Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Q: Get a Vita now... or wait?

This is a discussion on Q: Get a Vita now... or wait? within the General PS Vita Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; FOREWORD: Fanboys please step aside. You would buy PlayStation toilet paper. If you comment, please admit you're a fanboy. you ...

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Q: Get a Vita now... or wait?

FOREWORD: Fanboys please step aside. You would buy PlayStation toilet paper. If you comment, please admit you're a fanboy. you know who you are. I still love you no matter what.

Now, I'm in the US. I've been torn on getting a Vita for a few months now. I never got a PSP because I wasn't that impressed with the over all scheme of things. But after looking at all the stuff the Vita can do (PS3 integration, cross play, PS4 integration [thus implying prolonged support]) I'm pretty impressed with it all.

I'm a racer. NFS Most Wanted reviews for Vita are all good. Gran Turismo 6 has been announced for Vita, but that may be 2025 before we see GT6 PERIOD. I'm a FPS. Reviews for Black Ops Declassified are horrible. Battlefield on Vita does not exist.

I also have Playstation Plus. A TON of free stuff for Vita as well.

Vita owners: Are you satisfied with what's out? Do you really use it as much as you thought? Any opinions?

Or should I just buy a dang iPad?

The One and Only

I like the Vita, and it's a very cool handheld to own. I just don't think there's enough games out there for the Vita yet, if you're one of those gamers who gets numerous games every once in a while.

I say for the games you've already heard about (except BO Declassified), you may want to get a Vita, but otherwise, I say wait even longer until you see more games that you're interested in getting.

I've never touched an iPad before, so I don't know much about it.

Siggin' since June 2012 | Sig, Avy, and Bar Made by Me | Platcard made by djunglist
    DaRe's Journey of Art
    Drawings on first post, sig showcase on second.

DaRe's Adventures v5.20
    My Trophy Checklist getting revived soon!

Free-Style Signature Request Shop
    My sig shop, currently open!

DareCity701
    My dA account.

My YouTube Channel

Please subscribe today!

Requests Due: 0
    Collabs Due: 0

Prayer Warrior

well first of all don't buy an iPad cause as soon as you do a new version will be out and yours will be obsolete. i enjoyed my vita the entire time i had it and always played it at some point during the day. Uncharted was an awesome game and i had some other favs like unit 13 and hot shots golf. and escape plan off the psn was freaking fantastic. the only reason i don't have my vita as we speak is because i had some very bad things happen in my life and needed the extra cash and sold my vita and games on ebay. family comes first.

with that said i will infact be buying another vita but i'm going to wait closer to the ps4 launch because i've heard and seen rumors that there will be a bundle that includes the vita with a new ps4. now that could be complete bullshit but just incase it's true i'm going to wait. and if it's not true then i'll buy one when i get a ps4 cause i'm sure it will be way cheaper by then anyway.

so if you have a need for portable gaming right now and need it to pass the time then by all means get one now but if you can wait i would wait if you plan on getting a ps4 just incase the rumors are true.

ps3trophies.com member since April 2009

PRO Member

Try not to buy a system until you know there's games you for sure desire. I'd say wait until there's 5-10 games you really want to play.

Even though I suggest the above, I personally have been playing Personal 4 for the past few months, an hour or 2 most nights. It's getting plenty of use from that one game, and before that, it was more used to play Sudoku before bed (which I already played on my PSP go). So essentially, it wasn't all that much of a 'must have' until December for me, even though I bought it in February last year at launch.

Some Sony head said that roughly 100 games are coming to the Vita in 2013, a lot of them will be ports, and smaller titles, yet when they're announced an released, decide if they interest you enough to make the plunge.

The great thing about PS+, is you can start the downloads of the free Vita titles on your PS3, and either keep the downloads, or cancel them. If you keep them, transfer them over from PS3 -> Vita when you get one, and if you cancel the download, they'll be in your download history which will remember that they're free, so long as you're still a PS+ member when you do redownload them.

I would say wait, because it seems likely either the system or the memory cards are going to drop in price before x-mas (if you can wait that long).
    <signature>
    [Insert garbage no one gives two fucks about]
    </signature>

Lvl 9 - Gold

i was thinking the same thing, and am glad now cuz i can read the responses. great thread broski.

as for my opinion (which is one that ive also been thinking about doing for myself) is to wait a few more months or so, just to make sure theres games out or at least coming out soon that youd want, like Shuklar mentioned above my comment. also its just to make sure that certain bugs and such are getting sorted out and fixed. and who knows? by the time you are actually ready to buy a vita, they may have introduced a new version of it, kinda like the slim PS3 and the super slim PS3

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by DaRe_xLw View Post
    I just don't think there's enough games out there for the Vita yet... wait even longer until you see more games that you're interested in getting.
    That is almost the #1 reason I haven't gotten one yet, there's just not that many games that both interest me and are rated good (port or not).

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Sparx View Post
    ...don't buy an iPad cause as soon as you do a new version will be out and yours will be obsolete... rumors that there will be a bundle that includes the vita with a new ps4... i'm sure it will be way cheaper by then anyway... if you have a need for portable gaming right now and need it to pass the time...
    I'm holding on to my iPhone 4 til the 6 comes out. When it comes to phones, I'm an "every-other-one" person. My "need" already passed back in February, so now it's just a waiting game. With the PS4 rumors, and the fact I'll grab that on launch anyway, it wouldn't be a bad idea to wait. Thanks for that heads up.

Quote Originally Posted by Shuklar View Post
    Try not to buy a system until you know there's games you for sure desire. I'd say wait until there's 5-10 games you really want to play... The great thing about PS+, is you can start the downloads of the free Vita titles on your PS3... and if you cancel the download, they'll be in your download... either the system or the memory cards are going to drop in price before x-mas (if you can wait that long).
    Back to the games thing, big deal breaker for me right now. And I've already started queuing Vita titles on my list "Just in case"... Great minds think alike!

Quote Originally Posted by jaws-ate View Post
    i was thinking the same thing, and am glad now cuz i can read the responses. great thread broski.... make sure that certain bugs and such are getting sorted out and fixed... they may have introduced a new version of it.
    No problemo, it's what I do! As far as the bugs and kinks, I think they're pretty much ironed out now. Of course, they'll be a major firmware update when the PS4 firmware is finalized for launch, but that comes with the territory. As far as a new version goes, I think they've killed it on what they have now, but never underestimate them. They'll find some way to shrink something...

Puns always intended.

One dimension short of being in a 3D game.

Love my Vita, i use it as intended, playing in small chunks rather than enabling Timesink mode like i do with the PS3, and it's better for it, it means i have only finished Uncharted Golden Abyss whilst still having steady progress through a whole bunch of others.
    When the new games come i will not have been waiting impatiently.

Oh and Playstation Toilet Paper? Go on then!

PRO Member

I love my vita, i use it all the time. Really it's gonna come down to how much you want one. If you really really want one you're not gonna care and you'll just go buy one. If you're iffy about one obviously you're gonna wait until you feel comfortable with buying one. Or maybe that's just my silly logic kicking in again

Lvl 3 - Bronze

I would wait as others have said before buying one.

Like with the PSP, I waited several years for their to be a catalog of games.

Also CFW.
    Truly, we live in the age of shitty games.

Local Drunk

Quote Originally Posted by Krysta91 View Post
    I love my vita, i use it all the time. Really it's gonna come down to how much you want one. If you really really want one you're not gonna care and you'll just go buy one. If you're iffy about one obviously you're gonna wait until you feel comfortable with buying one. Or maybe that's just my silly logic kicking in again
    ^This pretty much sums it up.

Awesomely awesome sig by Beam & social group bar by DaRe
    The Local Drunk's Experience With Trophies

Buy my book, Alteration

If you have Plus, you'll be getting lots of free stuff to get you started. Plus, most of the "awaited" titles have finally released and lots of other apps are out too. It's a great handheld and I personally use it almost daily.
    Oh, and Playstation toilet paper you say?

Sig by DaRe
    Click the sig and be whisked away to my checklist (now with updates!)! Or click here to visit my YouTube channel!
    Author of Alteration, now available!

Breakfast and Chill

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Sparx View Post
    with that said i will infact be buying another vita but i'm going to wait closer to the ps4 launch because i've heard and seen rumors that there will be a bundle that includes the vita with a new ps4. now that could be complete bullshit but just incase it's true i'm going to wait. and if it's not true then i'll buy one when i get a ps4 cause i'm sure it will be way cheaper by then anyway.
    If this is true I will be getting a Vita. another $150-200 on top of the PS4 is good for me.

Fight the Future

I use my Vita just about everyday. It's the best handheld system ever made, in my opinion, and if you're a PlayStation Plus member it's even better. WRC3 for the Vita is a fantastic version of the game and easily the best racing game I've played on a handheld. I'm sure there will be a GT Vita at some point as well and I'm sure that will be even more amazing.

Lord of all Goat-Men

Yeah don't buy one now, wait till the PS4 launch, where it will almost definitely get a price-drop.
    I'll be buying one with my PS4 for three reasons:
    1) Cross-play between the Vita and PS4
    2) There are plenty of great games available for the Vita already, most of which I've gotten for free from PS+
    3) There's a large backlog of PSP games that I've always wanted to play but never did, like Daxter and Monster Hunter.

Negator

Given the choice of spending my money on a PSV or an iPad, I think I'd rather just get kicked in the balls.

Avatar & Sig by djunglist care of Digital Terror // Elite TG bar fabricated by Luckay

PRO Member

I've got both an iPad and a Vita and now I wouldn't want to be without either of them.

The iPad is so much more practical for internet browsing and general email duties than a laptop for example; by the time the laptop has booted up you can have done whatever you wanted online with the iPad and got back to whatever you were doing before. As has been said, new versions of the iPad do get churned out quite often, but the differences between them are so slight you would hardly notice until a few models down the line.

As for the Vita, I picked mine up in the Black Friday sales before Christmas last year and then promptly did nothing with it for nearly two months. Now though I wouldn't be without it, Golden Abyss, Gravity Rush, Metal Gear Solid all for free from PS+ so far and some interesting new stuff coming next month for free as well. You really don't need to spend any money on games for the Vita if you don't want to, just enjoy the generosity of Sony and get to experience games you might not normally try, for free!

Lvl 2 - Bronze

I would wait for the PS4 , there are still only a few games that interest me .

VitaUnlocked

Quote Originally Posted by blueneostang View Post
    FOREWORD: Fanboys please step aside. You would buy PlayStation toilet paper. If you comment, please admit you're a fanboy. you know who you are. I still love you no matter what.

Now, I'm in the US. I've been torn on getting a Vita for a few months now. I never got a PSP because I wasn't that impressed with the over all scheme of things. But after looking at all the stuff the Vita can do (PS3 integration, cross play, PS4 integration [thus implying prolonged support]) I'm pretty impressed with it all.

I'm a racer. NFS Most Wanted reviews for Vita are all good. Gran Turismo 6 has been announced for Vita, but that may be 2025 before we see GT6 PERIOD. I'm a FPS. Reviews for Black Ops Declassified are horrible. Battlefield on Vita does not exist.

I also have Playstation Plus. A TON of free stuff for Vita as well.

Vita owners: Are you satisfied with what's out? Do you really use it as much as you thought? Any opinions?

Or should I just buy a dang iPad?
    Buy a vita, there are tons of great games and I am sure you will find something you like.

btw I am always on my vita and am a slight fanboy of it

VitaUnlocked

Quote Originally Posted by Bardas View Post
    I've got both an iPad and a Vita and now I wouldn't want to be without either of them.

The iPad is so much more practical for internet browsing and general email duties than a laptop for example; by the time the laptop has booted up you can have done whatever you wanted online with the iPad and got back to whatever you were doing before. As has been said, new versions of the iPad do get churned out quite often, but the differences between them are so slight you would hardly notice until a few models down the line.

As for the Vita, I picked mine up in the Black Friday sales before Christmas last year and then promptly did nothing with it for nearly two months. Now though I wouldn't be without it, Golden Abyss, Gravity Rush, Metal Gear Solid all for free from PS+ so far and some interesting new stuff coming next month for free as well. You really don't need to spend any money on games for the Vita if you don't want to, just enjoy the generosity of Sony and get to experience games you might not normally try, for free!
    What Bardas said

Lvl 1 - Bronze

kind of in the same boat here. been contemplating buying a vita for a few weeks now. i'm just so sick of Angry Birds and Fruit Ninja on my iphone while at work. i have PS+ so i'll really never have a shortage of games (whether they're good games or not, never gonna know until i play them). the only reason i'm holding off is because you KNOW there's gonna be a price drop soon. i'm pretty much waiting til i catch a sale for $200 or the price drops permanently to near that price.
    PS3 Trophy Card | 360 GamerCard | Twitter | Facebook | last.fm
    --------------------
    Would be a HUGE help if anyone would play my LittleBigPlanet 2 Level

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast