games look like 'meh..' and have a very frustrating gameplay.
5. If you ever decide to take a break of the tiring Uncharted game after 5 hours of gameplay and free the space on your tiny memcard - you're doomed. The game's savedata gets REMOVED COMPLETELY along with the game itself. There is NO cloud sync and NO possibility to back up your savedata on your PC with one push of a button. Here, backup the whole console/game instead, if you have 30-40 minutes of spare time of course.
6. The screen's brightness cant be adjusted for a comfortable using in the dark. Even on the lowest brightness level it still burns your eyes. I remember my PSP screen which could get twice as darker than this.
7. OS. Oh yes. The console is 1 year old now but it feels like youre using some kind of a beta hardware/software. It is bugger to use, the main menu touch controls are not responsive at all, sometimes you have to flick the screen twice to finally switch to the desired page. And they even force us to use touch controls in games like MGS2. IT IS A COMPLETELY FRUSTRATING EXPERIENCE.
With that being said - yes. The console was made for exclusive JRPGs like Persona 4 Golden, Disgaea and Soul Sacrifice. Yes, it is still new and devs have no idea how to use its capabilities right. But hell, it's been a year since you released it, and now all the devs can think of are next-gen consoles. VITA will remain in the shadows forever. I cant wait for my P4G to arrive from amazon. Going to sell this overpriced piece of hardware right after i plat it.
Yet the tiny slim PSP is a lot more enjoyable to use. With soft start/select buttons, adjustable screen brightness to fit anyones needs, proper OS and better design. Not to mention the game library and memory cards prices.
My verdict so far: DONT BUY THIS CONSOLE unless you really, REALLY want to play that P4G. I am happy with my Vita as long as im playing PSP titles and games like Rayman Origins on it. But games like AC III, Uncharted and Unit 13 - are just frustrating.