Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Vita Remote Play with PS4 Mandatory

This is a discussion on Vita Remote Play with PS4 Mandatory within the General PS Vita Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Rumor: Sony making Remote Play mandatory with PS4 [update: Sony confirms] | Joystiq Update: Yoshida has confirmed on Twitter that ...

INTJ

Vita Remote Play with PS4 Mandatory

Rumor: Sony making Remote Play mandatory with PS4 [update: Sony confirms] | Joystiq

Update: Yoshida has confirmed on Twitter that all PS4 games will indeed feature PS Vita Remote Play. Says Yoshida, "Yes, it's true unless the game requires specific hardware like the camera. It will be great to play PS4 games on PS Vita."

If a new report is to be believed, it looks like nearly all PlayStation 4 games will be required to support Remote Play on the PS Vita. The rumor comes courtesy of "a trusted PlayStation 4 developer source" to Eurogamer, who states Sony is mandating Remote Play on all PS4 games that don't require the PS4 Eye camera.

Sony certainly made a big deal of PS4's Gaikai-fueled Remote Play during the console's announcement event. Today's report also jives with previous statements from Sony Worldwide Studios president Shuhei Yoshida. Back in February, Yoshida told Engadget that Sony was requesting all developers test their games on Remote Play before submitting them for certification, though he made no mention of a mandate.

Of course, the Vita doesn't have as many inputs as a DualShock 4, though Yoshida noted that developers can create custom control schemes for the Vita that make use of contextual buttons on its touch screen.

suddenly every ps4 game requires the ps eye in some form.

PRO Member

Doesn't necessarily mean you will HAVE to use it. Just that all games will need to be ABLE to use it.

It's a nice option to have

|
    Sig - Initial D - Mazda RX-7 (FC3S)|
    |by Smashguy |

|Avy - Animals As Leaders|

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by daftprophet View Post
    Doesn't necessarily mean you will HAVE to use it. Just that all games will need to be ABLE to use it.
    never said that.

DON'T BLINK

meh. will stick to the dual shock

Indie Game Developer

This is a good thing, and if Sony's tech works like they say it does, the hardware built into the PS4 should make developer implementation of Remote Play super easy and quick. Seems like a win-win-win to me, I can't wait to play infamous: ss on my vita
    Hey. Hey. Look. Look at me. I'm playing video games.

INTJ

Sony is competing against Wii U Over the toilet basically

Trophy Guide Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    Sony is competing against Wii U Over the toilet basically
    How does making Remote Play mandatory, mean they are competing against the Wii U? Seems like they are trying to add more functionality for the Vita and another reason to buy one.

PRO Member

I strongly disagree with this decision. Not all games are meant to be played in a portable console. I'd be cool with if it was up to the developers to decide, but in my opinion playing some games on Vita will be killing the experience. Can you imagine a game like The Last of Us being portable? Because I can't.

Trophy Guide Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by annare41 View Post
    I strongly disagree with this decision. Not all games are meant to be played in a portable console. I'd be cool with if it was up to the developers to decide, but in my opinion playing some games on Vita will be killing the experience. Can you imagine a game like The Last of Us being portable? Because I can't.
    Just because its available, doesnt mean you have to play it that way...I think its a good feature as it opens up more use for the vita for those that travel often.

Kiwi Defender

I just hope that the fact that they must include the feature doesn't affect the game in some way or another, because then they'll just be harming consumers in their pitiful attempt to sell the Vita.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

PRO Member

Not a bad idea at all, the last console to use this idea was the turbo graphix 16 and it's turbo express (handheld) which had a card reader slot similar to the one used in the console. I've often wondered why, with the internal memory of the PSP and vita, sony hasn't looked into doing this before.

Awesome sig by
    Kid420247! Thank you so much!!!

Many thanks to RaveNScythe18
    for the awesome platcard!!!

My Trophy List
    : Click Here

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    suddenly every ps4 game requires the ps eye in some form.
    Once again, you completely missed the point so you can spin this article as a bad thing.

There is zero fucking reference to "EVERY PS4 GAME REQUIRES THE PS EYE" you ignoramus. It only comes into play if you're stupid enough to believe that enabling Remote Play on a Vita will somehow harm your game.

It says "for every game NOT using PS Eye (which is more than 99%), the developer must support PS Vita cross-play". How the fuck is being able to play your PS4 games on a Vita a bad thing?!?! Sony implemented a similar policy for Trophies and look how that turned out...it's a win for gamers and developers.

This policy suddenly opens up a feature PSP and Vita clients have been wanting for a long time - to actually use Remote Play to play your home console games. Having this ability is the one redeeming feature of CFW on a Vita.

Until now, it's been up to publishers to licence games for use on both PSP/Vita and PS3 if we wanted to use Remote Play, resulting in a tiny catalogue of officially supported games (most PS3 games work unofficially on Vita CFW). Now, it's not an option. Vita owners fucking rejoice...best news ever!

BTW, Sony was doing the cross-play thing with PSP <> PS3 way before Nintendo and it works from more than a 12ft radius, so this has NOTHING to do with the Wii U. Just as Nintendo copied the idea of Motion Control from Sony, they've done it again with their ridiculous gamepad remote. So don't go putting the cart before the horse...Sony's the innovator here, not Nintendo.
    Last edited by ant1th3s1s; 05-29-2013 at 10:42 PM.

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    Once again, you completely missed the point so you can spin this article as a bad thing.
    That's pretty well much why he's it's on ignore for me. Trolls be trollin, as always. I only read their posts when I have the urge to feel dumber for some reason.
    <signature>
    [Insert garbage no one gives two fucks about]
    </signature>

Puns always intended.

One dimension short of being in a 3D game.

It's great news, currently Sony's HD classics go remote play and i have just been playing Shadow Of The Colossus on my Vita and that's awesome enough but to think i might get to play say... Elder Scrolls VI or Fallout 4 or indeed Metal Gear Solid 5 on the portable device means i'm going to annoy my wife even more by hogging the bathroom.

I guess with the streaming tech that a lot of first party PS3 games will become streamable so the likes of Killzone 2, Infamous, Ratchet And Clank and God Of War III can go portable on the cheap. Sure it's a smaller screen but it's clear enough to not matter on most titles.

I know not all games will be suited but it will only be an option and a good one at that, especially for Trophy Hunters who have chronic bowel problems ( Not me but i'm positive they exist ).

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by Trunksu25 View Post
    Not a bad idea at all, the last console to use this idea was the turbo graphix 16 and it's turbo express (handheld) which had a card reader slot similar to the one used in the console. I've often wondered why, with the internal memory of the PSP and vita, sony hasn't looked into doing this before.
    Well remote play exists, it's just very unpopular among developers (and thus the public hasn't been able to get a good feel for it). I have my PS3 in stand-by at all times (although have it set to only be connectable via my VPN). Mostly it's so I can watch movies and listen to music wherever I'm at (I travel a lot with my job). Who needs "the cloud" when you can create your own with a PS3, PMS and 8TB of shared network storage . The only game I ever really played via remote play on my PSP was Bionic Commando Rearmed (it works fine on a Vita but the graphics aren't so hot) and Tokyo Jungle on my Vita. I have a 50/25 FiOS connection to a 100mbit VPN and honestly can't tell the difference between local and Internet play most of the time (insane 1080p animu being compressed and sent over the net can sometimes show small hiccups).

I thought this was announced at the press conference, but it's good for clarification and personally I hope that it works out. I use my Vita constantly because of travel, but if I always had access to my content and an HDTV, I might not pick up the Vita more than now and again (it took Persona 4 Golden coming out for me to finally buy one).

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by DaveyHasselhoff View Post
    Just because its available, doesnt mean you have to play it that way...I think its a good feature as it opens up more use for the vita for those that travel often.
    My fear is that it will affect quality somehow, as someone pointed above. It is cool for certain games, but for others in my opinion it kills the magic. I think if they focus on one console rather than making sure it works on the Vita they'd make a better game.

Also think about graphics, multiplayer... how can Battlefield 4 work on a Vita?

PRO Member

Games that require precision will be difficult to play on the smaller screen.

I've been playing NFS: Most Wanted on my Vita, and seeing as it's essentially the same as the PS3 version, it does a poor job of mitigating the difficulties of not having a large display. A lot of the time, unless the screen is like 3-4 inches from my face (which isn't an issue if I'm laying down on my stomach), I can't see any of the upcoming corners, or oncoming traffic when I'm going 150+ mph, which makes a lot of the harder races troublesome if not impossible. I imagine any similarly fast paced games will have the same issues, and I don't see developers optimizing the game because someone decides to Remote Play it.

I just hope Sony's developer tools makes this supposed mandatory addition as simple as possible, because the last thing we need is developers delaying (cancelling? not likely, yet yikes) PS4 releases because of it.
    <signature>
    [Insert garbage no one gives two fucks about]
    </signature>

Lvl 9 - Gold

It makes sense to want to make the Vita more marketable, but I don't think EVERY game should have Vita options as not every game goes well with a Vita.
    > LIKE my Facebook page, where I post Gaming News!! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Evere...22814831104589 <

Add me on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/The1TheBob?ref=tn_tnmn

Follow me - https://twitter.com/The1TheBob

My FAVE FIVE:

WWE: Goldust, Zack Ryder, Bray Wyatt, Cody Rhodes, Big E Langston

illegal in 9 countries

My fear is that it will affect quality somehow, as someone pointed above. It is cool for certain games, but for others in my opinion it kills the magic. I think if they focus on one console rather than making sure it works on the Vita they'd make a better game.

There will be an expectation that the experience won't be as good on the Vita, and Vita owners will accept that because it's intended primarily for display on a HDTV and using a DualShock 4.

Keep in mind that it's exactly the same PS4 game, it's just being streamed to a smaller screen with slightly different controls. You're not running a PS4 game natively on a Vita, the Vita is a dumb terminal connecting to the PS4. The Vita is replacing the TV not the console, so there's no sacrifice in terms of graphics or any other KPI other than slightly different controls for some games (L2, L3, R2 & R3), and they can be replaced with touchscreen gestures.

All that most PS4 games will need to do is implement an API to map Vita controls to PS4 controls. That's it. Done. I just wish they did the same for mouse & keyboard (native PS3 m/kb sucks). This is a licencing deal more than anything.
    Last edited by ant1th3s1s; 05-29-2013 at 10:43 PM.

★ Extra Astronomical ★

The ps4 will still be doing all of the heavy lifting - the vita is pretty much serving as a small tv screen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast