Game Cartridges with Internal Saving Capablities will Not Save to Memory Card On Vita

This is a discussion on Game Cartridges with Internal Saving Capablities will Not Save to Memory Card On Vita within the General PS Vita Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Vita games with internal memory can't use memory cards | Joystiq Ready to learn even more about the intricacies of ...

INTJ

Game Cartridges with Internal Saving Capablities will Not Save to Memory Card On Vita

Vita games with internal memory can't use memory cards | Joystiq

Ready to learn even more about the intricacies of Vita game saving, long before you'll ever hit "save" on a Vita game? After reporting the list of games requiring external memory card, Kotaku Japan followed up with SCEI to get more information about the save system.

Games capable of saving directly to their own cartridges, the site learned, won't offer you the option to save to an external card. That means you'll never be given the choice -- games that can save internally will always do so. The site also discovered that you'll have to have a memory card in the Vita at startup in order to operate games that require external storage.

Sony told Kotaku Japan that in addition to save data, some games may use the memory card for DLC. Got it?

Fuckin software how does it work

Death is Awaiting....

Umm.... say what?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Sig by Achantion

The only sane person here

This makes no sense

Sic Vis Pacem Bellum

im lost, just for guess sake
    is this a way to prevent hacking or manipulating game saves someway?
    sorry im really in WTF mode here
    and how big do they expect external memory to be for these games?
    Signature Provided By Djunglist

Lvl 9 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by The Secret Society View Post
    im lost, just for guess sake
    is this a way to prevent hacking or manipulating game saves someway?
    sorry im really in WTF mode here
    and how big do they expect external memory to be for these games?
    Probably that. And it depends on the game I suppose, but not that big of a deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post

Fuckin software how does it work
    Whats wrong? Didn't seem confusing at all to me. Sounds like were going back to the Nes, Snes, Genesis, 3ds days . Nothing wrong with this unless a lot of people take after Capcom and make it a one time play....

I'm going to assume this is for Vita only games so their would be no reason or need to export your save data. Not to mention you won't have to worry about a YLOD or anything unless you step on your vita game.... Smart move imo.

Lvl 9 - Gold

Fuck, I miss memory cards.

Can't they just bring those back and be done with it? Why complicate everything!

Fox
    Si vis bellum, para pacem

Quote Originally Posted by Minarum View Post
    Probably that. And it depends on the game I suppose, but not that big of a deal.

Whats wrong? Didn't seem confusing at all to me. Sounds like were going back to the Nes, Snes, Genesis, 3ds days . Nothing wrong with this unless a lot of people take after Capcom and make it a one time play....

I'm going to assume this is for Vita only games so their would be no reason or need to export your save data. Not to mention you won't have to worry about a YLOD or anything unless you step on your vita game.... Smart move imo.
    <3

Exactly. I don't see how this is a bad thing - unless you, say, lose your cartridge or it breaks or something.

Having to already have a memory card in the Vita when you turn it on seems a little inconvenient - unless I'm reading that wrong, and they just mean having the card in before you actually start the game, and not having a card in when you actually turn the system on.

ReviewHaven PC Fund: $4.90 // $525.27 [ DONATE ]

PATREON \\ CURIOOS \\ BEHANCE \\ VENOMGRAPHICS \\ REVIEWHAVEN

Lvl 9 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Having to already have a memory card in the Vita when you turn it on seems a little inconvenient - unless I'm reading that wrong, and they just mean having the card in before you actually start the game, and not having a card in when you actually turn the system on.
    Having a card in when you start the game, but only games that require an external memory card. It's the same thing as trying to play a game like FallOut3 when you only have 1gb of room remaining. You won't be able to install the game and play it. It's just not going to work.

PRO Member

Not that confusing. Not that big of a deal either... until capcom starts making Vita games.

Sig by - ~ Avatar by - DaRe

Zombie Killin' Business
    Are you a Professional Zombie Slayer? Join now!

Side Project
    My (incomplete) checklist, and trophy guides.

The GGA
    Sig Battles, SotW, SotM, and more!

Got a YouTube Channel?
    Post it here!

PRO Member

I understand that some games will save internally as there is no problem about losing your save which is actually a good idea . and I understand DLC will be stored on memory cards, right? so why do they need external storage for some games but not for others

Youtube.Com/Kc1597
    Signature By Djunglist (Sigs and Beyond)

Resident PHD

Yup really not that confusing, some games will have internal saves some won't. Think of it as Megaman vs Zelda for the nes (except replace password with external save).

AWESOME SIG AND AVY BY ALISON CHECK OUT HER WORK HERE

Ghost Assassin

What's the point of doing this? I honestly can't think of a reason as to why they would do this, care to enlighten me?

Lvl 9 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by kc1598 View Post
    I understand that some games will save internally as there is no problem about losing your save which is actually a good idea . and I understand DLC will be stored on memory cards, right? so why do they need external storage for some games but not for others
    ............. Read what I already said. http://www.ps3trophies.com/forums/so...html#post47773

But on the flip side, that's like asking why we have a hard drive for the ps3....

Quote Originally Posted by Danko1900 View Post
    What's the point of doing this? I honestly can't think of a reason as to why they would do this, care to enlighten me?
    There are a ton of reasons why you would want to do this. Besides what I already said here. http://www.ps3trophies.com/forums/so...html#post47773

For Vita only games, what would be the point of being able to export your save file besides trying to hack the game or the PSP system? If these saves only effect Vita only games, why would you care? Actually, it's saving you extra HD space by saving on the game cartridge. Lets not forget, you don't have to worry about ever losing your save data unless you lose the game or break it. You can play it on anyone's Vita... The possibilities are endless where as being able to export will cause nothing but security issues and quite possibly include account locked saves like the PS3 currently has. There isn't a single reason NOT to do this, unless it's a Vita/Ps3 game. Then it has to be exportable or atleast transferable towards the cloud storage.

Now I don't know about you, but proof has already shown that the Psp being cracked for piracy and homebrew destroyed that handheld and any chances for other IP's to be developed for it. I don't want to see that happen again with the Vita showing even more promise then the PSP did.

PRO Member

While I'd appreciate the option, I will say if they choose to implement memory on the games... I prefer this over needing memory cards. This way my saves will always come with my game.

This isn't particularly uncommon, my DS saves like this and its never bothered me.
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.

Gauss's Rating Rationale:
    0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    2-4: A just plain bad game.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.
    7: An average game, should be played at some point
    8: A good game, should buy at some point
    9: A great game, day-one purchase
    10: A game that goes above and beyond the generation, its transcendent.

PRO Member

............. Read what I already said. http://www.ps3trophies.com/forums/so...html#post47773

But on the flip side, that's like asking why we have a hard drive for the ps3....
    So from what I understand, If the game needs more space than what is provided on the catridge,then It saves to external storage right? and about the ps3 hard drive thing, well we have a hard drive because we can't store data on the discs but here we can store save data on the catridge which is why I asked why we need external storage, but I think I understand now, thanks

Youtube.Com/Kc1597

Lvl 9 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by kc1598 View Post
    So from what I understand, If the game needs more space than what is provided on the catridge,then It saves to external storage right? and about the ps3 hard drive thing, well we have a hard drive because we can't store data on the discs but here we can store save data on the catridge which is why I asked why we need external storage, but I think I understand now, thanks
    Correct. But even on regular PSP games, you sometimes needed a SD card to install data on, or the game ran extremely slow. I'm sure the same will happen for the Vita, but obviously at a much larger scale.

But as for a HD in the ps3, we could of used a memory card like we have been using for 15+ years. But it's there for all the DL'ed content, and retail games requiring a massive install onto the system to operate properly. Which again, I believe this will be the case for the Vita. Lets not forget updates for online games and such as well . Anyways, np.

PRO Member

Correct. But even on regular PSP games, you sometimes needed a SD card to install data on, or the game ran extremely slow. I'm sure the same will happen for the Vita, but obviously at a much larger scale.

But as for a HD in the ps3, we could of used a memory card like we have been using for 15+ years. But it's there for all the DL'ed content, and retail games requiring a massive install onto the system to operate properly. Which again, I believe this will be the case for the Vita. Lets not forget updates for online games and such as well . Anyways, np.
    Oh yeah the memory card thing, sorry forget about those, yeah we have hard drives cuz there is not space on a memory card they were like only 64mb which is like nothing so thanks for clearing that up and yeah well i never had a psp so I never knew about the game running slow problem so thanks for really clearing everything up now

Youtube.Com/Kc1597