Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Vita no longer a actual game platform, treated like a accessory

This is a discussion on Vita no longer a actual game platform, treated like a accessory within the General PS Vita Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Gamasutra - The Vita is now an 'extender' as Sony focuses on its network Sony Computer Entertainment president and group ...

INTJ

Vita no longer a actual game platform, treated like a accessory

Gamasutra - The Vita is now an 'extender' as Sony focuses on its network

Sony Computer Entertainment president and group CEO Andrew House was onstage at Sony's E3 press conference in Los Angeles this week to sell viewers on the future of PlayStation, but prior to that he spoke at length about Sony's current state of affairs in an interview with Edge Online.

Notably, the company is shifting gears in how it sells the PlayStation Vita, looking upon it less as a standalone game console and more as an accessory that extends the PlayStation Network.

"We’ve taken a more holistic view with our platforms. With Remote Play, Vita has now essentially become an extender or an enhancer for the main platform for other rooms in the house, or when someone else wants to use the main screen," says House, claiming that Sony is also hoping to market it to younger players in the future.

The company is also embracing the Vita's indie appeal and seems keen to use it as a way to introduce more independent creators to the PSN ecosystem. "It’s becoming a very accessible and easy on-ramp for independent developers," said House. "Those who have had some success in the mobile space and now want to work on games that are that little bit richer, that have a more dedicated gaming interface."

House also speaks a bit about how technically challenging it has been for Sony to build the PlayStation Now game streaming service, prognosticating that it will be "a harbinger of where we will be able to take the business once the technologies come more fully online."

That sort of message falls in line with our own belief that Sony's future rests on the strength of the digital content distribution network it's trying to build.

so who wants to buy a 200$ Playstation controller?

PRO Member

Sony is only part of a handful of publishers/developers that release content on the Vita. Not that this is a complete list, yet obviously there's dozens of other companies making Vita compatible games - List of PlayStation Vita games - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Just because Sony shifts its focus, doesn't mean everyone else just up and disappears.

I've lost count how many times I've read the title of a thread, and know exactly who posted it :/ - real imaginative 'PS360'. Stick to being positive, which in your case, revolves around talking about Nintendo.
    <signature>
    [Insert garbage no one gives two fucks about]
    </signature>

The only sane person here

This is honestly what I was expecting it to happen at some point....

Lvl 4 - Silver

I love my vita. Excellent on the go and great for playing my ps4 at home. Can't wait for pstv! Can you take the wii u gamepad on the go? I thought not.

Lvl 9 - Gold

Ill pick my Vita over Nintendo's Wii U gamepad any day. Lots of great games for the Vita and more on the way. I like Nintendo but this time they haven't come close to giving me a reason to buy a Wii U.

Lvl 9 - Gold

i personally have been holding out on getting the Vita for this reason. there are practically no AAA titles on it, mostly indie games. don't get me wrong, i fully support indie games and their developers, but I'm just getting tired of seeing all these games that look like they belong on the original Nintendo or an Atari come out on systems with extensive and massively powerful hardware such as the PS4, or even the PS3.

Resident PHD

So it is now a lot like the Gameboy Advance. Some great games, some good ports, some interesting indy games and can be used as a controller.

The Gameboy Advance was a good system...and so is the Vita. Thanks for pointing that out Noodles

AWESOME SIG AND AVY BY ALISON CHECK OUT HER WORK HERE

Lvl 1 - Bronze

i feel like this situation is sorta like the PSP....though i have faith in Sony i'll see what they are up too this year

Banned

This was going to happen sometime. Vita just doesn't have that many games at all (I'm talking AAA titles, not some indie mini-game), which is the main reason I haven't bought one yet.

Buy my book, Alteration

The Vita's becoming a way to play other Playstation console games on the go. That's not bad, it's just the Vita needs some of its own big titles.

Sig by DaRe
    Click the sig and be whisked away to my checklist (now with updates!)! Or click here to visit my YouTube channel!
    Author of Alteration, now available!

Lvl 8 - Gold

I hate that i ever bought the Vita,big budget games are not meant to be played on a hand held.remote play absolutely sucks,with those tiny sticks it is a chore to acquire an aim,vita is an absolute failure and will never recover.I also think Sony is shooting themselves in the foot with Playstation t.v.

PRO Member

I feel like the people who are saying the vita is an accessory are ones that don't own it and were never interested in owning one in the first place. I am looking forward to lots of vita games coming out, I can't wait for the SAO Hollow Fragment and Tales of Hearts. It's actually a great time to be a Vita owner.

Signature made by PixieOfDarkness | GDT bar by djunglist

Lvl 7 - Gold

I honestly regret buying my Vita. I use it more for Facebook and music than I do for games since there are so few titles I like on it. The sticks and triggers make it hard to play shooters or anything strenuous. If anyone wants to buy mine, message me (it's in very good condition).

Lvl 4 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyblitzed View Post
    I hate that i ever bought the Vita,big budget games are not meant to be played on a hand held.remote play absolutely sucks,with those tiny sticks it is a chore to acquire an aim,vita is an absolute failure and will never recover.I also think Sony is shooting themselves in the foot with Playstation t.v.
    How is Sony shooting themselves in the foot with pstv? It's a great idea. 1) I don't need to unhook my ps4 to play it on another tv and 2) I don't need to spend $400 on another ps4 for my bedroom now. It's a perfect device for someone like my self.

Lvl 8 - Gold

I hate to admit it but its true. It sucks that they're not pumping out games and treating it like a PS4 peripheral. I need to sell it asap.

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by seether98 View Post
    How is Sony shooting themselves in the foot with pstv? It's a great idea. 1) I don't need to unhook my ps4 to play it on another tv and 2) I don't need to spend $400 on another ps4 for my bedroom now. It's a perfect device for someone like my self.
    On top of that, it will help bridge the gap for people who don't have enough for a SmartTV (for streaming, netflix, etc), and also blows competitors like Ouya, Amazon Fire TV, Roku, and other low-end set-top boxes with gaming capabilities out of the water.
    <signature>
    [Insert garbage no one gives two fucks about]
    </signature>

PRO Member

I can appreciate a bit of the point you are making... However isn't this a bit mucked up by your self-admitted love of the Wii-U? It has much of the same problems being little more than a back-porting platform for AAA titles, it only receives support from Nintendo (and even then I would argue there has yet to be a truly original/unique/stellar title), and it also seems to be consistently getting in its own way by squandering its own potential. Atleast the Vita has a few great unique titles (Tearaway is better than anything on the Wii-U).

I wasn't expecting much when I bought mine. Its a Sony portable; it is going to be doomed to 2nd place from the onset. I guess I don't feel jaded with it because I wasn't expecting a savior.
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.

Gauss's Rating Rationale:
    0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    2-4: A just plain bad game.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.
    7: An average game, should be played at some point
    8: A good game, should buy at some point
    9: A great game, day-one purchase
    10: A game that goes above and beyond the generation, its transcendent.

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Gauss View Post
    I can appreciate a bit of the point you are making... However isn't this a bit mucked up by your self-admitted love of the Wii-U? It has much of the same problems being little more than a back-porting platform for AAA titles, it only receives support from Nintendo (and even then I would argue there has yet to be a truly original/unique/stellar title), and it also seems to be consistently getting in its own way by squandering its own potential. Atleast the Vita has a few great unique titles (Tearaway is better than anything on the Wii-U).
    Tearaway is a good game and all but it doesn't beat games like Wonderful 101 or Super mario 3D World for me.

Puns always intended.

One dimension short of being in a 3D game.

Plenty of games on Vita, it seems to be an argument of those with limited variety pools, indiephobia, and/or those who have simply not played a Vita, to bemoan it's supposedly malnourished catalogue. It' not exactly lacking in games going forward either.

Does it matter where the games come from as long as there are games to play? Ports like Little King's Story, Lone Surivivor and Thomas Was Alone are just as playable (and more entertaining than) as any Triple A title, cross-platform titles like Guacamelee! work better on handheld, and for the most part, HD Collections like Metal Gear Solid and Sly are a joy to play again in a portable format. The exclusives are rare, there is no denying that but ones such as Tearaway, Killzone Mercenary, LBP Vita, Uncharted Golden Abyss, Gravity Rush, and Soul Sacrifice are all at least, good games. I'd argue it has a more diverse selection than 3DS in terms of exclusive portable titles.

Sony pushing Remote Play is not doom and gloom for Vita, it's another option, another reason for someone to buy one. At worst, Sony are trying to ensure Vita lives on in a tough handheld market. Is that really such a bad idea?

Lvl 4 - Silver

I never regret buying my vita & i enjoyed every moment using it. I'm looking forward for Tales of hearts R and Danganronpa 2 and the many games which will surely be coming in the future.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast