Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sony tries to defend Memory card pricing

This is a discussion on Sony tries to defend Memory card pricing within the General PS Vita Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Originally Posted by Nagflar That info is in the article itself you know ? whoops I was doing something else ...

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post
    That info is in the article itself you know ?
    whoops I was doing something else came back and 4got what I was gonna post...

"PS3T.com Member Since 2009"

Lvl 7 - Gold

I honestly haven't looked at one thing regarding the Vita (until this thread...obv...) but i'm just not looking forward to a new system...I have so many games on my ps3 that i haven't even touched yet that I'm just NOT excited about a new system.......just my two cents.
    http://www.mrrebates.com?refid=969355

Cause I'm the Wilt Chamberlin of that upper body grip!

PRO Member

As I said before, this is simple: Sony isn't allowed to be the SOLE PROVIDER.

They have to atleast permit 3rd party competition, even for their proprietary formatted card. Even within the guise of their own platform, they are not allowed to hold a monopoly.

Doesn't mean that someone else will step up to the plate, but Sony can't create a format to deliberately block the market.

If the price is artificially inflated, which I am willing to bet money it is, a 3rd party will come in and put the price in check.
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.

Gauss's Rating Rationale:
    0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    2-4: A just plain bad game.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.
    7: An average game, should be played at some point
    8: A good game, should buy at some point
    9: A great game, day-one purchase
    10: A game that goes above and beyond the generation, its transcendent.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

memory cards are too high and this was a bad decision on sony's part their just hurting themselves

The Site Mascot

Quote Originally Posted by DaveyHasselhoff View Post
    I dont know what everyone is bitching about...Sony doesnt make products to be your friends or gain followers on Facebook. Sony is a company and the entire point of having a business is to make money. so your spending $400 bucks or so...big deal YOU ARE GETTING A SUPERIOR PRODUCT... even a 32GB iPod touch costs about 300 bucks and it isnt even close to being as good as the Vita....and especially when I see people that paid 150 bucks or so just to get a fucking dragon statue for SkyRim

I guess what i'm trying to say is STOP BEING CHEAP >:F>:F>:F Either pay the money and get one or don't...but when you complain about it being so expensive when it really isn't, you sound like a whiny kid...It's like going to a nice restaurant then complaining about their prices when you look at the menu
    Not all of us are rich like you.

I'm starting to not want the Vita. At first I wanted it but now I think I'd be satisfied with just my 3DS. If I DO get a Vita it would be a good year or two, I'd wait for a price drop or at least for Sony's executives to remove the log from their asses.

Avater and signature created by my Best Friend DaRe_xLw
    Aqua's Furry Adventures Through Time and Space.

The Bushiest Pig

Quote Originally Posted by ATHF89 View Post

I'm starting to not want the Vita. At first I wanted it but now I think I'd be satisfied with just my 3DS. If I DO get a Vita it would be a good year or two, I'd wait for a price drop or at least for Sony's executives to remove the log from their asses.
    I'm not rich, yet I am getting it along with some acessories. I'm saving money from my b-day and X-mas, I recently began working. Saving money isn't that hard to do. Hell I used to spend all my momey within a matter of weeks. Last eyar all ym b-day and X-mas that I kept (whist the rest went in to the bank) was put on reservers for games within a month.

So if having a job and saving your money in order to aquire these items classes a person as "rich" then yes, many people are "rich".

Resident PHD

It's 299 and it comes with a game, memory card and carrying case. The 3ds launched at 249 with no game (plus no games even to buy). So if you look at it the Vita is already beating the 3ds and it hasn't even come out yet (plus the Vita doesn't have health warning labels printed on the side of the box and a broken online store.)

AWESOME SIG AND AVY BY ALISON CHECK OUT HER WORK HERE

The Site Mascot

Quote Originally Posted by dr_mayus View Post
    It's 299 and it comes with a game, memory card and carrying case. The 3ds launched at 249 with no game (plus no games even to buy). So if you look at it the Vita is already beating the 3ds and it hasn't even come out yet (plus the Vita doesn't have health warning labels printed on the side of the box and a broken online store.)
    The point is this thing is becoming a money whore. First off I'd rather punch a kitten than have AT&T 3G. Second think of how many memory cards you may go through. We have NO idea right now how much space these games take up. Oh and there is no excuse why we can't save our data to the games themselves, they are card media, UNLESS Sony announces that you can later on. I'm not a Sony hater, I'm just disappointed in the direction the Vita is heading with it's prices.

Avater and signature created by my Best Friend DaRe_xLw
    Aqua's Furry Adventures Through Time and Space.

PRO Member

I guess im going to wait until theres a major drop in the price tag knowing if i get it in day 1 i wont get anything else for it in months

Kiwi Defender

Quote Originally Posted by Bushpig94 View Post
    So if having a job and saving your money in order to aquire these items classes a person as "rich" then yes, many people are "rich".
    But bush, that'd make a lot of people part of the 1% .

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Ya the prices are beyond outrageous

The Bushiest Pig

Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post
    But bush, that'd make a lot of people part of the 1% .
    That it would

Lvl 9 - Gold

Besides the web browsing as you sarcastically posted in the other thread, what are you afraid of? Because being rich has nothing to do with it. I'm sure a 4gb card which is included will be plenty for most gamers. It's all the PSN store purchases that only "rich" people can afford that will most likely take up most of the cards space. Now if you like to keep all of your Vita games installed after you've finished them, then that would pose as a problem.

The point is this thing is becoming a money whore. First off I'd rather punch a kitten than have AT&T 3G. Second think of how many memory cards you may go through. We have NO idea right now how much space these games take up. Oh and there is no excuse why we can't save our data to the games themselves, they are card media, UNLESS Sony announces that you can later on. I'm not a Sony hater, I'm just disappointed in the direction the Vita is heading with it's prices.
    Lol, whats wrong with AT&T 3g? Some games will allow you to save on the games themselves. This has already been said before.... But a memory card IS required for some games just to even boot up. The same with some PSP games and Ps3 games. Nothing's really changed except Sony has their own Vita cards, and you will be able to save your games on some of the cartridges. Just sounds like your mad over prices for a big Sony SD card.

Think of it as an investment, just like any PS product you've purchased. Unless your part of the Piracy crowd and took the OtherOS removal as an attack against the consumer, Sony brand products are well worth the money. They deliver and shit, they haven't failed yet, with the exception of the Go. But that is just old technology trying to catch up with the DD times which wasn't going to work.

PRO Member

The point is this thing is becoming a money whore.
    And if these prices become official in the US (which we don't know), the artificial inflation will go away.

Sony can't be the sole provider, thats a no-no. If a company wants to make a competing memory card, Sony has to provide a means by which they can.
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.

Gauss's Rating Rationale:
    0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    2-4: A just plain bad game.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.
    7: An average game, should be played at some point
    8: A good game, should buy at some point
    9: A great game, day-one purchase
    10: A game that goes above and beyond the generation, its transcendent.

Monica Rial #1 Fan

Why is everyone sweating this. It's the same for all technology. When it first comes out, it's expensive as hell, but as time moves on and the technology improves, prices start to go down, and they usually go down fast. It's the same for every technology. Those who want it right away will pay the higher prices, those of us who are patient will wait and get lower prices later on.

It's been this way since technology started, why would it change now.

Lvl 2 - Bronze

I'm just not seeing the big deal.

Until we know the specs of the cards, don't assume they are just "SD" cards. We need more information on the performance of the cards before anything is actually stated by them. Until then, to brand them as "Sony Brand SD cards" is just speculation and a bit out there.

Also, even if the prices are this high and they end up costing as much as this, how many of you actually plan to buy all of your games digitally?

It has been said that some of the games will save onto the memory card it comes on and some will even install the DLC to that card. Plus, I assume most of us in here own PS3s and the big 4.00 update was specifically FOR Vita app and game management. In the event that these cards are as much as they are, you can just store all of your Vita digital content on your PS3 and transfer to your Vita what you actually plan to play for that day or for the duration of a trip you are going on and etc. We had similar for the PSP as well.

You can always compensate too by buying the larger retail games at retail and NOT on the store if they are too big.

Also, is there clearly a mark up to make up for lost money on the Vita hardware? Of course. That's how Sony plays the game, this isn't new. However, is piracy a huge issue? YES!

Many games didn't come over to the USA and many developers gave up on the PSP due to piracy. They need to ATTEMPT to take measures to prevent it, both for the life span of the device, and to please the stockholders. The fact that it is very online oriented dictates that it will make it even more difficult, like how it is for the PS3. Sure, you could have hacked it, but then you'd lose PSN connectivity.

Overall, I just don't see the big deal. For those of us who have been purchasing Sony products for forever are used to this, it's just part of their business model. For those of you who are new to this, well, get over it. It's how they do business, if you don't like it go to the 3DS. I'm not defending them, but it seems like many people in here think it's absolutely absurd for them to charge premiums for optional devices and accessories on this piece of hardware, as if the device isn't a steal at $250 USD to begin with, or that many companies, like Sony, have been doing similar for years. Have we forgotten how much 360 hard drives cost yet people still buy them anyway?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12