Am I the only one with a shite battery?

This is a discussion on Am I the only one with a shite battery? within the General PS Vita Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; So I got my vita used last Sunday. It works fine and plays perfectly, but I noticed about halfway through ...

Bob 'n' Becca

Am I the only one with a shite battery?

So I got my vita used last Sunday. It works fine and plays perfectly, but I noticed about halfway through last week that the battery didn't last that long. I was at work one evening and I pulled it out on my lunch break and it was dead. It had full the four hours or so before that point. And last night it was fully charged, but this morning I couldn't play it before work because it was completely dead. I think I may have overcharged somewhere in between when I got it and when I noticed the problem.

If its not the battery, and its the system, is there anything I can do when I'm not using it to conserve the battery? Typically when I'm playing it I'm somewhere where I can charge it, but on the rare occasion I don't have my charger or I'm using public transportation, I would like access to my awesome system.

Thanks to Thunder for the platbar!!!

Lvl 3 - Bronze

I don't have a problem with mine like your describing. It sounds like a hardware problem. If I'm using it I can get like 6-8 hours of play out of it on one charge. I have no problem with playing it for a short time, putting it on standby and then resume playing a day or more later with same battery level.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

My stats, 5 hours playing and 4 hours on netflix...

Lvl 6 - Silver

It really depends on the brightness of the screen. Usually I have it really bright and it lasts about 5 hours or so. I tried it on the lowest setting for how bright my screen is and got almost 8 hours of life.

Bob 'n' Becca

Quote Originally Posted by System H View Post
    It really depends on the brightness of the screen. Usually I have it really bright and it lasts about 5 hours or so. I tried it on the lowest setting for how bright my screen is and got almost 8 hours of life.
    What are you doing when yer using it, and how long does it last on stand by?

illegal in 9 countries

Turn off things like WiFi and 3G if you're not using them, lower the screen brightness, turn down the volume and kill background processes / apps. All should help to conserve battery life.

PRO Member

Weird, my vita battery can last for hours. I do have my brightness on the lowest setting and even that's still really bright. I can play a game or watch netflix consistently for at least five hours but just using it on and off throughout the day it'll last all day. I also have it on standby all the time and it doesn't do anything to the battery I wonder what's causing your problem

Bob 'n' Becca

Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    Turn off things like WiFi and 3G if you're not using them, lower the screen brightness, turn down the volume and kill background processes / apps. All should help to conserve battery life.
    Im going to try these things. If I notice it doesn't help I'll take the system back in between jobs today. It's been eight days but hopefully they will let me exchange it.

Lvl 6 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by 957_Bob_Hollywood_13_HFS View Post
    What are you doing when yer using it, and how long does it last on stand by?
    Just gaming, I never use Netflix or any other app. When I use standby it last for a long time, I did it at work for 10 hours straight and still had a full battery.

Bob 'n' Becca

Before I went to work last night I had mayhaps a quarter if a battery left. When I got home it was dead. I had left it in standby mode. Yesterday would've been the last chance to take it back to GameStop. Looks like I'll have to get a portable charger for it. Also, is it possible to buy a replacement battery?

A final concern of mine is, I tried hooking it up to both my ps3 and my laptop, just to charge it because I wasn't sure where my actual charger was at the time, and I noticed that neither machines charged the vita. When I plug my usual wall charger into the handheld you can see its charging because where the battery life is it'll display a little electrical surge. Neither my ps3 or laptop gave me that display. It also won't charge when I attach it to my halo portable charger that I typically use for my phone, but I figured that mayhaps that little thing wasn't giving it enough juice. Is this typical or unusual?

Lvl 10 - Platinum

Before I went to work last night I had mayhaps a quarter if a battery left. When I got home it was dead. I had left it in standby mode. Yesterday would've been the last chance to take it back to GameStop. Looks like I'll have to get a portable charger for it. Also, is it possible to buy a replacement battery?
    That's what happens sometimes when you get a refurbished product. The warranty from Gamestop was only a week? It's 30 day money garranty here with an additional 3 months if it breaks they'll get it repaired.

Bob 'n' Becca

Well I didn't purchase the extra warranty. With GameStop if you buy something used/refurbished you have a week to return it if you don't like it or it just doesn't live up to yer expectations. But I'm going to call them and see what they say. Like I said, I don't want my money back. I just would like a vita that'll last throughout the day, especially if its on standby.

Bob 'n' Becca

I called them and the bloke I spoke with told me to just bring in my receipt. Awesome!

Lvl 6 - Silver

I called them and the bloke I spoke with told me to just bring in my receipt. Awesome!
    Thats good, I bought mine new.

Lvl 10 - Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by System H View Post
    Thats good, I bought mine new.
    Thanks for supporting SONY

DELTA CUBES, DELTA CUBES!

I leave mine on standby for like ... weeks without chargin and it doesnt die... even with wifi on Lol.

I can play games for 8+ hours no problem on a full charge. And I use whatever brightness setting it came on... Lol
    Avy by DaRe_xLw